Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet Banking - it's awful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's fine for everything else I run. Phones are not free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Using a banking app on an outdated, unsupported and possibly insecure OS may cost you more than a new phone. Just because it's running ok on the user side, it doesn't mean it's working fine in the background and how vulnerable to the attacks is. Seriously, phone's hardware may be fine, but the software is the biggest concern. You could get a bill pay phone without an upfront payment with a 30-40 Euro plan. If you current spend 15-20 Euro for top ups, then it isn't a huge deal to stretch for an upgrade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And neither is security. So the question is how much are you willing to risk loosing before you decide a new phone is the worth while? If you have 2k on you account, can you live with that being lost, what about an unauthorised OD - still OK?, how about you credit card limited - that OK too? And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If I replace my phone (and I've been thinking about that for awhile as it is indeed showing its age), will the AIB application work better than the BoI application? My complaints are about the design - the BoI app is a ridiculous slog through easy things that require you to be quick on the draw to reply to texts, among other annoyances.

The problem isn't the apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Very insightful and helpful; but the App is still cr@p.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had the same problem a month ago. Rang customer care and was talked through making chrome my default browser and have been able to log in since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

App and website weren't working at all today.

That's unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I was thinking of changing back to them from Ulster Bank they've just blown it, Ulster Bank a mess today as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,656 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah not just me so. Think was constantly just loading and loading.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Worked ok again later on last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can't top up Revolut from AIB today. Keeps failing "3DS authentication". What a joke AIB are.

Thanks Phileas, hadn't thought of that!

Edit: Can't add an AIB card to Google Pay - (my google pay currently uses Revolut which I want to top up!) no text verification happening. So therefore can't use AIB to fund Revolut. Even if the AIB card got added to Google Pay, it would probably still fail on AIB's end anyway...

Are the texts going to your spam box? That's what happened the OP here

Nah, Revolut saying my card "failed 3DS verification" - and many on AIB Twitter saying same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Desertmoon1

Just take a look at twitter. It's not just you. They told me they did some security update thing and since then I haven't been able to use my Aib card to top up revolut. Also I can't get into my account on laptop as my phone not authenticated, despite no issues previously. Sometimes I can check my balance on the app, other times I get an error message. I'm with UB years and their app is by far the best. Just used aib as a second ac, but after the past few weeks I'm done with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Same here, can’t pay for anything online, wallet on iPhone not working and can’t get into AIB online. First time this has happened. Of course trying to pay bills and the SCA is screwing it all up. I love how they tweet their virtue saying it’s all fixed when it clearly isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

My mother is abroad in Spain, and I lodged cash into her AIB bank account, she is trying to top up her Revolut card over there, as she normally would.

As soon as she click add and the amount, a message pops up saying "Something has gone wrong, please try again later". Then she gets a message saying that her banks 3DS verification has failed.

It is extremely frustrating, especially as we were getting that error last year until they made her use a password to authenticate. Not even getting the chance to enter the password.

Does anyone know how to rectify this? She is unable to contact AIB from there and everything is up to date. I'm guessing it is something to do with her being abroad, but I can't see how.

This AIB new security is hell. I have been sorting it out with her for over a year. How is she supposed to stand a chance with it, if it is frustrating me, and I am a lot more confident with tech than she would be, and that is an understatement.

Sometimes AIB app goes to sleep and a confirmation message doesn't pop up. I would usually open AIB app (don't need to login) and then go to finish a transaction. A confirmation request then pops up without any troubles... Also, she should be able to call AIB from Europe, why can't she?

• Advertisement

She was unable to at the time as she was out, but she may try tomorrow. The app wasn't asleep, she was opening AIB app and then backing out and into the Revolut app, I was able to watch and talk her through, then made sure both apps were up to date.

I am positive it is an issue (or 'feature') with AIB, as it is the exact same issue that she was having for months (after getting a new card), until eventually one support agent was able to sort it for her by showing her how to add a password, which I did while I was there beside her . But now she is abroad, it is the same problem again. As soon as transfer is hit, it fails. There is no password prompt appearing, nor does the text come in with the code.

Also, if I try to login to AIB banking to her account, I get this as soon as I login.

Perhaps a poor internet connection then...

I just checked twitter after reading the comments above, I don't have an account, so could have missed loads, but nothing seems to be mentioned this week, but it seems to be happening once a week for the last three weeks.

https://twitter.com/search?q=aib%203ds%20verification&src=typed_query&f=live

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Collards

Dear AIB Online Banking Users,

I am a reluctant refugee of the Ulster Bank withdrawal. Currently undergoing the painful process of transferring to AIB. I just went to set up a new Payee and am getting an error message to say that the IBAN is not a recognised Irish IBAN. I know it's not - it's a U.K. IBAN.

I can see no other section for setting up an international payee, so is my new reality that every single bloody time I want to make an international transfer with AIB, I need to log on to a fecking laptop and manually add the IBAN? Why can't I add international payees like I always could with UB? This will be a serious downgrade in usability for me, so I am really hoping that I am missing something here.

Thanks,

Collards

AIB is a very small bank compared to NatWest Group who can much easier upgrade their online banking with all kinds of bells and whistles... Also, another thing to consider is that traditionally Irish nation is quite slow to progress with new technologies. And finally, AIB is partly owned by the Irish government (together with BOI and PTSB). So it's just a lack of ambition and probably not seeing the need of investment. I often hear people using the phrase 'why change if it's not broken' which nicely summarises of what we have around us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Collards

I have to make a monthly transfer to a UK Euro account. I am in disbelief that I can't save that account as a payee with AIB!

If the amount is same, you can setup a standing order.

So how many foreign banks have you experience of? I have work at a senior level at two European banks and I can tell you nobody is interested in investing in services that people are unwilling to pay for and includes NatWest who where one of our competitors. I have been waiting since the beginning of the month to receive the credentials I need to set up internet banking with one Swiss bank. I went to the supermarket on Saturday morning to see people putting their shopping back on the shelves - one of the banks had a problem with it's card service and they could not do the weekend shop. This kind of thing is happening all over Europe, Ireland is not special by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,634 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What are the muppets in the central bank doing ? You know, the regulators who are supposed to enable consumer protection, actively enforce it in fact..

• Advertisement

Advertisement