Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I don't agree. Our central bank introduced some restraints on mortgage levels.

Our main issue is political decisions and their impact on our/State finances.

The financial implications of our political decisions is the control that will be taken away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Central bank lending rules have ensured prices don’t totally run away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Quick amateur hour question folks - there's an apartment in my development which has apparently never been occupied. It would suit a relative of mine down to the ground, (and very few other people for various reasons).

I'm told it's "owned by the bank" by some of the neighbours, but nobody has further details and it's not under management.

How might I go about confirming who actually owns it, or approaching somebody with a view to buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Would be extremely hard to find out because if it’s owned by a bank it has probably already been sold on to some fund when they sold on their bad book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This government are a disgrace. Outbidding first time buyers to buy houses for refugees. When are people going to take to the streets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Of the median gross income is 80k it gives a mortgage if 280 k plus 10% deposit 33k( which should be achievable with this median couple) plus the HTB tax back of 30k gives 340k.

So the median couple can afford the average house. The other test is repayment capacity. 280k mortgage will cost about 1250/ month in repayments or 15k/ year. That is 27% of a 55k take home income of this median couple.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Yes all the American companies will happily pay these extra taxes and see their employees fleeced at 60%.

you severely underestimate the 2nd order effects in taxation. Remember Hollande in France? Wealth tax and 70% top tax rate? France is still suffering from the outflow of capital/wealthy people to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

That's what SF and friends will do to Ireland and we'll only have ourselves to blame for letting housing affordability and supply issues get to crisis levels for so long, pushing voters to populism. The IDA has cited the political risk of SF getting into government to its activities, don't for one second think it will be like a Labour/FF type government with SF; it will be grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The cynic in me thinks it will be more the state via HAP and enhanced leasing schemes paying the bulk of the rent on the new build BTRs and topped up by the tenant. Just look at the homeless HAP thresholds. Are the techbros/sisters really going to live in the new build BTRs in Cabra, clongriffin, ballyer etc paying 2 Gs a month? I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

I wouldn’t worry about house prices if Sf/lefties come in. Financial markets are starting to show zero leniency (like in Chile currently) given the historic 100% fail rate of left wing politics. Ie they won’t have time/resources to enact their program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

If the **** comes crashing down with sf. Ffg are directly responsible for sf vote surge, based on the housing disgrace. Ffg might show some interest in doing something about it in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

ItS behind a paywall.. can you screenshot it ?

I have never voted SF in my life but they're about to get a new voter now all because of the policies the current charlatans have introduced regarding housing and the corruption surrounding it. I will honestly say that FG will never ever get a vote from me again.

The cynic in me is thinking they are milking it for what it's worth now before they get kicked out at the next election fully in the expectation that the country is going into the gutter and can blame SF when it does and then try stroll back in after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If you go onto the land registry website you should be able to buy the folio for €5, that should give the name and address of the owner and the details of the bank that have a lean on the title, I've never used it for an apt though.

Option 2 might be to go to your management company to see if they have contact details, someone might be paying the management charges

There might be some difficulty in getting a mortgage on it though if all the official paperwork when it was built wasn't completed and whether it can be occupied immediately which is likely if it was never occupied or rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The whole scenario looks like a unique opportunity to bring back supply of unused stock.

I've heard of voluntary donations of housing being refused for miscellaneous stuff like lack of some key attribute like lack of or broken heating boiler. Maybe such issues could be corrected for the cost of a hotel room for 3 weeks. Then you have a house for 3 years.

6k homes in the fair deal scheme, could surely be used for short to medium term again with a small bit of spending

Could we ask Zelinsky for a small team of builders to be excused and allowed to come here for 6 months to help in bringing some of our empties back to liveable condition for their women and children. They seem far more adept at getting things done over there. Maybe their women and children could do alot of it while we are thinking about it.

With regard to empties assess the condition and cost of bringing them back into use. Where the cost is viable to bring them back into stock, offer the owner to do it in return for the utilisation of the home for 3 years. Where the owner refuses tax the owner a percentage of the utility value of the home.

Tax waste more and work less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's too long for a screenshot. I didn't realise it was paywalled, apologies. I found it through Google which sometimes overrides paywalls - perhaps if you search for it and go in through a search link it will show the full piece.

This would be the most logical solution to the issue, the government funding the emergency refurbishment of houses which would be difficult projects for normal house buyers and people would be happy to see derelict houses coming back into use but I think we all know it'll never happen, councils will use their extra cash to outbid private buyers to meet whatever arbitrary housing targets the government sets for them, usual lazy public sector shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

wwonderful to hear the logic that the median earning couple here are having absolutely no trouble buying the averaged price house

looks like the median single earner here are absolutely #$%ed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

is it even safe to buy houses built in this country over the last 10-15 years.... looks like the state is facing as usual writing another blank check to resolve builders/engineers shoddy work...

Expert warns defective blocks likely more widespread and scheme could cost €5bn

Aidan O'Connell, who is a structural expert, told RTÉ's This Week he believes that up to 12 counties in total may be impacted by the issue and that the total eventual cost of the State's Defective Concrete Blocks Grant Scheme could reach €5bn.

"I am worried about this increasing over the coming years, because it takes a long time for the pyrite problem to manifest itself in blocks ... it can be anything from ten to 15 years," he said.

He also said he can see the cost of the State's grant scheme "certainly going well above the €2.2 billion allocated.

Is there anyway of taking it out of the councils remit and hand it to the red Cross, Housing associations, other charities

With the private sector threatening to pull the plug on existing projects, extra labour could potentially be available for such projects.

Would open the door for small developers and self employed into guaranteed regular work as opposed to sub contracting for the larger developers and the risks that entail.

• Advertisement

I would guess the government and council's would have to run it so they can give themselves the emergency powers for funding, planning exemptions etc, can't let anyone else break the rules plus leaving it up to a few different voluntary could end up with them competing with each other for builders if they all need to refurb say 2 houses each in the same town.

Now I agree with you it would be better because alot of councils are failing miserably to bring back into use their own vacant social housing stock for years

A good article on commercial vacancy and potential to convert to residential

According to the Geo Directory Commercial Vacancy Rates Report for Q4 2021, there were 29,317 vacant commercial units dispersed across the State. This was the highest level recorded by GeoDirectory in nine years of reporting.

Mr McDonald also pointed out the issue with office buildings that were built in the 1970s and 1980s which no longer meet contemporary office requirements.

"It seems to me to make a lot of sense to convert those buildings into residential rather than demolishing them," he said

McDonald was critical of Government housing policy which he said has "essentially been determined by the property lobby".

"What that involves is the creation of blocks of build to rent apartments which is the most profitable development model around and that’s of interest to big institutional investors

“A lot of [local authorities] seem to think older buildings are liabilities rather than assets.

“It is a systemic failure to recognise the value of town buildings as liabilities rather than assets and potential future homes where people would have immediate access to shops and other services

Room to improve: Turning vacant commercial property into residential accommodation | BreakingNews.ie

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/room-to-improve-turning-vacant-commercial-property-into-residential-accommodation-1294121.html

By the end of 2021, there were 29,317 vacant commercial units dispersed across the State

And what we see on the media is the government frantically searching for housing to meet the refugee crisis.

Simultaneously so much under utilised property under there noses, much of it in their own control

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Much appreciated.

So per the folio, the last entry on it is a judgement mortgage against the (now deceased) builder by one of his industry creditors in 2013. Am I correctly interpreting it then that technically the apartment - or at least a mortgage on it - belongs to the creditor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The first creditor listed on the folio has first call on the property. Whoever is listed first is the owner of the property.

The creditor obtained a judgement mortgage for non payment of a debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

The reality is that even with the best will in the world much of this under utilised property cannot be brought on stream in time in terms of the numbers coming in. The authorities have no option but to buy/rent as much as they can if they want to be able to house them

Student accomodation can fill a gap, when they are required back in Sept, holiday homes could be used. This buys time to get our house in order.

I don't think alot of people recognise the seriousness of the situation the world faces, there is a strong argument for rationing of fuel and food and we are not far away from famine in many countries. WFH should be fully re instated where possible for the summer months. That time should be used for park and ride facilities for the winter months as heating many people in a large office is more efficient than everyone having the heating on all day.

There is an absolute perfect storm coming, we need to be making full use of what we have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Single people alwaysstruggled to buy houses historically. Most used to be in there late 30's or 40's before they could afford to buy a house. Yes for a period in the 90's and especially in the price collapse after the noughties they could. But generally they struggled to buy unlesson very good wages. that is why you see many single older people having moved back into a family home or living in LA housing.

Slava Ukrainii

Just in case you were in any doubt that state activity was not fueling house price inflation

A case involving a company whose entire board were found to have engaged in fraudulent behaviour

This country is toxic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There'll be Anglo-type stories about what Davy have been up to (with what we know so far being the tip of the iceberg) when the whole charade gets uncovered, I believe.

I posted last year that DCC leases its long term social housing properties from Davy-managed vehicles in the vast majority of cases. Owen Keegan of DCC is of course former Davy. These are the unelected elites that run the country for their own benefit and there is every reason to think their activities will contribute to another sort of property crash. Having SF lift the rock of omerta that let's these guys get away with fleecing the taxpayer by bringing in some anti-institutional investor laws will cause the insects to scamper. We'll have the inner circle of FF/FG politicians, corporate lobbyists, media shills etc all crying about the economy tanking because of SF's anti-FDI measures but it will be gaslighting from institutional abusers of the taxpayer. Again, I just don't know why Irish people give so much respect to authority regardless of how corruptly the authority is being exercised, it truly is a toxic, self-destructive, bordering on masochistic, trait. These folks should be turfed out of business.

Advertisement