Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

Nice presentation to Djokovic's ex-coach (Vajda) and his former fitness coach (and some other guys)

15 years and 10 years respectively.

Doesn't seem to be any ill-feeling there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh Wimbledon could be turned into an exhibition event this year if the ATP and WTA decide to not give ranking points for the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Would that mean it wouldn't count as a grand slam event this year?

• Advertisement

Ah I'd say it would be considered a slam. Losing the points would take the gloss off it a bit and give the players a free card not to play Wimbledon and not suffer any points reductions. I am surprised the players haven't come out to say they will not play Wimbledon unless the ban is lifted. It is an absolutely shocking decision by Wimbledon. It makes absolutely no sense.

There may be even less chance of an escape from Alcaraz in a few years

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcxHFhzgQWy/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Raducanu fires Beltz. I'm not sure the problem is the coach if you're going through them at the rate of 3 or 4 a year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61226768

How attractive is this role for the potential next coach you wonder?

Given that the majority of successful players have had longer-term coaching relationships it doesn't stack up so much.

Raducanu stared playing tennis at 5.

Just because her game is fairly limited isn't a given that it will still develop at this age.

Not all players have the capability to become players with every shot in the game like an Alcaraz.

And it's not as if you need a different coach to develop either.

Raducanu's biggest issue for the last while has been inconsistency.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't get to see any tennis the last few days. Swiatek still unstoppable, should be the heavy favourite for RG. The only potential problem with winning too much is fatigue possibly setting in when she'll need her energy the most. Might not be a bad idea to skip one of Madrid or Rome.

Happy Rublev got the job done in Belgrade, and with a lovely bagel to boot 😎 He should savour these moments while he can, he might not get to play a whole lot of tennis in the coming months the way this is going. Already rumblings of Rome potentially banning Russians and Belarusians too.

Djokovic got everything he needed out of Belgrade, bar the title obviously. Four matches and twelve sets played is exactly what he needs right now, I imagine he'll have righted the ship completely after Madrid and Rome. Still expect him and Nadal will be the two to beat in Paris.

• Advertisement

The Raducanu/Beltz news is strange. We don't know what happened yet, maybe it was Beltz who parted ways with her and not the other way around. However, given that Emma's spoken previously of basically getting what she wants from her coach and then dumping them, it's hard not to think it was her/her team's decision. I think she needs to be careful here, she might eventually struggle to get someone to work with her if they know they'll likely get the sack in a few months time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Federer scheduled for the Basel indoors in October. Farewell tour? Play the round of slams, ending with the US in 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Djokovic addressing the "gassing" in the Serbian Open final in the interview afterwards

Plenty of people saying "long covid and good enough for him" but that would most likely be more severe (e.g. wouldn't be playing tennis tournaments and there are indicative blood tests for Long Covid markers now).

On the positive side it only really affected him in the final, not the first round at Monte Carlo

If it persists for him, not going to be a great season in the longer tournaments.

This has never happened, maybe at the beginning of my career. So I think it's related to some disease. The recovery time seems to be longer than I expected. I did not feel bad until the second set. I was happy to get a tie-break. I went out after the medical time-out and I thought I was ready for the third set, but I only had fuel for two or three games. It is not Covid, it is something else. I do not want to go into details, it is not necessary. It has been affecting my body and metabolism for several weeks now. It's a little worrying that I have this feeling on the court because I haven't had it in years. It is a pity that in the third set I was left without energy and I failed to give a bigger fight. Congratulations to Andrey who has been at the top of men's tennis for a long time. All I can say is that I'm tired. I could have dropped out in the first round as well. I have three tough matches behind me in three sets and that will help me continue the season. Although this bad feeling came to me in the fourth match, not in the first one like in Monte Carlo. Paris is the goal and I hope I will be ready.

UK generating the news at the moment, Becker jailed for two and a half years.

Lordy, quite the fall from grace. Expected he won't serve the whole thing, but still.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Expected to serve half of the sentence.

Becker managed to blow a pretty big fortune in fairness and then didn't play very honest with his creditors which landed him in trouble.

Divorces, restaurant-closet-conceived children and many millions put into Nigerian oil firms didn't really help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dan evans won today. Jack draper won. Emma raducanu won in convincing fashion.

Muguruza lost and lost badly this morning. Sakkari lost in three sets. Osaka lost. Fernandez lost.

Raducanu playing quite well on the clay, particularly given it's her second ever tournament at WTA level. She's in a nice section of the draw if she's able to take advantage.

Osaka only got four games against Sorribes Tormo, which isn't too surprising. As we all know clay isn't her best surface, plus she probably hasn't had to deal with that many moonballs since she was a young child. Not much ATP action yet, I presume it gets underway properly tomorrow.

Meanwhile in Estoril and Munich, Sebastian Baez and Holger Rune won their first titles respectively.

In other news, Nadal has come out in opposition to the Wimbledon ban of Russian and Belarusian players. Fair play to him, I'd have thought that's a question he'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thiagos

Raducanu hammering of Kostyuk is a decent result. She clearly has a lot of talent. Not a decent result for the Raducanu haters haha. Does anyone remember last year when she won the US open without dropping a set , that was nuts.

Jabeur can't miss in this match against Bencic. Even shots that look to be going out are going in.

She lost the second set 6-3 and she’s 1-0 up the third.

I see that Andy Murray has come out against the Wimbledon ban on Russian and Belarusian players.

The Wimbledon ban is one of the worst decisions ever. No need for it. I wish the players would take a stand against Wimbledon to have this reversed.

Ons Jabeur wins in three sets against Belinda Bencic and will play the winner of Halep and Gauff which should be starting soon.

I think it’s a terrible decision and very unfair on players who may have families in both countries and who are probably against the war in private but can’t say it in public.

Halep breaks and is serving for the first set.

Watched Jabeur earlier and she couldn't miss in the first set, lost focus in the second and was back on song in the third.

• Advertisement

Andy Murray wins straight sets against Dominic Thiem 6-3 6-4 and had nice encouraging words for Thiem who’s coming back from wrist surgery. I have to say that was a classy thing to do because Murray knows all about it.

Advertisement