Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You and others are attempting to deflect constantly. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of the complaints about PT/ excuses for using the car is that it's too packed/ buses don't stop because they're full/ squeezed on darts. I think freeing up capacity on PT is a good thing tbh.

Similarly, with teenagers and children, while it may not have all the health benefits of truly active travel, it's certainly replacing car journeys by parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IDK; I think a lot of the teens I see tooling around on eScooters would in the past have been on bikes. But it is what it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

clearly i don't expect the issue to be as problematic as you do, i guess. i live on a busy road and we see lots of scooters and fiidos, etc., but i don't really recall ever having an issue with them. i've mentioned at least once in this thread that the legislation is needed, because it kinda places them in a legal stasis (and yes i know the law is currently clear on them); why would the gardai prosecute someone for using something which by most accounts was meant to have been made legal by now?

perhaps the delay is due to europe-wide regs being prepared, could explain it.

anyway, the reasons for people using deflection is obvious - there are concerns about scooters which most people don't seem to have about cars. it's an easy comparison to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably because the level of ire and attention directed towards scooter users and scooting is out of all proportion to the actual danger arising, particularly in comparison to the lack of ire and attention directed towards motorists for the very substantial dangers arising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Belmont Avenue in Dublin has such a problem with driving on the footpath that residents stand there in morning protests to stop drivers attempting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Those sit on 'scoo-peds' are fast, very fast, at least the ones I have seen recently, Some have a top speed of 50kmph. Cool as they may be, that's a lot of speed to be in a cycle lane or even a pavement.

The loophole needs to be closed or legislation passed to define what is legal in a public space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I still think it's bananas that e-scooters are illegal in the UK, unless you rent one...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What’s also crazy is to use the rental scooters you’ve to show proof of a valid driving licence, that’s mental.

I must admit, I do find it funny that people focus on the riding on paths thing when it comes to teenagers, around here there’s load of little bastards flying around the paths on bikes, particularly those folding fidos yet that never seems to be much of a concern

I think there is the same concern about ebikes, if you go on the threads. Whether statistically that's back up as dangerous is a different matter, as per the article "Our feelings of safety are not always rational,”. I dare say if you went back 15 years it'd be the same concerns about pedal bikes, skateboards etc.

It was interesting regarding sustainability, kinda in line with @loyatemu point earlier that it's only more sustainable if it's replacing car journeys and/ or a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Probably less risk for them renting them out to people with some sort of road experience with a licence considering they're motorised vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The UK model is more restrictive as it's part of an initial test, limiting it to who and through rental companies only before they decided what to do.

But same as here there's still thousands using their own regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was in Austin Texas last week and they are everywhere. Really handy for a pub crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Likewise, I was in Alicante for a week during Easter break, and blue rental scooters were everywhere. I didn't bother taking one, but it seems like a handy way to nip up and down the beach, between towns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It may be an insurance company requirement; to make theft of device less likely (or easier to recover) and also a better chance renter knows the ROTR.

I've done a bit of looking on Google scholar around e-scooters and accidents rates and one of the stand out things (similar to bikes) was if you want to hurt yourself properly on one ride it when drunk/drink impaired. I saw that as someone with a pub bike 😅

One study had something like 90% of ED admissions accidents from e-scooter users where there was no other party involved; users simply not able to control device.

If you wanted to design a device to hurt people(especially in dealing with fairly minor vertical impediments), adding a motor to a two wheeled device with 150mm to 200mm wheel diameter would be a good start. Some basic training (via Youtube or a friend etc ) around their limitations and some basic road craft or a trial period on a manual sccoter to get balance and steering skills up make them pretty safe to use.

Some NZ city withdrew them from use after a spike in ED admissions after being introduced. I'd imagine people would quickly learn to use them or decide to stop and things should stablise after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oh yeah I saw a few people fall off! One guy in front of a packed beer garden so he just walked off in shame and left the bike on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

My daily commute is about 9km, I walk sometimes, but mainly drive. I'm waiting for these to be legalized and will use one for the commute. I'm sure I'm not the only person.

there's a significant cost disparity, for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

[quote="Large bottle small glass"]If you wanted to design a device to hurt people(especially in dealing with fairly minor vertical impediments), adding a motor to a two wheeled device with 150mm to 200mm wheel diameter would be a good start. Some basic training (via Youtube or a friend etc ) around their limitations and some basic road craft or a trial period on a manual sccoter to get balance and steering skills up make them pretty safe to use.[/quote]

I've don't have anything against them in principle other than rental schemes allowing them to be dumped wherever, but scooters in general I find sketchy to control - certainly compared to a bike. I'm sure I would get the hang of it fairly quickly above and beyond the few times I've tried one (just a normal one, not electric), but as you say the combination of somebody with little or no understanding of the interaction of small wheels and holes in the road, coupled with a bit of drink induced bravado isn't a great mix

And storage space (and security) too. Even if beside a desk isn't a goer, probably find somewhere in an office building to put them, whereas bike parking still very hit and miss.

Fiido folding bike is comparable in price, particularly if you can do C2W. Would be a damn sight more comfortable than a scooter.

the only thing my LBS will do with a fiido is fix punctures. he says they're junk (though he doesn't sell them, maybe resulting in that verdict)

are they any worse than an eScooter though (they're probably closer to a scooter with a seat than a real bike in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

So is mine. I used to drive, but after hearing about the possible delay in passing the legislation I decided it was enough waiting so I started to use it this week.

I agree it is a little trickier than ridding a bike but I had already "trained" myself a bit in the car park. So far so good. Worse thing is the sore thumb and hand from pressing the throttle!

I wear high viz and a helmet. I use mainly cycle lanes (>90%), I stop at red traffic lights and slow down near bus stops and the like.

For the most part I get overtaken by cyclists rather than the other way around (top speed is only 20kph).

No issues with drivers so far, although I suppose it is a matter of time.

As with everything I firmly believe it depends on who is behind the handlebar/wheel.

My scooter is half the price of that Fido bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Garda Eilish Cronin says they’ve had a number of complaints about e-scooters, particularly being used on footpaths and in pedestrian areas. She says they’re causing a nuisance around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A lot of kids have been using them around the lovely pedestrian centre of Tralee. Honestly I didn't see them causing any hassle but I did on a couple of occasions see them passing by auld wans and who would dramatically tell one another how they were just nearly killed. TBH I think it's the fact that a couple of the kids going around on them are travellers is the main reason people are complaining.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And as is typical in Ireland, I guarantee you those same people would not say dot to their own grandkids at home for doing the same. No one does "I'm not racist but" quite like the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's also the standard attitude that anything adolescents who are strangers do to enjoy themselves is automatically anti-social behaviour.

Advertisement