Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They got an extra schools route (the 185T or something, From Enniskerry to the southern end of Bray) recently, so I doubt that those ones will be going anywhere any time soon. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I'm noticing a lot more private operators on school runs lately (actual school runs, as opposed to GAI's ones) than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I've seen that in Bray it's the same as a school route that was operated by DB I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,035 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dublin Bus still has AX buses in service in Summerhill.

The GAI buses (they aren’t on loan from DB, the NTA transferred them) will continue to operate on the various school routes that GAI have.

My bad I thought they had all been withdrawn now at this stage. I thought the AXs GAI have were only on loan to GAI as they were owned by DB not the NTA.

I'd imagine though they'd they'd be withdrawn soon enough anyway they are nearly 16 years old.

Bus Éireann operate buses on school services until they are 20 years old.

I don’t see any pressing need for GAI to withdraw these buses anytime soon, provided they are in good mechanical shape.

As I said they’re used on a number of school routes across the outer parts of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Considering that the N6 and W orbitals will lead to significantly more buses needed (around 30-40ish) and that Dublin Bus have already recieved most of their PAs and will also need more buses for the G-Spine, I wouldn’t be that surprised if these AXs actually entered service on Go-Ahead’s all-day routes. Of course, this is assuming that those electric semi-deckers are to be delivered at late Q3/early Q4 of this year, which I am quite unsure about. When they are delivered though, I can imagine Dublin Bus transferring some of their SGs to Go-Ahead to get rid of their AXs

Also, Dublin Bus still have some AXs in service, albeit at a meagre 19

EDIT: Only 10 left after Broadstone withdrawed most of theirs after I posted this

Post edited by DaBluBoi on

The N6 is just shortened version of the 17a so will probably need less PVR or similar if there is a frequency increase compared to the 17a. I doubt the NTA would want 16 year old buses operating on the new bus connects routes.

I'd say the NTA might just transfer more GT/SGs for the W4/6 as the PAs are more suited to cross city operation I believe and GAI have a fairly young fleet. So giving the PAs to DB would balance the average age of the fleet between the operators. Also in London most of the older stock is used on suburban routes whilst routes going into central London get the newest hybrid and electric buses.

There are still some more PAs due to be delivered later this year which will in all likelihood go to DB to facilitate a cascade of SGs to GAI for the W4 and W6.

The first batch of electric buses will go to Athlone, and the next batch will be for the O and N2 next year.

As I’ve said already, the GAI AXs are needed for the school routes.

There are only 10-15 PAs yet to enter service though, unless if the NTA ordered more than the initial order of 280 PAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The NTA ordered an extra 24 PAs (on top of the existing 280 ordered) to cover off the extra buses required for the W4/W6 tender.

• Advertisement

To clarify these are the schools routes that the GAI AXs operate:

33T (Donabate-Portrane & Skerries-Rush)

102A, 102C, 102P & 102T (Swords & Balgriffin-Portmarnock & Sutton)

185T (Enniskerry-Bray)

220T (Finglas-Collins Avenue)

236T (Tyrrelstown-Coolmine)

270T (Littlepace-Carpenterstown)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PAD85

Any update on the electric buses?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The NTA are going over to the ADL factory to inspect the single deck electric buses next week. The 11 buses for Athlone should arrive this summer and the 34 buses for Dublin should be delivered by the end of the year.

The double deck Wrightbus agreement hasn't been announced yet. They were chosen last year but I don't know when the contract was signed. A small initial batch should be delivered at the end of this year.

Wonder what will happen to the Streetlites currently used on the Athlone routes. 11 seems like a lot of buses for two routes.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What variants are the ADL single deckers for Athlone; are they coming with middle doors or without them? Also which factory is building the ADL single deckers is it Falkirk or Scarborough?

Scarborough, I think.

They should all be the same spec Enviro200EVs. Dual door, 27 seats plus six tip-up seats, big standing area.

If they are getting 11 buses it sounds like an additional route or uplift in frequency is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Whatever about another route or more frequency, they definitely need to extend the timetable to later in the evenings. Last service at 8pm is just silly.

The very thought of the NTA going to a bus factory to inspect buses sends a shiver up my spine. These are the people who spent millions of taxpayers' money on a load of Wright Streetlites without doing an ounce of research. If they had, they'd have been aware that they were shoddily-built deathtraps the day they rolled/creaked out of the factory. I hope they have the foresight to bring someone from Bus Éireann or Dublin Bus along with them this time.

• Advertisement

The Sunday Business Post was reporting on Easter Tuesday via a paywall that the NTA have agreed to purchase an initial order of 120 Wrightbus Electroliners. The purchase will be announced to the media within the next few weeks.

I am not subscribed to the Business Post so I am asking people here as to what other new details are contained in there regarding these buses.

I believe this is the bus that Dublin Bus has orders for:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Be interested to see the delivery timelines when the NTA make official announcement. They would want to get the finger out and get charging infrastructure into the depots.

Since Clontarf didn’t recieve any of the PAs, they might be the first to get the Wrights and the charging stations installed

The operators are responsible for installing chargers at their depots. Bus Éireann, being the first to receive electric buses, began procurement for electric chargers at their Athlone depot in May 2021. Dublin Bus went to tender in July 2021. Neither contract has been awarded. The buses were procured in less time.

I thought some of the garages already had chargers for the PAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I have serious doubts they'll have much space for any electric charging, considering they need an overflow car park for the night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Correct. Yes it's only for DB depots the information that came my way.

• Advertisement

No room in Clontarf to swing a cat, hard enough getting in and out at the moment, dont know how they will work the chargers.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am at a loss as in why is the NTA/TFI overseeing the purchase of busses and possibly dictating to DB &BE routes etc.

I've heard a few stories from lads I know in DB about NTA staff being clueless? One example was why is the double decker parked outside Dublin Castle rather than inside.

I have always wondered does the NTA have any actual people with real hands on experience,In running transport operations.

Nobody in any position of authority within the NTA has any experience whatsoever of running transport operations. From the top down, their ineptitude is nothing short of a disgrace. The waste is truly sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭donkey balls

That's obsolete madness but then again nothing new for this country, I've often receive e mails regarding jobs within the authority.

And the salaries are mad 100k plus jobs yet they have no one with actual experience. My background is in road transport and Aviation and we have a saying that the best people to run operations from the top down are the ones who have done it.

Wait so when considering the Electroliners, did the NTA consult Dublin Bus in any way before making the orders? I would've thought that DB would at least have some input, considering it would be them who would install the chargers for said Wrights in their depots and operate them, whereas the NTA would simply operate as a middleman

Having two different tenders - never mind two different buyers! - for the charging infrastructure and the buses themselves is a recipe for disaster. Warsaw's semi-state purchased a total of 160 electric buses so far (if I'm remembering my numbers right; 130 artics in one tender and 30 standard-lengths in three batches of 10), but they ran a separate tender to build and connect the terminus pantograph chargers. The result? Total miscoordination of bus deliveries and charger installations, meaning that buses delivered for months already were confined to peak-time workings under 80-90 km that could be done on a single charge from the depot... Not to mention that one of those batches of 10 has pantographs completely incompatible with the rest of the fleet. On the other hand, my homecity of Radom now operates 19 electric standards and just chose the manufacturer for a further 6 artics, and all three tenders involved in here were not only for the delivery of buses, but also of plug-in garage and overhead terminus chargers. Literally the only problems so far were with energy distribution and that's not fully within the Operator's purview at that point.

The problem is of course that the garage infra belongs to DB, yet the NTA are in charge of purchasing buses since 2012 now. Short of relegating the task one way or the other I don't see any way in which this isn't going to flop teets up.

• Advertisement

I can see Clontarf getting hand me down buses for the next few years, there honestly is no space to be charging buses there, that or if they get rid of a route or two to free up space. The amount of broken mirrors on a weekly basis is madness, the shunters do have a tough job though.

I was thinking if they could use the car park across the road from the garage for the chargers and charge the buses there when parked overnight. Are the new Wrights buses for Dublin or will they be spread around the country?

Its a disgrace Joe!

I'd imagine with the PA/PADs there'd be some for BE aswell probably for Cork to replace the 08 VWDs and maybe some single deckers aswell

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

Of the 45 single-decks, 11 are for Athlone and 34 are for Dublin. The agreement is for up to 200 buses so there likely will be more orders for other cities.

Of the 120 double-decks, 100 are for Dublin and 20 are for Cork (or was it Limerick? I forgot). The agreement is for to 800 buses.

I'd say Cork will get some as they haven't got any PADs yet I don't think they're even due any but I could be wrong.

I wonder will the NTA go for the new Wrights front like the VWDs or the old front like the SGs if that's even still possible. I read aswell that Wrightbus won't be bodying anymore Volvo products and instead will focus on their own integral products.

Hopefully the new electrics won't have the awful cab layout and steering arrangements like the Streetlites and Streetdecks.

The mock-ups have the new fronts like the VWDs.

• Advertisement

Is Waterford not due to get any new Battery Electric buses from Wrightbus from additional orders in the future?

I wonder will the NTA go for the new Wrights front like the VWDs or the old front like the SGs if that's even still possible. I read aswell that Wrightbus won't be bodying anymore Volvo products and instead will focus on their own integral products.

I'm almost positive that the 2020-21 deliveries of SGs and the last few 11500s were meant to be the very last of that front - Wrights have been extending their production specifically for that order, otherwise it's gone. (Shame, tbh, I personally prefer it to the "stealth" front seen in the newest VWDs.)

Yeah that's what I thought but I wasn't 100%. Personally I would have preferred if they went for the fully electric BYD version of the PAs or the new Volvo MCV bodied BZL. Maybe they will try switch over to the BZL once the first 120 of the Wrightbus order are delivered considering Volvo have the best after sales network in Ireland.

Translink recently put two types in to service, Hydrogen and electric versions. I presume our ones will be similar in design. Any feed back of said buses yet?

Its a disgrace Joe!

On the subject, hows the 3 hydrogen examples getting on with Bus Eireann? Bit of a pain that they have to be refueled in Bluebell or somewhere in that neck of the woods.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Wonder will they go for the cctv mirrors on those. Surprised they didn't for the PA/PADs removes the cost of constantly having to replace mirrors which is probably the most common bus accident.

I had a test drive in a Scania truck with the camera mirrors, im still 50/50 tbh. If they fail the bus has to be towed back. A lot of horror stories about them on google.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I believe they've recently been put back into service after a while off the road

It's great to hear all of the great talk out there about the NTA purchasing buses with newer technology to date. Although I may sound that I maybe rushing into things here; but are there any reasonable incentives out there for Irish commercial bus & coach operators at the moment to actually make attempts to purchase hybrid or electric buses for their own fleet in the future.

I haven't really heard anything substantial from commercial operators here about doing the exact same thing as the NTA when they buy new electric/hybrid buses on behalf of PSO operators yet.

I would assume that the demand for hybrid & electric buses within this country is a niche market at the moment. The costs for buying them are currently or will be currently a lot more expensive than buying a standard commuter/luxury coach that is supplied with a diesel engine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement