Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support an assumed liability rule in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

We could - I could also tell you about many occasions I nearly flipped a cyclist over the roof because he felt entitled to break a red light at a junction I had right of way on. Think we can all agree that everyone using the road needs to know how to use it safely but don't try get one up with random videos because cyclists as a whole are not saints either - lot of them on the road who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

same guy each time? odd, i have very, very rarely 'nearly flipped a cyclist over the roof'.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Green doesn’t Just mean go … it means Go if the way is clear.

Anything could be coming through the red, a Garda, ambulance, fire services, a vehicle with failed brakes.

Whether or not the cyclist broke the rules, they don’t need a licence, you do. You have a greater duty of care. It might be unfair but they’re the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you tried keeping count of this kind of incident?

You're right in that many cyclists aren't angels. Neither are they in control of a tonne or two of metal going at speeds of 20-150 kmph. It is a complete false equivalence to compare the dangers arising from non-angelic cyclists and the dangers arising from non-angelic motorists.

The idea that people need training to stop at red lights is slightly flawed too. Everyone on the road knows what red lights are for and how they work. Some cyclists make decisions to break lights, with generally a slight danger to themselves and no-one else. Many motorists make decisions to break lights, break speed limits, drive on the phone, with a very substantial danger arising to others.

We need some decent enforcement, and we need training especially for those drivers who haven't opened ROTR in living memory.

Sorry but red means stop - it doesn't mean "interpret the danger to yourself and keep going" it means stop where you **** are. Its attitudes like that which is exactly why cyclists should be required to learn the rules of the road, a fuckin law on to themselves

• Advertisement

You arguing with a point I simply did not make. I never said red doesn’t mean stop. I said green doesn’t mean go, it means go if safe to do so,

I’ll give DFB, the Gardaí and the ambulance a call. I’ll let them know to obey all lights if you (and I hope you never do) need to call them.

Can we take it that you NEVER break a speed limit?

What has a speed limit got to do with stopping for a red light?? And no I generally stick to the limits because a) I'm not a **** driver and b) my daughter is with me on most journeys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What is your point? A certain % of road users, regardless of vehicle run red lights. It is not all cyclists and it is not all motorists but it is a percentage of both. The limited number of studies done in Dublin seem to show more motorists than cyclists do it but if you go down that route, I could pick holes in the studies that make them pointless. What is your point is? Well it is beyond me. No one here is denying some cyclists break lights. Cyclists know the rules of the road, I knew red lights mean stop long before i passed my test, did you not? Did someone have to sit you down before you got your license and explain it. My child was told it in school but he knew it long before. As any parent will tell you, when driving with a young child, at a certain stage they love to point out red light breakers and shout go go go when the light goes green.

Your nonsense hyperbole is just that, nonsense. Red light running is illegal, it should not be tolerated, yet it happens every day in our major cities, and no one does anything. There is no junction on the N11 where I don't see several motorists running reds. I often see it in front of AGS with no response. I also see cyclists doing it, there are less cyclists so there are less cyclists running reds but typically its very low because most don't fancy death or disability as a side effect of the commute, while rarely one will be a complete muppet, the ones who do, typically slow to a crawl and roll through. Should they get in trouble, of course. Should it be a priority, well, and this is only an opinion, as a selfish twat, no because the only one they are statistically likely to hurt or kill is themselves. Should it be a priority for motorists, yes, because they are likely to hurt someone else if an accident occurs.

Weren't you the one talking about learning the rules? Is that just the rules that suit you? Speeding by motorists is one of top three causes of road deaths. Cyclists breaking red lights isn't one of the top 100 causes of road deaths.

Your 'generally' is doing a lot of work there. If you break the speed limit, you're really in now position to be jumping up and down about cyclists breaking red lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Do you always and with no exception obey the speed limit? And have always done since obtaining your license?

We need to know this before accepting any further input from you.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

ICYMI I'm not the one jumping up and down about cyclists breaking red lights.

It's an argument that you can make, but it can boomerang back.

Boomerang all you like, it doesn't change the facts.

I'm not actually having a go at someone for breaking speed limits.

I'm having a go at someone for making a big song and dance about cyclists breaking red lights while breaking speed limits.

See the difference?

Just as an aside, I lived in Ireland over 20 years and moved back to Germany a few years ago.

In Ireland I witnessed abandoning cars in the middle of the street to get a packet of fags and a lottery ticket, using the turning lane to overtake traffic going straight, entering a roundabout in the wrong lane to overtake traffic, overtaking huge lines of cars following a truck and pushing back in when oncoming traffic appeared, overtaking me from behind as I was turning from a side road to a main road, general speeding, red lights seen as advisory only and quite a few things more. These things don't happen every now and then, I'm talking multiple times a day, every day, completely normal occurances, nothing out of the ordinary.

Back in Germany I would always drive with an eye to the above, constantly expecting the worst and after a few weeks I noticed that nothing was happening. You can drive relaxed and within the rules and no-one will try to overtake you going through a completely blind bend or cut you off, or make erratic turns or race you from the lights to overtake you. It always seemed to me that to the Irish the rules are an obstacle to be overcome to get what you want, in most of mainland Europe the rules are there for the benefit of everyone, something to help people to live together and something that gives certainty.

PS: I don't mean this in an accusatory or judgemental way, it's just my observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I would 100% support it, but I would 100% support a simultaneous campaign, from the likes of the insurance federation or RSA, that every vehicle be fitted with a dashcam, to negate the risk of opportunistic scammers.

As an aside:

For the second time in as many months, I have just completed a formal damage assessment report on a customer's bike, for insurance purposes.

Wthout breaching any confidentiality, both cases had the following similarities:

Both riders were struck from behind, travelling up and over the vehicle that struck them.

Both were hospitalised with catastrophic (but thankfully not fatal) injuries.

Both drivers claimed at the scene ''I didn't see him/her/they as I was blinded by the low sun'' (one kept driving and only turned back after realising they had been spotted by onlookers!!). Now, if i remember my old Rules of the Road book from the eighties when I was learning to drive, it said ''Drivers should slow down or stop if they are dazzled or vision is impaired by oncoming headlights or low sun in wintertime. Fair enough, but surely you'd noticed the lad breaking your fu(king windscreen with his pelvis/head as he clatters over your car like a thrown rag doll??!!

Time and again, I hear the following on the news: ''Today a cyclist died on road XYZ, when they were in a collision with a motor vehicle''. Sorry, Eamon or Mary McNewsreader, your autocue is faulty...it should be reading ''Today a cyclist was killed by the driver of a van/car/bus/truck when they were hit by the motor vehicle.

Whatever happened to slowing down, expecting the unexpected (including cyclists flouting traffic rules), and assuming everyone else is a fu(king eejit (as my aul lad taught me, on my first ever driving lesson)??

Moral of both stories? Don't cycle west in Ireland on a clear day after 12 noon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PS: I don't mean this in an accusatory or judgemental way, it's just my observation.

i doubt you'll get too many people here who would disagree with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

It's interesting that it's only the Common Law (or heavily Common Law Influenced) jurisdictions that have not gone this route, which likely means there's an incompatibility with Common Law. It's not applicable in the UK, Ireland, Malta or Cyprus, all of which have either full Common Law or hybrid/derived systems.

There are very significant differences in Common Law and Civil Law (Civil Code) jurisdictions in both criminal and civil law particularly around assumptions like this.

Romania's likely to be an outlier for other reasons.

Ireland would also have an issue with absolutely massive civil payouts which could make something like this extremely problematic.

There are possibly other approaches to this in an Irish legal context, but I'm not sure you could just directly implement the system the same way as Germany or NL etc.

Only today I was out walking with my parents and my aunt and uncle. We had to cross the road at a point where the footpath suddenly ends on both sides and there are no cross button crossings whatsoever.

The cars speed like a bat out of hell on this stretch, on their own they’d never get across.

I had to assert my position and step out when the car was 100 metres down the road. Stood in the middle of the road and guided them out.

They deliberately sped up, jumped on the horn and swerved around us. My dad was standing there nearly genuflecting and “apologising”, my dad told me I was wrong, the car was on the road and he had right of way and we should have waited.

No amount of logic would change his mind. The road is for cars, pedestrians have to know their place, it didn’t matter that they were slow and more inform, the car was king.

When attitudes like that persist and pedestrians themselves think they have to submit to the mighty car we will never tip the balance.

This situation is obviously not cycling related but the principle is the same.

on the road i live on, the pedestrian lights stay green long enough for you to get not quite halfway across the road, if you're able to walk at a decent pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds admirable, but will never work here. There'd be war and it would get politicised, so no politicians wanting to get reelected would put together a bill to implement it. Given our overwhelming car dependency and resistance to adopt the concept of personal responsibility, very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Shocking incident, people aren't nearly as competent at driving a car as they think and in this example a moment of rage behind the wheel could have meant 5 people being brought to hospital with serious injuries or death and that driver spending many years locked up behind bars...all for nothing more than slowing down for a minute.....

I complained about a similar set near us and they adjusted it a few weeks back. The green sequence was unchanged as far as I can tell but the amber man is lit for a really long time now to the point where I'm of the mind to see if I can cross around this T junction and end up on the starting side of the road if you follow before I get a red man. Previously it was like your one you needed to be nimble enough to cross once before you got a red.

on the one beside us the amber light is lit for at least twice as long as the green. trying to get people to hurry up, no doubt.

I didn't think of it like that but now you mention it 😂

I was turning right off Carysfort Ave into Stillorgan Park today. The green filter light for bikes turned amber before I even got into the main 'car lane' part of the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I've cycled the length and breadth of Europe, probably close on 20,000 km. From the Atlantic coast of France to the Belarussian border and from Monaco to Helsinki. I've cycled round the back of the Airbus factory and past farmers using oxen to plough their fields.

With the possible exceptions of south-eastern England and the south of France, nowhere did I see the ignorant driving that is so common in this country.

It's never going to change. Not in our lifetimes. The hand of Time will have effaced our great-grandchildren's gravestones, and Irish drivers will still be boorish and ignorant.

On the subject of cyclists not having completed training or Not Paying Road Tax Joe*, most cyclists are also motorists, seems a lot of people lose sight of that. I have a bicycle, car, motorbike and a Roller, a small 50 km/h electric moped, so you can't really view people as only cyclists or motorists.

Also, in Germany you do some kind of cycling course in school where the set up a mini model of a town complete with lights, signs and zebra crossing so you don't get killed in traffic, is there such a thing in Ireland?

*Yes, I know it's not road tax. But keeping in mid that 99.999% of cyclists are also motorists I would argue that every km they are on their bike instead of their car, they are not only saving the planet, but cause far less wear on the road, so I see this as a good thing.

• Advertisement

Less ware and tear on their ❤️ And less strain on the hospitals too 🚲

Advertisement