Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Special discounts, Bring your own Machetes, Knives, bottles and sticks & cider, I'll waive corkage so to speak 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I have to draw the line somewhere caller, standards so to speak , Neighbours would be up in arms, spittling, so to speak 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will be fun toymes if any hotels cancel any of their weddings because they took in refugee's 😂.

• Advertisement

Could you imagine 😁 but of course they don't take certain types of gatherings, not of course they'd admit it, so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I nearly crashed today when green clown Roderic was apologising that ukraineians will be in halls for a few weeks. The rte presenters tone was one of the Jews in the Nuremberg trials questions. The rte left media left have lost their minds it's unreal.

Btw butters look up Dublin live u will like it hit job on Joe lol

The entire government should be apologising for this Train wreck, I predicted 5 weeks ago.

This is were we are 50 days in

Yes, 159 Ukrainian refugees actually housed in pledged private accommodation. Beggar's belief, Government went head first into promising the sun moon and stars with no infrastructure in place, let alone accommodation and basically hoped the over 20k pledges would solve the problem.

Utter madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder what the craic will be with allowing reporters to chat to Ukrainian refugees in the system? There may be complaints when the tent accommodation isn't up to scratch on the cold spring mornings, the SuperSer won't cut it, a bad line button way of censoring the media will be needed

I know it was illegal for reporters to talk to anyone in direct provision so to speak.

• Advertisement

I was listening to morning Ireland earlier and the chairman of millstreet Centre on (absolutely clueless), Mary Wilson started to prob about the Tents shown in an Irish Examiner report, she was told they had nothing to do with accommodation at Millstreet, Next Roderick O Gorman interviewed and before being even asked a question, reiterated the Tents nothing to do with accommodation.

Now either there's a Rouge Cultural wedding they've missed or perhaps a scouting event, something very mysterious going on.

Government now calling the new plan "Group Accommodation", I calll it what it is, Direct Provision +

• A significant percentage pulled out, including McEntee as per ButtersSuki. Irish people are great at promising the Earth and delivering SFA. It’s a real national trait. Others overseas I’ve dealt with mean business when they say it, they think it through before declaring. A lot of Oirish promises were probably made “under the influence” so to speak. Couples etc over a bottle or two of vino enthusiastically signing up “We’ll do it”.

All I say is one person I admire is my cousin, a single girl, who took in a Syrian man at the critical time in her wee home in England. A PhD Social Scientist (Joe territory) she decided to put her money where her mouth was, so to speak. A person of real substance. No doubt she’ll have a Ukrainian or two in, but her house is very small.

I think it was rather predictable people jumped on the Bandwagon, had genuine sincerity but on reflection realised how impractical a pledge was going to be.

I saw this happening, the Dogs on the street saw this happening but clearly government didn't or more precisely didn't want to see what was going to happen.

What's more shocking is the enormous percentage of those who pledged, not bothering their holes informing the red Cross, they just vsnishe, didn't return calls or respond to emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Ssssshhhh.......de Oirish people are great, right !

The way de place lost de collective sh1t when de Zelensky fella suggested Ireland aren't doing enough a little while back gave a little glimpse into the Oirish motivations and machinations around all dis stuff.

Indeed and how delightfully hypocritical the reports from Cork on this evening news bulletins, stressing how welcoming the Oirish people are, oddly enough it wasn't too long ago there was uproar in Cork and indeed across the country about Direct provision centres. Funny old world we live in, short term memory syndrome is endemic it would appear in a number of locations around Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Now here is an example of how idiotic the government policy is, it won't end well and all this virtue signalling and ass cheek licking of their EU masters will end up doing more harm than good in the end in the sense that the governments primary job should be gaurding and looking after the welfare of the inhabitants of this state, whether they are on two legs or otherwise

Absolutely, I mentioned this on another thread and was savaged. I absolutely love animals, especially cats but my god what is going on is astonishing regarding animal quarantine.

To be fair, animals arriving are now being Jabbed and micro chipped at enormous costs, however many at the start got through without checks and now it's being left to Refugees to insure their pets are quarantined. How is it remotely possible for refugees living as they are to quarantine their pets, it's ludicrous and is not happening.

It is estimated that close to €100k has been spent alone on Jabbing and chipping pet's, I absolutely understand the emotional connection these refugees have with their pets but government should have had quarantine facilities in place but like the Accommodation farce didn't actually think about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I would quite happily have a couple of them, but to be honest the facilities are just about able to cope with me, never mind a further few. The house has been a work in progress for too long and it's now becoming apparent I probably won't finish it.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Helen McEntee rows back on her pledge to offer a room in her home for a Ukranian refugee (who looks like us) but it's not all bad news, she's joined TikTok!

I am not making this up!

This post is not sponsored by Ray Coyle, Tayto Crips., Hunky Dorys. or Tayto Park.

Back flips, U Turns (Becoming Quite the Gymnast, is our Helen) , Learner of lessons , Expert of Savory snacks and Dodgems & extraordinary women, how she does, I just don't know.

Well Done Well Done 😏

• Advertisement

Was there not somebody on this thread, who stated when the red cross did eventually get in contact, they told them their house was not suitable as it would be a shared bathroom?

It's a **** show to the highest order, people can say what you will about Putin being mental... but he's managed to cause a war in Ukraine and civil unrest in the rest of Europe

I'm not sure but the excuses being offered are just beggers belief frankly and your 100% correct, tensions and civil unrest rising and there's a number of threads on Boards now that have descended into screaming matches.

The sentiment about inviting Ukranian refugees was of course Laudable but the government went head first into what most people saw as a Train wreck waiting to happen. Its just extraordinary no one in government stopped, even for moment and asked can Ireland realistically cope with such an influx and at a time there is no infrastructure, Accommodation and Health service buckling, not to mention the cost of living crisis and inflationary pressures.

This didn't start well and its going to end badly.

@Dempo1 I think the government was under the impression they would be funded for each person taken in, hence the come one, come all attitude!

I jumped on Facebook last night, and my god I was shocked by the venom being spouted, some poor girl had posted about a Ukrainian starting in her job with very little English, and isn't it wonderful she's got straight out to work, and how she bought her flowers to welcome her. Now I love watching the keyboard warriors at play, but this was shocking!!

It was 90% sure they've already got enough, I wouldn't be buying them anything..... and that's me being mild, I have an awful uneasy feeling, this is going to eventually spill out onto the streets!!!

Just to be absolutely clear the government knew from day one there would be absolutely no funding from the EU for this, absolutely nothing and Michael Martin confirmed this very early on during an interview with Claire Byrne.

I've made it abundantly clear I welcome any support that can be given by the Irish government but they jumped head first into this without a moment of thought.

It disgusts me the venom on social media, I've actually volunteered at direct Provision centres and Homeless shelters. My entire focus is on the lack of planning, preparation, infrastructure and what I perceive as governments one focus, looking good on the world stage , they've created a monster and now haven't a clue what to do next. Ultimately it will infact be the Ukranian refugees that will suffer.

@Dempo1 Thanks for the clarity, because I was under the impression the flood gates had already been opened, before the government got the memo to say, they're doing it off their own back.

The government is going to have to do something, before its way to late to put the genie back in the bottle. Or are they that far removed they've no idea of the rustling among the population.

Edit: I just want to add, this is making me feel nervous, and normally I'm able to just tune out to this sort of carry on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• The government does monitor social media, so they would be getting some idea of the various sentiments out there. It’s responding in an effective way that’s the problem.

It's getting very ugly on that Thread unfortunately.

Helen McEntee getting Hammered across social media , a lot of it un called for , Housing minister doing his usual disappearing act and this mess seems to have been thrown onto Roderick O Gormans lap, whilst minister for Intergration it seems extraordinary the actual ministers responsible for accommodation, planning , health are quite literally nowhere to be seen.

But Helen really put her foot in it re her comments about "Hopefully " not forcing people to give up their properties. What was she thinking even mentioning such a notion. Government thinking the Turf Debacle was troublesome, this notion would cause uproar .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stephen Donnelly was at a health facility in Arklow two days ago. He was due to be in another one in Kilkenny this morning.

Advertisement