Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia is losing equipment at the rate of 3 to 1 to Ukraine (with visually confirmed evidence)

For example, so far, Russia has lost a minimum of 540 main battle tanks, around 200 of which have been recaptured by the Ukrainians. At present, the Ukrainians are actually capturing more than they are losing.

We know from Russian leaks that the Ru military has lost around 13,000 men, with another 7,000 reported missing. We know where the frontlines are (satellite imagery and drone footage), we also know how they are moving. We generally know when Ukrainians contest settlements, capture them and when they lose them. We know roughly how many Battle Tactical groups (BTGs) the Russians started this invasion with, and approx what they have now (some are in refit in Russia). We generally know their approximate stocks of battle-ready equipment vs mothballed equipment.

Russia has had to retreat entirely from the North. They've lost ground around Kharkiv and Sumy, they've gained some ground in Donbas, they still haven't taken all of Mariupol, they've had mixed progress around Za and are having problems in Kherson.

Just because information can be Ukraine-centric and because most people support Ukraine doesn't mean we don't know what's going on. We are over 59 days in and we've yet to see any systematically incorrect information - so far the picture has been quite accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Kornet is like a musket compared to the first ball rifles. Kornet is a two man unit and it needs to be guided onto the target. It's quite bulky and is fired off a tripod AFAIK.

The Laws is a disposable anti-tank launcher. It's quite ligh and infantry men can carry it quite easy. Because of this many can be carried into battle for use against tanks or armoured personnel carriers.

The javilin is a slightly heavier version of the Laws. It's designed to defeat modern tanks. It attacks tanks from the top turret where armour is thinnest. It's also a fire and forget in that you give it the target and it's then dose the rest itself. Again it's a one man operated weapon. Other soldiers in the unit can carry the extra missiles for it. Both are effective against Russian tanks.

Russian drones have been fairly ineffective against Ukraine, however the Western drones(especially the Turkish heavy drone) has been successful against the Russian armoured columns.

Russia is occupying hostile territory. It will struggle to hold onto. It cannot develop air superiority be wise of stinger anti aircraft missiles. While they may capture and control some larger urban areas they will always be susceptible to guerilla warfare.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd say the reason Germany isn't giving financial support is, it would feed into the whole 'we're fighting the Nazis' narrative the Putin machine wants the Russian public to believe.

You might find, they are giving support indirectly.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is from January this year before the invasion of Ukraine.

The invasion of Crimea in 2014 artificially brought up the population number but the core reasons for people not having children in Russia remained and then Covid hit.

Article mentions even Putin was worried.

The stolen Ukrainian children going to be raised as Russian will bring up that number but it won't be a million.

The sooner the state dissolves into itself the better.

Maybe Putin has actually gotten his million back..

Russian dictators for ya.

Lucky Ireland wasn't beside Russia.

• Advertisement

IMO, Germans value German industry more than peace in Europe. They want russian fossil fuels, the want russian raw materials. I believe the only way to change this is for Europeans to boycott German products until they change course. The brutal truth is weapons, most importantly, win wars. Germany is willing to sell their Marder armoured vehicles to Greece, but tell Ukraine they don't have them, they're not serviceable, they're needed by NATO, none of which is true. Germany has compiled quite a list of verifiable lies and are now a problem for European defense. Some will roll their eyes, but the system we enjoy whether that's private business or CAP or whatever else are privileges, if we don't have the capability to robustly defend countries who have or aspire to have similar systems we only make ourselves weaker. Voting for the likes of farage, le pen, or orban is a vote for losing those opportunities. Germany is being unfathomably shortsighted, the damage to their reputation is great. In the financial crisis others had to suffer, but Germany is above suffering it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yeah, but they were hanging around the west coast, small world.

BMW and Mercedes did halt all production in and sales to Russia including parts, early on. But I'm not sure if that was because of sanctions or not.

I'd go 99% the result of sanctions tho.

Yeah but they didn't capture @[Deleted User]

Failed mission.😃

Still though. The Russian embassy here should be done away with. Only reason it's so big here is espionage on the US tech giants.

Germany if they were any good should be putting pressure to get Kaliningrad back. But then the car companies are there propping that and themselves up with cheap Russian labour. Pointless having it there being a target for later Russian ideas on Eastern Europe. It was only took by force from Germany in the recent past. Ties between Russia and Germany go deep. Blathering...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

Wonder did the Russia Embasy get their fill of oil...No noise out of them at the moment..

• Advertisement

There'll always be one. Or else it was brought in in drums in the back of an unmarked van.

I like this channel, they did a bit on Ukraine post USSR

https://youtu.be/IBhPMKnUTlw

Usually all about money and power. You'll often find those at the top are morally bankrupt.

And those who don't know any better and expect it will always be this way. The I'm alright Jim brigade and that's all that matters.

The top in Germany and Russia are all the one. The eastern european states with a fraction of the economies but 100% of the morals are showing their way.

Another way of putting it. The top in Germany are hoping to profit by acting this way towards russia and make money from the raping, pillaging, killing, torturing, looting, land grabbing, destruction, kidnapping in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How many other countries are still using Russian imports? We're still buying their oil products and coal most of Europe if not nearly all is too.

Everything collapses without Russian energy here, that's the reality.

Things won't collapse, but some nations will hurt (and we'll all take a hit from higher energy prices regardless). One of the most reliant is Germany, if they fully stopped tomorrow, analysts say their economy would contract 1% to 2%. A complete cut is doable, but nations like that are preferring to do a phased approach, where they phase out reliance over the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Those figures are nonsense.

It would be disastrous, our economy and currency would both implode and it would takes us a very long time to ever recover from it.

Part of me though thinks maybe we should do it. It would lead to a major shift in politics away from the current politicians and policies and lead to a major overhaul of the EU that would bare little resemblance to where we are now.

Right.

For Germany:

"Similarly, taking into account GDP growth in a “do nothing” baseline (which various estimates predict to be substantially positive), no study has found a recession with a year-to-year GDP drop larger than 2.5%. "

Most estimates put the GDP hit at between around 1% or 2% if Germany were to cut.

Germany will cut Russian coal imports by this summer, cut Russian oil by the end of the year and project that within 2 years they will have completely stopped using Russian gas. The EU is planning to reduce Russian gas imports by two-thirds this year alone.

As mentioned, if all of that is cut tomorrow, indeed there'll be some pain in Europe, but nothing compared to what Russia will experience. These exports are Russia's primary source of income, and Europe is it's biggest customer. It's estimated that it will take Russia until 2025 to build the gas infrastructure to switch to China, and even then it's just a fraction of what it exports today to Europe.

2014 was a wake-up call which Europe acknowledged but didn't really respond to (except for certain Baltic countries). This is different, there's no turning back from this. No going back "to normal" with this Kremlin. Scholz will be lucky to have a job by the end of the year.

• Advertisement

In 1964 Ronald Reagan delivered a famous speech "A Time For Choosing", there's a lot in there to ponder but one phrase sticks out in current times for me

"history will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening."

Who's afraid of the big bad bear?

This is hilarious if it's right, I bet a modern day Mathias Rust could easily land in red square again

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1518593166143897602?s=20&t=mTxHjbFJ_zJO7936AlZMow

That and Bryansk means Russia will officially be at war.

Whatever that means as opposed to the Special Military Operation.

Probably still gearing up for their weapon of mass destruction in ukraine. In their warped sense of logic they'll say look at the US and Hiroshima.

The Russian government/military can only function with fear. In their eyes they'll only "win" with fear. Still all a chess game for the military. Atm the world thinks of them as a laughing stock like something at the bottom of your shoe. Not afraid enough to back off giving Ukraine help. The wmd will bring that fear back and in their eyes save Russian lives.

Only posting that as it was eluded to in response to one of your twitter links.

They're insane. But they need to be feared insane.

There was a post on twitter earlier showing camcorder footage of Russian soldiers in Chechnya 1995.

There was a husband, wife and teenage daughter on the side of the road talking to two russian soldiers as their column passed by behind them. The russian soldier shoots the husband dead. The wife falls to the ground after her husband calling them murderers. Then the same soldier shoots the wife in the back dead. The teenage daughter then calls out for her mother.

The camera then turns to the soldier and as calm as you like he says this is how we bring peace for terrorists. God knows what happened the daughter.

Point is. That footage looked like it was filmed by another soldier to be shown to other soldiers to gear their minds up for what they require to be done.

That's Russia. Russia today.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Man I wish there was as much support for Palestine that there is for Ukraine. It’s surreal how the information war has been won by the west for Ukraine . The man on the street knows all about the occupation and destruction of Ukraine but not of Palestine.. I am guessing folks still think there are weapons of mass destruction too in Iraq.

Prople can be lead and mislead so easily. Manufacturing consent is a truly a sad tale and a weakness in our psychology.

I wouldn't rule out use of wmd by russia, whether things need to get much worse for them or whether they use it as a sledge hammer I don't know.

putrid has painted them into some corner all the same. I suppose it can be said Ukraine is using many of the same weapons as russia but you'd have to think they've done great harm to their arms exports when compared to a third nation using Western weapons along with having some years of Western training.

It's like fearing the simpleton strong man character in a cartoon. They have a lot of force but it's applied in such wasteful ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

At the end of the day Oil sanctions against Russia are a waste of time. The world Oil trade is one leaky bucket. If Europe doesn't buy it then the likes of China, India, Brazil etc will, then the west will just buy the Oil that they used to buy but in the mean time they have double and tripled the price of Oil and Gas so now Russia has only to sell a third of its Oil to get the same revenue but at the moment they are selling the same amount of Oil and getting 3 times the revenue.

The Ban on fertilizer is another joke move. Europe bans buying Russian / Belarus fertilizers but Brazil, India, and the rest of Asia and south America load up.

The Ban on western companies doing business in Russia is another joke, how is it John Deere was allowed to keep operating in Russia due to "risk of world food shortage" yet everyone else has to pull out and let the Chinese and Indians do business with them instead.

Sanctions will cripple Russia my ass.

I'd be quite happy if like minded nations ceased all trade with russia while putrid or his thinking is in charge in that country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

your contradicting your recent posting

That seems to be the undercurrent throughout this thread, with posts and claims loaded with such irony those making them have to be pulling the mick, or talking mick.

It's an amusing to read though I must say.

We're being advised to boycott the Germans now, I've seen in here.

This thread is a good reflection of Irelands uncompromising desire to be seen as the absolute moral standard the globe should follow.

Always be seen as the best in class, even if it means leaving school

The Germans are looking after the Germans 1st.

Which makes sense to me

Advertisement