Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Why are you using form for 4 games? Thats not form. 6 data points are widely accepted as a trend, whether its form in sports or trends in an excel file. Stop picking 4 to suit your point, its wrong.

And yeah, those teams have played more games. They also have bigger and better squads. So it counteracts that pretty quickly imo. Do you think City look tired or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Marsch has been in for six games. Him and the squad took a couple to adjust and with the return of Kalvin we've become a different proposition. And there are no set parameters for a trend, bar the 38 games that constitute the championship. We're on the best form of the season. The teams below us are not. Ipso facto that continues and we move up.

Games take a toll, however good the players. Mahrez, Sterling, Silva and Cancelo have all played over 40 games this season and the team have two more before they meet us. It's going to be tough but they're under enormous pressure and may end the season trophy-less. A near-full strength fitter and fresher Leeds in front of a noisy crowd could get to them if things aren't going well. Fernandinho overdue a red card but I say that more in hope....

And in terms of over-optimism could you ever countenance that I may be balancing out some pessimism here with a shot of realism? I got hammered here last season for saying we'd be close to European places. I now think we'll finish 12th/13th on circa 43 points. Again I ask, what's your predicted final tally?

And btw if you use the BBC form metric only four teams (Pool, City, Spurs and Brentford) have more points than us in the last five. You can continue saying that we're not on form but you're arguing with stats, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Hear the argument that we’ve ten points from four games but we really haven’t played well in any of them other than first half against Norwich, by far the worst team in the league. Dead and buried against Wolves if Jimenez stays on, lucky not to lose against Southampton and poor against Watford,the second worst team. So in my view the form argument just doesn’t stack up. Next few games are a serious step up, hence my fears. 5 points might be enough. We can do that with one win and couple draws.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Agreed re the on-pitch form but that’s true of many teams who are picking up the points as we are. The stats, however, dictate the official form and I’m absolutely fine with mediocre performances netting points. Things much clearer by this day next week.

I haven't said we aren't on form. At all. I've just said Burnely aren't far behind us

The form was similar in Feb and early March. Now we’re superior and will pull away from Burnley.

Two of the four I’d said would lose already have. Pool will almost certainly beat Everton and Wolves should beat Burnley. Up to us then to take advantage on Monday. But will we? Hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Some result for Burnley

Lampard for the sack and Everton to turn it around?

They are not a bad side on paper if they click

See? It's Everton we need to start looking at now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

We're in big bother all of a sudden again. Burnleys recent run was unforeseen and certainly didn't see this happening without Dyche. All their final few games are very winnable and I think its between us ans Everton now. This Palace match is huge to keep the momentum up. A defeat could get heads down again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Form usually means playing well and picking up points. Form for horses means that they are running well and winning, not waiting for every other horse to fall over so they win. At the moment we are playing really poorly but picking up points. Burnley now 7 from 9 since Dyche went. Liverpool v Everton and our game tomorrow night now massive. I think it'll go right to the wire, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It’ll be neck and neck and come down to the final day between ourselves and Everton I think unfortunately. A result will be badly needed tomorrow night though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mixed results for us today. Liverpool took their time breaking down Everton, but they eventually did us a huge favour today, especially after the Burnley win. A win tomorrow night would be massive, but I think it's almost as important that we just don't lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know the aim of the game is staying up, but please say leeds don't try and solely sit back in the upcoming games. I'd rather be relegated playing football than think 17% possession is ok

Hands up. No way I thought Burnley would get 3 points today. I still expect them to struggle but if we win tomorrow we’re almost there.

And Burnley may survive, but barely. We’ll end up being comfortable enough.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I have to say we are a lot better than we were defensively under Bielsa.

But the next 4 are tough. And Brighton and Brentford won't be a walk in the park either.

It's all in our hands though, and we will live or die on how much we want it and how far we are willing to go in these matches. We are not good enough for this division if we bottle it.

Could really do with Watford beating Burnley and Everton.

I think its us or the toffees now if I am honest. I was convinced we were safe but other teams results has me doubting again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

So the numbers aren't much different to what I thought but the surprise is that Burnley are the ones on 31 not Everton. Everton are very much the team in bother right now but they do have some winnable games coming up, if they are prepared to roll up their sleeves and fight. At this stage I think Jimmy is right, 36 points won't cut it. It's looking like 40 points might be needed to be safe so this may well go down to the last day. Obviously a loss tonight would be a disaster but I really think we should be going after the win as otherwise we could well be three points behind Burnley going into the Arsenal game (with a hopelessly inferior goal difference).

The pundits and bookies seem to think Palace and Villa are safe. If it's 40 points for safety are they both then in the mix? If we win tonight, and I'm more hopeful than confident about that then we're a point behind both. It'd also be three straight losses for Palace and Villa have one point from 15. The latter also have to play Burnley twice.

I think it's more of a case of them both just needing to scrape about 2/3 points which they will. We get three points tonight and we're in the same position and virtually home. I'd take a point but on the plus side they've had three games since we last played and they've lost all three.

Form just really means results, same with horses. Check your racecard next time and all you'll see are the nag's last few finishes. Leeds not playing brilliantly yet picking up points also has to be good, no? Last season and early in this one people were complaining about losing games after playing great football. Surely this is preferable?

It also means we can grind out results and have a few extra gears to go up. With returning players we're also likely to see some flair before the season ends, hopefully some this evening. Kalvin's presence takes the pressure off our attackers and allows them to do a lot more. Maybe Palace will be on the receiving end of that?

• Advertisement

Palace and Villa are safe. No way Everton gain 8 points on them.

I would take a point tonight, but I think its a must win. If we lose, the pressure on the next few games will be huge. I think Chelsea, we could sneak a draw. I reckon players get rested there for the cup final

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Agree with this.

On Friday when I was bored I tried to predict the points to be gained by each team in the mix.Probably tried to see it in a worst case scenario for us.

Burnley to pick up 9 - 11 Us 5 - 7 Everton 6 - 9 Villa 6 - 8 Palace 8 - 10.

Predicted the two results for Burnley and Everton over the weekend and a draw for us tonight.

On this basis,it's all up for grabs but Villa and Palace well safew.

Burnley and Everton pick up points at the upper end and us at the lower end we're in trouble.

Anyway, signing off now and on way to the airport with everything crossed for tonight.

MOT

If we get a win tonight are Everton making up 7 points on us?

People accuse me of being over-optimistic. Fair enough, you may all be right. However there's an abundance of pessimism on here and expecting us to only get 5-7 points from six games is another example. You may well be right but Forshaw is the only major player who's probably not going to be involved this season. Paddy and Tyler are improving and we thus have a near-total squad available.

We're in our best (points) form of the season and are taking on a few teams who are erratic or off-form or have played twenty more games than us. We're going to lose a couple but ten points is not a huge stretch given we're very capable of beating Palace, Brighton & Brentford plus picking up some points from the other three.

And enjoy the game tonight. Very envious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think that a win for Leeds tonight is vital because taking points from the following three games will be an achievement. The Man City game falling between the two legs of the tie against Real Madrid is fortunate because they are likely to rotate for the league game. I would expect City to win the game but not run up a silly score line which Leeds can't afford given their goal difference.

Losing to Palace and Man City would mean that Everton could be within striking distance of Leeds with a game in hand and a superior goal difference. Chelsea cannot be counted on to show up against Everton next weekend. The following week, Leicester travel to Roma for the second leg of the Europa Conference tie on Thursday May 5th before their game against Everton. I would think that Everton will face a much weakened Leicester side in that game so those 3 points are very much up for grabs.

If Leeds are 7 points ahead of Everton after tonight that is a psychological mountain for them to climb, if the gap is 4 points then it's a lot easier for them approaching the Chelsea and Leicester games.

Well they would have a game in hand there. But I'd be very confident that if we win tonight, we'll stay up. Not a guarantee but I think it would be a shock to go down at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Phillips returning to the midfield is a massive boost for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Dodgy... very very dodgy...

Sloppy passing, heavy touches. Not going to get much in front of goal they are comfortable at the back, don't fancy us scoring if we do get in front of goal.

Ball over the top is dangerous.

Is it just me or is Dallas's first touch Sunday League standard?

And he is letting Palace in behind him too much.

FFS Klich. Trying to be too clever. Nearly cost us a goal.

• Advertisement

Do I not like Zaha.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some very poor passing, and even stranger decisions from Llorente as to when to play the ball out. Zaha is one massive whinge merchant, he really never stops.

A better start to the 2nd half. Dan James again with the late tackle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is truly awful to watch. Hard to believe there are 22 Premier League footballers on that pitch.

Real bog standard lower table stuff.

Hopefully greenwood makes the same impact as recent games

We are looking a lot better since the start of the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

Dallas is having a shocker.

My heart

Jesus, what is Llorente thinking? And Cooper going back to his old days with the mistakes.

How on earth do people think we’ll take points off teams in the top 5.

Joffy on, Rodrigo off. No surprise, very ineffective tonight.

Phillips has been poor too

• Advertisement

Llorente starting to remind me of Roque Junior. Cooper looking very p!ssed off with players around him

Post edited by whiterebel on

Can’t watch this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

take a draw happily

Better than nothing. That Gallagher is some diver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement