Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think it could depend on how the Russians are able to define 'Russian soil' to their own people. If they're able to define it as occupied regions which Ukraine, backed by NATO, try to retake, then that's the danger. Not that we should really accommodate Russia's views on what is otherwise internationally-recognised as 'not Russia', but just to remind ourselves where they seem to be at, psychologically.

The current Russian position seems to be that Ukraine isn't even a real country, or one that only exists due to Russia's prior beneficence. To those who accept that view in Russia, I don't think it'd take much to make the leap to Russia is being attacked if/when Ukrainian forces, backed by NATO, make big gains in occupied regions. If Ukrainian forces were, for example, able to drive the Russians out of Kherson, I'd have to think the Russians would really drive the sabre-rattling to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sigmar Gabriel, ex Vice Chancellor and served as Foreign Minister under the Merkel regime.

He is threatening to Sue the New York Times for writing about his meetings with Russians Govt officials.

That went well until loads of photos started appearing showing him at lots and lots of meetings and social events.

Including a day out with Matthias Warnig, ex Stasi officer, who worked with Putin in Eastern Germany, targeting financial institutions for spies and was so trusted by Vlad that he sent his daughters to him in the early 90s.

He is the managing director of Nordstream AG. He has long standing connections in the CDU, especially in Pomerania, Merkel's base and the SPD.

This could well be the scandal of the century, for 20 years the top jobs in German Govt have all been for people who were solid and unquestionable servants of Putin's Russia and that's why they advanced up the ladder in their parties.

@[Deleted User] IMO you should delete that reference to your friends or edit post to make them less easily identifiable by Putin's minions. Thinking of their safety. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That last sentence is scary to me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One good thing in this is that the West no longer needs to court Russian public opinion. They are clearly beyond all help and completely enmeshed with Putin himself. This means they can concentrate on defeating Russia militarily and not give a flying fig what the Russian public think about anything. There certainly won't be any revolution from within and a coup is very unlikely.

It does beg the question whether the country can ever be rehabilitated or if it will remain a pariah state for decades to come, irrespective of what happens to Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Daily Telegraph arguing for trade sanctions to be extended to Germany. Crazy on face of it, but sometimes that newspaper reflects the Tory party politicians' thinking on issues.

This is funny when you consider the economic sanctions the Tories have inflicted on Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Responding to your last few lines. I have come to the conclusion that Russians are very passive.

I was looking around the world in repressive regimes and all the revolutions going on in those repressive regimes right now. People do resist in violently oppressive nations and it works in the long term.

I wonder why russians don't worry about the country their grandchildren will live in? If you dont make it better you will make it worse.

Germany is the only significant ally of Putin this side of India and China.

While sanctions won't be applied to Germany, Berlin must be told to change sides and quickly. Who doubt's if a small EU country was the lynchpin in the attempted destruction of another democracy in Europe that sanctions would be the mildest part.

Countries are aware that they are talking to Berlin but it is Moscow that answers.

They lived under Communism for 70 years where even a mild joke was enough to have you disappeared.

Russian troops are putting up Soviet flags and Lenin statues, that is going to shut mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've been watching quite a few vox pop videos from the streets of Moscow and it's striking how many people feel disconnected from what's going on in Ukraine and powerless. It's as if they are not "citizens" of Russia at all, more like tiny, irrelevant cogs in the machine - very much totalitarian state territory. No sense that they feel have any say whatsoever about their country or its future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

All they've known in their history is the boot. First the Romanovs, then the Communists, then the Putinistas. For a brief period, they were giddy with newfound freedoms under Yeltsin, but that only lasted about 5 years and they reverted true to form. They've never cared about their descendants in the past, why start now?

You can't really rely on Moscow voxpops. If I were in Moscow and anybody asked me what I thought about the war in Ukraine, I'd be saying, 'what war, don't you mean the special military operation'. And that beloved Putin is doing a bang up job. You pick your battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

A lot of those Russian separatists are going to end up poor as Russia goes down and they are going to regret their bravado. Seemingly some are becoming disenchanted already.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Russia has something substantial to lose with China , India, and Germany. That’s the argument I was making. And other countries too. But in my opinion they are the big three. If Russia drops a nuke, it will in all likelihood (not guaranteed) lose the support of those countries and the whole deck of cards will quickly collapse.

At the very least those three countries will be heavily sanctioned if they refuse to join sanctions of Russia in such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rte prime time did one this week with a young blogger from st Petersburg,most were happy with strong man Putin , some didn't want to speak about it Younger people for most part

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Austria do not want Ukraine to join the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People on social media talking loudly of boycotting German cars and goods might induce some fear in even bought German politicians.

The fact that Germany still refuses to restart it's nuclear power stations tells you all you need to know, really. They still think the Ukrainians will be defeated soon, I'm sure they will help with that, and the oil and gas and bribes will keep flowing. If they were serious about weaning themselves off Orc hydrocarbons, they would have teams recommissioning those power plants right now. I hope someone blows up Nodstream 1. Ukraine shouldn't be the only ones to feel pain.

Disenchanted? When you have been press-ganged like an Elizabethan sailor, had an AK shoved into your hands, your identity documents and passports confiscated and sent to die on the front, yeah, I'd think so.

They have become the human shields/bullet stoppers that the poorly trained conscripts were in the initial phases.

Being poor will be the lucky ones, the others will all be dead or maimed for life.

• Advertisement

WW2; the German Austrian tag-team still a thing. My father, who took part in WW2, was always wary of Germany and Germans, and while I thought it understandable, I did think that perhaps the reality was that the leopard had changed it's spots and lessons had been learned.

How wrong I was and how right was he.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe this is what Dzoker Dudaev meant when he warned the Russians not to interfere with the Ukrainians, because the rise of the Ukrainian Sun would mean the end of the Russian empire. Slava Ukraine !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Another interesting little insight into the Russian War Machine and the ties with Germany.

The Ukrainians have been putting Russian Tigr IMV 's back into service and we can see a clear example of a Bosch Diesel engine control unit commonly used by these vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The country or IMHO the empire of Russia is so vast(9000 kms wide with eleven timezones, 25,000 kms of coastline and nearly 200 ethnic groups) and the power so concentrated at a top that is very removed from ordinary Russian's experience they're much more likely to feel like cogs in the machine. If they even consider themselves that important, especially beyond the western cities. It would be akin to talking to an average Roman citizen in Gaul about the machinations of Rome herself. IMHO they feel disconnected because they are disconnected.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The EU has strict criteria on governance, corruption and economic suitability for every applicant country - a whole process of reforms they have to go through. It takes years and years.

Ukraine, like any other country, can only join if it's internal affairs are of a high standing.

Short circuiting that process would not be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I've lived in Germany. And at best its a different planet when it comes to the majority of people deciding on doing the right / correct thing given any particular set of circumstances.

For example - go to bakery in any city in Germany and people will climb over to get to the counter before you. No queuing no social niceties of "no please - you go first" or similar. Just plain bloody mindedness of "I want my bread now get out of my way"

Conversely at a pedestrian Junction. You will get a queue 10 people deep waiting for the little grren man and not a soul would dare to walk across the road - even if there wasn't another car for miles.

What's the difference? For one there is a law + fine stating you must not cross the road regardless of any danger - the other there is no law saying you must queue for the bakery so anything goes.

This behaviour is seen in other places. A few years back a group of Germans on a holiday in Europe found an Iron age Stone idol in a remote spot. When they were apprehended by the local police trying to take the object out of the country- they told the police they believed they could do so because there was no specific law against what they were doing.

Now while a lot of that might sound like generalities - in my experience Germans are exemplary when it comes to being law abiding. But give them a situation which requires they make a moral decision and they've little initiative to try and make the right one especially where they make no gain from doing so.

Imo the imports of Russian gas are little different. There's no law to say they shouldn't so they're not going to stop

Only 2 solutions - the first pass an EU wide law against using Russian gas or oil or shame them into it. Personally I don't think the second option will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Something Ukraine has been working on for 20 odd Years, even more so when Russia first invaded 8 years ago,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There was a bit of a snag with Australia's welcome gift of anti tank weapons to Ukraine.

😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

And that's the perfect description of what life was like under communism...everyone was a small powerless cog in "The Machine", controlled 100% by the local politburo, going all the way up to the supreme soviet in Moscow. Psychologically, they were ready made for Putins method of government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement