Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossed cheque

• 22-04-2022 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Had some building work done and paid the builder today, work only finished Wednesday. Left it with Mrs P who gave it to him but reports said builder was furious the cheque was crossed. Cheque was made out to him personally, not the company name. Any reason why he would have been so annoyed? I'm assuming possible tax liabilities avoiding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did you get a bill?

Why wouldn't you have made the check out to the company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭beachhead

A crossed cheque means it must be lodged into a bank account to get the cash.Then again all cheques whether personal or a company cheques are crossed for security and have been for quite a while.I have not seen an uncrossed cheque for years.Your assumption is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In relation to the point made in the previous post (#3), I haven't written a cheque for years but I have a Bank of Ireland chequebook and the cheques are not crossed.

But it appears that uncrossed cheques are a thing of the past. This is from 2000 .....

B of I to restrict the cashing of uncrossed cheques from Monday

Bank of Ireland will no longer cash uncrossed cheques from other branches or banks from Monday. With a few exceptions, all cheques will have to be lodged to the customers' accounts, if they have an account.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/b-of-i-to-restrict-the-cashing-of-uncrossed-cheques-from-monday-1.1114957

All cheques are crossed, it's printed on them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I would be surprised if anyone would cash a cheque for a third party these days. Very restricted use generally.

I assume builder was expecting cash rather than having a problem with the cheque being crossed. He just didn't want a cheque at all.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I made it out to him because thats what he requested. He had no problem with receiving a cheque rather than cash, just that he didn't want a crossed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Crossing the cheque and putting it into his name means he cannot lodge it to his company account. There may be tax issues at the end of the year if the payment looks to be coming from his personal account, rather than from a client. Also, he could have had workers who needed to be paid and a crossed cheque would need to be lodged and take 3-5 days to clear.

Some if not all banks get a bit sniffy about changing crossed cheques these days for another named person i.e. not named on the presenter's account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

But does he now have to lodge it to his personal account and not his buisness account which he might have wanted to do if the name of his buisness is different? That might be messing with his accounting system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

As I said I asked him who to make it out and he specifically said make it out to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Ah ok, I need to read more carefully! Don't know his problem so as very hard to just cash a cheque these days without lodging it somewhere and if he thinks that makes it not traceable then he's probably wrong, the only bank likely to cash an uncrossed cheque is your own and he can be sure the cashier will pop his account number on the back of it just in case it bounces!

If you know someone who knows someone(with a bank account)you might persuade them to lodge your cheque and give you the money.The taxman(if,the someone unlucky enough to be audited)might ask what the cheque was for,why the someone cashed it and who got the cash.Trouble,bubble,boil etc

Advertisement