Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

At no stage have i said limerick were cheating?

I seen enough of limerick,to say they give away copious frees between the two 45s in effort to slow down game,help organise their defence....i mean,its a fairly cynical tactic,but a tactic nonetheless,which plays percentages that its better give away frees vs letting teams get a run on yous,its like a footballers way of playing hurling,but still,its simply upto teams to .move ball faster to avoid this....

But if they run into a referee that books for persistant fouling,which will happen eventually,they are going to run into problems.....do you not feel hegarty was playing close to wind with repeated fouling,despite already being on a yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

If you think the referees are missing something and you think this is a tactic of Limerick to 'foul' and get away with it then yes that's what you are implying.

Most bottle ups are not fouls and some are. This is the nature of a physical contact battle. Limerick are clearly not trying to foul - its not in their interest to do so.

Waterford would be better off trying to improve in this area rather than looking to Croke Park and referees to bail them out.

No one knows more than Limerick there are things to improve on. That's what this team's development has been based on over the last 6 years - constantly looking to innovate and improve year to year.

Yes Hegarty needs to to watch his loose use of the hurley - thats clear. But its a blinkered view that he's the sole bad guy and all Waterford play is whiter than white. He takes unbelievable punishment from the opposition in every game - most of which does not get caught by referees. Waterford fouled him all evening and at least twice he was given frees for overcarrying - this is likely down to his reputation at this stage. That's something for him to work on which you can be sure Kiely and Kinnerk will be doing with him. Watch for later in year - you will likely see the results of this wotk.

I have not claimed waterford are whiter than white (why make stuff up??)

i like the bit of steel and determination put into em by cahill/bevens......but you have some severely tinted glasses on,if you think limerick arent commiting fouls wholesale between the two 45s,to a level which could be argued is a concious decision/tactic to do so....they are at it,these last few years,take out any youtube video of a match involving em,and simply count.the transgressions involved,

Its not particularly a complaint,just a rather clear observation,kk done it for years under cody like,it used be called "playing on the edge" back then

No, I dont think its a tactic to foul. I think some fouls are an outcome of a physical battle which they are clearly trying to have without fouling and in some instances failing. I think in fact they have worked really hard to minimise the number of fouls given away in the middle third which was evident in the last two matches from the number of turnovers Limerick achieved without fouling.

But as anyone knows there has never been a game without fouls. Doesn't make it a tactic.

Sounds like we will have to agree to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

While your compiling your stats you might count the number of times Hegarty was fouled by Prunty,also have a look at Pruntys punch to the troath of Darragh Donovan.Also note Stephe Bennet screaming in Hegarty's ear while he was on his knees after being fouled again.I thought he showed unbelievable restraint considering the amount of abuse and punishment he took throughout the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The dirty tag will follow them as long as they keep winning is the truth really. In reality it's just the talk of losers trying to comfort themselves.

It's nothing to do with who fouls more.

Whats deliberate fouling if not cheating ?

Also are we not doing the black card for the championship. Cause if we are a few fouls on Gillane should have been black

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Limerick do foul more

From 2020, i doubt much has changed.

It leads to point above of limerick happy to concede niggly fouls high up the field to prevent dangerous ball coming in.

Don't be throwing out "facts" and then finish off with "doubt"

I was at game yesterday and I saw who was doing the fouling (and diving)

• Advertisement

Good man yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tranquilo

God, I thought I was in the general All Ireland thread, not the Limerick thread from all the nonsense I've been reading here. You lot just enjoy every minute of this success. Your team is incredible.

If my own county Wexford were this good then it would be us constantly being complained about. It seems there's still a lot of bitterness going around that Limerick are now hurlings power house and you can easily tell it just hurts a lot of other fans to the core. It's constantly going on over in the All Ireland thread too.

Enjoy it lads. I'm completely envious but also completely in awe of some of the hurling you've produced these past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

of course he's no saint or anything but the sledging and holding and pulling of hegarty last night was something to behold I watched a few times off the ball arms wrapped around him when no ball in the vicinity.

there's no doubt about it cos we're at the top we get more criticism.

genuinely if I was a Waterford supporter I'd be very disappointed with last night considering what we were missing

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Gillane was unreal Saturday night, his movement off the ball was incredible, the defender didn't know when the real run was coming. He was simply unmarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Is the Under 20 game V Clare on Wednesday being shown on TG4 UTube?

Have you ever seen the numbers of times Hegarty himself is pulled and dragged without getting any. Right in front of us this happened and yes pulled for overcarring. Darragh O'D was also clearly seen getting a box of a fist in the face when play. Can opponents do what they to Limerick players

Thanks for a fair and decent comment. Back in the 50s and 60s Wexford (and in passing Waterford) and I never thought there was much I'll will towards either side. But there was Social Media in those. But when Galway and Clare came up big-time in the 80s and 90s they were put under a level of scrutiny that successful Big Tree Teams would never be. A friend of mine says it's like the Tenants have had the cheek to take over the Landlord's property.

As Liam Griffin famously said back in, when Limerick people were whinging, 'winners are winners and losers make excuses'

Has been little or no mention of the incident where 2 players got a yellow for wrestling.

I was concentrating on the ball in play but the people next to me reckon the Waterford player was boxing the Limerick player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

what are you on about, Clare and Limerick played 2 weeks ago

Hegarty did overcarry, Prunty had the temerity to stand his ground and Hegarty didnt get past him.

DOD's head is now 10 inches lower is it ? The box was below his neck.

Sorry I know I was to on this and inadvertently put that up.

Both in clear of view of us and on viewing again on TV Prunty was hanging out of him.

I saw it. Was ridiculous that Reidy got booked. He was hauled to the ground and then held. He did nothing wrong but of course the ref took the easy option with the double booking.

DOD was clearly struck a box of a fist after Waterford had got a free The decision should at least have been reversed and a throw in ball given. I have this before in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

Go to specsavers and have another look the box th got was to his throat

I'de ignore that fella. He only comes on to the Limerick thread to act the big hard WUM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

And if i was a Limerick supporter id be disappointed with the constant booing of the opposition free takers by Limerick supporters something which very rarely happens with other counties.

Advertisement