Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

ecars put 5x dual socket 22kW AC charge points in Pavillions in Swords - they should have done the same in Blanch or more even. Stick the DC charge points in a garage outside (but near enough) to the centre. The ones in Swords are very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Meanwhile north of the wall...

The only 50kW in Derry has now been functioning at half power for well over a year. To add to the problems, the head of the AC43 has been smashed and is out of action. That used to be a useful backup while you wanted for the blue Mustang or one of the regular Audis to finish their 4 hour spells on the CCS.

The 2 busiest 22kw posts in town also broken for probably 2 years+.

Had the misfortune of going to Portrush the other day. Rapid is dead, 1 out of the 2 x 22kW posts out of service.

It's way beyond disgraceful in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

In regard to County Galway - does anyone know of any chargers in the Maam Cross, Oughterard, Moycullen direction?

This area seems to be black hole when it comes to chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

We are heading for a day trip to Croagh Patrick from Kildare/Dublin border. It's the first trip in ages without a possibility for a Supercharger. I'm scared. Hope we'll make it back before the work starts tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You’ve got either Galway Plaza (2 CCS) or Tuam (4 CCS) so you’ll be grand.

Dublin - Galway is the best served route in the country, and Galway up to Mayo isn’t terrible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

There are 6 chargers in the Delphi resort which is on the road from Louisburgh to Leenane if you are going that way. 22kw AC so not fast chargers but a handy option if you’re in need of a top up. You’ll need the ePower EV app to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does anyone know if any of the ESB chargers support 800V charging? If you plug in something like an EV6 will you pay a penalty because it has to convert the voltage?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Thanks, was easy after all. Got there with 49% of battery remaining and then it was a matter of 1hr at AC socket of the Westport DC charger while having a dinner.

Had the AC plan not worked out I was planning to try to hit the 150 kW unit at Ballinalack on the way back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's ridiculous outside of the Christmas period, maybe your one of those rare people who enjoys spending their time in petrol stations, I'm not. I want to be charging my car in an area that has actual useful amenities. Not all chargers need to be at soulless stations on the side of dual carriageways. The market needs to serve multiple types of customer Blanch is clearly sighted at a location with high desire, if it wasn't it wouldn't be so busy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Realistically the Blanch provision should be 10 50kW chargers to serve as a profitable charging hub, if the centre want to incentivise longer stays then they should install many 7kW/22kW charger in the other car parks themselves. Blanch is a perfect location for a district charging hub, it's just rubbish as a mid journey charging stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Right.

So Blanch having a 150kw charger planted in the middle of probably the busiest shopping centre in Ireland is a good idea?

Realistically how much of these "amenities" are you going to be using while your car charges on this charger?

150kw chargers "should" be in petrol stations on main arterial routes, not stuck in suburban shopping centre car parks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is going around in circles, is a 150kW charger a good thing, yes, is it in the best position (for now), no

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Truth be told 150kW or more should be everywhere, the difference should be in how the load is split

For example if they used just those 200kW units like in Frankfield, the load could be split 2 ways for motorway services and 4 ways for places like blanch. AFAIK those units can have up to 4 plugs active at once

Best of both worlds IMO, you potentially have high powered charging wherever you go, service stations get a guaranteed 100kW minimum (and maybe a higher price for the privilege) and you get lots of available charging in a busy location like blanch with a minimum of 50kW

Of course you'd need a proper layout to ensure all the plugs can be used at once 😁

That's my point!!

Great to have this charger but common sense should have prevailed when choosing the location.

Clearly it's a good idea, it's getting a lot of use. I've regularly used the charger in Blanch, yes I can use the amenities whilst the car is charging, good options are Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King and Starbucks. Also pretty decent if you just need to pop into Boots or Eason's. Pretty much all the cars on the market are still taking at least 30 mins to get to 80% on a 150kW CCS charger. That's plenty of time to do what's needed.

You should go somewhere else if you prefer to sit in a service station at the side of a dual carriageway and stop spiting those want to charge in a nicer location because your using it as a mid journey charger instead of a district hub.

It's been indicated that the Maxol garage in Ballycoolin will get a charging hub, you can go use that one when it's built instead of trying to downgrade the charging experience for people who need it in D15.

Cool story. Hopefully the petrol station in the M3 gets the charger sooner rather than later. It'll save drivers the hassle of trying to get off the main route and into the shopping centre car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

If its not in Blanchardstown then you will have people driving to your choice of location and that then becomes a busy spot, it does not bother me in the slightest where Ecars put chargers, if its convenient and I am spending time there, I will charge.

I would prefer they put chargers in places that I would frequent like Blanchardstown, I try to avoid motorway services unless I need a cup of tea or I need to get rid of tea, then its nice to have a charger, either way I am not depending on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't think anyone is against having these chargers in Blanchardstown where they are, but I think the issue is there are probably a lot lot more sites that should have had more/better units installed before Blanch was pulled out of the hat (and yes, along motorways like Castlebellingham or Enfield etc...)

2x 50kW units would have sufficed here instead of the 150kW + 50kW configuration.

then, a bank of 5 or 10 twin plug AC22's for those who'll be there for 2-3 hours+ (which in fairness Blanchardstown already has, though they'd want a bank of these AC chargers in all of teh Blanch carparks)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I feel if Blanch had a bank of 10 HPC, it would still be a bad location for HPC. It's awful to get in and out of, and a big waste of time for anyone on a motorway run.

HPC + shopping centre + 45 minute overstay just doesn't work. There's far too much to busy yourself with in Blanch with for a 45 minute stop, and 45 minutes on a HPC would add loads of range to any car. Ecars probably love it though. Lots of traffic going through there, and lots of reasons to overstay.

• Advertisement

I think you've hit the key point, there's a difference between needing to charge, and charging when it's easy and convenient, and this needs to be reflected in the charging facilities installed

If I'm travelling a long trip, I'm fine with stopping into a service station for 15-25 mins to charge and grab a coffee. But getting stuck in traffic or a massive charging queue is not okay. So service stations should be prioritised for HPCs and there should be a higher level of guarunteed power available

If I'm grazing for a charger (maybe I don't have a home charger) then I'm probably happier to stop for an hour or 2 and integrate the charging into my weekly shopping. Businesses are starting to realise that having convenient chargers is a pull for customers and I'd say Blanch is ahead of the curve in providing DC chargers

22kW AC is nice but realistically for most cars it's 3-4 hours to get a useful amount of energy into the battery. Great for the cinema but not so great for anyone else

But I do think the layout of the ESB "hub" in Blanch is extremely poorly thought out. Beyond the obvious 3 spces for 4 plugs issue, the chargers are too easy to be blocked given their proximity to the shops

I still think the ideal setup is 2 of those 200kW Delta units in the middle of 4 spaces which can charge 4 cars at once (say 4x CCS and 2x Chademo each, keeps everyone happy) and no overstay up to 90 mins. If I park up and one of the units is free, then I plug in and get up to 200kW. If another car plugs in while I'm shopping, I'm still getting 100kW. If 4 cars are plugged in, I'm still getting 50kW and after 90 mins I've got at least 75kWh which means most cars are full. Once the car is full, the other cars are getting more power and I'm probably done my shopping by then and am unplugging

You've hit it on the head @the_amazing_raisin, there are two circumstances where people need to charge, mid journey on their way to somewhere else where a service station is fine, or you need to charge because you are away from home or don't have the ability to charge at home.

I've recently to moved to a new build apartment complex, they are going to install chargers but for the moment I'm having to do what I can. There aren't many places I go that I spend enough time at to make public AC charging work for me. For the moment I'm relying on getting a DC charge. I'd much rather spend the 30 mins at Blanch where I can have a Starbucks coffee and pick up something at a pharmacy than spend the time parked in a petrol station.

I don't spend half my time complaining that the chargers on the motorway are an absolute waste because they don't serve my current need. People have different use cases, just because a given site doesn't suit yours doesn't mean it's a bad idea. eCars need to install hubs at sites where people need them, not just at places where a given individual needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Valid points in all of this discussion.

But it only serves to highlight the complete lack of charging in Dublin. This needs to be addressed urgently.

The rate at which new EVs are being registered each month vs the rate at which new chargers are being installed, this problem is going to compound exponentially.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Again, no wheel to be reinvented here. After Tesla covered the main routes in the US they moved on to Shopping Centres...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

By that logic ESB is jumping ahead and failing to do either of those things

Exactly @wassie, Dublin needs charging hubs for the local population. ESB will make more money from a customer who charges once a week at Dublin hub than a customer who uses Mayfield 4 times a year. eCars have basically left the AC market now and are only installing them where they are paid to do so by the host site.

There are a lot EV drivers here that believe shouldn't buy an EV without home charging and that chargers shouldn't be put in places that are desirable for people that can't charge at home, it's very similar to the people who complain about housing development, a classic case of pulling up the drawbridge behind you.

Precisely.

Because of the network still being far from fully developed then we are all going to be forced at times to use locations that are not perfect.

Lets assume eCars actually has a plan we don't fully know of yet for a fully functioning network.

That network would feature different types of location.

And as network is now and as it will be as it develops - we work with what's available to us

I missed it if it was posted already but there's new ESB units going into the Amber petrol Station in Fermoy.

Is that a new location and if so is it replacing the existing location Fermoy already has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Units don't have power yet. Typically they don't remove older sites, but it depends.

In terms of existing chargers and how to find them don't ask, just use plugshare app and filter by CCS or chademo. I (and others) try to ensure latest chargers are listed there along with any problems mentioned here or on Facebook.

In terms of esb rollouts I think they want more government funding, as in hand outs. Power upgrades for the likes of Blanchard's town could be significant, once you talk high numbers your basically paying esb networks for powerlines and a substation that needs planning permission. Then you don't own the parking spaces, and no such thing as free meal. They could easily quadruple the number of chargers and still be busy, I hope easygo roll out a job but from what they say single sites are more profitable. They don't seem to want to create hubs beyond kinnegad which can charge two cars at once. Easygo also complain grid costs make it impossible to justify the additional cost to get enough power to supply a hubs needs. A real tender from government is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

Anyone on this. Anyone aware offhand of any secret chargers out there not on the maps etc. 🤪🤪

Advertisement