Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I prefer the Endorphin Speed over the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thats pretty much identical to what happened me. Bought the Next%, Endorphins got relegated from racer to interval/threshold/tempo trainer and the v2 got relegated to an easy/recovery miles shoe (for which I find them very very good)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Feck ye!

Ive held out all this time without having a single pair of Nikes in my collection. Bit the bullet and got vaporflys next 2 after reading the last few posts.

My original endorphins pros now have 300km in them and they feel pretty much the same as when I got them, I feel some spring sometimes but mostly not. I also got a brand new pair in a box.

I'd find more use for the Pro but if running faster stuff like 5k or 10k pace I'd pick the Speeds every time. I'd pick the Pro for long, tempo, threshold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've ran a lot of miles in both of them and tbh, I definitley agree the Speed is a better shoe. It's a great for shorter sessions and I cannot see any difference on the longer runs. I've never raced in either so maybe that's where the carbon plate of the Pro comes into it's own versus the Speed's nylon equivalent, but I've used them both for 20 Miles inc 10MP LR's and 10 Mile Tempos and I've not noticed any real difference in performance between the two.

But I'd agree with @Swashbuckler that the Next% is different gravy to them both. @Swashbuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

I use ‘used’ Speeds for the easy days at the mo. I got those NB More 3’s for easy runs initially, but I find them too big and cumbersome for anything other than a recovery plod, esp if I wanted to do a few strides along the way. 100% for comfort & cushion, but 340g in my size 10.5.

It's a hard one to describe for me. I feel like it get more return from the speeds whereas the pro seem more cushioned. And for some reason feeling that return or that bit of a clap off the ground suits me with speedwork. I've used the speeds for longer stuff too and they are super. I just like a bit more cushioning over distance. I'm just odd. Lol

Speeds for easy days 😱

Edit. Used Speeds....makes sense.

It’s been said here many times, but in theory the Speed is the best 1-pair rotation there is imho - most race/tempo shoes can’t do easy day, they’re just not comfortable enough, but the Speeds can for sure.

the pair I’m using now had 850km of tempo & Long in them before I moved them to easy day - midsole still seem good and outsole barely worn (I’m 67kg and v light on shoe wear). I cut all shoes around 1,000km. With all my shoes I try to find a replacement around 500km in, on deep sale price, and by 1,000km I can’t wait any longer to break them out 😏

current rotation is

race: Vaporfly 1

tempo/long: Speed 2

interval/Speed: Pro’s / Rebel v2

easy: used Speed 1

recovery: More 3 (I probably wouldn’t get them again - too many choices for easy/recovery days)

Post edited by sk8board on

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I'm half afraid to share my rotation but I will.

One thing worth letting people know about is I'm on my second pair of fuelcell TC at this stage and the upper has fallen away very very quickly on both pairs. Not to say I won't keep running in them but my latest pair only have 350km on them and the upper has already torn away from the cushioned base.

Race: Vaporfly and Alphafly

Long easy and some recovery: Fuelcell TC

Easy: Fuelcell v2

Threshold: Speeds or Endorphin Pro

Faster stuff: Speeds or vaporfly4%

That's only the ones in rotation. I won't talk about the ones currently waiting to enter rotation . 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

For me currently it’s

Race : Alphaflys and Next%

Long with Race pace miles: New Balance RC Elite V2

Recovery and Long Easy : Nike Invincible/Skechers Max Road 5

Threshold: Nike Tempo Next% / New Balance RC Elite V1

Faster Stuff: Any of the above apart from the easy day shoes.

Ive gone through a few pairs of Endorphin Speeds and must buy another pair soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I'm pretty much the same with rotation

Fast Fast - Alphafly or Vaporfly

Easy - Reebok floatride 3 (Best pound for pound easy day shoe on the market, think brooks ghost but lighter and half the price)

Anything other than Easy - Saucony Speed / Pro -I've another pair of speed 2 in transit from 365rider(134 euro) to replace the old pair.

*Also looking at buying a pair of Hoka Speedgoat for a little trail adventure, anyone with advice/knowledge on trail shoes please feel free to pass on the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best not discuss rotation 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

I’m showing the missus that graphic next time she gives out about the amount of shoes I currently have! 😂

Wow, Seth James DeMoor shoe level. What did you think of the streakfly? I was tempted a week back but went for another pair of speed 2. Whats your favorite Puma for everyday?

The Steakfly is a lovely shoe, very comfortable and light, feels great when wearing it, but it's not a 5k/10k racer as it's marketed as, it lacks real responsiveness to make it go really fast. I love the Nitro Elite I was fortunate enough to get the new colourway that had the Sterling price marked a Euro so saved 30€, been using for some longer stuff and some tempo work, it just cruises across the paces.

Great collection. If my shoes were marked in red @ 500km (presumably near the end of their life), I’d be broke!

whats a good easy day shoe - plenty comfort/cushion but can do some strides?

I’ve used the Ghost previously, but I always like a different Easy day shoe when changing as there’s so much choice - I see some folks mention the floatride or the nitro 2 above?

is that this fella:

That's the newer model, apparently slightly better and still a bargain(72 euro) from Reebok site (20% discount when you sign up for the newsletter).

Might try those Magic Speed next 😀 ^^^

• Advertisement

Wowza you've paid full whack for some shoes there! What's the verdict on the metaspeed, metaracer, magic speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’d love the discipline to even keep the stats so organised let alone do the running distances at the moment!

I see we agree on the endorphin shift, a total donkey of a shoe. Use it for leg day in the gym and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just wondering if many people have had blistering issues with carbon plated shoes?

Around the balls of the feet.

I also had the Fuelcell TC and the upper came away from the sole at the outside of the shoe.

Thanks

Only with the endorphin pro, not quite blister but the balls of me feet get sore on long runs. The speeds,vaporfly and alphafly all fine

I hadn't used Asics in a long time, my file goes back to 2008 and there are no Asics listed.

Metaracer, nice, comfortable, but nothing special, just a regular racing flat, think Hanzo, OG Takumi, runs long.

Metaspeed, a really good shoe, ordered the same size as the metaracer, was too small, the courier lost them, Asics refunded me, turned up a few weeks later, had purchased another in my normal size, did still get a little outside toe rub, but fine after about 30 miles, miles click by nicely in these.

Magic Speed, super all-rounder, great across the ranges, picked up another pair in a 'not orange' colour, this would be my you can only bring one pair with you and don't look too bad as a transit shoe.

Hyperspeed, again Asics have nailed it, lower version of the Magic with no plate, when you want to clip along and have a bit more of a ground feeling, these are the ones to pull.

Shifts were planks for me, gave them several chances waiting for something to happen, should have swiped left. Actually gave them to Krusty, he seems to get on with them.

Cheers for that...would you say the Magic speed are on a par or better than the Endorphin Speeds?

Difficult one, I have really enjoyed the Endo Speeds, have 1.2k miles across 3 pairs, still learning the Magic Speeds, both have similar weight, similar comfort levels. I would suggest from a pure performance perspective the Endo Speeds, but if I was forced into a decision on a desert island shoe the Magic Speeds, with the half plate just in the forefoot, they work across the ranges better for me, although I haven't taken them longer than 10 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I have and like both but find the Magic Speeds a bit finicky to put on with the flimsy tongue and firm heel which leads me to reaching for the Endorphins more often than not. In terms of performance I'd say there's very little in it, they're both extremely versatile.

How do you find the Takumi Sen 8? A pair arrived today but I haven't had a chance to take them out for a spin yet. They're a beautiful looking shoe and I'm hoping they'll become my go to for the shorter distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Agree about the Shift, they seem long and planky, loved the speed 1 , got the speed 2 off 365rider and just as good. Shame about the Shift, thought they would replace my slow/recovery runs which I used NB More, which were good.

Advertisement