Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Clearly you don't like Joyce for some reason. He improved the defence for this match, second choice goalie, the kick outs were always going to be a problem. We won without playing particularly well. Mayo are a spent force. One trick pony.

Some reason?.

Were the most underprepared team of any of the contenders.

It's unacceptable for a county who has the players to win an AI to be unprepared tactically.

Watching Galway teams for nearly 10 years now have no idea where they're going to put a kick out. It was a clear problem under KW and it should have been the first thing he worked on if he analysed the team he was taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭threeball

Why are you giving him credit for scraping over a spent force and one trick pony. Theres a great group of players there but he's not giving them the tools to fulfill that potential. Decimated yet again on kickouts and had mayo woken up 5mins earlier we'd be going home with a loss. There's better teams than Mayo out there, that can actually kick the ball over the bar and press a kickout and we won't beat any of those.

We should have beaten mayo in the last two years, year before last we had no match going into the game and beaten by a point after Kelly taken down with a professional foul. Last year they did a hatchet job on Shay Walsh, Sean Kelly injured and finnerty. He didn't have a whole pile of luck. Forget about club football politics and support the county

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

A great victory all the same, credit where it is due.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is using club politics to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

Super stuff. Big players really stood up and were counted in the second half. Conroy, Comer Walsh and Heaney. Conroy will go down as one of our best ever.

As an aside, loads to work on. Obviously Gleeson is only in because of injury but still, we simply cannot win games giving up that much possession from restarts. It's amazing we actually did win considering. It's just not good enough to even think about being a contender.

On the plus side for Joyce etc, his tactics from open play outside of the restarts were spot on. Bottle Mayo up at the 45 line and break quickly

Ref was no help to us either. A nonsense black card given to us and none given for the mayo drag down in the second half. Take out the injury time jitters and those decisions and it was a comfortable win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nonsense? It was a clear black card as was the other one which for some reaosn wanst given

All of the Sunday game, twitter and radio says it wasn't a black card in 100 years. So whatever you thought you saw was wrong id say somehow pal.

Clear mayo drag down in the second half and not even a card given, never mind a black.

Mayo living on easy frees. Thankfully Cillian thought he had Shane Walshs class and tried kick one with his bad foot. You can teach buying soft black cards but you can't teach that Cillian unfortunately

Take your beaten, our lads will show ye how to win the big one like we did in 1998 after ye failed to deliver in 1996 and 1997 (twice).

• Advertisement

I was talking about a clear, well actually two clear black cards, ive no issue with the result, if you are looking for a childish spat, look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

A very good win I thought. Barring calamity against Leitrim, Galway are now a game away from having secured promotion to division one, a Connacht title and an All Ireland semi final. Roscommon will be tough and it’s a 50-50 game I say but if they do win that, vast majority of supporters would have snapped your hand off if offered that in January.

Definitely room for improvement, particularly with kickouts, Flaherty will help a lot in that regard, when is he due back?

There’s plenty to be positive about too however, especially the defensive improvement.

Never a black card in a million years. O Connor clearly stepped across his run to cause the collision. O Connor has form for it too. Better off concentrating on why ye haven't produced a decent forward line in 40 years than focusing on black cards that never existed.

Did he? Fair enough i was at the game, haven't seen the replay yet

I was at the game, I saw it, never a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Good win... Full back line really improved since the rossies game... Credit to Joyce and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Rossies will be very tough to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

A beautiful day to win in castlebar on there new shiny pitch.

I'm sure theyre happy with the result.

Far less likely to beat Mayo based on past performances versus both Galway and Mayo.

When did Roscommon last beat Mayo?. I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Galways winning record in Castlebar is a bit strange, haven't lost there since 2014 IIRC.

Another weird one is Galway haven't played Leitrim since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Roscommon last beat Mayo in 2019. In Castlebar.

But you're right about Roscommon's general record v Mayo. It's terrible, whereas they don't fear Galway, even when Galway are strong.

• Advertisement

Didn't remember it off hand, but it answered my follow up question... "Roscommon end 33 year wait" says the first article on it, so quite the stretch before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

A win. Well done PJ. Well done Galway.

Not perfect but we're on the road. Jesus men, enjoy it.

The 33 year wait was for a win in Castlebar.

Roscommon's previous win over Mayo was in 2001.

Still not great.

Our biggest problem is we always take them lightly. We think Connaught is won once we beat Mayo then get caught out by Roscommon. Its been the case as long as I remember. Even 98 after taking Mayo in Castlebar our All Ireland nearly never happened when we should have been beaten in the pissíng rain in Tuam.

I totally agree.

It's the same lack of respect for Roscommon in the clueless national media that drives me insane.

They consistenly know next to nothing about Roscommon or their players and speak in cliches when discussing them - case in point being Gooch recently after the Galway win saying "Roscommon have finally found forwards which has been a problem". Huh? Forwards have been the only area Roscommon haven't had problems with in the last 7-8 years. It was everywhere else that was the problem.

I also remember a preview of a Roscommon championship match in the Irish Independent back in the late 90s which stated that Roscommon were still too reliant on Derek Duggan for scores. Duggan hadn't played for Roscommon in over two years at that stage!

Galway fans seem to feed into this lack of knowledge too, which is why it's quite refreshing to see a number of posters here saying Roscommon will be a tough match. That's assuming Roscommon will be there, which they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I fully agree with @Avon8 in that Paul Conroy is probabaly our best player overall since 2001. I've seen Joyce, Meehan, Shane Walsh et al from FBD to AI semis but Conroy is an absolute leader. To come back from a double leg-break to become even better is crazy.

I wonder was he fully fit today, he was great, but if you look at all his points and attempts at points he wasn't following through on the kick. He seemed to be chopping it short which isn't like him. He's normally a very smooth striker of the ball.

The one they spent all the money on to suit their running game and make it like croke park where they are so successful. Great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Has taken a while to come down from that!! Delighted for players (especially PC). Comer showed massive leadership today. Covered every blade grass, showed well for kickouts and added on attack when he could. Shane was imperious from frees and his mazy runs kept them thinking. O'Laoi made some silly mistakes but his black card was a joke. His hard running kept us tight at the back. 1-1 from Heaney. Hard running, great scores and again added massively to the defensive unit.

Defence was strong. Of course silly mistakes were made but this was a step up from division 2 games. Resolute. Tough. Stuck to their tasks well.

Kickouts. Going long is a tactic. Like it or not this was a decision the management made. Maybe wrong. But I don't think it makes them clueless. I think a better kickout plan is needed but any hope of that died with Fla being injured.

To go deeper into this. For me Mayo have two very strong traits. Hard running backs with great support runners and pressing from the front. So for me Galway by going short would of been playing into Mayos second strongest trait. I remember watching Kerry vs Mayo in the league game (not final) and the pressure Mayo forwards put Kerry under was unreal. Not sure our backs could handle it. Even today John Daly took a short one got bottled up and we were lucky it didn't end in a goal. Going long was obviously deemed the less destructive option and Galway only ended up with 60% of their kickouts. Obviously needs to improve but I can still understand the rationale.

Lots to work on. Now have promotion to division one. Beaten Mayo and hopefully overcome Leitrim to be back in a Connacht Final.

• Advertisement

His scoring rate is actually obscene for a midfielder. I've said before that he must be the highest scoring midfielder ever rate wise bar maybe Fenton. He's probably passed out Fenton's rate in the last 2 years and he's playing in a team that scores far less overall. 2-3 points average from play would be excellent from a corner forward, never mind an 8. And that's not even mentioning that none of his scores are soft, they're usually top class kicks from range.

Thats aside from his other qualities, top class vision and kickpassing, good fetching and great leadership. He's cut out the silly mistakes and inconsistency that stopped him from being top class when he was in his 20s. He's certainly top class now

Advertisement