Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Bah another deflection. Looking at the fixtures this is probably City's toughest sadly. Maybe West Ham will be but the Europa League final is a few days later so the second string could be out if they get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's only a lack a patience that we wanted City to lose tonight, but it will come, that I'm certain .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Away to Wolves is the one I've had my eye on a while. Be interesting to see when it gets scheduled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Ah yes, definitely that one is their toughest. Missed that one when I looked at their fixtures as it hasn't got a date yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think the Leeds game that's sandwiched between the CL semi maybe a tricky one for them. Especially if the first leg doesn't go to plan...

True, particularly now that Marsch has them much more compact and organised at the back. Can't see them giving up those cheap goals they did with Bielsa's gung-ho approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Personally hoping for Eintracht to win the EL semi final, meaning that West Ham will need to get something from their game in order to qualify for Europe again. Need a few things to fall in place there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

City haven't a hope of dropping anymore points , pains me to say but its not gonna happen. Leeds???go way outta that

• Advertisement

Would've said the same about Palace, Southampton, and a dysfunctional Spurs team that had just lost 2-0 to Chelsea, 3-2 to Southampton, and 2-0 to Wolves (and lost their next game 1-0 to Burnley). All those came in City's last 10 games too. They're bloody good, but they're far from faultless this season. (Today was their first win in 4 in all comps, and their 4th win in 9 in all comps).

They're not the same juggernaut that stomped through the end of the season winning every game in 18/19. They might win 'em all, but form and fixture congestion would indicate there's every chance they'll slip again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You should take out a €20k bank loan and put it on City.

Sounds like you're guaranteed to win €9k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I think it's more likely than "might" win the remaining games. I'd say it's more like they should win their remaining games. 90+% chance they will IMO but a man can dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its not over yet lads.

They will slip up away somewhere I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

City might slip up, although they have a fairly soft fixture list, the real issue is can we win all our matches with the distraction of CL semi final and FA cup final. The Spurs game is the one we are most likely to drop points in, if we get past that match without dropping points then I think we should get over the remaining matches too, ideally would need to go into the last day ahead, wouldn't fancy our chances relying on Villa. It's about getting the results now for both City & liverpool, performances are secondary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only way city drop points is like a crystal palace type game. They will dominate every game remaining, we just need them to get a game they can't finish.

In my opinion, we win all our remaining games as do they and we just miss out. You need to be perfect to beat City to the league, we had too many stupid results though in the first half of the season.

I do believe we will console ourselves with a league cup, fa cup and champions League treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Cannot see City dropping points, it’s just like 14 and 19 now even if their team is not as strong in attack. I don’t think they were too bothered about going out in the fa cup, they will go all out for the prized double they never won before. Pep said last night if they win every game they win the league, if they drop even 1pt Liverpool win it, so he also thinks Lpool will win every game. It’s a shame but if this happens, we lost the league over the Xmas period. Although it is a miracle we came back into it and gave another epic title race. Hopefully we will get the last day over City with a win in Paris. So that’s my prediction, both teams will win all remaining games in league, but Lpool to beat City in Paris and complete an amazing treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lets not talk about Paris until it is certain Liverpool will be playing in Paris

There's a chance city drop points, but would be delighted if KDB discovered religion or something or developed an interest in rare botany only found on the foothills of Peru. He's the difference. He's more important to city than Mo is to us.

One thing that will be crucial in the run in over the next 6-7 weeks will be the fitness of the 4 key midfielders now. 

Over the last 2 months especially, we have seen a move towards a rotating 4 in midfield - Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago & Keita. The midfield is switching up every game, with at least 2 of them starting every game, but the other 2 playing from the bench at the least. It's keeping everyone fresh and just keeping them out of the redzone.

Fabinho & Hendo are not getting burnt out, which they are susceptible at this time of the season. Keita & Thiago are staying on the pitch and not in the treatment room. Touch wood it stays the same as the dynamic is working. Fabinho & Thiago are able to control games with their use of space and the ball. Keita & Hendo bring energy and workrate, pressing, winning second balls. The versality of Hendo & Keita is important too. Hendo can fill in at 6 if he has to, Keita can play in that deeper left sided role that Thiago does defensively albeit without the passing range but to be fair, not many do.

Klopp is playing a blinder with having the 4 of them all hitting good form at this stage of the season. It's clear to see from this how much Klopp trusts those 4 now, and how some others are having no say at all. Milner & Jones are coming in for the odd 30 or 60 mins here & there, but really it is those 4 lads who are first choice now. Ox is not getting a look in at all. They are also the same 4 midfielders with the most minutes played in the season overall, in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

I"ll be grand , I put enough on them at the start of the season

WH Away

Leeds Away

Wolves Away

We lost away to WH, we needed a 94th winner to beat Wolves , we beat 10 man Leeds.

These are tricky places to go, and I always thought that having them in the first have of the season was getting them out of the way, and that City having to face them Away in second half was an advantage to us.

We faced a LOT of tough away games in first half of season, City not to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They’re a favourite for every remaining game (as we are) but strange things happen.

I think it’s fair to say they are a favourite percentage wise to win out, but it’s a lot closer to 50% probability than 100% imo.

Either way, nothing that can be done about it all. We just have to try and win our next 4 games and beat Villarreal and bring it down to the last two weeks of the season. What will be will be from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

If we are still in with a chance to win the league on the last day of the season then that will be some achievement and one to be respected. As i posted a while back - just the dream to still be in every competition at this stage is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

No not Palace. Palace are one of city's biggest bogey teams over the last few years. If they played Palace every week we would walk the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A few important factors that get overlooked at this time of year; what do the opposition teams of both Liverpool and City have left to play for, also which team is playing first each week.

Watford are the only team City play that definitely have something to play for. We have to hope both West Ham and Wolves still have something to play for by the time they play City, otherwise they could be on their holidays, I'd imagine Gerrard will have Villa up for it especially if it goes down to the last day, but, wouldn't expect anything there. Newcastle have improved but aren't great away. Leeds are more or less out of relegation danger so they may not be as invested if still in relegation trouble. The likelihood is City will get full points, but, one or two fixtures are likely to cause issues.

For ourselves Everton will obviously be up for it, but, anything other than a win would be a massive surprise, Newcastle away is a much more difficult trip than earlier in the season, they are on a good run at home, so will not be a pushover, one of the few teams on paper with nothing really to play for, that are unlikely to be on holidays as players trying to prove themselves. Spurs probably the toughest match, they are definitely capable of getting a result, depends what Spurs turn up really. We should take care of Villa & Southampton. If it goes down to last day, Wolves may have nothing to play for by then. We are definitely capable of getting maximum points (as are City unfortunately), but, there are one or two potential banana skins (Spurs & Newcastle) there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah, but only for 4 minutes. When I started the log a couple of years ago, I have a bit of a cut off point of 80-85 mins otherwise you have a lot of 1 min appearances at the end of games which are pretty meaningless in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Was hoping Burnley would lose tonight and take a bit of pressure off of Everton, not going to happen, wonder what sort of team starts?

• Advertisement

The more pressure on Everton the better for me. They're really bad and pressure will usually makes bad players worse. I expect them to be terrified on the ball and will try to sit in and break with Gray, Gordon and Richarlison. We'll see a lot of aimless balls pumped long from the back line and Pickford that will be mopped up by VVD and Alisson. But the issue for them is, is Lampard has not shown that he can set up a team to sit in and defend so what's their other option, try and play? Good luck if they try that, the risk of their goal difference getting a hammering will force them to sit in and hope they can hold on for as long as possible.

Team wise, I would not be shocked by any line up. Klopp could go really strong (1-3 changes) or he may make 5 or 6 changes and the team will still look strong. Keita and Jota I'd guess are guaranteed to come in. Konate also likely but maybe he's going to get Villareal so Matip goes again. Then we have a ton of options, if Firmino is fit he could play, Tsimikas or Gomez maybe too (don't think we'd take out both full backs). Maybe Jones or Origi get a game. Could even see Milner in to kick a few people for the first 55-60 minutes.

Alisson

TAA - Konate - VVD - Tsimikas

Keita - Henderson - Jones

Salah - Firmino or Mane - Jota

Is my guess, the three scousers getting a game in the derby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for Burnley tonight.

I kinda wanted them to down instead of Everton, mostly because of their football style but with Dyche now gone I'm in two minds.

No Derby games would be strange but I'm now thinking it might be nice for Everton to have a spell in the Championship.

Hard to say really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hoping for Watford to do anything is forlorn, thay have a pathetic record against City, something like 15 or 16 consecutive losses in all competitions. No hope.

Agreed, but there are some possible banana skins yet. Brighton pushing up for the win cost them a draw at the Etihad. I watched that match... I won't watch the Watford match. That'll be 3 or 4 win to city eating into our GD.

Klopp hasn't been afraid to pick a bit more stranger side against Everton, especially at home. There was one a few years ago where Origi Lallana Shaqiri & Milner played together. Solanke started a few derbies too.

Because Everton are capable of going into this fixture just to go kicking Liverpool players and potentially injure them and thus becoming fan favourites, I would err on the side of caution a bit here. I think Milner might start instead of Thiago. Henderson & Fabinho too. Can bring on Thiago on 60 if not going to plan. Jones might even see the pitch. Milner won't be afraid to get stuck in to them either, and give a kick back and let's call a spade a spade, a Milner suspension is not the end of the world here, certainly compared to Thiago. Likewise injuries.

Jota should start this one IMO, as he has a bit of steel and bite to himself too, along with Mane.

I think Tsimikas would be up for it too, with Robbo getting a rest before before the big 3 in a row. Maybe Konate can start this one too as he will be a unit in that area of the pitch.

Konate, even Milner... and Diaz, Origi, Jota for the **** and giggles

There's a chance too that Everton will be in the relegation zone before the Derby kicks off so they will be well up for it, in their relegation battle. Intensity will be high I would suspect. Thats why I think some fresh legs will be needed, to match or better this for 60 mins at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And it would mean a lot to the local fans in particular to add to their relegation woes with a convincing victory.

I'm a little bit more worried about injuries than points, even though the points are crucial.

An up for it Everton would be a god send, rather than sitting back parking the bus. We'd tear them apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

only thing you can hope is Hodgson knows they have possibly 0% chance of a win, so just puts 11 in around the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They could put 12 in the box and they’d still lose badly to this City team.

Roy is no fool, he'll know how to play City, his record against them is really good. I'm sure they'll try to keep it very tight, of course that will be easier said than done. But Roy has gone to City and won before with Palace,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This Watford team is absolutely hopeless. Our only hope from this game is they can keep it below 3 as this is a game City will look to target for the goal difference...we could do without City putting 6 past them and effectively cancelling out the goal buffer we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wonder will it come down to goal difference?? There would have to be a week of them lose we draw, or over 2 games they draw both we win and lose. Maybe more possibility but not many. I’d be confident we will stay ahead of them on gd so be great if these results came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watford are a beaten docket sadly. Wouldn't be hopeful even if it was at Vicarage road.

I think goal difference damage limitation is the only goal alright.

Ill be nervous when that game is over because there will only be five left for them to possibly slip up in.

2019 deja vu

• Advertisement

Yeah Watford is probably the least likely of City dropping points IMO.

Watfords last 11 games against Pep's City team is..

No wins

No Draws

11 Loses

64 goals against

7 goals for.

Roy's record against Pep.

Played 8

Won 1

Drew 2

Lost 6

Goals for 6

Goals against 20

So... you're saying there's a chance!

Whoopee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s actually not a bad record against Pep for most managers.

Watford will still get battered, though.

Salah again saying today that the contract negotiations is not all about money.

I have one year left. I think the fans know what I want, but in the contract it’s not everything about the money at all. So I don’t know, I can’t tell you

I as a fan don't know what he wants if it's not about money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement