Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

If he didn't score against MU Wednesday we wouldn't be getting an update now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Salah’s starting to get on my nerves with this craic.

Asked about it or not, shut your mouth and concentrate on the football. There’s a massive month and a half ahead and absolutely no time for this contract bulls**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yeah, it's nonsense. His line seems to be that he wants a certain amount of money because of the "prestige" and "respect" that goes along with it. At least be honest - it's about the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kick-off time for the cup final is 4:45pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Maybe it's that Salah wants a 5 year deal at X wages but the club are offering a 4 year deal at X wages? I dunno but it is dragging on too much for my liking, and too publicly. Salah's side definitely applying the pressure anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm with Salah on this, it's obviously a negotiation he can't just capitulate in an interview and say he's going to sign. I think he wants to stay but they're not in agreement over something, hopefully they get there but if not I won't turn against the magnificent Egyptian.

Too much is made out of his recent goal drought, he hasn't been bad and the reality is he's the most marked man on the pitch no matter who he's playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't say it's quite 'all about the money'... like, the sticking point is definitely money, but it's not 'I want the most money I can get', as if that was the case we wouldn't even be in the running. He'd be out the door and getting probably 50% more than we'll ever be able to offer somewhere else.

I think it's more of a "I want to stay, I'll take a financial loss, but there's a limit to the potential loss I'm willing to take", and it's just a case of them trying to find that balance. I mean, I get it. It's the last big payoff he'll get for playing football in his career most likely. I just hope they can find the win/win scenario between his max worth, and what doesn't feel financially negligent to accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Wouldn't be a buy out clause he wants that's reasonable.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool could be offering 4 year contact with an extra one year option where as Salah wants 5 year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Salah’s contract covers the year Klopp intends to leave (hopefully not but it’s 2024). He may want assurances around that for all we know. Personally I want Klopp long term before anyone else including Salah.

• Advertisement

Has any team made Salah their priority signing this summer? There are very few teams who can offer him more than Liverpool must be offering in terms of wages and potential for success, I’m not hearing a lot from MC, Bayern, RM, PSG.

I doubt anyone is looking to sign him this summer at this stage, but i'd say there's plenty that would be very happy to dive in and get him on a free transfer next summer if he doesn't sign up, and hand him his valuation in wages instead. The ~100 million you're saving on a fee straight away gives him an almost 500k a week 4 year deal. Be no shortage of clubs willing to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

MC spending on Haaland, RM and PSG fighting over Mbappe, not a done deal for RM yet. Bayern don’t know but the final outcome of Mbappe might move the Salah situation. Strangely Salah not in the upcoming World Cup (mid season now) might actually increase his value due to no possibility of injury during the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Yeah, agree with this. Seems like he doesn't want to come out and say he want £500K per week, so says he wants to be respected. I guess his idea of showing respect to him would be to pay him a lot.

This is an AFP article on Salah -

"The 29-year-old reportedly wants to be made the Premier League's highest-paid player, with wages of around £500 000 per week."

If he really wanted 500k a week I'm not sure any negotiations would even be taking place. Like, that's at least 25% above the highest figures Liverpool will realistically be stretching to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Really can't see the club allowing him to run down his contract and leaving for free,so if an agreement can't be reached they will surely sell him in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Club need to set a deadline on this, more riddles and confusion today. My preference is we let him run down the contract instead of selling. I'm not fussed anyway I'm long past been bothered about any player leaving.

Yeah, that'd be my preference too. Get another year out of him while the team's at this unreal level, and lets Carvalho bed in for a season too. I'd rather keep this incredible squad together as long as we can, even at the cost of whatever fee we might get with a year left .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Id offer him a fiver a week and a million euro goal bonus! As he gets older he gets cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I read on Facebook that he's looking for reassurance that Klopp signs an extension and if not then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I still think he'll sign. But it's an unusual spot for Liverpool, in years past the player had all the power. Right now I'd edge the power slightly in the clubs favour as there's not many landing spots for Salah right now and the team is one of the top few in Europe. And I think he actually wants to stay.

I also think Klopp and Mane will sign extensions of some sort in the summer. Firmino and Keita could go any way, extension, sold or leave on a free in a year. If either leave his summer they'll be replaced or you see a young replacement brought in and given a year to settle.

Ox, Origi, Minamino of the main squad leave. Replaced by Carvalho and a CM under the age of 25.

Milner stays and gets a further reduced role. Neco stays until after the World Cup due to fixture congestion and then goes on loan. Although clubs might be banging down the door to get him in the summer as I think his price is only going up.

Tsimikas and Gomez could also get offers in the summer. Both good players not getting a lot of him.

Post edited by Fromvert on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Let me just add, I am critical of Salah as at the moment we are not sure what the other factors are. The reports are he wants to be acknowledged by the club for his stature and shown respect and that for me means only one thing, it is about money. If there are other factors about staffing, which I am not sure what he could be asking for as the club cannot force Klopp to sign an extension, then I will soften my view of him. We will have to wait and see when the dust settles what the reports are on what happened.

I am not going to get too wound up at the moment though, whether he leaves or stays. Maybe before we got Jota and Diaz it would have been more urgent to sign Salah at any cost. But we have shown we are able to identify players that fit our system who can come in and do a job. Not replace as Salah has been incredible scoring and creating, but do a different job and still be successful.

Let's be honest, I doubt anyone was thinking our squad will be strong enough to play for 4 trophies this season at this stage when the season started. Look at the pundits previews and how few thought we would be challenging. With all the complaints of spending and #FSGOUT trending every few months, we are arguably the strongest squad in the PL at the moment. I am comfortable that the running of the club is in safe hands and Salah potentially leaving is not causing me sleepless nights as it would have a couple years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Would agree with a lot of your points, but, Salah especially in the first half of the season is one of the main reasons we are in the position we are in, take him out of the equation and we wouldn't still be in contention for the league, plus our CL route would probably be more difficult and take a different, possibly more difficult path. Also when Salah is on the pitch, teams are often focusing more on him, leaving opportunities for the other forwards. With the exception of Afcon ( which was only a few matches), we haven't really had an extended period without him, a bit like VVD last year, we will only really miss him when he's gone, if a contract can't be sorted out then I'd prefer him to stay next season than sell him in the summer.

Would be disappointing if he goes but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The money he reportedly wants (£130m over 5 years ) wouid help fund younger players for the system.

There's no way, imo, that Salah will be as potent in 3 or 4 years, but wouid still be picking up ridiculous wages.

I'd be siding with the club on this one. Keep Klopp at all costs, but don't jeopardise the wage structure for Salah. Look at the circus at utd to see how mediocrity gets rewarded, and how motivated some of those guys get.

No doubting Salah has been amazing and would be a loss, but if we accept we are not an oil backed club then controlling finances are important to a successful club like Liverpool remaining elite long term, then we must understand there are limits.

Hearing less 'just give Salah what he wants'. Of course Jota and Diaz being frigging amazing doesn't hurt.

I'd like him to stay, but not if it strains our wage structure.

• Advertisement

As the club seems to have extremely capable people in the departments charged with both negotiating with, and finding a replacement, we can be confident that whatever happens Liverpool will keep rolling on. But like others, I’d like to hear that a date is fixed for a decision being made, either sign by say June 30th or we start shopping for a replacement. I don’t think having an ongoing issue with the contract all next season will help either the club, Klopp nor Salah himself. I’ll miss him, but not as much is I would have before Diaz joined and Mane’s form picked up. If it’s a case of €500 or I’m off, then Bon voyage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In my opinion, the Salah negotiation is about trying to value his age 32 - 34 seasons correctly. Awarding Salah a "prestige" contract now when he turns 30 in June and is working through another incredible season is fully supportable. He has earned it. He is likely to be operating at a "prestige" level at the start of next season, but for every subsequent season, the risks around a significant decrease in availability and performance increase.

People think of athletes aging as a curve. We imagine it as a gradual predictable decrease in performance from peak years to retirement. Instead, we should think of it as flipping a weighted uneven coin or drawing a lottery where the ratio of balls containing adverse outcomes increases substantially. Salah could keep performing at a similar level through his age 34 season. But also, he could start missing more significant amounts of games. Or he could lose a yard of pace. And the odds of these outcomes decrease with every year that passes from here.

The club probably should sell on Salah and Mane and reinvest the fees in younger replacements. The fallout from such a decision will be difficult and painful, but this way, we control the timing and proactively get ahead of the inevitable. Salah and Mane are doubtful to be operating at this level of availability and performance during the 2024/2025 season. And paying for their age 33 and age 34 years at a level commensurate to their performance during their age 26 to age 30 seasons is likely to be bad business. We've had a great run. It's time to move on.

I agree the club can't just give Salah what he wants and expect no knock on effect with other negotiations. The financial stability of the club is more important than any player and even Klopp himself, but, getting rid of both Salah and Mane together is ludicrous, one of the reasons the likes of Diaz and Jota signed in the first place was to play with them, a bit like Messi at Barca, part of reason players signed was so they could play with him.

Rather than weakening our squad, we should always be trying to improve it, I can't see how we strengthen the squad by losing both Salah & Mane at same time. A deal with Salah may not be possible, in that case I'd prefer him to stay next year and leave on a free. I would think in that case Mane is likely to stay, can't see the club letting both go.

Also a lot of the top players around Europe are playing to a high level well into their thirties, Lewandowski and Benzema currently, and Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahimovic in the recent past, so Salah could still be performing to a high level in 3/4 years time, he's already performed way above what the club pays him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Club first for me too. If he's not signing I'm defo keeping him next season. He gets 5 weeks rest when everyone else is going to burn out after the world cup. Send him off with more medals. Thanks for all the fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Club always comes first. Players have left before and others will leave after. We'll find a way to mitigate it. If we've learned anything by now its that we can trust the club, this manager and staff top find the right solutions.

No idea why Mo thinks we all know what he wants though, a cursory look at social media or any Liverpool forum will show that were all oblivious bar thinking its more money he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You’re right - we can’t get better by letting Salah / Mane go, at least not in the short term.

But this is happening either way. Time is undefeated. You have to make a decision on whether you are going to be paying hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to Mane and Salah age 32 to age 34 now. Because if you don’t want to pay for those years (and you shouldn’t) they just be sold this summer, when they are 30 and retain reasonable value.

This is tough, it is. We can choose to sign extend everyone and have the team age together and Klopp will leave an aging overpaid squad behind. This is how you recreate a 30 year league title drought.

But we can’t expect to play this type of football successfully rotating in Firmino / Mane / Salah and expecting them to press aggressively as 33 year olds. Or crossing our fingers that they maintain their pace and athleticism and continue to produce at this level. This time was always coming. Let’s manage the fallout when Klopp is there and we are strong all throughout the squad in other positions AND as attractive to up and coming young players as we’ll ever be in terms of signing replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd be selling and reinvesting this summer if he won't sign,be a huge loss but the 100 mill or so will be spent wisely you'd imagine, targets already there,clubs run well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

and to think Utd and Arsenal fans used to laugh and ridicule us. 🤣 that Bruno lad is a rat, another horror tackle unpunished

Arsenal are nearly 20 years without a league title, Utd nearly 10.

It's mad stuff.

I don't see anyone even buying Mo this summer bar maybe PSG if Mbappe leaves and he probably wouldn't be interested in that move. Recent history with Can, Gini etc has shown we'd rather use the players while we own them than sell and suffer earlier than we need to. Also assumes Mo would accept leaving, its much better for his bank balance to leave on a free too.

C’mon Watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

It pisses me off that fans are willing to let FSG off the hook in terms of not re-signing the club's best players in order to protect the 'business model' ie the profits and asset value of an investment fund. FSG bought the club for £300M, then invested about £800M, it's now worth at least £3B. So they're up about £2B on paper off the back of the club (not including other investments that they've taken on over time, like the 500 odd million from Redbird). They're vultures just like the Glazers, they've just made better sporting appointments. Fcuk FSG, pay Salah, pay Mane, and buy more players to rotate or replace them over time. The club can afford it, FSG can afford it. FFP doesn't exist. Salah and Mane deserve big deals based on their performances. Why should they settle for less than they can get elsewhere?

Besides, Mane is my favourite footballer since John Barnes and I'd be happy for the club to sign him on a ten year deal. I'd say he'll still be a pain in the hole to play against at 40.

That didn't take long.

Why get your hopes up it is Watford at home go and enjoy the sun

• Advertisement

Nearly 60 goal difference between Utd and ourselves, in all utds years of PL dominance I don't think we ever fell that far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Anything less than 5-0 would be a mild surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is not the game to be hoping for the slip up. City will try put 6 past them to pull in the goal difference here...

Because sometimes strange results happen, they beat us when every other team had been put to the sword a couple of years ago, and a bang average AV scored 7 against us. So I’ll be watching and hoping every MC/Liverpool match til the end of the season until all hope is gone.

Villa one was crazy with 4 deflected shots that led to goals, this Watford is not the same Watford that caught Liverpool out and most important Man City are at home.

Incredibly simplistic and incorrect way of breaking it down.

They have their faults but I wouldn't swap our owners for anyone else's in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

What's incorrect? Enlighten me.

FSG have shown their true colours a few times (putting staff on furlough, super league), only rowing back when fan backlash arose. Also, the standard for quality football club owners in the PL is very low so preferring them to others doesn't say whole lot. Not being a despot or criminal probably puts you mid-table as PL club owner.

• Advertisement

We currently have the strongest squad we've probably ever had, normally that's the time you strengthen, let both Mane and Salah go this summer, whatever way you spin it, you are weakening the squad considerably. Yes, both have to be replaced in time ( everyone knows and accepts that), but, no need to get rid of them early, when both still performing at a very high level. We may win the Quadruple or just end up with the league cup this season, but, getting rid of both Salah and Mane this summer pretty much guarantees we won't be in the running for the major honours next season

Advertisement