Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 - Round 4: Emilia Romagna (Imola)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He's down the back anyway so not a huge deal that.

I think the drs might be a bit too effective?

Given the first 3 races and today with Max following closely yet it was Leclerc's tyres that went off its pretty clear the regs are working well.

Had to get out of Zhou's way when he was on the way back on the back of the bike. :P

Fuckers put up new advertising at Tamburello, fucked the lovely spot I had yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If Max wins tomorrow he'll be 2nd in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Can see his point, when your used to being at the top, narrowly missing out on a title and was probably gunning for redemption this season but the car modifications are letting him down he bound to be p!ssed off, plus his his chances of winning the championship are looking pretty bleak to be honest as Ferrari will be too far ahead to catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Makes it better but wouldn't want it every race. Presumably you prefer if all the other races are less good...

The F1 fan mentality is amazing to watch.

i have a new idea about introducing sprint races

F1 fan:New idea? I hate it

It makes the racing better

F1 fan: I don't want it to be better, I want it to be like it was in the past

After a passage of time...

I have a new idea about getting rid of sprint races

F1 Fan: I hate your new idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Could the sprint race be a little longer? A half hour race (100km) didn't give you enough time to sit down and digest what is happening. I'm thinking maybe 125km sprint might be good, which could bring tyre strategy into play.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Nah, keep tyres and strategy out of it. Start fast finish fast.

That's almost a half race distance. They'd either need to pit for fresh tyres or tiptoe around to make one set of tyres last. The point of a sprint, is that they sprint. They go as clsoe to flat out as they can for the race distance on one set of tyres. Making it look ger would defeat the purpose.

I know there are a million ways to do it differently and to find s clever angle on how they got it all wrong. But today's sprint was really entertaining. I'm sure that annoys the people who decided they hated the new idea before they even saw it in action. Bit this was a good sprint.

It's new and good. The F1 fan's dilemma is how to transition from hating the new idea, to seeing the new idea as status quo and hating and new changes to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've always liked the idea of sprint races, the more racing the better as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think the idea of more points up for grabs makes "sprinting" far more interesting than it was last year. It's like the losing bonus point in rugby. There is always something to pay for. I agree with others that it should only be a select few races each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

FP2 race shows no overtaking but accidents likely to happen. Rain possible

A few accidents have been driver error alright but hopefully there's rain for the GP to shake things up

Free Practice 2 racing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No the Formula 2 race. The racing equivalent of the U20’s in Rugby so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I just watched the sprint race there now and while it was enjoyable I still do not like it and also think it is on on the wrong day. It should be Friday Fp1 and fp2 then the Sprint race with positions for the sprint race having been decided from where cars finished in the race the weekend before it and then FP3 on Saturday and then Qualifying for the main race or better yet get rid if the silly sprint race altogether and have the tyres for the main race last a full race so the cars can actually race and go flat out during the whole race.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Plenty of rain for the Porsche Super Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

Standing water. I was hoping for a dry F1 race. forecast looks bad with heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

It's probably one for the general thread but that's quite a number of leaps you're making based on a short post so I'll expand.

Unlike this imagined typical F1 fan, I've never hated the sprint or been against trying it. Same for other attempts to change the racing format. Even the ones that haven't worked, eg one lap qualifying, I think have been worth trying.

Yes I've enjoyed most sprints but theres a few reasons I don't think they should be there for all races. An obvious one as others have mentioned is cost, the more racing time the more resources needed, more parts, the bigger likelihood of a shunt or failure. This favours the richer teams in an already unlevel playing field.

But also from a racing perspective. While it can be entertaining I also think it often takes some of the entertainment away from Sunday. For instance Sainz botched his quali and yet is now p4. Similar happened with front runners last year. We saw last year any of the bigger teams made a mistake and they usually were able to undo it in the sprint, smaller teams that had a bit of luck qualifying often seemed to have it undone. So it can take away some of the jeopardy of a normal quali weekend.

In sum I think it's good but feel the variety in the format is better for the sport at the mo and also for entertainment. So I'd put it as follows:

i have a new idea about introducing sprint races

F1 fan:New idea? Let's give it a go on a limited basis

It makes the racing better but there seem to be pros and cons to this

F1 fan: ok let's keep it on and tinker with it to improve it, we don't want to change what has worked in the past until we are sure it is right and would be sustainable

After a passage of time...

It seems to bring something, let's keep seeing how this is going and not get rid of sprint races, but also not go all in on them quite yet

F1 Fan: Cool

Post edited by strawdog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Let’s be honest, the sprints were introduced to increase TV viewership on Saturdays. Saturday qualifying viewership is a fraction of race viewership.

I have watched all 4 sprint races to date live, but I hadn’t watched qualifying in more than a decade. I assume the same applies to many of F1 fans.

The plan for next year is 6 sprint races and longer term possibly all races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That weather radar at the moment doesn't show that rain is going to stop for a while. Could very well be a full-wets race.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

The race could be started under safety car or delayed some torrential showers inbound especially the hour before race starts.

Porsches cleared a line quick enough. But now there's over 2 hours with nothing going around.

Hopefully it won’t be a repeat of Spa last year. I paid a tenner to Now TV to watch that.

A good rule on the internet is not to engage with someone who tells you what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks like the rain may clear by 2pm our time, showers may build up behind it though.

Link to radar.

Driver's parade on now. Bucketing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They'll be starting on full wets surely? Forecasts look very unpredictable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is worth keeping an eye on this thread, getting Sports on a deal can be great value rather than a day pass.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058086783/now-tv-latest-deal-codes#latest

• Advertisement

Thanks @ShamoBuc I got the half price offer before this season started.

For sure €19.50 a month for 6 months.

There is no way this race will start has normal if this rain continues. Red Bull will not be happy car looked really fast in the dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

What time is it starting?

14:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Manky weather be manky. Looks cold too. Random that Sky have Nico Rosberg remotely there too..

Ha. Are you seriously suggesting the average fan or the general reaction on this thread to sprint races was anything like "F1 fan:New idea? Let's give it a go on a limited basis"? Be serious. The consensus was that sprints are a "gimmick" and have absolutely no place in F1. The FIA forced the idea through and is tinkering with it, but it's not doing it dut to the popularity of thenidea amongst fans.

The notion that the F1 fan's sentiment was as open-minded as "humm, interesting idea, let's give it a go", is laughable. They hated it. But this leads to my other point that the hated new idea transitions to status quo and then gets the same defence against new ideas that were seeing now.

Just look at the post a couple of posts above yours. A poster said, without a hint of irony, that they enjoyed the sprint, but they don't like it.

I just watched the sprint race there now and while it was enjoyable I still do not like it

That's the F1 fan mentality in nutshell. But give it a few years and the same fans will vehemently oppose any suggestions of getting rid of the sprints because it's what they're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

"But you’re from Leighton Buzzard"

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

May we see Hungary repeat here, with some pitting at end of parade lap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Where is Martin Brundle?

Could be mixed grid, button defo will go for inters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton reporting an engine issue

I don’t think Hamilton’s wing man will be in a position to take out the 2 Red Bulls like last season. (I know Verstappen was able to continue but he was way down the order with a damaged car.)

Seeing Hamilton line up on the grid on his own while every other driver pitted was one of the funniest things I have seen in F1. Really made the Merc strategists look like idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

The key word in your reply to me was 'presumably you prefer' and it was way off so I clarified my position.

Entitled to your opinion of what you think the average F1 fan's opinion is, my opinion is that their opinion is a bit more nuanced than you think it is. All just opinions.

But it's a race thread so let's leave it at that and can debate it on the general thread if needed.

Enjoy the race!

As a Red Bull fan, we looked to have great pace on merit this weekend so frustrated to see rain which could turn it into a lottery. But fingers crossed for an exciting race and hopefully we can finish this one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems like the team are saying it’s a issue that won’t be a big one, but if they couldn’t fix it would they tell the driver ?

Sky are apologising for Christian Horner saying “pain in the arse” ? Ffs that’s hardly that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What Lol at Button. I think your a bit out there lol. Button retired years ago

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What an anthem. Best of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement