Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve no idea if he can keep it up, but we saw peak Ronnie tonight. He doesn’t really play better than that, which means no one does.

Hes currently as good as long haired Ronnie and Bette than shaven headed Ronnie. Which is unreal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Steve Davis was suggesting Willo was playing at his peak too. We could be in for some competition yet heading into the second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When are Ronnie and Williams scheduled to meet?

(Haven't seen the draw)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How on earth have the BBC let things go so bad to have Rob Walker and Radzi as commentators.

Rob Walker annoys me with him trying to make snooker sound like a fast paced sport. It's not darts, it's not jump out of your seat, high octane stuff. His commentary is so annoying too, just reels off stats.

• Advertisement

Higgins, Williams and Ronnie are great but their continued success is more about desire for money more than anything I think.

Look at Shaun Murphy, more interested in being a commentator and it results in him winning nothing.

Youngsters nowadays are not going to spend all the time required inside in dark snooker halls playing 7 or 8 hours a day when they have tiktok and women to be chasing.

Ronnie, Higgins, Williams are all 47.

Robertson is 40. Selby is 38. They'll both be around in 6 or 7 years time winning things.

Barry Hawkins is still reaching major finals at 42.

Stuart Bingham is 46 next month and still a threat in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,719 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't realise chasing women was a new thing 😝

Murphy could still be a top player if he was prepared to put the effort in, but he's spotted his opening at the BBC and we'll be fast-forwarding him for the next 20-odd years.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Murphy is accepting his decline rather than giving up. The lads next is in a jock, he can’t put the practice hours in. He’ll retire soon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This whole cue thing is a major change in recent years. Maguire switching cues quicker than hairstyles. Ken being old school has the same cue for 40 years. Most players viewed a cue change as their worst nightmare.

Dropping from the 16 and having to go through the qualifiers has done Maguire no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I remember Alain Robidoux's career basically ended when his cue got smashed.

It always seemed a bit silly to me - i can't think of another sport where people would get so psychologically attached to one piece of equipment. A brand or make perhaps, but not an actual unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,214 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I hope Zhao beats Maguire. He's 12-9 down but has won 4 of the 5 frames this morning. He's a far better player than Maguire and I think he'd give O'Sullivan a much better match.

Maguire is in here now, could be curtains for Zhao.

Even as a club player I soon played with a cue that I liked and recognkised and I would feel a difference if I had to pick up a cue that was too heavy or too light. At pro level the effect must be huge for many players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Really poor stuff in Trump McGill so far....

Shredsville in frame 3 😃, tough brown as freeball,, McGill should have put Trump back, or play the red from where white ended up,, that was a mistake

mon Anto!

Another one for the highlight reel there,, Anto speaks to a chap in the crowd, and all ends well,,

Trump doing well to not be 4-0 down at interval,,

Mon Ant'nee!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've only half an eye on it, but Trump seems to have come out swinging after the mid session interval....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dale : “he’s always been lucky Judd Trump”. I’m inclined to agree

then McGill with horrendous luck.

A poor positional shot, when among the balls, cost Lisowski there,,, Robbo clears up,, 2 nil to the Aussie

What a cracking frame for Yan to win.

Selby smiling away to himself when the blue appeared to come to his rescue but that's a brilliant clearance of brown, blue and pink. Not the type of frame Selby loses. He has to win these 2 frames before the mid session interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone hear what Bingtao asked the ref there when lining up the brown?

• Advertisement

Great viewing the latter part of frame 18 on table one,, what a winning clearance by Yan there!! had comedy as well - asking the ref to clean cueball was mint 😂 took three minutes to go for the brown - and got it too!

hon Yan! 'Out-Selbyed Selby there' as commentator said 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great to see, two frames in a row now Selby looked favourite to win and let slip, nice to see him squirm a bit in his chair after that frame. He's close to the point of no return now, but, he won't give up until the bitter end, and looks in a good position to score heavily in this frame, could be a long night yet here.

Asked him to clean the cue ball hoping it might have repositioned it slightly so he could pass the blue!

Made some serious pots in that frame.

Yan 11-7 up now. 2 more. Selby needs to win 6-1 from here. Big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That's what I thought, it looked like he might have been joking, which I hope he was.

I was interested in Selby's miffed reaction, as a few years ago he asked a referee to do exactly that in an identical situation and he wasn't joking either. Ref refused to clean it.

that last frame by Yan was outstanding alright,, was well behind, and he had to take on a few 50-50 (or worse) pots just to stay in contention,,

and against Selby too,, one for the scrapbooks/almanacs that one,,

Selby responding well here tho,, could be a late one this tbs 🙂

Looks like 11-9 on the cards,, interval discuss should be good ☺️

They're talking about the blue ball shot on Eurosport...they're pretty much implying Yan was in the wrong and they're calling it gamesmanship and calling up twitter criticism.

No way they'd be highlighthing this if it was a british player. Yan was smiling when he said it, not sure if he was really joking but if it was a Brit, they'd say it was a joke.

• Advertisement

"Mark was miffed" ,, and he did the exact thing himself before , as mentioned upthread 😊

Selby apparently is exempt from criticism

Advertisement