Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

If Putin says he will not do something he will do it, if Russia says it ain't so, it is so. I truly do hope that Ukraine manages to hold some of its coastal areas. A few people asked me what I meant previously by heavy gear, well, we have Mowag and Scorpion APC's and tanks we have little use for. 50 cal machine guns anti-tank weapons and sniper rifles. As we have no staff to talk off in the Navy we could give them one patrol boat and hope they can rig it up to deploy anti depth charges to drop on Russian submarines. I am assuming 'anti-depth-charges' are still been made and used.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

No harm in trying. Cant be any more shît than their human soldiers. Might want to train rats next, they'll feel right at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Donetsk region.

❗️The lives of two children from the Ocheretynska community were taken by Russian critters this Easter morning.

The house on Myru Street, where their family lived, was destroyed, the girls aged 14 and 5 died."

This is the reality while Orc media go on about trained seals.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"😡 The Ministry of defense of the horde said that the region has deported almost a million Ukrainians

According to a certain head of the horde there, we do not care what, Mikhail Mizintsev, over the past day, vile savages were taken from the regions of Ukraine and the territory occupied by illegal armed groups "L/DNR" 16,838 people, including 1,402 children.

In total, according to the Ministry of Defense of the swamp tribe, since the beginning of the war, the undercount has deported 951,329 Ukrainians, including 174,689 children.

Bastards, we baptized you, we will sing 😡"

The Russian state and all it's supporters are pure filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Now that's how you do a curse.

I'll add to that. May those Russians rot in hell for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

My heart is breaking seeing the image of that poor woman and her 3 month old. She had lovely pregnancy photos done a few months ago, a whole new world to look forward too. Now gone. **** Russians.

And once again the Germans are the disgrace of Europe. Deutschland Uber Alles indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why aren't we hearing other leaders calling out Germany/ Seems there is complete silence from Biden, Boris, Macron ect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A lightly armoured recon vehicle wouldn't last long in a high intensity conflict like what were seeing in parts of Ukraine,and we don't have a large supply of mowags either, there would be little or no purpose in degrading the defense forces here who are already under equipped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Yes that thought struck me as well. Maybe they are happy enough to have a few ‘reputable’ countries like China, Germany , India not to have completely trashed relations with Russia this side of a Nuclear strike so there will be further isolation that can be imposed on Russia when they do reach for the Nukes although you would imagine it would be all irrelevant by then. Perhaps the hope is that the threat of complete international isolation will hold off the Russians from a nuclear strike. That’s the only logic I can see. You’d imagine that if Russia lost the support of China and Germany especially they would not last long. US/U.K. want this war to stay conventional at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think it is because other leaders also feel like they could do a lot more but are doing as much or as little as they think they can get away with. So, if they highlight other countries lack of action then they could have their own lack of action highlighted. Much better for them to make a big show of the assistance they are giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm reading that state TV has stopped showing maps of the Donbass region and southern / eastern Ukraine on its daily broadcasts, as it is painfully obvious that the army is making absolutely zero progress in the region.

I'm more surprised they are not just extending the occupied area on the map. Its not as if they mind lying.

One wonders when the penny will start to drop with the Russian public that the war is being lost. They will surely smell a rat at some point.....we're two months into the war and the regime has made virtually zero progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

As a person I never respected once beautifully said “There are known unknowns and unknown unknowns”. There are plenty of people on this thread who know alot more about this Ukraine conflict then me. But not one know anymore about what Putin would or would not be capable of doing or if there would be enough checks and balances to prevent a disaster. Even if there was, many more intelligent people would point out that an escalation of war can result in a catastrophic event by mistake.

I agree with standing up to Putin, but I don’t know the best way of doing it. I’m not implying anything by saying that. I am hoping like everybody else , that Putin is just one massive bluffer and if he wasn’t that somebody would stop him.

I don’t see an easy way to navigate this situation but it is wise to have some people in dialogue with Putin. A wise man keeps his friends close and his enemies closer. I’d say a lot of the stuff we see on tv is spoon fed theatrics and there is more dialogue then we know (like what used to happen in Cold War behind the scenes). I’d be very concerned if there wasn’t engagement in other forums. Diplomacy is wise (even if it does seem futile), especially when war can still be avoided from spilling outside of Ukraine.

I think the charade will be kept up for the May 9th fantasy parade, then after that Putin might start declaring some sort of denazification goal achieved and slink out of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

As well as that the German gas situation is a convenient mud guard for many EU countries. I’m sure most of them are happy enough that Russian gas is still pumping into EU energy supply with the Germans taking all the political flak. You won’t hear any complaints from them about German policy.

• Advertisement

I don’t know that it matters. The story will be that the whole of NATO has piled in behind Ukraine and that NATO is no trying to destroy Russia and Russian culture and civilisation. And that this is now an existential fight for the defence of Russia. And the public in a large part will buy that.

at least thats the view of my trinity educated Russian friends in Moscow (who can no longer speak to their pro Putin parents, who think that they are betraying Russia)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have a funny feeling that if russia and the russian people dont get to grips with the fact they are NOT a world power ...and their military is weak ...karma will happen.

They have a lot of neighbors who don't like them who are ...less moral than some. If they sense weakness....it will haunt them nukes or no nukes there are many ways to skin a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do we think Ukraine can actually kick the russians out and get them to stop bombing by air eventually without giving territory? oooorrr

I mean will russia give up in a year or so??? Putin will get a hobby like?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If they have the right air defense systems they can remove the threats from aircraft and cruise missiles to a degree, nato has the ability to track aircraft and missles heading to ukraine , but it Ukrainians hasn't the right weapons to counter the threats all they can do is track and hope get some kind of warning out

im not sure that is a way to win but more like hoping your enemy gives up ....

But even that narrative can only get them so far. There are no NATO troops on Russian soil, no NATO attacks on Russian territory and nor will there be. Trying to portray the Putin regime as the "victim" in all this may be trickier than it looks.

All of this is so very true. But they can just lie and say there are nato troops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

If the west keep supplying them they can win. Russia will get weaker over time and Ukraine will get stronger. Ultimately, the west will decide who will win and what ‘winning’ means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think it would help much. I think will see them doing more. Feels like a long time ago given how much has happened since, but the starting position pre war was that German govt. was not going to provide any weapons to Ukraine or even allow others to re-export their German sourced weapons. Seems to be disputes in the govt. over it (the "large" weapons), public wants more done too I think I've read.

The UK govt. is the only one that might castigate Germany publically e.g. saw an opinion piece in the Daily Telegraph arguing for trade sanctions to be extended to Germany. Crazy on face of it, but sometimes that newspaper reflects the Tory party politicians' thinking on issues.

On the energy trade embargo, well just feel very doubtful it can be cut off tomorrow morning as demanded without economic crisis and effects of this rippling out all across the EU. Including here. Now there is an argument that the price is worth it - that we're basically in a new cold war with Russia in all but name and citizens of all EU member states will just need to accept what this means + how they are going to suffer for it for some time to come.

Would almost like to see Germany actually try and do it (immediate embargo)...the crying and wailing around Europe + potential politcal explosions if I'm right in my feelings about impacts when it starts to hit home (including here) could be quite something to behold. I am a bit sceptical of extent of desire to suffer for a higher purpose. The Irish public apparently (think I read this morning), wants a cap instituted on the Ukrainian refugees...enough is enough and would Putin be a good lad now and stop it as far too many have now come for us to cope with (20-25k or so?).

Putting Germany + China and India all into the same box...I suppose this is the way with an echo chamber where the comments just get more and more extreme as time passes + no one (as far as I can see) says, well, hold on a sec lads?

"Germany" is not in support of Russia here edit: even if it can be argued they are not doing enough for Ukraine.

For all the talk (assuming there is not a sudden cut off done at EU level?) it will be interesting to come back and see what countries manage to successfully work to decouple themselves from Russia after a few months + get the energy monkey off their own backs, what countries are just going along to get along + even start quietly bending the sanctions to make a few more bob etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement