Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah is always saying '' it's not about the money at all, I can't tell you exactly''

It was claimed he wanted assurances we'd be competitive, invest in future, how stupid is that considering we've won it all, and continue to challenge, I can't understand that argument.

If he leaves it will only be down hill, go play in the French league, walk to the title every season in a team you'll just be a number in.

City out to wipe out the GD today.

Will need to stick 19 in against Everton 😂

Tell me better owners in the league. Tell me where you expect money to come from? It'll be a loan. The owners aren't a charity. It always amuses me why people expect football clubs to be run different to other businesses. Invent money from thin air, it's fairytale stuff.

The staff on furlough and super league were mistakes,and recognised as such.

Since they've come in the stadium has been transformed, they've hired Klopp, and subsequently we've won another CL and the coveted league title, as well as other silverware.

In the mix for everything this season also. Some fans are never happy I guess, and are probably hoping for a dig out from the Saudis...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The sequence of results for both City and Liverpool to finish level on points is highly unlikely, if it somehow happens we are highly likely to stay ahead on GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The GD makes absolutely no difference to the outcome of this league unless both teams drop points. They'd have to lose one while we'd have to draw one. Us drawing with spurs you could see. Them losing, no chance. The most I'm hoping for with them is a draw somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement

Correct. These owners have brought us from the brink of extinction to the brink of immortality, achieved things we wouldn't have dared dream of a few short years ago. And yet some will still moan. The mind boggles.

Yeah let's spend and be reckless to try keep up cos nation states have distorted the game beyond all comprehension. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You haven't explained where I'm incorrect yet. You're making random strawman arguments against things I haven't said.

I never said there are not any better owners in the league (I do like Matthew Benham and Tony Bloom though), never said the stadium hadn't been transformed or that Klopp wasn't a great hire or that the team are not in the mix for everything this year.

I said that I'm not happy that two of the best players in the team and in the history of the club haven't been signed up to new contracts yet. I'm a bit amazed that some fans are happy enough with that situation and that they'd be ok with selling either of them this summer. My argument was I want FSG to put their hands deeper in their pockets and take slightly less profit off what has been an amazing investment for them. They've won the lottery by buying Liverpool, I want them to put a bit more of their massive, massive profit back into the club. You seem to prefer that John Henry, Werner, LeBron James, Jimmy Iovine and co have a few more zeros on their bank accounts.

"Hoping for a dig out from the Saudis" 😂. Did you get that from my posts? While I do think that top-level football is totally morally bankrupt, I don't think I could watch Liverpool if they were bought by the Saudis or some other entity interested only in sports-washing.

You say they can afford to pay Salah and Mane what they want... and Bobby and VVD etc. and the next three signings?

Putting a value on a club is meaningless unless they actually sell it.

FSG are vultures in the same way as any business owners. Most football fans would love to have FSG as owners.

Some fans have a 'spend whatever it takes, I don't care' attitude, but that's a recipe for disaster.

As good as Salah is I don't think they should pay him in a month what some earn in a life time. Some in Egypt won't earn in a lifetime what he earns in a week.

I thought I had..

Where do you expect the owners to get the money? Dig into their pockets as you put it? That's called a loan and more debt. Unless you are looking for a charity hand out from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The same owners that would only sanction kabak on loan and Davies for 1m when we were utterly depleted with injuries or the same owners who attempted to bypass klopp, players and fans and sign us up to super league. These are owners are business men and their investment is purely to appreciate the value of their asset.

Klopps net spend over 5 years in 92m. We literally have had to sell to buy and it’s a tribute to klopps immense management and edwards transfer genius that have drove our success. To attribute the change of fortune and success to the owners is absolute madness.

• Advertisement

Yes those same owners who employed Klopp in the first place and all the lads whose transfer successes have been been integral to us becoming what we are. They've made mistakes sure, but to seperate them out from the successes as If they had nothing to do with them is ridiculous.

Really? Of course a loan. How else can owners inject money into a club? You better get some champagne on ice for when the next financial results come out. Might be a quintuple year if Liverpool win the net spend or profitability leagues. I'd rather Salah and Mane stayed so I can watch them score goals for Liverpool for a few more years.

Lol, yes let's load more debt on to the club. Ffs.

Btw, I think you just invented an argument in your head. I don't think anyone said they'd not like to see Salah and Mané score more goals for Liverpool for many years.

Taking on more debt, if needed, especially interest-free, really wouldn't be a problem for Liverpool to service.

Invented an argument? You literally said you don't want to "jeopardise the wage structure for Salah". I disagreed. That's literally the discussion we've had. You'd prefer to see a better balance sheet and more cash for FSG to invest in whatever asset they fancy than seeing Mo Salah running down the wing for a few more years. Strange preference imo. Anyway, we've done this to death and it's fairly tedious having to remind you what you just said so I'm leaving it there.

Quick question, at what level of payment per week would you go to to keep Salah if he kept raising his asking price?

More cash for FSG to invest elsewhere 😂. Tell me you haven't the first clue about how the club is run without telling me you haven't the first clue about how it's run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The money to salah is only the start, every player will look for a big raise, the club will suffer long term, think Messi /Barcelona

Ah yeah, I'm fully on board with how well the club has kept the player salaries in check (relatively speaking).

But, we don't even have to look at Spain. See what MU are paying to their players, the likes of Pogba feigning injury and still getting paid obscene amounts of money.

We don't want that setting in at our club.

That’s up to the club to manage those expectations of other players. I’d rather any players deluded enough to think they are contributing as much as Salah leave the club thinking they deserve 400-500k than let Salah leave for fear of knock on impact. He’s rarely injured and absolutely deserves parity as one of world best goal scorers season after season.

The message it sends to other current and prospective players is shocking also . That no matter how good you get at Liverpool and even if you become one of best goal scorers the club has ever seen in the premiership you’ll never get near a superstar salary at Liverpool. We’ll always be a stepping stone rather than the top.

We are now winning trophies, massively improving commercial revenues in recent years with much higher matchday revenues also. It’s time to pay the best to keep them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever money Salah gets Fab deserves the same as does Ali as does VVD as does TAA as does Robbo.

• Advertisement

'It’s time to pay the best to keep them.'

And that's where it starts to fail.

Do you really think a player will have a better life materially if he's paid 500,000 pounds per week rather than 250,000 pounds per week?

But, being a legend, adored by fans, winning trophies is worth so much more. City would pay Salah what he wants and more tomorrow, why hasn't he gone to a club that can't fill their Wembley allocation.

Nope. Putting the ball in the net is the hardest part of football and most valuable ability. Salah is one of the best at it. The others are valuable players but to suggest parity is ridiculous.

Fab is the most important signing the club made and without Fab Liverpool do not tick.

Jota has 20+ goals this season he deserves the same money as Salah now.

TAA & Robbo are smashing records on assists they deserve the same money as Salah who wouldn't get his goals without them.

Ali is the best keeper in the world he deserves the same money as Salah for keeping the goals out.

VVD is VVD he deserves the same money as Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jumping into debt to satisfy wage inflation is a really really bad idea. There's no such thing as 'we just need this loan for this one wage', as obviously then you've started a wage expectation that is unsustainable by the business itself, without further loans.

As it stands, the club has been run well enough that it supports itself, while being in the running for every trophy available. That's unbelievable.

It's also a pointless complaint that an owner doesn't plow in their own cash just because we'd like that as fans. We're in a bloody brilliant position that they've never taken money out of the club, despite their right to do so! It's been run incredibly well as a self-sustaining business, which is exactly the way I want it run anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes I'm sure TAA, Robertson, Fab, VVD will just accepted that argument alright. The reality is if we give Salah 500k a week there is not a hope that is going to go down well with the rest of the squad. You put a massive risk on the harmony that is there in the squad...

Exactly. Not to mention new signings that come in. It's common sense tbh.

Have a quick look at Utd and their ridiculous wage structure, and how not to run a football club. Go down a similar route and we'd have mediocre players on huge contracts that can't be shifted. **** that.

Why is new debt required to keep Salah anyway? Ox will likely be off the books soon. There's 120k a week. Divock too, he's on 60k. Sell a few squad or youth players. Do what it takes.

Some of you seem to think it unusual that the best attacking players at clubs get paid far more than players in other positions. But that is and has pretty much always been absolutely standard. VVD is an exception. Laporte and Dias are on less than half of what De Bruyne takes home. Attacking talent makes the big money because it's harder to do and rarer to find. Defenders, CDMs and fullbacks are usually easier to find similar replacements for than top-level attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If Salah was genuinely asking for 500k and willing to leave, how many teams could afford to pay him that?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I wish what you said what enough for players - being heroes to fans , trophies etc but reality is we have lost our top players time and again over the years like Suarez, Torres & Coutinho for larger salaries albeit the club wasnt challenging like it is now. It’s just not realistic to say a top player should be happy with 250k when other elite players in world football are on 350-450k a week. Liverpool icon or not players are going to leave if they can get double their salary all day long.

it’s as much greed as it is a ego/prestige of being one of highest paid in the world. I get the major dilemma it presents with VVD, Mane, Robbie, Ali but if we lose Salah in the summer and city sign haaland It will be massive step back losing a 30 goal striker almost every season.

• Advertisement

City who can spend £100m on a squad player and pay him 400k a week or them spending anywhere between £300m to £500m on Haaland over the course of his contract from transfer fees agent fees his fathers fees his wages and whatever shell companies they set up in UAE to pay him under the table is unmatchable and we should not even try to match that craziness or the longterm future of the club will be put in jeopardy.

You're just not getting the point, or understanding it at all.

If Salah is on 500k a week and next season has a poor season by his standards and scores 15. Mané and Diaz hit 30 goal apiece,and want to negotiate new contracts. Would they be happy being paid 20-30% of Salah,or would you bump them up to 500k a week to?

In an ideal world we pay them whatever they want, eg City (Grealish on 300k a week, lol), but that's fantasy, or fifa 2022 😁

Salah is probably at his peak now. I love the guy, but not a hope in hell he'll be banging in 30 goals a season when he's 34/35. Surely you can understand this business conundrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't understand this, the owners made a mistake with the Super League but that is the only way we compete with the likes of City and PSG and Newcastle in terms of finances. To compete with those nations you need more revenue. If you do it organically it will take time. But it seems like some want the club to spend like they are City now.

As for your numbers, where do you get that from? According to Transfermarkt this has been Klopp's spending,

16/17 - Spent 79.9m euro - Sold - 85.38m

17/18 - Spent 173.88m - sold 184.5m

18/19 - Spent 182.2m - sold 41.32m

19/20 - Spent 10.4m - sold 44.50m

20/21 - Spent 82.6m - Sold 17.2m

21/22 - Spent 85m - Sold 27.5m

Total spend 613.98m - Total recouped - 400.4m - Net Spend 213.58m

Not great when you try to prove a point and it seems like you have the incorrect figures. I am open to be corrected though.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

You hit the nail on the head, on paper the club is worth £3b. This doesn't mean the owners have the money they have grown the club by in their accounts to spend. Any finances are either coming out of their own pockets, not going to happen unless you are the leader of a country or you have stolen the money from the country you come from, or a loan. Those 2 cowboys almost bankrupted us with loans so I don't think you will find many fans hoping for this as a solution to keep up with the Jones's. Those are the only clubs that have not been worried about making their own money. We are on the way to be in the position of United, but it is going to take time to get their.

As for paying Mane and Salah, I will give you an example of what will happen if you don't have a strict wage structure. Barcelona, they had the best ever (arguably) and paid him what he was worth at the time. They then had to pay the next best in their team more because unsurprisingly footballers take these type of things personally and if one player gets a lot more than the others they will want more. That meant they had to pay the next in line more and it meant anyone moving there started their wage negotiations at a high level.

It doesn't seem like you have thought this through. We cannot just pay any player what they want. Our wage bill is already one of the highest in the world. If we don't win and we have a high wage bill we will spiral into mediocrity. And let us not forget, for all the mistakes FSG has made, they have only ever said the club will spend the money it makes. They will not take money out of the club. They have put money in, but not the your and others liking. If you really want to live in a fantasy football world where financial prudence is not part of reality, maybe it is time to support Newcastle if you cannot stomach supporting City.

League Cup in the bag.

FA cup final to come.

CL semi final to come.

In with a fighting chance of the league with 6 games to go.

As boring as the argument about owners and investment is, not to mention weird as fück given we're one of the two best teams in the world and some are never happy, we can all agree we've nothing to fear about that Spurs game.

6 wins from 6 is what we should be expecting. Then it's up to City's opponents. Hopefully the league record after this season will be 3-2 rather than 4-1.

I understand perfectly. If you want to keep the best players in the world in your team and they're coming to the end of their contract, you pay them the market rate. If not, you wave them goodbye. It's real simple.

Barcelona and Utd are fantastic examples of how to make a balls of managing the rest of the squad's salary but it's not a given that if Salah is paid what the market values him at that the rest of the squad get an instant bump too. Increases may come over time but most of the other key players are on recently signed, longer-term deals to 2025 and beyond. If VVD gets to 2025 and can still make a case for 400k a week, that would be brilliant.

• Advertisement

A signing on fee, and a slight improved salary would work out the same as a deal now at 500k a week, that's if the salary thing is a real issue for the club.

We have no trouble spending millions and giving it to other clubs to sign players, so why not give it to Salah, while keeping his wage within budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Has salah been offered 500k for a 5 year contract elsewhere? Usually to get a good market value for anything you need two or more people competing for it.

We couldn’t even if we wanted and I think that’s where the frustration lies. PSG, Chelsea and CIty 3 of the 4 semi finalist of CL last season. All driven by insane oil money spending - Newcastle were relegated before Xmas and now likely finish just outside UEFA cup spots after 90m spend during Xmas again Oil money

If city pip us to league and beat us in CL Final. Been a well run club witha strong balance sheet is little to no consolation. I’m not saying sell our soul but not paying salah out of fear of others seeking same I just don’t agree with .

You are discounting that during the negotiations with VVD and the others that they were told that their new contracts are constrained by the same salary structure that is stopping us from paying Salah 500K per week. How would you feel if you are negotiating a new pay packet and your work tells you that they do not pay outrages sums which you accept, only to do exactly that a few months later?

I think it is clear looking at United that harmony in the changeroom is just as important to success. It would be detrimental to us to have some in our squad briefing journalists because they are peeved about their own pay and what was told to them during the negotiations.

Anyone who recently negotiated a deal may have been savvy enough to add a clause that they have to be on par or within a certain percentage of the highest earner. Salah becomes that and who knows what happens. Pointless saying just give him whatever when none of us know the knock ons to that.

The club do, they have their position, the best Manager the club has had in decades is fully on board with that position so I'm all good with that. If nothing else these owners and the staff they hired have proved they know what they're doing. Despite the odd misstep.

Go read the United thread if you think our owners are sh!t

• Advertisement

Chelsea will not be repeating their spending and there will be a fall for them in the short to medium term. Their financials are not sustainable at the moment because their prospective owners will not be throwing away £1.5b of their own money over the next 19 years. But with Chelsea departing the spending big boys, Newcastle comes in. But we know it is not just about throwing money at it, otherwise United would have been fighting City for titles instead of us, and I don't think it is certain they will have the smarts to build a dynasty team. I mean they are the guys that thought it smart to cut up a journalist in their own embassy.

But City will be here for the long term and in Europe so will PSG. We have to be smarter than those clubs, it will not always work, but that is how we are going to compete. I trust those who got us here more than some who are complaining about spending without seemingly thinking it through.

You're privy to what's said in contract negotiations? I'd be fairly confident that every single agent tells the club that they don't give a sh1t about a salary structure and pitches to cut the best deal for their client based on other club's interest and market values. The idea of hurt feelings over footballers' contract negotiations seems a bit quaint. It's a cut-throat business.

With the CL money, TV money, and full stadiums the money is gushing in. Plus the shirt sponsor deal is coming to an end, that will be renewed at a much higher rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

He’d need be within the last 6 months of his contract in order to negoatiate with anyone. Salah still has 14 or so months left so he wouldn’t have any offers on the table as of yet! Well none within laws of the game anyway!

The shirt deal was only resigned last season was it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No one on here actually knows what the situation is regarding Salah's contract only rumoured speculation, we don't know for example how far apart or close the club and Salah are to agreeing a deal. Salah is well entitled to ask for market rates and Liverpool are well within entitled to refuse that, both sides have to try to get the best deal for themselves, that might mean a deal is impossible, in that case Salah leaves, it's then up to the club to decide if it's better for the club overall to let him run down his contract or sell in the summer. It's a tricky situation and there may well be no winners.

Likewise- I don’t take much stock in your speculative comments around City, Chelsea or Newcastle prospects and this Bizarre take that by paying Salah what we suddenly become soulless oil club or broken financial ruin like Barcelona.

we have best squad in the league in my opinion , let’s not weaken it but losing star striker. I hope he’ll sign but my gut is the club won’t meet his demands and we’ll lose him.

We are where we are due to the club being run well.

I think that point is being lost on some.

There's plenty of other clubs with more money, but who are not operating efficiently. Maybe, just maybe we are going about things the right way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

This is why i hope we never have full fan ownership. There will always be someone running for chairman election saying they'll pay Salah what he wants and keep adding in the loans based on that mandate.

FSG system isn't perfect but it's the best in world football. The club is highly successful and protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Contract with standard chartered is up at the end of next season

• Advertisement
Advertisement