Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

My Benelli went to it's new home this morning. Today was the first time I actually used it for work (I drive a lot) so I did about 2.5 hours on it before meeting the new owner. I actually really enjoyed it. It was hard going, using it on the motorway though. Bit of a headache after that, to be honest. Would I be right in saying that all bikes (with a windscreen on the front or not) will have the same thing? My chest felt okay (the screen on the Benelli is non-existent) but I felt like i really had to 'push' my head forward/straight. Needed some headache tablets when I got home.

Is this something that you just get used to, and as such there's no point trying to counteract it with a bike with a screen on it? Or do those screens actually help?

Either way, the Benelli was a great little bike for me, didn't give me any real issues, and had it been able to get a full A I'd have kept it. Now that I've sold it, I'm actually sitting here thinking, from looking at bikes online, do I even really need a full A. Lots of stuff that looks decent doesn't require it. I think I just want it 'incase'.

I'm looking on Donedeal at the moment, and my only "essential" criteria is that it has to be an A bike (so I can use it during the test for a full A license). But I'm flip-flopping between an 'adventure' style bike (a 2016 650cc Suzuki V-Strom)

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-2016/30879488?campaign=3

or another sports bike similar to what I already had (a 2018 700cc Yamaha MT07).

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-mt07-2018/30969348

(EDIT: So hyperlinking doesn't work anymore?)

Not sure what direction to go though. I predict the smaller looking MT07 would be easier for navigating traffic, but then although it looks bigger, I'm sure the V-Strom is just as nimble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Oh... is it not?

Mr. Google tells me it's 50.4kw and 0.32 power to weight, both of which exceed the A2 limits? (above 35kw and 0.2 kw/kg)?

Perhaps I'm going wrong somewhere?

EDIT: Link that Google took the info from: https://bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_v-strom_650_abs_2016.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thats the exact bit of kit I ordered from the UK. Working fine so far.

Jayz sorry lad. Last time I looked they weren't or else my memory is faulty. I stand corrected.

Thats a €50 fine, so. Never admit you're wrong.

Seriously though, I genuinely don't know! So I'm always happy to be corrected (before I actually buy something).

For all I know the specs I was looking at belong to a different version of the bike or there's some other reason that the bike doesn't qualify, etc. So I've no issue with being told I'm wrong about this kinda stuff.

... Although, looking at more bikes, I see a Kawasaki Z650, which is 650cc and has a power output of 50.2 (way above the 35 limit for A2). Although I can't find the power/weight ratio, I'd assume this would be way above the A2 and clean into A category based on the kw output alone.

However, the ad says it is an A2. So you could possibly be right about the V-Strom @PCeeeee.

They make it awkward enough!

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/kawasaki-z650/30902094

A2 for something like the Z650 means it's the restricted version.

Unless I'm wrong, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Give Mervyn in Bray Honda on Monday a call he will see you right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

I,m bias, but I,d take the vstrom any day, great for filtering in traffic and plenty of power on the main road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Current Class list for RSA but I would imagine you would prob still need too provide proof of output

But handy if you just want to see what is classed as an A

For instance my Kawasaki Versys is 650cc but only 35KW so did not qualify and I had to rent a Honda CB600F i think it was and had to show the cert during the test

https://www.rsa.ie/services/learner-drivers/resources/motorcycle-categories

I've seen that list, alright. The only V-Strom on it is the 1,000cc, though. All I've been doing so far is working off the assumption that anything 650cc or higher would qualify, and then googling the kw and weight to figure out the specs (although, the issue of course is that there are lots of different versions, years, etc. of the same bikes, so it makes it a tad awkward to trust them).

The proof of output thing is really annoying. You'd think these details would be stamped somewhere on the underside of the bike or something, as part of the manufacturing process. Was there not someone on here recently saying Honda wouldn't issue them a certificate of conformity cos they were too busy (I might be getting that story wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was something to that effect).

But anyway.. rambling aside. I've been looking at this V-Strom

but in the same search also came across a Yamaha TDM900. Which seems, to me, to be better suited to me than the V-Strom (things like it displaying a digital speed in km/h, has heated grips, is 3 years newer and is the same price). So I'm leaning towards that instead of the V-Strom. Online reviews seem to think it's an alright bike, too, which helps.

But then I'm also thinking that I might not like the "adventure" style of bike and be happier on the 'sports' bike, which has me looking at two Kawasaki's, a 2018 650cc (for €6,500)

and a and a 2012 1000cc (private seller so hoping to get it closer to €6,500 also)

All the above seem to be A bikes, I'm not sure if my insurance may give me grief for a 1000cc bike. Thing is; I'm hoping that whatever I buy, I'll have for the next 10+ years, so really trying to get it right, which just makes it all the more stressful, haha. Was really hoping to not spend more than €6,500 either. I'm all over the shop.

I feel bad about the prospect of arranging to meet someone to look at their adventure bike, and just not really liking it and having wasted their time altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Went and visited the TDM900 this evening. Had a lookover and a small test ride. Have agreed to collect it in the morning.

It's very different to the Benelli BN251 (obviously) but it seems really well taken care of and like it'll be a bit of fun to ride about on. I'm surprised at just how physically larger it is than the BN251.

I believe my insurance will go up by about a grand.

Well good luck with it, I wish I kept my own one.

• Advertisement

We could have raced them and had picnics and everything. Missed opportunity. Haha :-)

The chap selling it seems absolutely lovely. Really genuine fella. Something he has on the bike, that I didn't even know was a thing, is an "oiler". Like a little bottle mounted on the handlebar, you give it a twist and it oils the chain as you go. Seems very handy. The bike in general seems really nice though. I'll be keen to bring it on a proper little spin and see how I feel.

At least my 'A' worries are (partially) sorted. Just need to see now if the logbook lists KW output or if I need to start tracking a certificate of conformity.

As ever, thanks to everyone on here for any and all advice, suggestions and thoughts.

Best of luck with the new motor :-)

Might have been best to ask to see the reg cert to confirm output but easy for me to say

When your on the spot things can move quite quickly :-)

Anyway hope you have loads of luck and fun on the new bike

Ride safe

J

Someone posted on here recently that a bike shop gave them a cert of conformity (the bike shop mentioned isn't a main dealer as far as I know, RPM in Drogheda, but it's not too far from me) so I was hoping they'd be able to sort me out. I thought it had to be a main dealer, but if it's a case that any random bike shop can type up a letter saying "this has 10kw output and a power to weight ratio of 10" then that makes life a lot easier.

Especially as I'm used to using Photoshop. (just a joke..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

My bike had the wrong info in the VRC so I emailed Danfay (main Yamaha dealer for Ireland as far as I know (info@danfay.ie) with the details of the bike (chassis number etc) and photos and they sent me back the cert of conformity as a PDF - no charge. Might be worth a shot if the VRC doesn't have the correct info (more than likely!) and you want to use the bike for the test.

Well wear!

I may well do that, yeah.

I checked the logbook this morning when collecting the bike and it's just listed as 555555 on the power output. Silly stuff. Bet if I put my 2ltr car down as 1ltr I'd have the Gardai, Revenue, Council, and Pre-Pay Power at my door. But if Shannon aren't bothered then it's tough luck and you can sort it out yourself. Frustrating.

Only issue I'm having with the bike is that I find there's too much 'free play' in the throttle. I've about half an inch of nothingness, which is kinda throwing me off a bit. I've been told to check the cable to adjust it, so I'll have a mooch at that shortly and see can I figure it out. Other than that, I'm liking it. It's a very large bike, though (compared to the Benelli that I was used to.. and sort of miss!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Acquiescence

What's your insurance costing?

It works out around €1,200 for the year. Keep in mind this is my first bike policy though, and I'm on a Learner permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stiff and sore today, Came off yesterday on my way to work.

Knocked out for a while but gear all did its job and I am in good shape physically.

Helmet and Suit are toast, Chaser V performed excellently.

Bystanders were pretty good as well, didn't move me and waited around until I regained conciousness.

Bike needs a bit of care but not a write off, just have to get some parts.

Looking at the suit, helmet and gloves if there was no armour in the hip/knee/shoulder I would be in pretty bad shape.

Gloves had a graze on the knuckles but nothing on the palms.

Helmet had a lot of damage on the back and side.

My Takeaway: Always Wear the gear even when you think you don't need it.

I don't ride fast or push the limits but a pothole in the middle of the road while braking ended up in a highside and me KO'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jaysis, glad you're OK and here to tell the tale.

Be sure to contact the council, if the pothole had been reported already they could be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Ouch glad you are feeling better, take it easy for a while, Must have been a fair whack to knock you out for a few minutes.

Would you have reason to claim if the pothole caused it?

New gear, helmet, bike parts will all add up.

As said

Glad your ok

Must have been quite a bang to knock you out

Hope you and the bike recover soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭goblin59

Glad you're ok! I went into the side of a car on Sunday because they cut across me, to park on the other side of the street, as I was overtaking slow traffic in Dublin.

I was out with an insurance investigator yesterday and he was saying the exact same thing to me, proper gear all the time as even at low speeds can make a difference.

For anyone with a policy from Axa or underwritten by Axa, their investigator is a great guy btw. Very calm and knows exactly what he is doing and thorough.

We had a good chat about different motorcycles afterwards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭geotrig

glad your ok dude, had been out the other day for a spin and was thinking about dodgey roads ,i wont say potholes ,but damage in some and the potential issues we could face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the messages of support.

It must have been a good bang alright, helmet looks like it had a good battle with the road anyway.

I didn't buy Gear insurance from CN the last time but I will next time.

I am just in the door, had to go back over and recover the bike which was parked in a ruined houses driveway.

I rode it back, slowly and its running 100% Missing footpeg made it hard to ride but apart from cosmetic stuff its fine.

I'll take my time and gather the bits I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GWS - glad you walked away.

• Advertisement

Horrible thing to hear happen to anyone. As others have said, make sure to say it to the Council. Also be sure to get back there and take photos of the pothole and such before it disappears.

Glad you're alright and able to post here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is what happens when tech companies try to make vehicles. Idiots.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jeez, I dunno if you can blame the bike for that though..... I once saw a girl do that on a Honda 90, and when she fell off (in the driveway, within 1m of where she started..), she wouldn't let go the throttle and the bike was on it's side revving it's head off...... poor thing.

the Honda, that is :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It's simple, if the bike is turned on (or wakes up) with a non-zero throttle input it should do nothing until the throttle is released and turned again. Automatic bikes with an engine require a brake to be held before they'll start, manual bikes the clutch.

Scrap the cap!

got my new top yoke in the post.

How BMW thought the 4mm steel was a good topyoke I've no idea!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 670 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

While I stopped for a coffee at my favourite spot one of these pulled up. Such a cool looking thing in a kinda retro 80's way.

I'm sure it's plenty strong enough, just doesn't look the best!

Scrap the cap!

they were known for flexing on corners unfortunatly. the Bike was great in straight lines, but on twisties apparently it handled badly. The toastertan top clamp is one of the top upgrades you can do to this bike for handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Acquiescence

5-O were everywhere this morning. I must have seen 6+ Roads Policing cars fairly well off the beaten track.

Granted they were all in transit but it's not great for the old anxiety all the same.

If you are a compliant citizen you will have nothing to fear 😬

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have noticed the increase in road patrols myself over the weekend. Saturday morning was the first patrol on my road I have seen in nearly 2 years! I thought there was something going down in a nearby village.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭H_Lime

An award for effectively demonstrating d = r x t?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 670 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Gah came out to a flat tyre this morning. What does one do in this situation? Call a tyre dude to call out? First bike flat tyre

Get it pumped and bring it somewhere.

Having a kit would be handy for these type situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

Bit mean that, not condoning it but speeding on a motorway isn't exactly a capital offence.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Germany is super anal retentive about motoring laws but it'd be legal there...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement