Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have read about many volunteers in hotels , Ukrainians shops , sorting lifts to destinations,,getting scooters and bikes for kids. Volunteers bringing food , people donating buggies and getting them to people who need them etc etc etc

None of them members of the Red Cross . Fair play to these volunteers who are working daily to help others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

But they will though...People have the cheek to complain about costs despite offering their homes for free, they'll have no problem asking a vulnerable refugee to hand over some of the dole money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Really? How do you know that?

Do all your white goods run on wind? Have you one of those solar washing machines? Or a hand cranked oven?

Presumably your car runs on the power of song?

When was the last time you actually paid a bill? 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Maybe learn to read. You'll see the electricity bill will increase a bit. Not 400 euro a month!

And car? The Ukrainians are being housed within walking distance of shops and near public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They already barred us from using them, locals patrolling with drones, holiday home owners not welcome posters, the insanity of the Irish public knows no bounds as they so passionately demonstrated recently.

No WW3, you'd be labelled a Ukrainian Conflict denier and locked up in portlaoise until you change your mind. Remember it's your choice not to give up the holiday home and go to jail. Mob fuelled media rule would win out again.

€400 a month is a joke for a holiday home people use or rent out, will people take up that offer, I don't think so, how did they even come up with that figure especially heading into holiday season when rentals and demand is at its peak.

Helen McEntee saying she'd like to avoid forcing people or businesses to give up their property if possible, is she signalling a maneuver. We've bred an absolute loony bin of wanna be dictators.

The only saving grace is Micheál Martin has one which I didn't hear he's offered up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Most will hand over something for food I would imagine but some won't when they don't have to. Nobody is going to cash in on this at 400 per month though - I think it's a fair enough gesture for the government to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Fascinating. I live in a rural area serviced by a one day a week bus. Leaves the village for the nearby town at 9 am on Saturday morning. Returns at 1 PM. The government always stated that they could not afford an improved service. And now magically they can. Truly amazing

What - I haven't seen anything that all will be housed within walking distance of all their needs. I don't think this will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So here we have it now for everyone to see.

The person who is saying we will put no limit on the amount of people coming here has pulled out of housing Ukrainians.

At a time where the cost of living is sky high this person is asking poorer people than her to take in Ukrainians.

I will be voting sinn fein for the first time.

It's like the government are doing their best to get turfed out letting someone like her who is in no way qualified to do her job be in such a position.

What a shambles this government is and without a doubt the worst I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Excellent point and it's beggar's belief the percentage of those who initially pledged seemed to have now disappeared off the face of the earth.

Yesterday it was reported 159 Ukranian refugees now in pledged private accommodation, yes 159. The remainder in Hotels (some now looking for rooms back to honour Sumner bookings), Guest Houses (also only committing to early May), Community halls, now Millstreet.

The "Group Accommodation" model now being touted is in essence direct provision and no Government Politicians dare admit it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Helen McEntee or any other politician / high earner won't be taking in any refugees. Uncapped refugees all potentially requiring medical treatment. Yet the cries about our healthcare system reaching breaking point seem to be non-existent now. Funny that.

There is a lot more than 159 Ukrainian refugees in private accommodation.

As usual the Irish people are ahead of the curve and decided the needs of these misfortunates cannot wait for the usual disfunction.

Whole villages have been filled.

I have no idea what is going on with the Red Cross, but their "numbers" have no bearing on actual reality, like I said previously they need help or it needs to be taken off them, you have a half of dozen users on here with empty houses and offers who can't get in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Very bad words for her to use.

If you were worried about forcibly l;osign your holiday home you would think twice about letting refugees stay in it for a while.

What are the first targets when it comes to forced acquisition? The ones they already have one foot in because there are already refugees in them.

Thats probably a hat trick of own goals by McEntee in one day.

Can you give us the names of these villages you refer to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I reckon her house is big enough to house a whole family, or two. Plus the circumstances aren't ideal for anyone, glad she understands that. Her answer will still be no

She'd like to avoid forcing people to give up their property, would she now, if she and this government go down that route there'll be uproar the like they've never seen, it would make the water charge protests seem like a leisurely Sunday afternoon picnic. There would be an instant and Major legal challenge followed by this government's immediate demise.

Even mentioning such a proposition shows how utterly out of touch she is.

The Irish Examiner should put a competent journalist on it to ask the relevant questions.

159 out of 25,000 pledges? That doesn't really pass the smell test does it?

Last week in a committee they stated that their was 24,000 pledges, 12,000 were uncontactable and other 12,000 they hadn't contacted yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭horse7

https://www.facebook.com/1467742335/posts/10221448633753089/?app=fbl. It's a pity that genuine people are jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I know of four people who pledged a house , granny flat , and rooms . Not one of that four have yet had a date for assessment or any sign of a family coming . All these accomodations are in Dublin close to shops ,transport , schools etc . The pledges are there but just not being used yet for some inexplicable reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I've said it here before, but she truly is the most incompetent government minister I've ever seen. Her vacant, empty face reveals her cluelessness every single time. She's like that person in work who has been promoted beyond their abilities and is wreaking havoc on the office, due to their lack of ability.

There has been a spate of horrific murders in this country under her watch. Her response is to run to social media with a nasty little diatribe about the toxic masculinity of 'Irish' men. During the largest refugee crisis that Europe has experienced since WW2, she declares Ireland open to an uncapped number of arrivals, despite zero planning, the pre-existence of an acute housing shortage, an over-burdened education system, and a health service on its knees.

On top of everything else, she's an utter hypocrite as revealed in the 'Independent' yesterday. These noises she is making about forced requisition of peoples' homes, are utterly contemptible and need to be challenged vigorously from the outset. The sheer arrogance of that incompetent individual is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

She also seems to live in a state of oblivion, as many of the Irish state and their supporters do. It's truly amazing how idiotic Western politics has become in such short period of time, and all of it is largely pushed by people who consider themselves smart; the supposed "educated intellectuals" of the West. Sadly sense is out of fashion and senselessness is the rage.

/

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

100 % correct and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, some refugees under 25 are having SWA cut, in essence because of the generosity of their host's.

Jesus Títty Christ, private homes are not going to be forcibly taken off people and given to refugees.

🙄

Correct, it will never happen but Helens comments where she stated "Government Hoped not too" raised a few eyebrows and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Any source on the villages full of Ukrainians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

By cut, you mean the same SWA as Irish people under 25 in the same position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

So Hotels/Guesthouses are paid circa €100 a night but private homes are paid €400 a month? Where is the logic in that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement