Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

My point isn’t just about kicking it into the full forward line, as I stated. Tyrone kicked the ball even to move it up the pitch between their backline and our 45. Cavan always hand passed. The ball moves faster than any player can.

Again, the referee did not cause us to score 2 points in 30 minutes of football. That lost us the game. As well as all the missed chances in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

I'd agree with most of that. The ref was poor mostly gave soft frees for any contact, no contact allowed. I swear he even gave a fair shoulder as a free against us. The difference was Tyrone scored there frees we didn't.

It's typical Cavan though blame it all on the referee.

Looks a very poor crowd there. Wonder are all those on twitter and media who made a scene of the Corrigan Park thing be happy. A crap club ground with no fans in attendance.

Antrim seem to have poor support there but it's a Hurling county mostly. Cavan very few went either. BBC NI already highlighting the terrible crowd

In fairness BBC NI are putting it at Antrim’s door re the poor crowd rather than Cavan’s.

Poor so far our shooting awful as usual.

• Advertisement

Cavan didnt even sell our tiny allocation. Although judging by so far it's no wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Painful watch, every bit as bad as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Cavan should have been 7 or 8 up in the first 15 mins but for the shooting. They have allowed a poor Antrim team to stay in it

Hard to believe we are only one ahead here. This is dangerous. Antrim couldn’t be any worse second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

Poor shooting obviously but i think they are playing decently otherwise. Wind looks strong. Smith & lynch winning good ball inside.

• Advertisement

Great goal by Gearoid, superb pass by Martin Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Obvious from this that yous were never ever a Div 4 team.

13 point win. 1-20 scored. Emptied the bench. Got a few lads coming back from injury on. Looked in impressive shape. Couldn’t ask for much more today to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Just out from game, I don't know about poor crowd. Not much space on terrace for more. Cavan miles ahead physically. Massive wind.

Yeah it did seem to fill up a bit more close to throw in. It was a great second half by us.

The lads and management done what was asked so far even if it hasn't been pretty at times, hopefully the supporters get behind them now in the semi final and we get a big crowd there to help us where we will be big underdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Couldn't ask for more on fairness a 13 point win the the Ulster championship is alway impressive not matter who against. I think we cause whoever wins the other quarter some problems. Still as a Ramor man I know of my own clubmen bothered to commit we would be talking about winning Ulster right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Competent performance today Antrim were alot worse than I expected and never caused much problems, a bit of wayward kicking in first half kept them in it.

Paddy Lynch was very impressive.

Who would you expect from Ramor to start and who would you replace with them?

You’d hope looking at that performance today that we were, like Limerick hurling team have admitted, completing heavy training over the League campaign which led to lacklustre performances.

I'd put James Brady in corner forward would add 4 - 5 points a game. Nevertheless whatever our clubs we bleed blue and white brilliant game. Killygarry lost a great clubman over the weekend who would have been delighted with that.

I don’t think Brady would add 4-5 points per game to be honest. He didn’t do much against Kilcoo for Ramor. Anyway, he’s not there so let’s concentrate on the dedicated lads who are and put in a great performance today.

Exciting game with the minors. They never gave up and the scoreline flattered Tyrone in the end as they tagged on scores in the last few minutes.

I do think WAC mentioned a back door in minor which would be great for this group as they couldn’t have got a tougher assignment than last year’s All Ireland finalists at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Antrim and their improvement under the Tyrone management regime had been greatly talked up so it was an impressive win from Cavan. That is the first time we have hammered a team in the Ulster championship since Armagh in 2016 I think.

I didn’t realise that the media ban from the GPA was still ongoing until it was mentioned by BBC today. The WAC lads didn’t mention that when they said the Cavan players weren’t speaking to media. I felt they made it sound like it was a choice by the Cavan players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

When was the last time a Cavan team won an ulster championship game by 13 points or more??

I can't recall any victories like that and my kids tell me I'm old

Not a perfect performance, 1st half shooting was a bit erratic but the lads kicked on in the 2nd half and scored at their ease

Great to see Martin and Ciaran back

Optomistic going into next round considering we've beaten both in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Don't think I have ever seen a margin like it either and I'm no sping chicken either!

Martin Reillys ball into Lynch for Gearoids goal was pin point such a valuable player to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I felt our kick outs didn’t do us any favours. A lot of the time the ball was coming straight back in. Hopefully the lads can regroup and deliver in the back door.

Conor Brady missed the whole Ulster championship in 2020 and only featured late in the Dublin game so he’s also a new factor.

Will Oisin Kiernan be back this year? Conor Smith apparently gone longer than expected. I think it might be best, as others have mentioned re him in the past, to allow him to return to his club and get a good run of games under his belt.

The victory against Antrim was our biggest win in the Ulster Championship in 52 years. Since 1970 against Fermanagh. So yes it was a big scoreline and one we haven't seen in a while!

Fair play to all management and players and hopefully we can give Donegal or Armagh a game of it anyway and see what happens. That will be interesting game itself between Armagh and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Anyone else on the east terrace, with a view obstructed by that ridiculous camera set up?

Outside the poor shooting into a string breeze, we missed 1-4 in the first half, I thought it was a very good performance, with still much to improve on...

We dominated Midfield, Galligan Aussie rules style fetch being the highlight,Clarke,James Smith( when he came out) and Galligan were very good in the air.

Patrick Lynch outside two misses 1-1 in first half was outstanding..

Gerard Smith,Jason McLoughlin and Conor Brady were the standout performers for me, they got through a mountain of work ....Gerard Smith took the fight to Antrim when the game was close,cutting them to shreds, MC Loughlin was his usual 8/10 performance, just Mr Consistent and Conor Brady is just a shithouse,3 times he buried Antrim lads,including Mick McCann, while carrying the ball,He's a serious addition.

You could name so many more lads, nobody didn't have a good game,

Mickey Graham has a serious selection headache, especially in the half back and forward lines.Probably 10 lads in serious consideration for spots.. Armagh/ Donegal will be a huge step up.

Under 20's result was disappointing ,but I'd be reasonably confident 5/6 of those lads will make the step up to senior..

Great achievement,beating Monaghan and Derry missing the two best players in the age group at that level,Caoimhin McGovern and Sean McEvoy.

Watching the Donegal game today, they used two big items to their advantage that I don’t believe they will have against Cavan.

1. They pushed right up on Rafferty and forced him to put his kick outs long and they ruled around the middle. Cavan however have players that can contest around midfield that are just as big as their Donegal counterparts.
    2. Mark McHugh was allowed the run of the pitch. In 2020 Cavan started McLoughlin a half forward just to follow him.

Donegal will be aware of our strengths and we won’t be waiting in the long grass now like 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Was thinking exactly the same. I couldn't believe McGeeney had no plan for that press especially when Donegal destroyed the Armagh kick out in exactly the same way when they played in Breffni in the semi year before last.

• Advertisement

This is what it's all about. Donegal in an Ulster Semi final. Looking at both matches there's certainty a glimmer of hope for Cavan. It's a real test to see where exactly we are

Advertisement