Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

McEntee benignly conceding they will try to avoid forcing Irish citizens give up their property when her govmt has created a housing crisis for 10+ years, lol!! 

Goodbye FFG. (And it really will be a goodbye as many of them are tarting around the EU/UN desperately trying to get out of here.) Hello SF.

Btw: Before Covid no politician would have dared to utter publicly "avoid, if possible, forcing people or businesses to give up property". This is what we get for being so docile in following their instructions. Still we're probably at the top of the country "trust" rankings and so that's something to proudly tell your (homeless) grandchildren about ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And if you think SF will handle anything any better, good luck.

It doesn't matter which party you vote for in Ireland, any which way the country is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Agree. Trying to find a silver lining, I look forward to being robbed from by a new set of people. The sight of those overweight slimy creepy lot we have now, who in recent years came to think they are players on the world stage, is stomach turning. Everything they have "achieved" has been solely for outward facing purposes and they are simply laughing at the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Actually most in work I have heard complaining are people who have had to jump through hoops to get Visas and or citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I'm not that other poster. Don't combine us or our opinions.

Anyone here is free to combine and respond to posts that are have the same opinions if they want to. I'm not sure why you believe you have the power to tell people not to.

Guilt by association through particularly vague ideas. Can't really make that one easier to understand, unless you want me to start talking to a 8 year old.

If you feel guilt by association, then that's on you. If not, then why would you believe that there is guilt by association? Yea, please "start talking to an 8 year old" in your explanation, but hold off on any other patronising comments.

Beyond what I posted above, I won't be talking any more about it because there's already a thread dedicated to it.

Then why bring up the subject of the Australian refugee processing system in the first place if you don't want to talk about it?

it is rather telling that you would pop into the thread, just to drop the link, and then seek to withdraw from the discussion. Sets the tone for any more of your posts I might see... and now know to ignore.

More baseless accusations. Where have I looked to withdraw? Its hypocritical to say that I "seek to withdraw from the discussion" while saying that you yourself will now ignore the discussion. Ignoring discussions is par for the course when you cant defend your responses to posts. For example, when you made the strange comments that refugees are illegal and were berated by multiple other posters for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I'm still in awe and disbelief of that statement from her, this no cap on refugees to take in was the governments decision and here they are now acting as if our private property is theirs to do what they want with ....its mind blowing

Post edited by Freight bandit on

Anyone here is free to combine and respond to posts that are have the same opinions if they want to. I'm not sure why you believe you have the power to tell people not to.

You want posters to see you as having no respect for them? Fine. In any case, doing so was inaccurate, because the other posters opinions and mine, were not the same. As such it confused the issue, when it came to applying your response. Again, if that's what you want.. grand.

As for the rest, having some kind of power, it's called respect and common courtesy. I realise that the importance of it has declined on boards, but I have hopes that posters interested in a decent discussion will try to apply it.

If you feel guilt by association, then that's on you. If not, then why would you believe that there is guilt by association? Yea, please "start talking to an 8 year old" in your explanation, but hold off on any other patronising comments.

You created the guilt by association by linking my viewpoints with that reference. God.. take some responsibility for your own actions. Stop projecting crap on to other posters, when they haven't provided the actual opening to do so.

Then why bring up the subject of the Australian refugee processing system in the first place if you don't want to talk about it?

I was responding to another's post.. and there is a rather adequate explanation in the piece you just quoted. Just goes to show that you're not interested in actually discussing anything, and you're just here to try trigger me. Cause, have you actually engaged in any kind of discussion? nope. You're nitpicking, and trying to push perspectives on to another person.

More baseless accusations. Where have I looked to withdraw? Its hypocritical to say that I "seek to withdraw from the discussion" while saying that you yourself will now ignore the discussion. Ignoring discussions is par for the course when you cant defend your responses to posts. For example, when you made the strange comments that refugees are illegal and were berated by multiple other posters for it.

The proof is in the pudding. Anyone can see the pieces I quoted, and my statements towards them. Just as they can see the manner in which you've tackled this discussion. As for hypocrisy, that's rich considering the standards you have sought to apply to others, but won't apply to yourself.

As for your example, you might want to consider which posters "berated" me. These being the extremely pro-multiculturalism/pro-immigration crowd, who are unwilling to tackle the negatives of their position, and instead, prefer to moralise others about their supposedly virtuous cause.

In any case, what I said stands true. You might have noticed (probably not though) that they didn't counter what I said, simply sought to "berate" me. Quite a bit like your own manner of posting. Decidedly lacking in substance, just plenty of passing judgment.

I will not be discussing this any further until you provide an actual topic to discuss. I've learned not to waste time on the tourists to the thread. (This response took all of 3 minutes to write, but any more would be a complete waste of time or attention)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

I know. What does she mean when she says "Forcing people to give up property". How in the name of God can she say that? Are we in such a daze that that passed us by? Why isn't some journalist asking her about that?

Because RTE are in their pocket.

Anyway, I'd love to see the government try it. It would be easily contested both in Ireland and within the EU... as it goes against the basic concepts of personal ownership. It might be acceptable were Ireland in a war.. but we're not. Alas if it does happen, the govt will be sued, and the taxpayer will end up paying the fines/proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Why don’t they take her seven bed property (as another poster mentioned) and house them there as she’s having second thoughts about taking in ‘a’ refugee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

There is no journalism in this country, there is PR system. The PR programmes (pun intended?) are interrupted only by PR advertisements.

Seven days a week they are miseducating people into selling their futures for the profit of the ruling class today. More people means more pressure, more pressure means more money extraction.

Forget the multiculturalism angle of the picture above, it's about everything in this country. Know your stuff, know the statistics, know the numbers and then have a conversation with a status quo supporter, and ask the question "why?". Keep it short and sweet, invite them to understand that most of what they believe is simply rote learning. Invite critical thought.

It's especially sad to see young people believe what they're told in the face of their own misery. They'll happily trot out the party line of "if only there were more houses built!" while completely ignoring that they're in a cafe where half the people are visibly not from this country, failing to make the obvious connection of hundreds of thousands of people arriving into the country and it's impact on housing. They won't question how many houses need to be built to reduce prices, when, who, why. No, it's the pavlovian "build more houses". Where was the housing crisis during the recession then? Homelessness? Weird! What else could it be?

Off they then go to spend 900 euro a month on a single bed beside a double bed while supporting the very thing sinking them.

But that's what they're told left right and center by the PR machine. Five minutes talking and it's amazing how quickly the penny drops.

So the government threatens to confiscate housing, in a housing crisis, to give to non-irish people while leaving joe shmoe with his 900 euro bed rent forever, game over, normal aspirations destroyed.

I think they've pushed it too far this time. Maybe in 30 years a rebel "journalist" might mention it, just in the nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 allgoodboss

You're rambling. Can you surmise your take of the problem in a few lines and back it up with data?

Probably not.

There is no journalism in this country, there is PR system

There you go. And there's no real need to back it up with data, because it's obvious that it's true.

Just look at the complete lack of negative stories or investigations regarding immigrants or immigration in Ireland, and when the stories are reported, the background of the migrant is downplayed, in favour of focusing on the something else, usually their gender, if they're male.

Ireland and RTE have a long history of censorship, and social conditioning through State run media. Little has changed, except for the decline in active censorship, although not reporting on issues could be considered a form of censorship.

Your inability to parse information is your problem.

But here you go. Poster asks "how can they get away with saying...?"

I explained that it's because there is no journalism in this country, merely a PR machine that presents single sided views that are extensions of the ruling class.

Hopefully that alleviates your comprehension difficulties.

Nope. You didn't answer either question. No surmization and no data. You're talking pure hyperbole. Do you know any journalists personally?

Also, can you give any actual examples, with sources, of how "journalism is a PR machine of the ruling class"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As for your example, you might want to consider which posters "berated" me. These being the extremely pro-multiculturalism/pro-immigration crowd, who are unwilling to tackle the negatives of their position, and instead, prefer to moralise others about their supposedly virtuous cause.

Why should anyone have to address what YOU see as the negatives of multiculturalism and immigration? The positives of multiculturalism and immigration have been elaborated upon numerous times, and simply handwaved away as based upon feels, as though the negatives being elaborated upon aren’t equally based upon feels, with a hefty dose of that same guilt by association which you’re arguing against.

Because some journalist doesn’t need to ask her about it when the context in which she said it is quite clear -

While numbers arriving have fallen in recent days, the Government expects it to rise again in the coming weeks.

McEntee, speaking in Government Buildings this morning, insisted that Ukrainian refugees will continue to be welcomed.

She indicated the Government will avoid, if possible, forcing people or businesses to give up property or open their homes to Ukrainian refugees.

The Millstreet Arena in Co Cork is being used to house at least 70 refugees, with the expectation that mass or emergency forms of accommodation will play a more central role in Irish efforts to welcome Ukrainians.

“Obviously we want to make sure that we don’t find ourselves in a situation where we don’t have space and accommodation, because we’ve been very clear we’re not going to turn people away. We’re not going to put a cap on the number of people,” McEntee said.

She said “every option” is being explored”

“We want to encourage people to come forwards, not to force anybody to have to give up their property or accommodation.”

McEntee said she would back plans to financially help households taking in Ukrainian refugees.

“There are people who are looking for it, there are others who aren’t, but I think obviously if we get to a situation where we want to encourage more people to offer up accommodation, that might be an option.

“We’re very aware that there’s an increase in costs in electricity and fuel, even in food prices.

“So I think what we’d have to establish is how we would cover those costs. I don’t think anybody’s looking to make money out of this.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/ogorman-grouped-accommodation-ukrainian-refugees-5743718-Apr2022/

That last part in bold is the only part I disagree with her on. There are plenty of people looking to make money out of the current situation; only a small amount of people will make any serious money out of it though. When looking to replace direct provision, it was inevitable that the money being spent on DP would simply be moved around. Saving money is not the aim of the game -

It’s understood the Government is looking at converting and refurbishing churches to house refugees as well as vacant properties and prefabs.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-needs-build-35000-homes-26594137.amp

Approved Housing Bodies I expect are preparing themselves for an unexpected windfall in their fortunes, similar to the recent windfall that the Church has managed to negotiate for itself in terms of divestment to accommodate multi-denominational education -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/government-will-pay-church-to-rent-schools-that-become-multi-denominational-1272633.html

The feelings of resentment felt by a vanishingly small minority of people who feel they can’t say anything in public, who feel the media aren’t saying what they want the media to say, aren’t going to prevent the small number of people who are determined to make their fortunes from turning other peoples misfortune into something extremely positive, and profitable, for themselves.

The same people looking for everyone to “join together to fight the elites” are the same people who are critical of “the left”, who are the only people who are as idealistically driven and divided as they are, and that’s why they’ll struggle to gain any interest or popular support for their ideas. They’re critical of anyone receiving support from the State, while complaining because they claim to receive no support from the State, and no support in the media they’re equally as critical of. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that they need the support of the people they’re critical of in order to promote their ideas for how society should function according to their beliefs and values.

State broadcasters are overpaid! Shocker!

Jaysus.

*Asks for summary, is told summary* "noooo, you didn't answer my question!"

Sorry man, I'm not going to engage further with such enfeeblement after this.

However, you did ask for a "data" essentially, and I didn't provide it, that's correct.

You see, thats the schtick of a mumbling dissenter. Make no point, but ask for all the data, no matter how blazingly obvious it is.

I could waste my time pointing out this, providing information, citations, references, but it would be a complete waste of time because you don't care. You're pretending to care.

Let me give you some examples of your own variety.

Statement: the Earth is not flat.

The schtick: "I don't know what you're saying, but also please provide evidence that the earth isn't flat and if you don't the Earth is flat."

Statement: smoking is bad for your health.

The schtick: "I can't understand what you mean, you're talking crazy. Please provide sworn affidavits from medical professionals immediately or else smoking is good for you."

What you're doing is not clever or new. You are simultaneously playing stupid, putting on a ridiculously thin veil of "asking questions", demanding people work for you, but regardless will refute anything you don't like.

It's a time wasting tactic designed to frustrate and railroad genuine conversation.

Now this is the part where you state what you were going to state anyway, "see, he can't explain anything!" Boring and stupid.

Just get to the end point all ready.

And yet here you are, responding :)

Again, no data. No real argument. And rambling.

You sound angry. Would you just do a night course, maybe a degree? Better yourself? Or maybe play 5 a side football or something at least? Might be a good distraction.

• Advertisement

You're out of your mind if you think a "vanishingly few" people believe that the importation of extra people into a housing crisis, worsening health care situation, worsening education situation, worsening inflation and energy situation is a bad thing. Never mind the ukrainians.

And that's not even touching cultural differences, which I'm sure the families of two mutilated, beheaded people have all ready forgotten, for instance. Nothing to think about, it's all gravy.

Put these questions to referenda and prepare to have your mind melt out of your ears.

"Vanishingly few", that's a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

I don't get the McEntee thing at all what was she talking about. She can't force anyone to give up their home or business. Even the implication doesn't make sense and will just cause trouble for the government IMO. Where are we China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I'll be honest One Eyed Jack, I used to think it was a minority but more and more people are fed up with it (many dance around the subject).

It's not immigrants (issues like 2vweeks ago aside, heard a surprising amount angry at that) etc that people have an issue with its the approach of the government to things. Always money when it's something the government want to do something, never money at other times. And it's pissing people off. Health is a money pit, we just throw money at problems badly, without any thought in long term impacts/other effects.

The squeezed middle (which includes many foreign people) are getting increasingly pissed off about seeing their government enacts policies and make decisions that impact them negatively or limit their opportunities. Things like own door policies for asulym seekers or buying houses for Ukrainians is a slap in the face for many people.

It's like they want a far right to form....

What legal mechanism would they use to take away people's homes? Or would they just make one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

They'll probably just use the "Its an Emergency" bit again.

I suspect that anyone who doesn’t share your opinions is out of their minds. It’s not a persuasive argument. Meanwhile if there were any truth to your claims, people wouldn’t need persuading. Meanwhile you advise people to do this -

Know your stuff, know the statistics, know the numbers and then have a conversation with a status quo supporter, and ask the question "why?". Keep it short and sweet, invite them to understand that most of what they believe is simply rote learning. Invite critical thought.

Knowing well what you’re doing is this -

What you're doing is not clever or new. You are simultaneously playing stupid, putting on a ridiculously thin veil of "asking questions", demanding people work for you, but regardless will refute anything you don't like.

All you have are a handful of anecdotes. You don’t even have a persuasive argument, and the “vanishingly few” I referred to were the vanishingly small minority of people who feel they can’t say anything in public, etc -

The feelings of resentment felt by a vanishingly small minority of people who feel they can’t say anything in public, who feel the media aren’t saying what they want the media to say, aren’t going to prevent the small number of people who are determined to make their fortunes from turning other peoples misfortune into something extremely positive, and profitable, for themselves.

If they were to say anything in public, they would at least be more visible, y’know, like the group calling themselves “The People of Ireland against Fuel Prices”, and how did that go?

https://www.thejournal.ie/haulier-protest-dublin-monday-5733674-Apr2022/#comments

Lots of support in their echo chambers on social media, fcukall support in reality for their nonsense.

When did they use this before though? Any specifics you can share?

Deadly. You've got my number, for reals. Consider this for a nanosecond; you assume I'm a low paid worker, I'm uneducated, racist and so on. The problem, you see, is that you're talking to me, not about me, and you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. So your insight is, demonstrably, woefully wrong. What do you think that says to me about your other interpretations of reality? Give a guess.

"De fordeners" as your green book instructs you to use, take up housing and take up facility.

That's the bottom line, and in a competition between the measurable realities of an affordability crisis of a Nation versus your insipid pavlovian internet sentinel training, your infantilism means sweet, sweet FA.

Now cry about your -isms and similarly projected shortcomings such as being "little".

Yeah, I'm a racist bamblophonic bongophobe-spelunking supersonic whistling pangolin-phile. Yeah, it's terrible, I know.

I can say, with full honesty, that anyone who thinks that a "vanishingly few" people think this whole thing is a crock of shite, despite what seems like every current political event in the world is stating to be the opposite, is just way out of touch with reality. Way, way out of touch.

We can go back and forth about the zeitgeist until the cows come home, and if there was a semblance of a spine within this country the question on more/less/same immigration would be put to bed with a referendum. Resoundingly so, in my opinion.

Instead of relying on the impossible, just keep watching how things unfold. That's all there is to it. I'm not sweating about the direction the world is going, that's for sure. Are you? That's rhetorical.

• Advertisement

Yeah but my point is that for all their complaining about issues, very few people will actually DO anything to bring about change, and those that do try and do something have never received popular support, and they’re often castigated in the public domain.

Health, housing, squeezed middle issues have been pissing people off for as long as I can remember, but they’re always expecting someone else to make the first move, and when anyone does make the first move, people who complain don’t want to be associated with them.

It appears that the majority of people are primarily concerned with what’s happening in their own lives to show any concern for other people, and only when they’re directly affected do they go looking for support. Other people looking on will reasonably surmise that those people looking for support now, didn’t support them when they needed support, so why should they bother?

Any party trying to pass themselves off as far-right in this country will never gain any traction, let alone getting within an asses roar of threatening the two main parties who are doing a comical impression of aping leftist ideals.

Advertisement