Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Really poor tonight.

Worst performance in quire some time.

Forget Lowry at 10. It hurts us twice over as we lose his attacking spark from 15 while at the same time having a 10 who doesn't play on the gainline. Burns is very underrated and tonight proves his importance to the side.

I can't think of a single Ulster player who played well tonight. Not the expected response after the Toulouse defeat.

Two wins are essential from our last two matches otherwise we might end up outside the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think that’s unfair on McCloskey and Herring but in general I can’t think of any other Ulster players who played well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The worst thing is you could have seen this coming tonight. I said it in the match thread when it was created yesterday, we are mentally weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

It was more than the tactics, which admittedly it looks like Ulster got wrong.

They showed a lack of desire and fight, which is almost inexcusable. They also showed an inability to recognise what Munster were showing them both in attack and defence and then adapt their gameplan.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well I did think McCloskey did OK, but what I would say is that with Lowry just standing static and shovelling the ball out it needed McCloskey to truck it up more. We used him as a distributor quite a lot, and while it's true he is more than a one trick pony, I actually think tonight was a jugbt where he needed to target Carbery and just run over the top of him. Our backs played across the pitch and made little impact.

It was sometimes hard to know what we were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That was more of a result of Munster just fanning out across the line and only playing two in the back field. Ulster should have targeted the rucks. Gone through the middle or even looked to form mauls off them. Lowry also should have dropped deeper and chipped into the backfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Problem being Ulster have no answer to a fan out defence! Same stories for the past seasons!

On a sadder note, sad news about Pedrie Wannenburg!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

This is terribly sad news and I read elsewhere that his son was injured as well, may he pull through, tragic for the family.

Pedrie scored the decisive try in the 2012 HEC semi final against Edinburgh to get us to the final. That alone makes him an Ulster legend.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

God that's awful. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster still have a lot to play for. Yes, a bad result last evening and there is weaknesses in areas.

They should have probably started Madigan. Lowry was very poor. He's not going to be an out half, imo.

Burns was missed and Cooney played as poor as I've ever seen him play. The Ulster backrow was 2nd best. They all need a kick up the jacksey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

To be fair to Lowry, he hasn't started a game at out half in about a year and he was thrown in against Munster and he was given very little platform. So I think he deserves a little bit of slack. It's the most difficult position to come into cold. Most 10s needs a run of games. Was he good? No. But I don't think he was an absolute disaster. .

I wouldn't bin the experiment just yet. I'd definitely give it at least a couple more games.

Perhaps! But surely Madigan would have fared better? Ulster looked lost along the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Tactical error from coach especially in so important a game. Would have been better starting with Madigan at OH.

Have to be fair to Munster. They were deserving winners and I make them favourites to beat Toulouse in CC QF.

We need to go to Edinburgh now and get a result. At least Zebre performance there should give us some heart.

Agree! Edinburgh is winnable! Ulster need to up the intensity and if Burns is unavailable, Madigan should get the call.

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak; 

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Gareth Milasinovich, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor, Matty Rea, John Cooney, Stewart Moore, Rob Lyttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What channel is this on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Embra butchering chances

That pitch doesn't seem to be helping either team with injuries!

Worrying Henderson & McCloskey both off early injured

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dave Cherry is clearly badly hurt but is being kept on because Edinburgh have no other hookers. That's disgraceful.

That's a good try to be fair.

Playing with fire there at the end but massive defensive effort and a huge win on the road.

Could off easily been another game lost at the depth. We really should be putting teams like that to the sword!

The pack or lack of it is still a serious concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster guys must be still seething about being robbed v Stormers by the most partial of TMO decisions. Ulster should be on 58 points. They won the game on the pitch but lost it in the TMO van. They should be sitting in second place with a shot, however remote, at finishing top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Advertisement

Great defence at the end but we were lucky to get out of dodge with the win, maybe we needed that to build confidence. A 3 week break may be the best thing now. Beat the Sharks and we will get a home quarter final which is something I suppose, hopefully Leinster beat Munster. Can't see the Scarlets beating the Stormers though so a top 2 finish is unlikely, although a BP win for us and a non BP win for them would leave us level on points so not sure how that would be decided? Hopefully not by a very dodgy TMO decision...

I suspect that as per usual we've peaked too early, but we'll see.

As for tonight I thought Marcus Rea was good. The likes of Treadwell and Vermuelen put a shift in too. But we are nowhere near our best.

Advertisement