Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok I had a look at it under a microscope.

Looks like it says M4 100 6v?

Would that make sense?

I have a 16v 100uf through hole cap here, if the 100 on your cap refers to microfarrad value then this one here would be fine (voltage rating is allowable to differ, provided its a higher one your fitting, not lower).

Double check the values though, dont fit anything without being sure it's OK. Let me know if this is any use to you

I really do wish that I could find a board schematic...

Anybody else here have a Tekken Tag board that they could check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Based on the symptoms first thing I’d check is the volume pot, the carbon might be worn out and only making good contact at the extreme ends. If you can track down the schematic it’ll really help, if you can identify the preamp and power amp stages they can be tested separately to narrow down the problem area.

• Advertisement

Ahh you absolute legend thank you so much!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Cheers ! Only saw this now

I'd picked up an older system on friday with a similar issue , and a lit of contact cleaner on the slider/pots seemed to fix it ,so will definitely give this a try and report back

Good news! Managed to solder the cap back onto the PCB and... Looks like I was worried about nothing! Board works fine! 🙂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Took me a while but I have it down , probably wont be free until next week , but PM me and I can arrange picking it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Spent all weekend fixing up my arcade and pinballs, almost there with them now, but still a ways to go yet on my house of the dead and I have a atomiswave I want to strip

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ccdcjggo7Jv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

You win some, you lose some re repairs. I bought a Game Gear on eBay a while back, usual fare, faulty, sold as seen. Received it, and sure enough, screen was very dim and no sound. Relatively straight forward repair....new cap kit, and that should be it.

I ordered a cap kit (should have thought more about this and not cheaped out), and when it arrived, it was all radial caps...crap, I remember doing this a few years ago and it's awkward to fit them in place of the old ones as they're quite a bit bigger. Did it today...

Relatively decent job on it, considering. It's a pain bending the legs to fit, and placing the caps in places they're not meant to be due to their size. Anyway, job done, took my time, few hours....put it back together, lovely crisp sound which was great....black screen however. No signs of screen life whatsoever, despite the game happily running away regardless.

Queue another hour fault finding, reflowing solder, triple checking cap values, triple checking orientation of caps, same goes for sound board and power board (all recapped today too), different batteries, using a psu....nothing. Half the day wasted, f%#k 🤬. It has to be a dodgy cap somewhere, so I'm going to just order a decent more suited cap kit, and do it all again!

Random one, picked up two Sinclair ZX Printers for the ZX81/Spectrum! Both needed new belts but only one came with the two spring/needle - thanks to the seller for pointing out he had kept them safe as I had no idea about how the printers worked until I got them home and started to research them and take them apart.

Belts are now 3D print flexible filament types. One printer now works, the other doesn't have any spring/needles so will remain something to look at.

I've never heard of 'spark printing' until now - learning something new each day

Sometimes OCD has its benefits....

I said I'd prep the mainboard today by removing all the caps, braiding all the pads clean, Ipa the board, have it ready for new caps. I ended up going over everything again, and gave the board one last look over. I found I could see an unlit image on the screen, so it was a back-light problem. Found some schematics, and tested the two radial fuses each side of the screen.

One was blown, no continuity on the multimeter. I didn't bother checking these yesterday because the screen initially did work when I received it, and then didn't after recapping...so all my efforts were on checking/re-doing the caps. Anyway, I bypassed the blown fuse with a jumper wire (hardly ideal, but this is destined for a screen mod down the line anyway), and voila, a beautiful (horrendous) 90s lcd image sprung to life!

I'll still buy a new ceramic cap kit, as I don't like the pressure needed to properly close the case currently, and then screen mod/case mod it too eventually.

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent desk light for repair work? I'm currently using an ancient halogen lamp here, the light is decent from it, but it kicks out a bit of heat - and when combined with heat from soldering/desoldering equipment, plus fumes from flux etc...it gets a bit uncomfortable!

A nice led desk lamp seems to be needed, but there's tons listed on Amazon with all manner of differing reviews...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’ve borrowed this from my brother in law to help with my crappy eyesight as I work on finer pitch components.

LED lighting, USB powered, magnification and it looks like a sentinel from The Matrix with all the clamps

Its pretty bright even with a 1amp power supply.

I think I’ll get something Without the clamps in the long term.

Very nice, any info on where the buy one/price/model etc?

Sorry, I meant to add to the post, he got it on Amazon, I’ll ask him to send me the product link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks like this

ENJOHOS Helping Hand Magnifying Glass Third Hand Clamp Tool Magnifier Glasses with USB 5 Flexible Metal Arms are Easy to Position Rotating Stainless Steel Clamps https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P6WGHCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FXZ2CAHRRVGNMX4H61W2

I bought a faulty Mega CD recently. Sold as not powering on, so I took a chance. A simple reseat of the internal ribbon connector and it sprung to life (the second such issue I've seen with one of these recently).

There was noticeable cap leakage on both the main board and power board though, so I ordered a kit for each board and got stuck in today.

Got it all done, pads all cleaned down, ipa'd the leakage spots, and gave it a good clean down at the end. I popped a disc in to check, and I now have a fully working and recapped Mega CD that reads discs.

Bonus - one of the free Megadrives I picked up recently is a non-TMSS "high definition graphics" model too, couldn't believe it when I tested it. Yus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Glad to hear it was useful. I may have some more stuff soon. All my things are coming out of storage and at the moment I'm losing the battle with my wife.

I'm no longer in Dublin though. If I do I'll drop you a line to give advance warning before I put anything up on the marketplace.

I have more stuff than I remembered, but it seems my wife never forgot.

Today I turned on the Atomiswave SD cab I had in work after about 2 years, screen turned on but very very dim. Cap kit fun or something else I wonder. Will prob need to make space at home and lump it back to be able to work on it. Sad times.

Does the monitor have a remote adjustment board ? A dodgy connection there or bad pot will give you the same symptoms.

The Atomiswave have a remote board indeed thats shared with the service/test button area - good idea, will have check any cabling with that first as when I tried to adjust there nothing happened (though, I didn't touch the V/H size etc.)

Update - checked remote board, cable seemed fine - think I will really need to get it home to test the pots. I can up the screen on the flyback but that isn't the best thing to do and from a quick check it made it slightly better but not awesome. Now to figure out how the hell to move it :D

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Urgh , my astro is also showing some pot issues since rotating, shouldn't have touched it, ahhh arcade machines.

Know the feeling, young fella had a birthday party in the house yesterday so a bunch of 6-7 year olds beating on my Naomi for a few hours, now audio amp is knackered and couple of dodgy buttons :(

• Advertisement

Sanity check here guys, an Amiga 500 cap kit I received had these two caps. The original one is rated for higher voltage, and the seller is telling me these lower rated ones are OK to use....seems odd?

The original is a 10uf 50v, and the ones in the kit are 10uf 35v

Advertisement