Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

An interesting test here on the ID.3 with the new v3.0 software. It increases the peak rate from 100kW to 133kW (310A). Thats great but it tapers quickly enough whereby at 30% SoC it is back to the same charge rates as the current software.... the overall gain is only about 2mins over a 10-80% charge session. Who cares!

If you plug in at 20% you probably wont notice any time difference at all!

What it reinforces for me is that all the talk about charge rates (inc Teslas) is that the peak rate is irrelevant really. The overall charge time is all that counts and the Li-ion limitations have not been solved by any manufacturer.... you can charge faster but you risk degradation, so they all go conservative to watch their warranty.

Anyway, worth a watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Delivery update- my original order from August 2021 has been given a build date of week 28 in 2022. That hasn’t changed.

I was offered another Tour that went into production December 2021 and said I would take it, it has a vin and the dealer expected delivery in March. I have been updated with info that says the car is only partially built and they don’t have the semi conductors for the area view camera, no lead time on car or conductors. To be fair the Dealer has been very helpful with updates and great to deal with.

Models with lower spec are making it through.

I see VW north Dublin have a 2021 Tour with 20,000 km’s advertised for €48,400, which is €1,100 more than a new one which probably can’t be got anyway. €44,342 was the retail on that in September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eltoastero

The photos in the ad make it look more like the Tour 5 (the pictures show a rear bench capable of taking a middle passenger, the Tour was only a 4 seater.) The Tour 5 had a price closer to €41k (incl grants), which is an even wilder difference in price between new and used.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

For anyone with Connection problems...

Just had 4g connection issues, car would not go online.

The "Pull Fuse 19" fix will work..

Located in the internal fuse box..From Left Row 2..Third fuse down 5amp...Remove..wait 10mins..refit, all good to re connect to the 4g again..

Yep €44,110 for a T5, I could only go off the add saying it’s a Tour- no heads up display mentioned either..either way an apparently appreciating asset ..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

What can you say! any of us who got the 0% rate last year got a bargain. I ordered our tour this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Interesting bit of Info on the new software update...

So has anyone gotten the 3.o update as such...According to this article from VW the car has to go to a dealer to upgrade the 12v battery to be able to handle the 4/5 hour update.

From Auto motor und sport.de—>

“It's almost exactly 14 days ago that Volkswagen proudly presented the latest update of the much-maligned ID software. The ID.Software 3.0 is intended to make all existing ID vehicles better. The range of services includes optimization of voice control, improved charging capacity (77 kWh battery with up to max. 135 kW output), a revised e-route planner for the navigation system, a new tile for the charging menu on the top operating level and new displays for the head up display with augmented reality technology. Available from the second quarter of 2022 via over-the-air (OTA) update for all already shipped ID models. Because the amount of data is so large, the roll-out will take place in two packages, with the installation of the first data package taking around 7.5 hours, according to Volkswagen, and the second package then taking a good 4.5 hours. Newly produced vehicles now get the ID.Software 3.0 directly from the factory. Overall, the biggest software update that Volkswagen has ever launched via an over-the-air update. The problem: it's not that simple.

Because before that, as Volkswagen confirmed when asked by auto-motor-und-sport.de, all VW ID.3 and ID.4 have to go back to the workshop as part of a voluntary service campaign. According to Volkswagen , that's 200,000 vehicles whose owners will probably be written to from Easter. The unscheduled workshop visit serves to bring the existing fleet to the most uniform software status possible. "We have found that there are currently still many vehicles with very different software versions on the road," confirmed a VW spokesman when asked by auto-motor-und-sport.de. That's why the ID.3and ID.4 installed the ID.Software 2.4 at the retailer , without which the over-the-air update (OTA) to version 3.0 is not possible. In addition, all vehicles will then have a new 12-volt battery installed free of charge. This new, so-called "EFB+" battery is significantly more cycle-resistant and is better able to cope with the large energy requirements of an electric car. To put it simply: The originally installed 12-volt battery might not have made the time-consuming OTA update to ID.Software 3.0.

According to Volkswagen, the visit to the workshop will take around a day. A replacement vehicle will be made available to the drivers for the duration. CONCLUSION

• Registered Users Posts: 11 backbones

I'm waiting on my T5 since October, its both satisfying to see the car will be instantly worth a huge amount more than I'm paying for it, but its also annoying that there is a T5 sitting there even if it is a bit older but would cost a huge amount more than I'll be paying whenever it does arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Second hand stuff is usually 5.9% APR too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Useless gits. Running around developing new stuff etc when the long list of bugs and glitches remain ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelvin64

Just took delivery of a Comfort model. Ordered in February delivered a week ago (dealer order that they hadn't sold).

Delivered with SW 2.3, dealer had not idea when I could expect 2.4.

First impressions:

Seats are better than I expected (I was very worried about lack of lumbar support).

I got a Chargepoint Card (For free chargers at work + Ionity), I also got the EasyGo App for free charging at Lidl. In no rush to get something better than the granny charger at home, at least for now. Not sure If there is is any reason to sign up for eCars or We Charge as well?

Did my first long-ish Journey (Cork to Dublin and back again, 500km). Started with 100% -- Three 10 minute stops at Ionity was more than plenty -- Ionity charged at 127 kW when the car was below 20%!

A better routeplanner is really good for planning trips. I was a bit worried about consumption on the way to Dublin (240 Wh/km in really wet conditions), but the journey back was a very reasonable 170Wh, mostly doing 120km/h)

Wireless CarPlay is awesome. I cannot change AirCon with voice since the car only has singe zone AirCon, so I turned off "Hello ID".

I don't worry about D vs B mode. Instead I just set the Cruise control and let the car deal with it. Eco assist just works.

The only thing I really miss is automatic High Beams - Maybe something I can add as a DLC with v3.0 or via OBD Eleven?

Post edited by kelvin64 on

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

The 12v battery replacement and 2.4 software update is being delayed. I believe battery supplies from China are being delayed because of covid lockdowns there.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Congrats on your new ID.3, must be one of the few this year!

Are you sure it doesn't include auto high beams? Everything from Life spec up should include "LED headlights with automatic headlight."

Disabling Hello ID was a good call, hopefully it will improve but the current version is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

I believe it will be an AGM battery. Is already used in modern vehicles because of stop start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelvin64

Yes, I was lucky to not have to wait a very long time.

• Unfortunately I'm sure about auto high beams. You need at least a Family / Business model to get “Dynamic Light Assist”.
    • "LED headlight with automatic headlight = They turn on or off automatically. However, high beam is still manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

At what point do VW accept that the id3 is cursed? How many unexpected things can hamper their release - it's a great car and I'd have loved one but they were like hens teeth.

• Advertisement

Maybe the dealer was right saying he'd probably be calling me in year 2 of my PCP to offer me a good deal as he expected resale values to be high.

Indeed the T5 was worth the wait, it's a good solid car with great range.

With 2.3 update haven't noticed the battery heater come on yet even with battery temp of 8 Deg C, that certainly makes a big difference to local consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Not sure what the issue is with people wanting to buy themselves a new diesel car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

or why the Tucson is is the best seller. Lots of good size EVs for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Id still sign up for eCars tbh.

If you ever need to use an eCars charger then its cheaper to do when using an eCars account.

Instead of using your Easygo account to charge on ESB ecars.

Not going to lie - I tend to think WTF when I see a new diesel these days.

But a lot of people still don't trust the new world of EVs and don't believe EVs can work in scenarios like rural to city commuting and other high mileage tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

If everyone who bought an ICE ordered an EV instead how long would the wait time be? EV drivers should be thankful to ICE drivers not slagging them off IMO

See my take is that you can buy hybrids or even a PHEV instead of diesel if not confident in EVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 backbones

I don't get buying a new ICE car now except price, if I'm buying new it will be at least a PHEV.

Even from an economic perspective, surely an ICE car isn't going to hold its value well over it's lifespan compared to a PHEV.

Advertisement