Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

and your point is????? I dont watch cartoons as I am an adult,, so do explain the photo of lemon consuming obese American cartoon character? Irony if nothing else as obese americans only eat carbs donuts and fast food i am sure they never eat lemons ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The most worrying part of this post is how the guests reluctantly agreed to help out with the utility bills.

Like wtf, they're getting €200 per adult and children's allowance and they expect to live for free in someone's house? I wouldn't leave my teen for a sleepover in a friend's house without sending along some biscuits or whatever. Are they not being told that they need to pay their way and contribute to the household they are living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's a comment on the journal. 😕

The claim the washing machine is running 18 hours a day might be a clue of it's legitimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

And it will never change. I would say that were actually going backwards.

This is the top post in this thread BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The Simpsons stopped being funny about 20 years ago. Might be time to update your comedy routine Boggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

While it's a comment on the journal, I've already seen it mentioned in other media too , not the same article but the jist is the same, how families are expecting free bed and board but taking welfare. As usual, it seems we just shovel out money like it's going out of fashion.

How are other eu member states managing this situation, are all refugees getting welfare in every other country?

I get that the refugees are exhausted and traumatized. However, surely it's a fundamental human impulse to want to at least minimally recompense the strangers who have generously opened their homes to you?

Not a good look if there's a reluctance to contribute to the household bills, assuming there is some truth in this story..

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

It's always in the wording with these guys in power "Up to €400" so maybe you only get the maximum if you hand over a vacant house etc... or 30 a week if you only take in one person into your own dwelling house. I just hope whatever happens that vulnerable people don't get taken advantage of like we have seen in the past with the student accommodation where people are squeezed into small bedsits etc. so someone can make a quick few euros.

The kites are always flown first to gauge our response

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And this sums up why so few people are following through. Really admire those that can but for middle income earners, already at the pin of their collars, paying 50% tax above just €34k it’s economic suicide. Only the very comfortably off could afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What other media?

RE the EU, yes.

Denmark are the only country not bound by it so they passed a special law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

€400 per month will not change the calculus for most people because money is a secondary issue, not the primary one. The main issue is the open ended commitment once you've taken a family in, even if they completely clash with you or your family. No one wants to be the person in that position so the smart thing is to not let yourself be put in that position.

If the government want breathing room they need to give hosts a commitment that alternative accommodation for the refugees will be found within 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Arrangement Temporary for 12 months, Ukranian driving licence can now be exchanged for a irish one., not sure how they'll revert back to a Ukrainian one, not aware if Ukraine is part of a recognised licence exchange program.

Insurance companies, I presume will be entirely flexible regarding this arrangement 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Ukranaians wanted to join the EU but at the last minute it didnt happen so now those fleeing are in the EU, no bother & all the welfare benefits to boot ! I would guess the africans in the direct provision are fairly peed off at their treatment against the loving welcome for the european looking ukranians !! Ireland is so very obviously racist, imagine that, all our social justice warriors have failed to notice this small little darkness in us amidst the great welcoming party for the slavs !!

I would make a massive distinction between someone from the frontline areas like Mariupol etc and those far far away (Ukraine us bigger than France) from the real conflict along the polish or Hungarian or Romanian borders.

The problem is the system can’t distinguish those in REAL need vs the chancers of which I’m sorry to say I’ve no doubt exist. Salaries and standards of living are vastly different in a country like Ireland vs Ukraine and it would be foolish to believe this isn’t a pull factor for some, leaving aside the most desperate and needy whom we absolutely must support.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just to point out, It's not just Africans in Direct provision

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,891 ✭✭✭✭zell12

-

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It was one comment in the Journal in fairness .

For sure and it may not even be true.

For me, I just think it's symptomatic of how difficult it is to have strangers in your home. It's simply a non-runner for most people. Hats off to those who make it work. Not something I could do personally.

Average monthly incomes in Ukraine are USD 298 in 2020 https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

It’s a good deal here whichever way you look at it. A lot will stay here and save and/or stay here to save money to rebuild back home. Basic welfare here alone is almost 3 times average incomes. Bearing in mind many prob earn even far less than that. I don’t think the blanket welfare provision is affordable for any length of time.

• Advertisement

Some are... let's be a bit practical here and point out that many of the refugees that first made it out of Ukraine weren't within the actual conflict zones, but from the western side of the country. That's still true that many from the non-conflict zones, have left as refugees. Most of those from the actual conflict zones are still travelling within Ukraine itself, or stuck in Eastern European countries getting the immediate care they need.

We're going to get a lot of scammers (which Ukraine is well known for), chancers, and those who will simply take advantage of the hospitality thrown their way (which most of us would in the same situation).. but it's important to recognise that all these refugees aren't going to be saints. There were no background checks to ensure that they were "good" people. Basically, people are giving access to their homes to people they know next to nothing about.

And honestly, it's little different if people had opened their homes to any migrants or refugees, or even other Irish people. There's going to be plenty of people who will take advantage of their circumstances.

And no, it's not a fundamental human impulse to recompense the people who have helped you. What I've learned from living in less prosperous regions is that while there are some genuinely great people out there, there's also a lot of people who will take, take and take some more. I think people really need to pay some attention to the differences between Ukraine and Ireland.. (and I'd say the same for any situation involving a nationality that wasn't Northern European). Human decency is definitely not universal.

There is an admirable naivety about Irish people that is very endearing but ripe for exploitation in the tough world we live in.

There does need to be a distinction now made between those most in need (actual refugees from the conflict zones) and those hundreds and hundreds of Kms away. That way very scarce and precious resources can be put to the best use and not wasted on Piss takers here for a free holiday and a savings bonanza. This would need some level of coordination with the Ukrainian authorities themselves I believe to prioritise those most in in need.

Rubbish. Ireland isn't racist. The Irish Asylum system is colour blind. Its not based on ethnicity but on need. And as for Ireland itself, the range of articles, advertising, etc that has come out over the last two decades encouraging multiculturalism is astounding, considering actual population of other ethnicities involved (seems like most government sponsored promotions have at least one black person in them). Hell, we had a Black history month, when we have more Polish living here. Where's the cries of racism from you then? Guess racism doesn't extend to white people, but only when you believe Black people are being victimised some way. How about our significant SE Asian population? Where's the focus on promoting their culture here?

Also it's worth considering the statistics on Asylum from countries like Nigeria, where the vast majority were deemed to be bogus. Their claims after being investigated. Not because they were black, but because they wanted to scam the system.

I'm always a bit bemused by outrage posts like yours, because you're the one so focused on race being important. You have to cry foul at systems that don't differentiate based on ethnicity, and your whole reasoning is that Ireland is somehow racist? It's a ridiculous line to take considering how much help Ireland and Irish people have contributed to both Africa, and African immigrants or Asylum seekers over the decades.

I’d say those that can get out more easily are far less likely to actually need to. Would be an epic trek across from the east and south eastern front than hopping across near Lviv or south of there.

Who knows where the conflict will go, or who will be directly affected? The war is on, they're refugees, and they should be helped. That's a given in my book.

However, I'm just suggesting that people take all this with a pinch of salt. We're going to get a very mixed bag of people, with their own baggage from before the war started. That should be borne in mind when putting your own home up for sharing. Now, if you can get the details of the people involved checked, great! But probably you won't be able to, so some careful thoughts of the possible downsides should be considered. It's different if you're giving a place you're not living in yourself.. but if you're opening the door to your safe space, be aware that people are still people, even when a war is going on.

I'm curious if people would give the same help (with a similar time commitment) to an Irish woman and her children, without knowing anything about her background? I suspect most wouldn't. It just pays to consider the range of possible negatives and are you willing to accept or deal with them. Some might not be able to.

The war has been ongoing now for over two months. The pattern is now fairly clear. The Ukrainians also need to help us here as we don’t have unlimited resources so it’s far better what we can give us more targeted to the right people. It doesn' t make any sense to give people from unaffected areas the kind of generosity we are currently and is undermining those that really need it. Above all its not sustainable

“We're going to get a very mixed bag of people, with their own baggage from before the war started.” Yep. We’re going to get murderers, paedophiles, rapists, sex workers, work shy chancers…….The list is endless. (Tongue very firmly in cheek).

In exceptional circumstances, we have to act in good faith. However, families taking in strangers should take every precaution and not take risky chances.

Honestly, this is one the characteristics that annoys me about some Irish people. The inane longing to be liked and be seen to be a ‘good skin’ by the international community. It’s a very adolescent emotion and a manifestation of low self-esteem. Other nations couldn’t give a f**k how they are perceived internationally. I’m referring to nations like Denmark, who have a ruling class that appears to be invested in doing the right thing for their own electorate.

The irony is that Irish people are generally deeply conformist. They invariably snap to the prevailing orthodoxy and can be incredibly dismissive of and borderline cruel to fellow Irish people with a different mindset or perspective. This also means that the positive attitudes displayed towards our new Ukrainian population could change very quickly, if people feel that their quality of life is adversely impacted and/or some of the Ukrainians prove not to be angels, as will inevitably be the case. Frankly, this could well turn into a total s**t storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Irish people when they can’t get a pat on the back from someone else are of the self back patting nature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement