Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

So you are saying people only watch their own counties play?

It was a great game of football on a Sunday evening better then repeats of killinaskully anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh, you went way beyond just wanting the first game in NY to be shown, and started talking about bringing in other broadcasters especially TG4 to show the otherwise non-televised game. All I can repeat is that various GAA admin have talked about saturation point and putting a limit on the amount of tv games (it was 50 championship games at the start of the last decade, now its something in the 40s I believe).

Article from 12 years ago. Live TV games facing reduction (irishexaminer.com)

As for the opening game, well I don't recall too much call for it beforehand. It happened to be a good game, but there's a lot of hindsight in selecting it. Another year the Connacht team put 10 points on NY and you've wasted a slot. Hindsight is great, you see it here a lot when Kildare and Wicklow serve up a 4-15 to 5-11 thriller and people wonder why RTE were showing Home and Away or whatever (Kilinaskully it seems in your case)

But if they are running off the championship faster should we really be looking at what was done 12 years ago?

How many Connacht game will be shown? maybe 2 its hardly a saturation of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya most people do only watch their own county + the really big games between the All Ireland favourites and even then it's usually only when it gets to real knockout or a provincial final.

Look, I'm not necessarily completely against you here, personally I think the 50 games was a better amount and that it was a mistake to go backwards.

But just trying to fill you in on some of the logic behind it. RTE (and Sky for that matter) might want to pick more but can't pick unattractive fixtures on the off-chance that they might fluke a good game - they need to be careful with their selections. And the GAA have specifically chosen a model which prevents a dump of the non-selected games onto TG4 etc.

Ragging RTE for showing Kilinaskully suggests you don't understand any of this, so just explaining it.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough. Id say in competitive football provinces like ulster and connacht you would get a large cross over maybe not in leinster or munster

I would be all for TG4 getting a couple games that are not on TV. Hopefully the GAA will allow it in the future

I'de say you live in a bubble of hardcore GAA friends and GAA forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No offence to New York Sligo but would be pretty sure viewing figures would be very small for the match same goes for a lot of the early matches .Most times the cry for promoting the game on tv just suits alot who don't go to the games anyway .

I think he's definitely correct about Ulster - there's a tradition there of going to all 8 Championship games, or at least more than just your own counties games. It helps that it's generally 8 competitive games with a good crowd and atmosphere and the favourites often get gubbed. It's noticeable that even under the new condensed structure that it's still possible to do that with every game having it's own day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Matches with New York and London would have a very niche audience. I like my GAA but no matter how much the GAA promoted a match with either team, I doubt I'd watch.

I can understand fully why RTE would be reluctant to show it

No not at all. I think the GAA and RTE are too cozy and are doing a terrible job of promoting the games. I saw RTE have the ladies rugby between Scotland and Italy or whoever. RTE are poor overall

Why is it poor for them to show that match ?Not showing it will not mean more GAA as has been explained to you already. Also I have no idea what that has to do with whether or not neutrals watch the games that are already on RTE.

We have that in Munster too with hurling but that is the GAA hardcore I am talking about and not the average fan. Sure most fans even in Ulster can't be bothered their bollx going to their own counties league games.

Limerick vs Cork in the league got around 13k and the championship got 45k but yet ye all think the average GAA fan is gonna watch Sligo vs New York if RTE would just "do a better job"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sunday game spend the first 50 minutes last night chatting about 2 games they had all ready spent 5 hours chatting about earlier in the day mean while games not shown on tv at all over the weekend got 3 minutes each.. fair annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Des Cahill was awful on Sunday Game. How does this man get a job presenting? I was hoping that Liam Sheedy could just present the thing by himself and do all the analysis. Sean Cavanagh also made his return and made a fool of himself with his comments about the ref. Even Colm thought it went too far. He throws a tantrum every time Tyrone get a bit of criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RTE love a panel of experts. This happened time and time again during the league recently, a few minutes if Highlights followed by 10 minutes of chat about the highlights, often including incidents that weren't even included in the highlight package. Talking heads......

On the GAA GO coverage, Pateen is a terrible Co commentator. Sounded like he was in poor health to be honest, panting and grunting throughout the whole game.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Unfortunately I think far too many people pay too much attention to who is on the panel or what they say .County bias will inevitable come into it at some stage and also a lot of fans complain about been written off just because the panel didn't tip them to win .Personally I don't give them a chance to annoy me anymore I switch off when the game is done I've seen what I switched on for in the first place .I try and form my own ideas not just ape what the panel say .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I noticed that Sky took a leaf out of RTE's book, and brought Ollie Canning and JJ Delaney up to Fermanagh to watch the Wexford-Galway hurling match from Wexford Park on a monitor.

Presumably because they set up their "studio" there ahead of the Fermanagh football game.

I'll never understand that, you can always read a game better when you're actually at it.

One for the little guy I guess, Sligo decision to dig in their heels over the U20 final justified with a one point win over Mayo. Mayo implode in the last few minutes just over 5 minutes left and 5 points up when Sligo have a man red carded. Queue goalkeeping error #1, and suddenly the crowd get involved and mayo implode, another goal threw in by the goalkeeper and Sligo win their first ever connacht u20/u21 title.

Crowd getting involved certainly did sligo no harm, wouldn't have happened if this home game was played on the side of a hill in the arse hole of ballyhaunis in Mayo

I see Sligo got 30,000 views for the 2 u20s games on youtube. what would be a minimum viewership requirement to show games on RTE?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What is your point exactly? Most of the U-20 games streamed live on there attracted similar figures and some were much higher, you want RTE to show them all?

This game was on TG4. Wasn't live because of Connacht Council acting the boll1x trying to put it on in their own Centre of Excellence, rather than in Markevich Park.

There is more to life than RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

For the love of god, keep RTE away from the U20 Championships. TG4 provide fantastic coverage of them, if RTE got the rights we could end up with just the AI SFs/Finals

Ah ok thanks. I thought there might be something in place which is why they wont show some counties on RTE. 30,000 views on YouTube for 2 u20s games is great going

I am starting to get a little worried about this centre of excellence and the Connacht council. They seem to be becoming too controlling and on a bit of a power trip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Read up on the rights packages between the GAA and various broadcasters, it might answer many of your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is the hurling this evening on TV at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Limerick V Waterford, Gaelic Grounds, 7pm - Sky Sports Arena

Sunday 24 April

Munster SHC

Tipperary V Clare, Semple Stadium, 2pm - RTE 2

Ulster SFC

Donegal V Armagh, MacCumhaill Park, 2pm - BBC Northern Ireland

Connacht SFC

Mayo V Galway, MacHale Park, 4pm - RTE 2

Advertisement