Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm in Raheny so options nearby are limited. Last night was Howth from St Fintan's school to the turn for St Fintan's road. Next week I might try the climb up to Deerpark, for variety if nothing else, although I don't want to go too steep either.

Please shout if you can think of any decent alternatives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in raheny, not much else really in easy reach, other than howth.

75km around NCD this morning, past the airport then up as far as Garristown and Naul and back via Ballyboughal and Malahide. Traffic out as far as the Swords road was dreadful, although thankfully surprisingly few using the bus lane! Other than the stiff headwind on the outward leg it was a glorious day to be out.

Labelled "3 hour basic conditioning session" on my plan and had a moving time of 2:55 so pretty much nailed it! Definitely felt the combined effects of this week's training plus recent Covid but hopefully start to improve from here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6948773349

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Set out yesterday in a lovely sunny morning, aiming to go to do a loop of the Blessington lakes. I got just beyond Brittas when the heavens opened with snow.

I turned back for home, and when I reached the Jobstown inn, it was like entering another world, the ground was dry, the sun was out, so it defrosted me a little.

44 km @ 24.6 kph

oh and did I mention I wore shorts for possibly the second time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dublin -Enniskerry-Roundwood-Bray and DART home (shhhh!) , have to say Enniskerry is really catering to cyclists now, nice cycle racks outside the cafes. Great day, a smidgen cold when the sun wasnt shining but great nonetheless.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had planned a longer one today but already knackered by the time I hit the strong winds in the featherbeds so went back via Glencree, nipping in for a circuit of Knockree and then back via Devil's Elbow. Decided to take in a bit of the Wicklow way on the way home for a very slow 46k with 1085m of climbing. Fair play to the hard souls that made it over the Sally gap today, felt bitter up that way this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Barrow wheelers sportive, 100km at a very chilled pace helping a club mate on their longest spin. They felt fine until we turned into the wind 🤣 did a lot of towing but worth it to see how made up they were at completing the course.

Really well sign posted and loads of friendly Marshall's around the course. Loads of grub including some gorgeous soup, will do again next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a lovely evening for it. 72km around NCD, 820m climbing, 27.5km/h. nice and calm and balmy.

Was out for an hour or so, mild and a real stretch there now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

reminded on yesterdays spin that I sweat, a lot! Galloped around Meath for 90mins,

• Advertisement

i usually bring a bottle with some cheapo decathlon isotonic stuff dissolved in it, but i do miss having just plain water to spray my glasses down occasionally when they get sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good day out pedalling up and down Mount Leinster. I did the climb from Bunclody up to the mast, then went down to Myshal and back up the Corrabut Gap. Turned across by 9 Stones and headed for Borris for some absolutely delicious carrot cake and coffee and finally back up to 9 Stones through Tomduff and back down to Bunclody again. Not a sinner around, I don't think ten cars passed me for the day.

The weather was lovely until I started climbing up to the mast. Heavy mist all the way, visibility was only about 50 yards. It was a bit of a blessing tbh. I did the climb once before and staring up at that absolute wall was soul destroying. Today I just stared at the front wheel and kept pedalling until I hit the gate. It's not a pleasant descent either.

First time up Corrabut Gap today, that last 500m is a right kicker!

It's really lovely cycling country down there. I think the shape of the mountain and the way the roads are exposed most of the way up really give you long views you don't get many other places. I'm sure I wouldn't be praising it if the weather was harsh but on a day like today it was gorgeous.

All done for 70km with 1800m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6985743169

A bit of a battle to get out these days with a newborn in the house, but snuck out yesterday evening at 6.45pm and got 60k in before it got dark.

Stunning evening with light(ish) winds for the first time in ages and there was still some light in the sky when I got home at 8.40pm. I seemed to be the only man in Cork not cutting his lawn.

Bought new carbon aero wheels and they felt fantastic on the fast, rolling sections. The hub sounds like a swarm of bees.

It'll be a while before I get out for a long endurance ride so I went at a steady tempo pace and enjoyed every second. 60km on the button at 32.2kph with 650m climbing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

saw an 84 reg bronze alfasud - in seemingly quite good nick - out near balrath earlier. can't be too many of them left on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

We seemingly got lucky with the weather on our spin today, managed to miss all the rain. Ucd out to round wood vía Enniskerry and overa leap with a lap of the reservoir and back via the sugar loaf

94km with 1200m climbing, was very tempted to do a lap of the big block to break 100 but was under time pressure. 3:50 moving time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Only in the same way as sea horses and caterpillars😂 but thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Did Sa Calobra today. Was on the road early from Pollença so I had the road to myself.

I see our Imogen Cotter has the all time (women) Strava record!

Where are you staying out of interest? We're most likely heading back in September and trying to decide whether to go back to Port de Pollensa or stay elsewhere this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We're in Porto (Puerto?) Pollença in an Airbnb apartment(o) :)

It's a great base but if I was coming again I'd quite like to try Sóller maybe or somewhere else along the coast there. Just for a change. We've only ever stayed here in P. Pollença.

If you're here just for cycling it kinda doesn't matter cos you've all day on the bikes and you can get to everywhere, but we're mixing a bikes and family holiday so you need to be out early and back at a reasonable hour, which limits the outer extremities of your spin-reach. Like this is day 9 and today was my first time down to Calobra. That was a 4 hour spin, no hanging about, no stop, on the road for 7.30am (not a sinner about!) and back for 11.30 for a day of family non-cycling fun :).

Actually, if I was staying in this region again I'd definitely go Pollença over Port de Pollença, it's absolutely gorgeous in the town, I'd never bothered going in there before. Absolutely stunning place.

• Advertisement

Enjoying this mornings on and off road spin until a puncture about 5k into the Wicklow way showed that the Lezyne Road Drive pump is about as useful as a fart in a hurricane. Grand little yoke if you're looking for a tool to remove valve cores but apparently incapable of putting even the teeniest breath of air in a tyre tube. Instructions suggest it works as press fit as well as screw fit when reversed, for this poor fool, both ways seemed as useless as each other. 36k cycled with 911m climbed and a further 10k pushing the bike home. :(

Anyone with recommendations for a reliable mini-pump do please say. Will revert to the Top peak mini-morph for now which does the job well but is bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I have a Fabric one.

Worked fine the 3 or 4 times I've needed.

Thanks for that! Yeah I've stayed there for both family & cycling holidays before so know well how it works. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Starting to get out in the evenings again, Sally gap via Cruagh and back yesterday, Cruagh, Foxes, Glencree and back via Stocking lane this evening. No great distance but a decent dose of hills. Cracking weather starting out on both days but getting a bit bitter coming back. Fair play to those doing it in shorts and short sleeves, must be getting a bit wimpy in my old age but would not fancy it at all. Loads of cyclists out in and around the Featherbeds, Summer is coming!

First time on some decent gravel, not long left till I tackle a huge one so need to get the practice in. Cruagh lane through Masseys and up around the hellfire club 17km and 500m climbing 50% in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

got out for nice lunchtime spin today. I'm hooked on the idea of finishing this sort of spin with a tailwind, so given the current easterly, figured out a new route with one of the lads from the local club. managed to keep to decent wide main roads with plenty of room for passing, and then onto boreens and backroads. 27k at 32kmh.

its been a good week. first one in a very long time where I look like hitting my pre covid target of 150k a week, without any long spins https://strava.app.link/fSq2h1TVppb

Very regular lunchtime run for me, I usually take the river run through Masseys though not a fan of it in the dark in the past. Must give it a go again. Some great and (for me at least) challenging small side paths on the Hellfire. What's the huge one you have coming up?

That steep section on the hellfire you do, I think the segments are fence climb 1 and 2, they are very tough to stay on the bike. I walked most of it, partly might be helped by knobbly tyres but would you regularly cycle those bits?

Big one is riding part of the GB Divide route from Bristol to Manchester through Wales. Fingers crossed it all works out, there's a support vehicle if it all goes wrong, the plan is for that to be done in about 2 days at the start of May

I regularly attempt the fence climb sections but have yet to complete without putting a foot down. There is a particularly steep protruding rock bit on the top half that to date has either forced me to stall or left me in the gorse. I'm currently running 34/34 as my lowest gear with 38c Gravel King slicks on my CX bike. I'm also on flat pedals which makes having a go at it far less nerve wracking, though still have a few lingering extra kilos from Christmas that are not making life any easier. So much easier to re-start on a steep gravel section in flats for my inevitable stalls.

All the best with the GB Divide, sound like a serious challenge!

• Advertisement

Lovely solo spin up NCD this morning, beautiful morning although the strong wind was a bit of a pain at times! I'm loving exploring up that way properly for the first time - when I turned left after Naul I had a few kms in lovely countryside with not a single car on the road 😃

85km with 612m of climbing. Slightly undershot the 3 1/2 hours target of my training plan but I'm good with that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/7021866528

Post edited by mr spuckler on

Advertisement