Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is ducting? Potentially FTTH coming soon

Options
  • 24-06-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I can see a big black box in our rural area up on a pole about 100m from our house.. im assuming this is finally the rural fibre to the home. Apparently our house is on the list to upgrade to ftth within "the first half of 2019" and that black box appeared only a few days ago.

Is this the start of it, can anyone who has seen this before and gone through the process tell me what happens next?

also im eager to start prepping , i've heard installation requires ducting work to be done before hand, what is ducting? at the moment we have a standard pstn line coming into the house from overhead wire to a porch area and crappy 6meg broadband. What work would i need to do to make this installation happen easily when the time comes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Video wrote: »
    I can see a big black box in our rural area up on a pole about 100m from our house.. im assuming this is finally the rural fibre to the home. Apparently our house is on the list to upgrade to ftth within "the first half of 2019" and that black box appeared only a few days ago.

Is this the start of it, can anyone who has seen this before and gone through the process tell me what happens next?

also im eager to start prepping , i've heard installation requires ducting work to be done before hand, what is ducting? at the moment we have a standard pstn line coming into the house from overhead wire to a porch area and crappy 6meg broadband. What work would i need to do to make this installation happen easily when the time comes.

A fibre cable would be brought from that box into your home. If your existing phone line comes in overhead it us likely that the fibre cable would follow the same route.

Ducting is underground piping that would carry a cable. You should not have to bother with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

A fibre cable would be brought from that box into your home. If your existing phone line comes in overhead it us likely that the fibre cable would follow the same route.

Ducting is underground piping that would carry a cable. You should not have to bother with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

thanks for the reply,
    at the moment there is only one of those black boxes up and not right outside my house (as i said about 100m away next door), curious if these will be installed on every pole or not or will new fibre cable be installed from that one black box at the current location and spread out across the houses in the area?

just worried that my house somehow wont be covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

thanks for the reply,
    at the moment there is only one of those black boxes up and not right outside my house (as i said about 100m away next door), curious if these will be installed on every pole or not or will new fibre cable be installed from that one black box at the current location and spread out across the houses in the area?

just worried that my house somehow wont be covered

One box can serve 4 to 8 premises generally so they will not be on every pole. Each premises would get an individual cable from the box.

It can take a couple of months from the boxes being installed to be ready for ordering so keep checking your Eircode regularly on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

and

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

For info, eir ducting guide can be found here - https://www.eir.ie/support/just-joined/fibre-to-the-home-underground-ducting/

also an open-eir installation video here

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Dig a 6+ inch trench from your house to the pole and lay 1+ inch hydrodare in it. THe guides say 200mm and 32mm Inner Diameter but my ftth install finished an hour ago in 50 meter of 1inch ducting and it's working well.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The fibre can also be brought in overhead in similar manner to the copper line.
    A 'neater' route would be underground and out of sight. That might not mean much to you, so if the pole is reasonably close you could opt for overhead.

If you opt for ducting then I suggest you comply with the eir size requirements.
    Place the duct down about 2 feet and about halfway to surface place a plastic warning tape along the route, to help protect the duct in case of future digging. Make sure the filling around the duct is stone free to prevent damage from weight being applied later to the area.
    Do not have any sharp bends in the duct ..... make its route as straight as possible to the end point. Select your end point at the house to suit where you want the fibre to come in. You will need power points (2) available inside for the equipment.
    When bends are required use industry standard and ensure all joints are fully made to prevent anything catching on internal edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Bumping this rather than opening a new thread , FTTH coming soon (hopefully) and wife does not want overhead install from pole ,so any suggestions on where to get 50m of suitable 32mm ducting/conduit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where are you located, local co-op or builders providers would be an initial suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

down in Cobh will try the co op , they're normally not too bad price wise ,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Eir recommend hydrodare pipe. The smaller diameter pipe can be easily got in builders providers, I found it harder to get the larger diameter (in the end got it in Prosperous, Co. Kildare). I would suggest checking builders providers/co-ops in rural areas as they are more likely to have the larger diameter pipes which are used by farmers.

The openeir document in some places says 32mm internal and in other places external diameter, so I went for slightly bigger a 1.5 inch (38mm) hydrodare pipe, just to be safe. Also for 32mm pipe it is at the distance limit for that size (without access chambers), so you may be better going for 1.5 or 2 inch duct.

While a coil of hydrodare will easily fit in a van, depending on the car it may or may not fit inside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement