Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is a cyber attack out of the question (like in Iran)?

Putin does look like crap in the clip on that twitter page (but not so bad for a douche bag,mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Unlikely to have that effect - far more likely that saboteurs or insiders in Russia are targeting strategic infrastructure to undermine the war effort.

Murders of oligarchs are probably an attempt by the pro-war faction in Russia to eliminate those who could be seen as undermining the war. There is a whole infrastructure beneath Putin to enforce these extrajudicial "suicides" - if Putin were to go the replacement could be even worse, especially if they dont need to keep oligarchs happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There appears to be no sign in the Irish media (RTE, IT, etc.) of either the fires or the killings of GazProm executives and their families. Why is that?

Did they happen, or is there some other reason they are not being reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Don't know, a lot is going on. Some key news feeds I follow will sometimes not report some fairly significant developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I wouldn't lose sleep over RTE not running certain stories.

Plenty of other publications have ran the story of the oligarch "murder-suicides", so at this stage I wouldnt doubt that its happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not patriotic jingoism. All of Ukraine knows what happened in Bucha and multiple other towns. Russia has, at every step, made any chance of a negotiated settlement less and less likely - by their cruelty and their incompetence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not being a Putin bot here but I think we need to note that there's a difference between Putin and making decision on war and what a local Russian soldier is doing on the battlefield. Yes, Putin is obviously ultimately responsible as the head honcho and commander but I doubt he'd give orders to say kill all civilians in that village over there after you raped them. That's more down to the poor control of the officers in the army and the poor morale etc. And yes; that will make a peace deal that much harder to get through for Putin but I have no doubt that Putin would happily hand over a random platoon of conscripts from some third party country as token example of soldiers raping if needed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No, Putin wouldn’t hand them over. He already promoted them. Putin is fully responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Putin ostentatiously awarded the Brigade responsible for the Bucha massacre

In a presidential decree, Putin praised the 64th Motorized Brigade for “mass heroism and bravery, steadfastness and fortitude” and for “distinguishing itself in military action for the protection of the Fatherland and state interests.”

Their military goals were a complete failure (the attack on Kyiv) so there was only one reason for him to give them that award. It was tacit approval of what they did and a green light to the army in all other parts of Ukraine to carry out similar atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

This a proxy war between two idealogies- western idealogy represented on the ground by Ukraine as puppets of NATO & co. and the Russians dictatorship led by Putin and his army, the theather of war is the land of Ukraine. NATO / US are arming and financing the Ukrainains and they are, behind the scenes, pulling the strings. For example Zelenskeyy is under orders by his masters to allow 6 billon Euro worth of gas from Russia to flow thru Ukraine every week, replenishing Putins war machine. If it wasn't so serious it would be funny. Certain EU leaders have to have their cheap fuel to keep their ivory towers warm and keep their subject happy, as they watch from a distance as east Ukraine is being obliterated. When this war will eventually end it will be NATO (in disguise) and Russia who will decide on who gets what when the spoils of war is being divided up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Ukraine is an independent country that Russia had no business whatsoever invading and which is being supported against illegal foreign aggression.

Your shiitake post notwithstanding I have to say your English is improving Komradski, da.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

No, it's Russia invading a country that is absolutely no threat to them. It's an illegal war, based on lies. They've even forgotten their propaganda lines recently by openly discussing taking the South to link up to Transnistria - that's straight up imperialism. If they can connect, then Moldova is in serious trouble. Russian helicopters have "onwards to Berlin" written on them, their state TV hosts openly talk about invading more European countries and dropping nukes.

You are utterly disconnected from reality if you are recycling Putin's talking points considering what's just happened

When this war will eventually end it will be NATO (in disguise) and Russia who will decide on who gets what when the spoils of war is being divided up.

This isn't just Kremlin propaganda - This is actually Putin's fantasy. He wants nothing more than to be invited into a room with Biden in order to carve out a peace deal.

Not going to happen.

The only persons he'll be negotiating anything with is Zelensky.

What remains to be seen is who will be negotiating from a position of strength and who from a position of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭eire4

Except that the Russian dictator awarded the unit responsible for the murders and rapes in Bucha with special honours. So that says it all about who is responsible and where the orders are coming from.

It's not just bald-faced imperialism, it's depraved imperialism. Shudder to think what would have happened if Ukraine collapsed in the first days of the war. Just read an account of a 17 year old forced to watched her mother and 15 year old sister being raped, beaten, and then murdered in front of her. She was too "ugly" to be raped, but had to live with the bodies for 4 days. This is systematically happening, the Russian leadership and military is top down and fully responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Mods need to cut out the trolls. This "you are Russian bot" is trolling, plain and simple.

I think that the reply was actually quite apt, given the post it was replying to more suited to the CT forum.

When something similar is posted in the CA thread on the Russian invasion, as I'm sure you are aware, the replies would not be as polite and the poster would most likely be sanctioned if they continued the same level of posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Exactly, Putin is trying to recreate Communist Russia, he has a long way to go to being more than 3rd in the savagery stakes in the Ukraine for Soviet Russia but he is trying.

That spectre can't be allowed haunt Europe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Calling people Russian bots over and over again offers nothing and is just a way of trolling people and trying to get a rise out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Point out where it said "troll" or "bot" in my post and you'll have my full and unreserved apology.

And your agenda of "Ukraine should have rolled over and surrendered" continues. I hope I'm never in a tight spot with only you to back me up. You'll be over the horizon before I can say "help". Maybe even leaving a shoe behind.

FWIW I don't think you're a troll or a bot, you're someone with a good grasp of the situation and the facts, then you add two and two and get pi.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The Ukrainian people want to turn their back on corruption and tyranny and oppression and want to turn their face towards Europe and freedom and human dignity. Which might sound high and mighty to cynics in the west but to them it is very simple and very clear and very obvious. We are so far removed from such basic denial of human rights in the west that some of us can’t get our heads around what Russian oppression is like. Peace with Russia and giving in to Russia is a life of misery for them for generations to come. To just give up on them and abandon them for fear of provoking Russia is utter defeatism. They are better off living and fighting through the hell of this war no matter how hellish it gets and for however long it takes than to live through another 100 years of Russian tyranny and corruption. That’s what awaits them if they give up. And if I was in their shoes I’d do the very same thing and fully support them no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

I disagree. Sure, casual pillage, rape and murder may be a result of a drunken, brutal soldiery out of control. But other survivors in towns occupied by the Russians have testified about Russians going from door to door looking for veterans, policemen, mayors and other people with civic posts. That speaks to a desire to decapitate Ukranian society in occupied areas. It's a similar tactic to the one the Soviets employed in areas they conquered such as Poland and the Baltic states and that the Germans employed in Poland and Russia. In both cases those arrested were either deported to concentration camps or/and murdered soon after.

Straight from the horses mouth:

"The Russian economy has made it through the first blow caused by the sanctions imposed by the war in Ukraine, according to the president of the Russian Central Bank, Elvira Nabiullina. But she warned representatives at the Duma this Monday that the country’s reserves are near their end, and the real crisis will hit between the second and third quarter this year. Hours after Nabiullina sounded the alert, Vladimir Putin himself rejected her warning. “Russia has resisted unprecedented pressure. The situation is stabilizing,” the head of state said in a press conference about the country’s economic situation.

Nabullina emphasized that the economy is far from returning to normal. “The period when the economy has been able to live on the reserves is over. In the second quarter or at the beginning of the third, we will enter a phase of structural transformation,” said the economist, whose tenure leading the financial organism was set to end this year and was renewed for five years at Putin’s decision."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nabullina may invest in some personal security, with that kind of honest talk.

For all the Clare Daly's of the world foaming at the mouth this is about Russia protecting itself from NATO

These flags are being flown everywhere. It's imperialism and conquest.

She should be ok. Unlike most of the underlings she is actually competent and Putin needs her. She is an internationally respected central banker and has been seen as a good steward of monetary policy within Russia. When the invasion happened and the sanctions of the foreign reserves were put in place she resigned but Putin refused to accept it.

Contrast that with Erdogan and his insistence, contrary to the conventional wisdom of economics, that high interest rates lead to inflation. He keeps firing central bankers who try and raise interest rates to tackle inflation. The net result is rampant inflation in Turkey (over 60%).

Putin is smart enough to know his own limits. Nabulina is smart enough to know hers too though. That's why she tendered her resignation and most likely now why she is being brutally honest about the upcoming economic cliff that the country is hurtling towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jylyzucyj

They still celebrate Lenin's bday... what a nation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

The Finns are going for it 😎 No cowards like the pro-Russian trolls here and elsewhere.

That increases likelihood Sweden joining also substantially (almost guaranteed if Finland does join).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thought they were blaming the Communists for creating Ukraine as a state.....

Advertisement