Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It happened before. We took in Syrian refugees from Lebanon, Italy, Greece. They were housed in HAP/Council housing. Locals on housing list protested in one instance, and the families were moved elsewhere

Or a councillor protests that refugees are prioritised over Irish on housing list in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I only discovered today that Garda Vetting is no longer a thing for host families.

The other delay in matching host families with Ukrainian refugees, we were told, was due to the process of garda vetting, where children were involved. And of course these already vulnerable children need to be protected, so garda vetting is essential. But this week The Southern Star was told by the Garda Press Office that the ‘vetting’ of families has now been passed to the Red Cross.

In a statement to this newspaper, the press office said that the Irish Red Cross had been designated as the ‘relevant organisation’ to conduct vetting ‘where hosts have pledged to share their home with these Ukrainian families’.

Interesting reading about people not being contacted by the red cross & no way to call them back if you get a missed call.

https://www.southernstar.ie/editorial/vetting-decision-smacks-of-panic-4241773

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Without mentioning locations there's been numerous report's of the Joyous community spirit in welcoming Ukranian refugees, community halls spruced up, RTE and Virgin Media news tripping over themselves covering these good news stories.

Off hand, I know of 3 communities now falling over themselves welcoming Ukranian Refugees, all of course laudable and wonderful.

But and there's a number of Buts, these very same communities were up in arms protesting at proposed Direct Provision Centres being located in their communities over the past few years.

The Hypocrisy is not just breath taking its frankly Vomit Enducing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Many government defenders will say you should stop complaining and upskill. Make more money to buy a house you can afford.

I agree with you 100%. The government knows they are in massive trouble. Are they just trying to give Sein Fein as bad a hand as they can get for a first time in government?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's been put better by others in reply to you, but frankly you're talking nonsense from a position you reached that would be very different if you were starting out today and no amount of "homespun wisdom" about hard work would help you nearly as much as you think. It's the all too usual old people tutting at the upcoming generations with eff all actual understanding of what that generation faces.

I'm not your generation because I was born as man walked on the moon, but even as a teen in the 80's when there was rampant unemployment, inflation and all the rest and many were trying to leave, the idea and practice was still around that you could buy(or rent) a home and raise a family(of usually more than one kid too) on one wage. You grew up and went into an Ireland where that was more than idea and practice. It was the majority experience. In your time women working in the civil service had to leave after they got married and married women were barred from getting a job in the first place. What does that tell you about how different things are now? If you tried that today outside of the daft gender discrimination aspect, their families would default on their mortgages(if they had one) and couldn't pay the rent. Even your children who "learned from your lifestyle" unless you had them later in life did not face what the young face today.

You yourself did it "on your onio" as a single mother with one wage coming in. Unless you had a very big wage today, you quite simply couldn't do what you did today. You certainly couldn't do it without a large chunk of other taxpayers social support.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

The irish government are looking for kudos from europe,as they are expecting to be out after next election

While there is large reasonable merit in them doing what they can to help ukrainines,

it lays bare what could been done with years to help those here struggling with years to make a home for emselves here and those poor folks locked up in remodeled hotels/DP centres with years & years must have to ask,why they been treated so badly for so long.....it wasnt that long ago the state was argueing in court againest letting em.have an irish driving licences

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I phones can be had for a few hundred euros. It’s generally part of having a job that you need one to contactable. Equating I phones and not being able to afford a €300 k home is extremely disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

34 and thinking of moving? Makes me realise who lucky I have been.

You won't be alone sadly. How us as a nation is putting up with this I never know. I'm lucky myself and partner have own place. It took 6 years for me build house,but no way could I do it now. I'm only couple years older than you but just got break you did not.

I hope it works out for you and rest of people in similar situation. Sadly, the demand is just way above what it should be. Its hard see a end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I honestly worry about my young adult children and their younger siblings future. They are going to be paying for this massive preventable over-spending from our government for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I didn't mention anything about a house, you did, so you are the only one being "disingenuous".

Ireland in the 60s, 70s, 80s is a different universe to what it is now. If anyone tries to tell you differently they are talking out of their hoop.

One positive about it though, the constant whinging and moaning wasn't tolerated. But but but what about me....

• Advertisement

Honestly go **** yourself with this flippant attitude - go and spend a day in the real world and you’ll know what “peak 2022” is.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, half my siblings were forced to emigrate once they hit 16 and the majority of my friends were gone by 18.

But please keep moaning about your subsidised education and 60k a year job.

😕

Honestly go **** yourself with this flippant attitude - go and spend a day in the real world and you’ll know what “peak 2022” is.

TBH I suspect they know exactly what you mean, but won't admit it... because it would mean acknowledging the poor decision to champion the causes they have. Doing such would mean taking some responsibility for that support.. Or simply they're out to trigger you.

I doubt anyone is so inward looking as to have missed the problems plaguing Ireland, and generally speaking posters who behave that way online, constantly deflect when challenged. Impossible to pin them down because probably they don't really believe the shite they're advocating anyway.

I learned during the banking crash and what came afterwards that the government is not there for the average Irish person. Your history of paying tax, your contributions, etc mean very little when it comes to needing some kind of help from them. And there will be no hesitation from them to hit you up for more taxes, or whatever, to fund their short-sighted schemes, that generally place foreigners or minority groups ahead of the majority.

I said earlier that Irish people pay so much for gaining so little in return. Any balanced look at other northern European nations, sees high taxes, but in most cases, there are seriously good benefits for having to pay so much.. that's not the case in Ireland, and it's getting worse, with no realistic improvement in returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah and I’m sure you and them all have houses to show for it.

Yeah it’s a life great forking out your life savings for a 14k masters and being on 60K and still having nothing to show for it.

You haven’t a breeze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and beyond extremely stupid. No solutions other than empty bleats of; "be grand, you're probably a racist".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nope at your age, none of us owned property. Couldn't afford it. Some of us moved back in with relatives to save though.

As for you having nothing to show for your relatively short lifes work and education so far, that's not true is it?

You are educated to a high standard in a "top job" that commands a decent salary which I assume is no where near the peak of your earning power once you gain more experience.

The glass looks half full to me, you and your partner will get there I imagine. Best of luck. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Come off off the Internet Boggles. You tinfoil hat wearing batshit loon! Or is it only you that's allowed insult people?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

The powers that be aren't talking about it because they don't care.

By natural extension, the media PR behind the government don't care, you won't hear about it.

They are telling you everything you need to know by what they are NOT saying, by what they do, by who they cosy up to. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

More people means more pressure means more money for the few in control. It's no more complicated than that. Pump the portfolios, sell the country out, disappear without personal consequence.

I'm ready to take action on this. It's just gone too far this time, and I know I'm far from the only one.

What do they value most? Take it from them. If it isn't for you, and is being used as a weapon against you, well, who cares if it goes up in smoke, right?

Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im not sure why the govt or the red cross thought strangers offering to live with strangers was a long term solution. But well its obviously not ..they should have built temporary accommodation ...and started to build more permanent solutions.

Although it looks like not as many ukrainians are interested in coming here as we thought. So i think it will be ok after a while.

It will murder the property market for a lot of people tho..even more. But what can you do? Apart from build ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

What can you do?

Manage population intake in a prudent manner is what you can do.

This madness is preventable, that's what makes it madness.

• Advertisement

Im not sure you can manage divine madness. I mean ....act of god ...immigration you can control ...refugees its a pretty out of control situation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

While gross €60k looks good at first glance, it’s the net income that matters. Above €34k the state is taking about 50% of this in varies taxes and levies. That’s the real problem

But do you really need to wonder what they were thinking?

This is the problem, people wondering if the government and their buddies are "stupid", or "naive". They aren't! They knew precisely what they were doing. More people, more price pressure, more money extraction for them.

Does anyone, in all seriousness now, think these people sat in a room to make decisions on allowing yet more people into the country, while they "forgot" about the housing crisis? While they "forgot" about the healthcare disaster? While they "forgot" about the education infrastructure? Not a single chance in hell.

What people are finally waking up to is that this has been the plan the entire time. It has been in action for a decade now. But it has been a slow boil, the only difference now is that they've made it more obvious because of the sudden glut. But it's nothing new, not at all.

And as for that "just build more houses" that they keep telling you, my God almighty, are people going to wake up to the reality that it doesn't matter what they build. They have a queue of people the length of Earth ready to fill them up.

You can't dig your way out of hole, and you can't build your way out of infinite demand. They know this, and that's exactly why they've put out the mantra of "just build more". It's a straight up lie.

As said, there are many people waking up to this sell-out, ready to start doing something about. And it won't be spending an hour walking around with a placard. They don't care about that.

If it's not for you, never was for you, and being used against you, just get rid of it. They'd respond like whiplash, cos that is the only thing they care about.

I like you as a poster and usually enjoy your posts Plucky ..so i say this with respect.

I am actually tiring of this almost brainwashing dogma by some that this is a nation wide conspiracy or it can or will not be fixed. There are solutions. It can be done. And the market can't keep inflating at this rate.

Yes some have vested interests ...nearly all politicians do ...but things can be done.

I don't see it as a conspiracy at all. It's not complex, the beauty is the simplicity.

They are not stupid or naive. They are making fully informed decisions, and those decisions are, year in and year out, pumping the price of housing.

There are no lizard people, it's not Michael Jackson or Elvis behind it all. Their decisions make money. A lot of money, for a very few people.

And I am saying that something can be done. Target what they value above all else, their portfolios. You'll see action within 24 hours.

But "build more houses"? No, after a decade of hearing it, while the opposite of what they promise occurs year in and year out, it's time that was put out to pasture. It's a lie.

Sitting around waiting for people, whose vested interest is the opposite of yours, to help you is just insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The funny thing is I have a good in demand job. I'm very well skilled doing my own upskilling each year. I pay into the higher tax rate, but my rate of pay can't keep up with the insanity along with renting.

2 beds are currently going for 420k in **** Maynooth. Its not sustainable.

This is not a anti welfare rant, but the system is invariably broken in parts. A girl I know (childhood friend) has been handed a brand new local authority property as a "single mother". She is on all sorts of welfare entitlements and has a cash in hand job. Her fella has a good job but he is undeclared and is sneakily living with her.

To see and be paying for such shenanigans makes me truly think what is the **** point. Almost a, If you can't beat them join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Why are they getting special treatment and automatically put on the housing list?

they should be given the same opportunities as the rest of us, which is work full time in order to get a stable wage to pay for a €2,500 apartment a month or save up for a 500k mortgage, they want to be like us? That’s what we do

seems fair to me

It's a completely understandable point of view, to end up in a position of begrudgery and jealousy (not saying you are) at others getting ahead while you're left footing the bill, and getting nowhere.

However, that would be misdirection of animus.

I personally believe that a robust social welfare system is a sign of a healthy nation. Taking care of people who need a hand up is a great thing in your own country.

Bear in mind, there is a reason it is termed SOCIAL welfare and not INDIVIDUAL welfare. It's for the good of a society.

But it's breaking down. This is what happens when you have a national welfare system operating on an international scale. This is what happens when you have national housing up for sale internationally. It breaks.

There is little doubt in mind that social welfare, if this coordinated sell-off is allowed continue, will be gutted. It's not a good thing.

No, the anger needs fall at the feet of the people who have carefully constructed this fiasco.

If Irish people want to get their attention, there's only one way, and one way alone. Take away what they value above you, show them that the game is up, take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Friedman said it years ago: "You can't have open borders and a welfare state". You can either have one or the other, but not both, as eventually the system will collapse. I'm sure there'll be posters along to say that we don't have open borders, but we do in almost every sense. We've laws that say otherwise, but what good are they when they are rarely enforced?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You won't convince anyone who didn't live through it what it was like. The 80s was the most depressing decade to live in. The standard of living has improved light years since then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement