Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Road Bike for beginner

Options
  • 21-04-2022 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I have a mountain bike but want to get a carbon road bike as well and join the local cycling club here in Ashbourne. Any recommendations for an entry level carbon road bike? Happy to spend a bit of money but don't want to break the bank either! Recommendations for specific makes to use or to avoid welcome, also recommendations for where to purchase said bike.

Thanks!

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Hi Mark,

If you’re interested in buying second hand, I have a nice Planet X Pro Carbon here for sale. If interested, I can provide more info.

If you want to go brand new, maybe have a look at chain reaction cycles / wiggle. Last time I was searching for a new bike (pre-covid), their Vitus brand was good value. Alternatively, you could visit a local bike shop and see what brands/stock they’ve got...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MarkyBoi30

Thanks - new probably makes more sense due to being avail of the cycle to work scheme for up to €1250 for the cost of a bike, saving me 52% in taxes. Although I am sure a new carbon road bike will probably cost me double that!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

No panic. Yeah I’d imagine so. Vitus, Merida, Cube and Canyon are some mainstream, good quality brands that are generally more affordable than the likes of Trek, Specialized or Cannondale.

If I were in the market for a new bike, especially at entry level, I’d be avoiding disc brakes. But that’s personal preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't get too hung up on carbon; at the same price point, you could get a decent alloy frame with decent components, or a cheap(ish) carbon frame with cheaper components.

e.g. a giant carbon bike with 105 and rim brakes is 2.3k, but an alu frame bike with 105 and disc brakes (which are more expensive) is 1.9k. at retail prices, the difference between 105 rim brake and 105 disc is approx €200, so that shows the premium being paid for carbon.

and shimano 105 hydraulic disc brakes are not to be sneezed at.

I'd start out with a good aluminium for a first road bike for the reasons above. Good aluminium is better than entry level carbon. As it's your first bike, it's going to take a lot more wear and tear and aluminium can take more of a beating.

If you get into cycling, then, you are going to need a second bike down the road and the alloy bike can become the winter bike and you can splash out on a nice carbon bike. But most people probably never get beyond that first bike and better to have the cheaper bike sitting in the shed.

If you are set on carbon, the best value entry level carbon I've seen at the moment is an Orbea Orca M30 for about 2,300e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Shimano 105 will be your best friend. Can never go wrong with a bike equipped with 105 for value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I would check if your employer can manage cycle to work with Canyon or not. If they can , then you're sorted as I don’t think you can beat the price to quality ratio of canyon for new bikes. Buy the canyon that fits your budget.

If your employer won’t allow a canyon purchase (a lot if companies use middleman/administrators with a ‘voucher’ system that effectively blocks it), then you’re best bet is to check out a few of your local bike shops to see what options they have. Talk it through with the sales people and figure out what’s best for you. Do go to more than one shop though so you feel more comfortable with whatever decision you make.

As mentioned above, I wouldn’t be too hung up on carbon, but having a 105 level groupset or better is arguably more important. Personally I would recommend disc over rim brake just on the basis that resale values and wheel upgrade availabilities etc are likely to be better over next few years. At the same time, rim brake bikes are lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain so it’s really just up to personal preference as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If the bug bites you're going to want to upgrade regardless. Leave a good bit of headroom in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'd get secondhand now and use the BTW scheme when you upgrade.

What size are you looking for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I also wouldn't get hung up on disc brakes. They're great and all but nothing wrong with good, well maintained rim brakes either.

If you get into cycling, you don't need a second bike either. I say this as someone with 5. Again, you just need to maintain the one your using.

• Advertisement

I'd second the disc breaks, especially if using in the winter in Ireland. I only got my first disc bike last year and must admit it's far nicer for winter riding. I don't think it matters in the summer.

As for the second bike, I suppose I should have said want rather than need. If you ride one bike right through the year, then even regular maintenance and cleaning is going to take a toll. Then again, lots of people put the bike away for the darker, wetter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There is still a supply issue so your local bike shop is worth going to .Any new bike now with 105 groups etc seems to be around €1600. I would not rule out second hand and if you do get big into it spend bigger money then .Also if you do cycle all year round a cheaper decent bike is good for the wet days plus maintenance should be less .

Winter in Ireland is often mild and dry. It's not remotely as wet as people like to think it is. Unless they're in the extreme west where it has nearly 3x as much as the east. I feel like it's always raining in Galway and Cork too.

I find my discs pick up contamination way quicker than my rim brake bikes, and excepting the really lumpy cycles with fast descents rim brakes are perfectly fine and will offer slightly better value imo, especially on the 2nd hand market. It could also just be that my 2 favourite bikes to ride (I have 5) are my 2 rimmed break ones over my 3 disc bikes.

Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with discs, but I'm sick of this, you need to have a discs talk, you need to have 105 or above talk, that justs adds costs and a barrier to people who are looking to get into cycling.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Tiagra 4700 or 4600 and newer Sora.

*Again I say this as someone who has 105/Centaur and above and too many bikes, wheels, gear. But I started out with a cheap 2nd hand Sora equipped bike and got going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

One indirect advantage of discs is clearance for wider tyres for more comfort on bad roads. I'm planning to get a new bike and I'm considering discs for that reason only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

I Bought a Canyon Ultimate CF 7 I think, was 4 years ago for my daughter, not top of the range,

all 105, everything worked on that bike straight out of the box, I was amazed by how light it was.

It would definitely make a fantastic starter bike and a keeper at that. I wish I remembered the

specs of the rest, but at the time it was way ahead of what I could find in a Trek, but Trek are

a nice bike and I would have one again if the pricing was right. Getting a bike that fits you is

vital, otherwise you will be sore unhappy and underperforming at what ever level your at.

I currently have an old aluminium Marin Argenta Comp, handles well and so comfortable,

its light too, so in no hurry to get me a carbon, Had an real comfortable Boardman, the frame

was fantastic, the set up from halfords was terrible, they scratched it attempting to fix it, left

it with them for a refund, sad that a good bike was put to shame by people who couldn't even

assemble it without damage.

Fair points, but I suppose this is advice being given to someone who is looking to buy a carbon road bike i.e. spending around 2.5k on first bike so not sure cost is the barrier here.

I'm not sure anyone is saying you need to have discs - just offering feedback based on their experience. I moved over recently and notice a big difference on my usually very lumpy and wet winter rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Do we know the budget for the bike that might narrow things a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

An aluminium frame with Tiagra and rim brakes won't stop you enjoying cycling compared to carbon with 105 and disc brakes. Anything modern from a reputable manufacturer should do the job.

Personally I wouldn't bother with disc brakes unless you're planning on commuting in the Winter. I was cleaning my rims 2-3 times a week cycling to work as the wet roads made the braking surface filthy. Aside from that rim brakes work just fine. I found 105 pads to be crap in the wet but a nice set of SwissStop pads fixed that.

I wouldn't splash out too much as a beginner. Get your bearings first then take it from there. If you're really into it then maybe get a nice set of wheels, a power meter and a Garmin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Good advice there

Spend modestly and just get out to cycle.

My tiagra geared aluminium frame with carbon forks is still going strong 7 years later. In fact I had it on a 110km cycle at the weekend along with lads on €8000+ bikes.

You'll still need to spend more on shoes, clothing, computer, helmet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement