Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I'm sure there are things that are unforgiveable but what he done is not in that bucket! He is young and made a mistake, hopefully he has the right attitude to it and drives on like other players that made mistakes at that level and left it behind them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Why was Jennings not playing? We're told he's the next big thing but no U-20 time?

Any Ballinrobe lads here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Jennings should've been playing. The Islandneady lad plays outfield for his club. That Mayo team were awful to watch. Safety first, numbers behind the ball, hand-passing the ball to death and playing without a full-forward line. Let that be the last we hear of Sheridan and Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They played like his free taking routine.

Tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And even then they coughed up a fair few balls when their hand passing routines broke down and i imagine they must have spent hours doing these drills, doesnt say much tbh for management tbh and it must be depressing for talented young players to have to play this kind of shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Any thoughts on the match?

I think Galway would win (rather easily) if they played more like Kevin Walsh's team but I can't see Joyce doing that (and even if he changed his ethos, they haven't trained for that type of game)

The only other way I see them winning is if Walsh, Comer & Conroy play out of their skin - I think Durcan (if fit, otherwise Mullin), O'Hora and Coen/AOS will have enough to quieten at least 2 of those.

Mayo by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Kevin Walsh was underrated and Mayo were glad to see the back of him id said. If Joyce loses this it will have been a terrible tenure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

When you look at where Galway were when Walsh toke over to where he brought them to he did a fantastic job. I think the reason alot of people didn't rate him is that his galway teams never did any good once they got past Connacht!

• Advertisement

He’s a galway legend, he should be given at least 10 more years to implement his style of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I've two seats in the stand going for tomorrow if anyone needs them

Yawn, you might wnat to look at our record in quarter and semi finals, ya know 'outside Connacht'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How badly injured is Paddy Durcan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nervous excitement the night before a connacht quarter final. Strange times!

The bridge in Shrule has 6 big Mayo flags(3 on either side) to welcome our dear neighbours as they make their way towards defeat tomorrow:@

A hamstring so I’d say he is fairly close ……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cracking day for a mayo Galway game. Might skip the stand and enjoy the match from the McHale Road end in the sunshine.

• Advertisement

Is there any other game on before the main event?

Or is the fella from the Saw Doctors going to make an appearance?? 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Yeah, Donegal and Armagh. Perplexes me that 80% of the crowd will swan in there in the hour beforehand without any care or realisation that a huge game is on elsewhere. And then anyone who actually watches that is punished by a bad seat in the terrace. At least the stand looks to be reserved seating, but the concrete poles make it a no go for me

Cheers....what I meant though was about if there's another game in McHale Park before the senior game 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

No takers for free tickets... it's a lot quieter on here these days! 😁

Looking resplendent, can't embed the photo for some reason

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRGkYASXsAAOpP5?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement

Wow!!!!!!

It is going to be some occasion. I have butterflies in my stomach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Do you reckon they should reserve a special area of seating for all those people that will be watching the Armagh/Donegal match and will "swan" into the Mayo match just before throw-in. And maybe the Mayo and Galway fans can be sent to the terraces for wanting to actually be at the Mayo/Galway match (i.e. the spectacle that they are paying to go and see and don't give a toss about the Ulster match).

Strange post.

Surface looks great in that pic! And glorious sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Backs look a little loose at times and we've been struggling with the shawl as per usual, but coming back into it. Hope we can up the tempo in the 2nd half as I think Galway will have another purple patch.

Absolute muck being played now. Can't score, relying on frees to keep us in it. Why we are persisting with a hand passing game against a shawl is a mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

There was plenty Mayo people dismissing the league final as they reckoned attention was fully on the Galway game. After today it's clear that Mayo are just a very poor team at the moment. Supporters need to stop with the excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fairly clueless it must be said. Loose at the back and nothing going forward.

Questions might be allowed to be asked soon enough.

Tim O’Leary is shooting his load

https://twitter.com/timoleary1977?s=21

Well done Galway

Listened on the radio, sounded like things went downhill after Oisín went off. Very disappointing, has a feel of 2018 about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Seemed like the team was playing on muscle memory and not much else in terms of a plan. Galway were much better value than a 1 point win.

Maybe sour grapes but I though the ref should have called Galways time wasting, especially on kickouts. The sin bin rule is pointless if the penalised team spends half of it getting treatment

Hard to blame them, every team will do it when they’re down a man and can waste time like that. It’s a flaw in the rules that allows it.

Fair play to Galway, they had their shooting boots with them. We had 12 wides to their 3, and we scored 16 points from 32 attempts compared to their 15 scores from 24 attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When you are missing first choice players at goalkeeper, half back line, midfielder, full forward line and you lose another infulencial player in the game then you are going to be a poorer team and that in itself is a fairly valid excuse

The way the season has gone thus far most well informed fans are very realistic about their chances.

Missing Harry from the Full back line too. Arguably we’re missing first choice players from every line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The injuries are no surprise.

Yes, they're going to have a big impact but at the same time, we've a strong and experienced squad there.

What do most managers do when understrength? They tend to adjust to the circumstances and make sure their team is hard to beat...

I thought the manner of the Kerry defeat would have been enough to have a look at ourselves defensively. Bad enough that Kerry walked through us but criminal that Galway were allowed to do the same weeks later.

There's no plan B, but it'd be daft to expect one at this stage I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Galway are bad. They're way off being a contender. They play like headless chickens, running into contact and the tackling is awful, shot selection is terrible. There were some nice team play scores but overall, they just lack quality and composure of the top teams.

Crazy really that Mayo had scored 11 points in 63 minutes but then scored 5 points in the next 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

It's stuff like this that won't help. A bit of honesty for starters. Some of other boardsies above are far more honest and realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Well if Galway are that bad doesn't say much fo Mayo. Their shot selection is so much better than Mayo's.

Just awfully disappointing, we had 32 chances but converted half, that is incredibly poor. Spillane is right "insanity is doing the same thing but expecting a different result"

I don't care who is on the field, a top team should be converting 70% at least. Not very hopeful going through the qualifiers as we'll have to beat a lot of top teams and given injuries, do we have the panel for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've been realistic about this teams All Ireland chances since after the game v Kerry in Tralee that they only lost by a point.

I posted about it on this thread.

Even setting injuries aside (and I still maintain that there is a problem with our strength and conditioning), we are lacking the personel, particularly up front, and the tactics are a mess. We could hardly score yesterday, and it wasn't helped by the lack of fast, direct ball. Our play is one dimensional and very predictable. It's easy to defend against. Our tackling also seems to have regressed. Adding to that, we have several starters completely out of form (Matthew Ruane had another abysmal day in the middle yesterday).

I really do think a malaise is becoming evident. Previously reliable players are out of form, some look disinterested in winning, most don't even look like they're enjoying their football.

I have a lot of respect for what Horan has done for the football culture in the county, but his limitations as a manager are clear. It doesn't appear that any learnings were taken from the league, where the same problems were evident.

The lack of pace and dynamism in attack is very concerning.

Time and time again we were in possession around the 45 and then making poor choices....hand-passing a ball 5 yards to a fella standing still surrounded by Galway lads is never going to end well.

There was zero movement from the forwards so hard to fully blame the ball carriers...seems like a full system malfunction.

The injuries account for some of the loss of form and potency for sure but there's definitely something else amiss for the team to suddenly become so impotent.

Galway weren't hectic either but far more clinical. They were warming up right in front of me and the goal was a carbon copy of one of the routines they spent about 5 minutes doing.

The Galway folk around me in the stand were very jubilant at the final whistle (lots of hi-fives and 2 lads roaring "We're BACK!!") but I wouldn't be confident of them beyond maybe a provincial title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or

Add on more time is the only corrective AFAIK. Nowhere near enough in the first half at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

You " dont care who is on the field"

You have a very limited understanding of how things work.This game was lost for Mayo a few weeks ago when the extent of the injuries were known.Galway are nowhere near as good as i though they were.Wouldn't be surprised if Roscommon beat them. Mayo with a few lads back will go much further in the championship.

Watched the match back last night, depressing enough tbh although as bad as we were, we could very easily have brought it to extra time.

The way we setup made it very easy for Galway - when they won possession, all they had to do was look up and fire a long ball in to Comer or Walsh who had acres of space in front of them to run onto. If we had dropped someone (Plunkett/Coen) into the space between the 45 and the D, it would have made it much harder for Galway.

The 3 x frees Walsh scored from around the 45 were massive, probably the winning of the game for Galway IMO.

The black card was never a black card, poor call from the linesman; that and the missed double hop from Carr was a 3 point gain for us.

Our forwards barely seemed to play off each other at all, it was mostly individual plays that lead to scores rather than good interplay.

It's a long way back from here although I don't thnk any of the problems are unfixable. Interesting that due to the format this year, if we successfully make it through the qualifiers, we won't have played any extra games than if we came straight albeit we're subject to the lottery of the qualifiers draw. Overall though, it's hard to see us making much impact this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Very disappointing performance overall. No ideas up front and constant hand passing across the field and running the ball. Galway knew the way Mayo were going to play and Mayo hadn't a plan B. Galway swallowed up the mayo runners down the middle every time. They had obviously watched the video from the All Ireland final and know were going to run it. Mayo were too slow moving the ball up the field. Looking for the easy hand pass every time. Saying that shooting let us down at times and the injuries obviously did have an effect. Galway are no great shakes either and Roscommon will fancy their chances in a Connacht Final. The six week break will do Mayo no harm now.

• Advertisement

Agreed that the break will do us no harm, hopefully have some players back.

Durcan was a massive loss

I thought after the Dublin game that Horan might have learned to kick it in early sometimes but either the players aren't being told to do it or the inside forwards aren't making the runs, probably both.

Horan has done a massive amount for Mayo football so I wouldn't be scorching the earth talking about him but he has shown no ability to learn from mistakes or to mix it up, its Plan A or Plan A. When Padraic Joyce is out-tacticing you you're in big trouble

Advertisement