Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

I find it's only a select "special" group who would have a problem with us helping out and making these peoples lives a bit easier. Most fully support everything being done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The "compassionate" really don't have a leg to stand on when they care little about the reduction of quality of life for their own people. Genuinely compassionate people care about all groups, whereas the "compassion" sold by people like yourself only applies to whatever group is trendy to support. You can't treat one group with contempt and another with adulation, and still claim to be a caring person.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I 2nd this. Work in a sector with a lot of people outside the EU. Certain regions of the world produce people who apparently have the same qualifications but in practice their degrees are not worth the paper they are written on. Next to useless in the job. Cannot blanket ban the institutions thatt award them but can filter out a lot by setting technical problems to solve in the recruitment process(with massive weighting to the technical problem in the marking scheme).Other issue is a TEFL or equivalent standardised english language assessment is quite frequently bought(and not earned)in some regions of the world. Another sector i know of insists candidates sit their english language tests in Ireland at their own expense.. led to a 90% reduction of applicants from some regions of the world, and the ones that still applied were top class and became valued colleagues

Give it time, that might be provided too. Our politicians are feeling very generous with the money that Ireland doesn't have to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Why do they even need cars? They’re seeking refuge from war why the automatic higher standard of living than actual Irish nationals or people who’ve been here for years?

we have to pass a ridiculous driving test after paying for more than 12 lessons and they can automatically transfer their license to Irish? What on earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's ironic that the taxes collected from the already struggling middle are now directly being used to squeeze them further by further limiting their ability to access healthcare and housing (per the other thread/Examiner, Darragh O'Brien is granting emergency powers to the councils to buy up what stock there is for housing refugees - which of course they've quietly been at for years to house social tenants).

We're rapidly approaching a situation where taxpayers aren't just funding opportunities and access for others, but now where those same opportunities will be denied to those who are paying for it.

I'd love to see some solid analysis about the amount of tax money spent on things that we need in comparison to things that we don't need. At a glance I'd guess that at least half of government spending is wasted on nonsense that has no real benefit to the people. If an individual wanted a large loan, and used money in the way that the Irish state uses money, they'd be considered a liability, and likely wouldn't get said loan, yet the Irish state gets away with blowing millions everyday with little to no push back or real risk to them. We're all to blame though, because when it comes down to it the Irish are a bunch of pushovers, who almost seem to enjoy being treated like dirt by the political class. In my opinion, it comes down to them having no fear of the people, because the people have allowed them to abuse them and get away with it, so like most abusers they keep abusing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

That's true. The last time I remember massive protests was in response to the Irish Water debacle (8 years ago), and before that in the aftermath of the Veronica Guerin murder and the anti-drug protests (in the mid 90s)

Too many Irish people don't give a toss until/unless it affects them personally, be it directly or someone they care about, or in their own immediate locality.

Our political system has become so diluted by Confidence and Supply and outright Coalition deals to ensure the status quo is maintained (not that SF would be any better mind! Likely the opposite!) that already low turnouts and voter apathy will probably increase, or we start voting in even more unworkable groups as a futile protest vote.

Meanwhile, the average taxpayer is left not only to pay for it all, but to reap ever fewer rewards for it until the entire house of cards collapses (again!) and we have to crawl back to the IMF and EU because Government policies and lax oversight have again run the country over a cliff.

The only ones I treat with contempt are the racists and xenophobes.

Everyone else is quite welcoming as has been seen all across the country.

Sure there's a few vocal racists, there always is, but everyone else just gets on with helping out.

I mean, imagine being pissed off that we are offering safe haven to refugees from a war torn country. How damaged does one have to be to feel such a way I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

"She indicated the Government will avoid, if possible, forcing people or businesses to give up property or open their homes to Ukrainian refugees." Helen Mcentee

Probably when they see the likes of this, the welcome will soon run out...this isn't Communist China.who the hell does this woman think she is...this is a decision the government has taken to take them in and now they're talking to the Irish people about forcing them to give up their property..

Post edited by Freight bandit on

• Advertisement

How is a Caucasian country questioning how we’re going to fund 200,000 coming fellow Caucasians considered racist? Do you actually comprehend the definition of racism?

Good luck getting on with helping out when your income tax skyrockets and you can’t finance your own existence due to inflation

Forcibly remove them from the dail, Eamon Ryan is always asleep so he’ll be an easy target

Um, you raised the aspect of them having cars... not anyone else. You might want to bear that in mind. There's no need to get others involved if you want to argue with yourself.

We're rapidly approaching a situation where taxpayers aren't just funding opportunities and access for others, but now where those same opportunities will be denied to those who are paying for it.

When I came home to Ireland, I did the tour, meeting old friends and catching up with them. (I'm not big into social media friendships). Most of them would be considered "middle class" either due to their parents background, or their own education/income potential. Out of a group of five people, only one wasn't struggling. Between the mortgage, taxes, the costs involved in keeping their kids in schools, they all said that they were worse off than the working class, because nobody had any interest in providing income supports to the middle class. If anything being middle class in Ireland was a worse situation, because regardless of your personal circumstances, you were judged on being of that class (not that we get much choice in the matter). One of my friends would be considered lower working class by most standards, but because his parents have done well for themselves, he's judged by his connection to them.. so he's middle class when it comes to looking for help from the State. And then, there are a few who are definitely working class, whose parents were working class, and who are doing very well for themselves... because they're judged on being working class, and so eligible for supports, even though, any reasonable analysis of their income would put them as upper middle class.

Socially, there's little difference between the classes in Ireland, except for the genuinely lower working class... because of the access to education, and relative easy social mobility.. but when it comes to money, and the way the State perceives you, class is still very much a thing here.

As with most things in Ireland, people (especially politicians) don't really want to deal with the realities of the situation, and will turn to how they think everything should look, as opposed to the way things really are. And nobody can do anything about it, because politics in Ireland is a group-think, and individuals have no real chance to influence anything. You need the support of other established politicians to change anything, including anything in the public service, so... yeah. They're not going to support changing what produces the cream for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh right yeah. They shouldnt be allowed drive cause it will annoy Irish people 😅

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This makes no sense - people you call "genuinely compassionate" treat migrants, asylum seekers and refugees with contempt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

But she won't give her own place cause its a bit dirty.

You could not make it up

Will they be asked to sit a test and pass our rules of the road first, or will we just let em "have at it"?

Will their cars be tested for roadworthiness by the NCT? There's enough dodgy motors on the road as it is if you watched Primetime during the week.

Will they need to reregister the car here and pay motor tax and insurance? (I'm assuming so?)

I can certainly see these things "annoying" Irish people if they had an accident with one of the new arrivals who just got into their car and off they went!

I dont know. It just seems to me like some people just want to make Ukrainians lives as deliberately miserable as possible.

Terry Pratchet

Or alternatively, just expect them to play by the same rules as the rest of us?

Edited to add..

See, it's all very well grandstanding for the "feelz" and social media kudos for "doing the right thing", but once you actually look into the suggestions it seems it's not that straightforward after all!

This is why Government and the cheerleaders are now discovering that having a "come one, come all" policy in the midst of an ongoing housing crisis and deepening economic challenges may NOT have been as easy as they thought!

• Advertisement

Honestly

What about it? Or did I miss something. Did the government say Ukrainians can drive without car insurance?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well the government are giving them €200 a month, so who’s going to pay for their car/car insurance/tax/petrol etc?

Things make little sense when comprehension skills are lacking. My side have never claimed the mantle of compassion, while your side regularly does, which was the point. I only speak for myself too, but I care about my own first and foremost; family and friends, then community, then the Irish as a whole. Those should always be tended to first, and if we've the ability to do so after we've looked after our own, we then look after others. It's absolutely farcical that a nation that can't even meet the basis needs of its own is now trying to be the savior of another group. Nation states are meant to be ran for the people, not the whole world, and that's something our political class have clearly forgotten, and need reminding of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

they can start lobbying for that out of us too.

I know European who have happily converted to Islam.. and are living in Islamic nations. In that situation, it can work very well, as long as people are willing to suspend most values/standards they received from growing up European.

The problem is when Islam is transplanted to Europe, and the Islamic cultural norms are expected to be applied here, because invariably those cultural norms extend beyond Muslims to affect non-Muslims. I genuinely have no issue with Islam when it is in foreign/non-European nations. Their cultures may be able to integrate and work parallel to it.. but western culture has repeatedly shown itself vulnerable to external cultures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh, it's mostly a sop for optics. First they have to get access to a car. Buying one might raise questions about how can they afford one on emergency social welfare barely a wet day in the country. Being loaned one by a family they're staying with is an option, but the insurance companies will baulk at insuring them, or will at huge premiums because they'd be essentially new unknown drivers having to drive on the other side of the road. I've insured two non Irish, but EU origin exes on my car, who had full EU licences and previous EU insurance history, and let's just say I had to bend over, spread my arse cheeks and grimace. If the insurance companies don't load them that'll raise even more questions of the Irish insurance industry, and it's not fond of giving answers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're making some really weird assumptions

1 None of them need to drive a car

2 They are all on the dole

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You just did claim the mantle of compassion earlier so yeah none of what you say makes sense.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement