Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

In exceptional circumstances, we have to act in good faith. However, families taking in strangers should take every precaution and not take risky chances.

Yeah, but this isn't about risky chances. This is about taking advantage of others, and being aware of the possibility that it will happen. I'm not suggesting anyone is going to get murdered or kidnapped for ransom. This is in the context of that previous letter, where contributions weren't made towards the running of the house, even though, they have the funds to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s human nature and assuming behaviours and values are the same as yours. What you and I see as normal fair play and decency may not be seen the same way.

Of course they should contribute but they may not feel they have to…lots of poisonous NGOs and hangers on are filling these people with crap also, of that you can be assured

There is a thing you can often see with Chinese people in a hotel. In Ireland, most people would approach the buffet, take what they need, but make sure that they're not taking too much. To be considerate for the other guests. Makes perfect sense to most of us. Be polite, courteous, and considerate of others. However, you'll see groups of Chinese people descend on the buffet, taking much more than they actually need, because if it's free (or part of the deal), then it should be taken. Considering that most of them grew up during poor times, when competition for resources was very competitive, it makes perfect sense for them to act this way. And for most Irish people, when they consider what Chinese people faced in growing up, would make allowances for that.

The point though is that there are strong differences between how people from different cultures behave. Not all Chinese people would behave that way, and many would be disgusted at the behaviour of other Chinese for doing that.. but it doesn't change that such behaviour exists. And it's not terribly uncommon either.

I think that's the point when it comes to the Ukrainian refugees. That we remember that human nature involves a lot of conflicting interests between different people, and often, when it comes to cultures, the differences can be vast. Just because we've called Ukrainians European, doesn't mean that they have a similar culture or perspective to ours. That's worth remembering.

Agreed about the NGOs. You can be pretty sure some of them are filling minds about what people are entitled to.. rather than what's realistically available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That is absolutely the case, when you start hearing phrases like "own door accommodation" you know the NGO's have been in their ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Might as well give them own car transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Regardless of housing etc has nobody even stopped to consider their vaccination status? Considering we’ve been locked down on and off for the past three years, had our lives basically stolen, many went broke, business shut down and now suddenly they’re willing to flood our country with non nationals who aren’t vaccinated against covid?

basically a waiting game to see when we’ll go back into lockdown now, of course the precious refugees won’t be blamed

Young people in Ireland can’t escape Ireland without that vaccine yet it’s grand to just let anyone in who doesn’t have it?

Our country is actually in shambles. Not far off from Sweden at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Dr Karl

And if they are vaccinated was it a Russian, Chinese or a Western one?

Also alot of antibiotics resistant TB in Ukraine.

Ireland and the UK are two of the few countries that are rabies free, cats and dogs allowed in without quarantine. I also disagree with allowing pets in from other EU countries without quarantine. This is one of the issues with the NI protocol, pets can't move between NI and GB without veterinary approval.

I’m an advocate for animal rights so I can’t agree with that statement, animals are susceptible to extreme trauma and ptsd from such events. Idk if the same can be said for their people, The Ukrainians seem to be having a ball here so far

The rabies issue never actually crossed my mind. I’m planning on relocating with my dog soon and due to Ireland being rabies free he won’t need to be quarantined. The thought of him going through that, on his own for two weeks due to an influx of non vetted people actually makes me really angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apparently Housing Minister is going to expand on current Emergency powers that allow local authorities purchase more than 200 houses to accomodate homeless and vunerable people. This apparently aimed at also facilitating housing of Ukrainian refugees.

Laudable idea in principle but have to wonder why this wasn't considered years ago. I also have to wonder how many local authorities over, say the past 5 years have infact purchased 200 homes or anywhere near that number🤔, I'd wager very very few.

Even if this plan is agreed, is the Housing Minister expecting 1000's of homes to be purchased in the next 6 months, Year, 2 years 🤔 are these magical homes to be built 🤔 or purchased from existing stock 🤔, knowing as most people understand there is little or no property available to purchase outside current market , I presume it will have to be new builds.

At a glance and whilst these figures are not saying those on a Housing lists are actually homeless , there remains 59,247 households were on waiting lists last year

This figure is obviously not including the recent influx and I'd have to imagine a large percentage of those on current housing lists , are not living in ideal situations. Also worth pointing out the vast majority on current housing lists are waiting years ,indeed more than a decade in many cases. Separate to this there's near 10k actually classified as homeless , not rough sleeping but in emergency accommodation.

Even being very optimistic and assuming a percentage of pledged accommodation is taken up there is an alarming shortage of available properties either to rent or purchase. This plan, whilst laudable is again a very long term solution option.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let's face it, this is just another thing to add to the pile of Very Important Things We Forgot About Since Christmas. Housing crisis, Healthcare crisis, concerns about the economy, even Direct Provision and our century long rabies free legislation and status*, and yep of course daily updates on covid infections, hospitalisations and deaths and you're an antivaxxer!! if you don't get boosters every six months. While China is increasing its lockdown in Shanghai.** Apparently all these Very Important Things magically went away and overnight with it.

Sure, let's bring in tens of thousands of unvetted people with no cap and numbers of two hundred thousand bandied about and add them to the scarily strained health system with full access, add them to the scarily strained housing problem with no real plan or execution of that plan and add them to one of the largest social welfare budgets in the EU with no real plan on how we pay for that.

Our government, and I increasingly use that word loosely when we're dealing with parish pump airheads like McEntee, Ryan et al, cried Let them in!, while most of us went OK! and Slava Ukraine!, while bugger all seemed to have asked the very obvious fúcking question; how?

* I reckon the rabies thing is hyped up. The chances of a dog or cat being rabid and travelling across Europe for at least a fortnight without being noticed are extremely slim.

**TBH I don't know what the hell they're playing at given how mild it'sbecome and how vanishingly few people are dying from it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So making it harder still for the taxpayers to purchase their own home? Pushing house prices up again

State already purchases a large percentage of housing stock. It would be interesting to see the percentage of social housing not in use, and the percentage occupancy for social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

And to think that some of us here were called bat-**** and were of the tinfoil hatvwearing community when we said that this is exactly what was going to happen. This is criminal. Alot of house hunters will be quite rightly upset by this. More inflated house prices and first time private buyers being outbid by their own taxes. Disgraceful and more contempt being shown to the Irish House hunting private House seeking taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That's a very naïve remedial view of what is currently happening in Ukraine at the moment.

'Sure the part of the country where the Russians are not engaging in one of the biggest slaughters since WW2 is grand'

It isn't, the country's economy and systems have collapsed, its what happens when the likes of Russia intends on a full bloody take over of your country and the invaded country needs to go on a full war footing.

There is between 7 and 8 million people internally displaced a number which is growing daily, by more people returning and more evacuating from the south east. Millions more than have actually left.

That's before we even get to the rather substantial issue of Putin who wants to get the band back together, want's to carve off a large slice of Europe to give back to the Mother Russia so they will erect massive statues of him before he botoxs himself to death, an escalation which could see NATO get involved which means an uncertain future for the actual planet.

But of course you have the perpetual noisy dribblers who can't get over their irrational fear of all people who are not them and see the more substantive issue.

But but but, bloody women and children taking our camp beds in disused sports halls.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Very depressing reading this thread.

But if you vote FF FG GREENS what did you expect.

This will get alot worse before. Actually this is never going to get better were screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

In all fairness, many people asked the question how! We were labelled racist and inhumane. Why don't the government just call it now!? We have so many here. Let's deal with them first. They need to stop this madness of "no cap"! Are they living in lala land for christ sake.

Exactly, if anything it invalidates then vaccine status and basically states that it’s now irrelevant, oh you’re vaccinated, that’s fine we don’t care, we’re still going to population bomb your country with refugees.

Another question I don’t think anyone has considered, is what if Russia decides to turn on us for our alliance with the Ukrainian people? Only a few months ago, Putin was testing his bombs off the coast of Ireland, now we’re bringing the people he’s at war with into Ireland? Putin has contempt for the Ukrainian people, it’s not just a power play to take over their land. What’s stopping him from exterminating them completely, by then coming to the countries with the highest population of Ukrainian refugees when he’s bored of Ukraine itself?

the whole situation just seems like a time bomb, the sheer blindness of our people is immense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very unlikely Putin would fire a random rocket or bombing mission just to Ireland. He has bigger fish to fry. Though he has retaliated against Irish Aircraft Leasing already.

It’s Putin though, he has a bad temper

I imagine his retaliation won’t end there

Even if we did nothing Ireland would still be effected. Tbh he's demonstrated being close with Russia does not project anyone from megalomania.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well at least this time you can't lazily cry racism.

And that's all well and good and a good general overview of what's happening in Ukraine, however I ask the question again: How? How do we absorb tens of thousands of people with apparently no cap into this country in the face of seemingly easily forgotten mulitiple crises we were facing only three months ago?

You point out women and children on camp beds in sports halls. Yes and that's not even close to ideal and can only be a very temporary arrangement. What next? The Red Cross tried their best, but that seems to be unravelling as far as getting back in contact with accommodation pledges. Grassroots pledges on facebook seemed to have worked but numbers are limited. Holiday homes have been suggested and that seems to be going nowhere fast and watch how quickly attitudes will change if the government suggests any coercion around that or property rights in general. The housing crisis is already a tinderbox, where renting is daftly expensive, at least anywhere people want to live, more landlords are getting out of the game and buying your own home is a pipedream for many if not the majority of young people including among the doing fairly ok middle classes. And we've just added 25,000 people to that rolling disaster with no real and practical solution to either.

And that's before the other rolling for decades health crisis in this country. One that covid kicked while it was down. Before this Ukrainian war kicked off official government figures in February stated that there "are over 730,000 people" on waiting lists and "Projections for 2022 show that over 1.5 million patients will be added to active waiting lists this year". Those are truly insane numbers and now we've added over 25,000 people to that, with no cap on more?

So lets drop the women and kids stuff for a moment, because that's just empty emotive rhetoric and that same empty emotive rhetoric has a sell by date looming and won't take us very far when the rubber meets the road in an actual practical way and we have to be mindful how more nasty emotive rhetoric will be all too quick to replace it.

So again: How? How do we come close to solving this in the short term, never mind the medium and long term? I'm hearing lots of Whys around this topic, but fúck all Hows.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

In terms of refugees we've bitten off more than we can chew.

The govt has demonstrated to landlords and tenants they don't care about housing and will happily leave you carry the can. You'd be mad to think they won't do the same with this.

Our political class has always seen itself as apart. Look at McEntee; I'll open my home to refugees(cue praise on twitter), but now that I think about it never mind. This and all the other crises we face will never affect them. They might get voted out next time around, but they'll have thei nice fat pension to cushion the blow.

It used to be more obvious in the bad old days but it's still very much in play, buoyed up by parochial parish pump politics where gombeens vote in the gombeen offspring of often corrupt and disgraced gombeen politicians in simply because they're the kids of same. QV Coveney, McEntee, the Healy-Raes who seem to rule Kerry like a dynastic fiefdom just because they schtick it to da dubs and all those come from a long line of same. As the Savage Eye skit pointed out years ago "I voted fir hees faaather, you'll voote fir hees son. He fixed the roooooads!!!" And what's the alternative? Sinn Fein? Watch how they go down the same well mapped route.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mobius2021

It is depressing and the opposition parties are of the same left leaning populist mantra so they are not going to speak up or do anything about things if they get into power.

We badly, badly need a centre right party that are financially and economically sensible and that place an importance on law and order.

FG, FF, Greens, SF, PBP etc. - they are all merely different shades of the same colour. Bloody depressing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So again: How? How do we come close to solving this in the short term, never mind the medium and long term? I'm hearing lots of Whys around this topic, but fúck all Hows.

Very few people seem interested in that. I suspect people just want to be seen to be helping (usually through talking about it) rather than dealing with the bleaker realities of the situation, because that would require dealing with the realities of the problems facing Ireland before this refugee crisis happened. Better to continue pointing out to everyone that Ireland is one of the richest countries in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

100%

If irish people really want a better future for themselves they must vote for something new because these lads are getting worse every year.

They simply don't have the answers.

Mc Entee letting slip talk about taking homes of people frightens me. Anybody that thinks this will never happen needs to remember only a few months back you weren't allowed into a pub without papers or travel 5km from your home.

Anything is possible with these

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is very true... if 3 years ago you'd suggested that a democratic, liberal, generally young country would face 18 months of restrictions, lockdowns, travel limits, limits on where you can go and what you can do and with whom and needing to show "your papers!" to do so, and that kids would lose out on their education, social development and growth because of a pretty mild illness for almost all that get it, you'd have been called a conspiracy theorist.

And yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And yet the populace by and large went along with it, this government and governments the world over have learned lessons from the pandemic about how citizens can so easily be cowed and controlled and herded in one direction with help from a media who morphed into a government mouthpiece overnight ... Notes have been taken for use at a later date, its an ill wind....... as they say from a powers that be point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would not like to be in the rental or purchase market now. It was already terrible, they’ve just poured a ton of petrol on top of it. There’s no way Ukrainians should get publicly funded housing before those already on the list. Temporary accommodation yes. Long term housing which we had a famine of before this. No way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭golondrinas

I have been in another EU country for the last couple of months. There has been the odd collection or jumble sale in aid of Eukraine. Very few People from Eukraine have arrived locally. There is no mad hysteria here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement