Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I will ask the question again. What happens if the interest rate increases on a roll over. Who pays for the interest?

I am not asking about any capital repayment just the increased costs due to a bond rate increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

We are 240bn in debt already. When do we see the positive outcomes of your theory from that 240bn on the housing market?

Is 240bn of debt not enough according to your theory? How much should it be? What are the calculations behind the value you come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

A debt of around 95k per worker and approx 4 billion a year to service at current super low rates, mad to keep borrowing and makes you stop and think what have we gotten for the current 240billion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

of course they should covid is over, employers cant get enough workers and our glorious always never ending upwards property market is absolutely exploding at present ...

what could go wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Bonds are getting absolutely hammered this last 2 months, It has been the worst bond preformance since 1964 according to Paul Somerville on the last stand and that was 2 weeks ago drastically worse sense that. This is quite sobering when bonds preformed well and we're used as a safe haven during the 08 crash.

I would be very fearful of Deutsche bank, they have been on a fine line since 2016, and with bing money being pulled by Hedge funds I can only imagine they are getting hammered in bonds, Sri Lanka default comming and if there stock portfolios start to fall they could be in huge bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Why are you so concerned about Deutsche bank?

Hedge funds deposits leaving would be welcomed as they cost the bank as they attract 100% outflows.

They successfully issued AT1 bonds during the week which means that investors in these bonds are not concerned as they would loose all their investment if the bank went bust.

Sri Lanka default is very unlikely to cause major issues for European banks unless they have issued cds for Sir Lanka bonds. Deutsche Bank has a private bank out there so will have some exposure to a devalued currency but it should limited and won’t be something that I could see materially impacting the bank.

None of the Irish banks will have material exposure to sir Lanka so it won’t impact on mortgage lending or Irish house prices.

All banks will have market risk and interest rate risk limits so will have hedged risk to the bond market by purchasing IRD’s or asset swaps so I don’t see that impacting irish banks ability to issue mortgages so won’t directly impact the Irish housing market.

Where a risk does exist is in less regulated entities such as funds that are exposed to longer rates chasing yield and that will be a hit and miss depending on how the fund manger has invested and risk models they have in place. But yet again it is unlikely to impact on the Irish housing market as its debt and not real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Look to Greece as an example of an EU country whose line of credit ended before the bank bail in was enacted. Look to Cyprus after that for bank problems.

Our problem is government debt, if we don't get a write off like Greece did and we get booted out of EU for breaking fiscal rules, look at what's happening in Sri Lanka as an example of a country that cannot repay its government debt.

Never mind the chap who read a book on American national debt. We're not the USA. We're just a part of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

If they don't mind the EU disintegrating fairly sharpish then yeah we could get booted out ....but with the Italy are in, France then maybe there's a period of relative safety ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Would that imply a degree of spare capacity within the sector

We can't afford a write off from bond holders. Our repayments may decrease but our reputation will be destroyed.

We are a small open economy who need external investment. What message would a write off send to international investors?

Our credit rating would lower and future bond rates would increase.

As was said in the past we as a state are living beyond our means and in my view some tough decisions need to be made.

To bring this post back on topic the State needs to stay out of the housing sector and let it operate exactly as it should as a "market".

• Advertisement

Yes, may never happen and hopefully a long way off. Worst case stuff.

EU wrote off a large chunk of Greek debt and paid off their bondholders.

We're a basketcase, 240 billion completely unsustainable and we'll be squashed whenever it is decided we should be squashed. We could proactively prevent such a decision being made during a recession by campaigning now to the EU but we will not. It'll be kicked down to road until recession hits. Then the PIIGS will be back in the headlights.

Maybe the euro will break up. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus Christ this thread is absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It's an extreme housing crisis, what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A thread about housing, not creative reasons as to why the country is (not) going to implode. Comparisons to Sri Lanka are so laughable its beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Read all the posts on Europe/ The Euro/ Ireland / The world / China etc imploding for the last 15 years. Some people move from one theory of why the economy will tank to the next without even blinking. There has been only one person who was right all along though. The person who said that all those theories are just hogwash.

People post constantly saying that the housing crisis is not just an Irish phenomenon and they are correct, which means it is important to look beyond our shores (which some people need to do as they often think that the likes of Dublin can be compared with Zurich, London, Paris etc), to understand the bigger picture in order to understand fully our housing market problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

The expression 'laissez-faire' reminds me of a Ronan Lyons article earlier this year on what caused Ireland's property buble to burst. In it he descibes his view on a number of myths that have propogated in the years following and how policy has a signifigant role then, now and going foward.

Myth #1: Ireland built too many homes

Myth #2: Ireland’s bubble was a case study in laissez-faire

Myth #3: Ireland’s experience refutes the laws of supply and demand

Excellent report, thanks for posting.

Never realised how completely warped section 23 scheme was.

Greece is not Ireland. The main reason with Greece was a lack of Tax revenue (black economy). We are not Greece, despite what people think our tax system does have a lot of safegaurds built in to catch those who avoid tax. (its not perfect by any stretch but its good).

I for one don't want to go through what Greece went through. Austerity was crippling for them as it would be for us. I would prefer if our tax revenues were better used and our welfare system was overhauled certainly in terms of housing allocations and its impact on the property market.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I could card multiple people for ignoring the fiftieth or so warning that this is not an economics/macroeconomics/theoretical economics thread but it'd take too long. But next time I will.

Just because someone else has ignored this doesn't give you free reign to reply to their posts either.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Will no doubt put some extra strain on housing - good news for investors though, all this extra demand is bound to keep prices high

Its some contrast with the upto 200 per night for the hotel sector and of course the hotel sector will be filled up first.

We discussed at the start of the war that there would be some out to exploit the situation and lo and behold fresh out of the blocks.

I heard a certain indigenous fast food chain owner complaining of the lack of labour earlier in the year. Now he's filling up his rural hotel in Limerick

It's quite an opportunity for some, it would be some bonanza where the taxpayer to subsidise wages of profitable companies

The Poles have said the Ukrainians work twice as hard as they do and have been trying to lure them in for years to replace their people that have left for places like Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

great article - thanks for sharing! highlights again how the cost of everything here is now unsustainably bonkers !!

the persistently high costs – especially once tax reliefs on those costs expired – made it unviable to build new homes for years after the end of the bubble.

Put another way, nobody worried about the cost of building a home rising from €125,000 to €225,000 when credit had pushed prices up from €150,000 to €350,000. But when prices crashed back down to €175,000, the system had a real problem on its hands – one that policymakers have been loath to touch. Put simply, the case of Ireland shows that where housing becomes unviable to produce, due to higher costs, then we as a society are missing out on the benefit that additional housing would bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Good find.

I remember during the last crash that the PropertyPin had a list of houses whose asking prices fell.

Does such a website/list still exist somewhere? Will be interesting to see if/when the market tops out and prices reach a ceiling of such.

Does anyone think that the hot new covid money will run dry this summer, hence having an impact on house prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Does anyone think that the hot new covid money will run dry this summer, hence having an impact on house prices?

Which hot new covid money is this?

Most would be homebuyers werent receiving much covid money iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Property Pin is a website for permabear cranks, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Many of us are here fretting about housing. Simple solution is to put yourself down on the social housing list at 18. Free luxury accommodation now, for the most part. No management fees, maintenance etc. I'm dead serious too...

The vast majority of non owners , can now no longer meet their own housing needs. Yeah sure, they can stay in house shares into their forties of course, if they are that way inclined. Say you get a 400k brand new one bed apartment, what would that cost to service the mortgage per month after income tax. Lpt. Management fees. Stamp duty when purchasing. Unless you plan on having a high ish paying job, I mean 70k plus at least. Why kill yourself, for what you cant afford, when you could just opt for easy street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why should social housing be going in here? It's time for a rent review too! If its fine for workers to be fleeced over fifty percent of their income for rent, I'm sure in solidarity and in the name of fairness, social housing recipients should pay 25% of their " income" at least...

Advertisement