Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

Clare trail 2-5 to 0-4 at HT in the Munster minor football championship to Limerick and its the Shannonsiders that will have the strong breeze at their backs for the second half. Not trying to be critical, but this crop of Clare minor footballers have had very poor challenge match performances in the lead up to this year's provincial championship. Do also think that Dermot Coughlan the manager might have overstayed his time as banisteoir. He is a very good coach but no harm in changing things up, especially after our poor showing against Limerick last year in Ennis.

FT Limerick 2-8 Clare 0-9

Massive game v Tipp next Thursday at Shannon so then for the Clare minor footballers. Win that and very likely we will be in the phase one final of the Munster Minor football championship. Just never got going at all in Rathkeale this evening. At least we outscored Limerick 0-5 to 0-3 against the stiff breeze for the second half, which should give the lads plenty of encouragement for the Tipp game. But overall a disappointing performance. That's the second year in a row that Limerick have beaten us at minor level too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

James Owens as referee for Sunday !

James Owens appointed as referee for Clare vs Tipp - Clare Echo

Surely to feck the GAA would have a bit more cop on than to appoint the same fella again following the massive controversy last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Should probably get the team tonight. The Clare Champion are reporting that Aron Shanagher is out for this weekend.

So I imagine Shane O'Donnell does come straight into the starting line-up. Unless possibly Ian Galvin, although he has had his own injury difficulties this year. I'm thinking 8-15 will be some combination of J. McCarthy, Malone, Duggan, Fitzgerald, Taylor, Meehan, SOD and Kelly.

The conundrum for Lohan is we don't really have many inside forwards except Meehan. SOD was playing very well in the 2021 league from right wing forward before that freak injury. I also think Kelly is better out the field versus Tipp, where his pace can cause them problems. I taught last year putting him up there beside Cathal Barrett played into Tipp's hands. Duggan may be the guy to play on the edge of the square on Sunday, as Lohan always likes a target man, but Duggan has never played his best hurling there.

both Duggan and O'Donnell starting is a bit worrying.

It's one thing playing well in challenge games or training, another in championship.

Also, our forward line needs to play as a unit, which is very difficult if we constantly have to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'd start Duggan and Shane O Donnell every day they are fit. We aren't blessed with a large squad. Is Shane Meehan carrying a knock.? Shangaher is abit of a loss but he only has about 2 good games a season anyway so maybe he'll produce later on in the year if we are still in it.

I dont have any faith that we ll beat Cork in Thurles . We never seem to get one over on them and they play us with total confidence. I'd also hope that Limerick are qualified for the Munster final before the match in Ennis and they rest a few players.

Tipperary are vulnerable after last weeks good performance from them in Waterford. They are no world beaters and I feel if we start fast and not let them settle then we ll be in fine fettle. My fear is we ll stand off them for the first 10 mins and they ll go 1-3 up and keep us at arms length from then on. If we lay into them from the first whistle and the full back line perform..(Tipp will gp after us there with Morris et Al.) Then I think we ll win by 3 or 4 points . Fingers crossed

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

There are alot of unknowns with our attack no doubt. Not even just Duggan and O'Donnell, Meehan will be making his debut at senior championship. I imagine Jason MaCarthy and David Fitzgerald will be playing midfield and centre forward, both players have started in the championship for Lohan but have struggled and haven't been able to nail down starting spots. I think though to be fair to McCarthy and Fitz, they will have earned their starts. I think McCarthy will have a similar role like he did versus Limerick with Lynch in the league, and have responsibility for the centre forward drifting out. Noel McGrath still pulls the strings for Tipp in their attack.

I would still give us a good chance though on Sunday if we can settle early on. I'm ok with our rear-guard, were returning the same goalie and backline that played fairly well last year and I think the match-ups with Tipp's forwards are ok. But with these injuries to particularly Rodgers and A. McCarthy but also Shanagher and Reidy in attack, can we hit a good enough score to win will be the question for us imo.

As long as Tony Kelly can score 15-20 points, then we should be OK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm hearing that SoD has put on a lot of bulk and is looking like a midfield option with Duggan at full forward, I'd imagine whatever team is named tonight will have a number of changes come throw in anyway.

That's an interesting one with SOD. I prefer SOD out the field nowadays anyway. He was the ability to turn, run and give the pass that can cause teams problems. If Liam Cahill was our manager, he would definitely play him out the field. He looked good at half forward at the start of the league last year.

As for Duggan, it feels like him at full forward is there out of necessity. In his all-star year in 2018, he started off at full forward and was ineffective the first day out against Cork. Then moved to right half forward and was outstanding for the rest of the season. It's always been his best position. Tipp's half backs were very dominant aerially in the first half versus Waterford, so I would prefer him on the 40. But I suppose, the way I'm talking here, we will be playing a Shane Meehan one man full forward line lol!

• Advertisement

“Look Shane, I know it’s your championship debut. But if you could just play the 1-man-full-forward-line role, that’d be great”

Clare team v Tipp:

Quilligan

Hayes - Cleary - Flanagan

Ryan - Conlon - McInerney

Golden - Malone

Taylor - Kelly - Fitzgearld

Duggan - Meehan - I. Galvin

Be interesting to see if this is the starting team.

No Jack Browne would be a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Any one know what's the story about Shane Meehan not playing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Hamstring in the warmup probably

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mighty win but hard to get over excited given just how bad tipperary were , they only managed 0-7 points in the first half and went nearly 10 minutes in the second without a score after the browne goal , we gifted them a second and gave them every chance to get back into the game but they were no where near the races today

rory hayes had a super game as did paul flanagan , we will need them to be as good next week against that cork forward line , taught conlon had a fine game at 6 and shane o'donnell was excellent in the half forward line ,mounsey acquitted himself well after being thrown in at the last minute ,

we looked flat at times in the second half but should great fight to kick on again in the last ten minutes , theres more in the likes of kelly duggan and ian galvin too who all had good games too , but hard to know exactly what we beat just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

As bad and all as Tipperary are and they are terrible, we gave them a hat full of chances. They left a couple of goals out there. I dont think Corl will be as generous. But overall it was a very promising performance. Corner backs were good. Half backs were om,not spectacular. Diarmuid Ryan and McInerney have a tendency to over play the ball but they ll improve.

Ian Galvin really doesn't have 70mins in him after a great start. SHane O Donnell was selfless and excellent. And Tone Kelly will hardly be as quiet again.

You would expect even a second string Limerick to beat Tipperary im the Gaelic Grounds and if we do need points in the last game it ll be easier with Limerick qualified. I actually think we can make a Munster final here

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Its a win, can't read too much into it, Tipp were dire, on a day when they really should have put them to the sword and accumulate a good points difference in the round robin table, lets hope that doesn't come back to haunt them,

totally agree , i do think both duggan and galvin have only 1 half in them yet , david mc got badly caught for the first goal , ryan is good but wouldnt rave about him today he will have better days against the likes of limerick or cork i feel, lohan has his stamp on the full back line in fairness , you would have been reluctant to start them 3 in a league game a few years back

we gave them every chance to get back into the game , in fairness alot of them goal chances were well defended by the inside backs my worry would be the half forward line in the second half i think we nearly went twenty minutes at one stage without wining a breaking ball in that area of the field ,there is plenty of video work to be done ,but after such a comfortable win in the end thats only a good thing

two things in fairness , 1 Heffernan got a complete pox of a goal which would have had us a double figure win , two we scored 10 points against that strong wind in the second most from play i dont think we could have mustard up too much more in the scoring ranks

if it comes down to score difference after wining by 8 points on the road today it will be other fixtures that will cost us , we said it all year a win in thurles and a win in ennis should be enough to get us through ,but if we win next week we will have one foot in the next round

• Advertisement

It was great to see Shane O'Donnell and Peter Duggan back for Clare. Both were hugely influential. SOD is such a joy to watch in that sort of form, that catch and pass to Mounsey was the moment of the game. Duggan was a real handful on the edge of the square and we used him right.

I taught Conlon was MOTM actually to be honest. Won a tonne of ball and drove out with it well. Davy Mc also had one of his best days in a Clare shirt in years, and showed his confidence with an inspirational point there in the second half. We've quite a settled backline now that's been playing well this past 12 months. Hayes is an outstanding corner back.

Tipp were horrendous, but there's alot of positives for Clare, particularly the return SOD and Duggan imo. We need to work on our shooting though, this has been something that has hurt us in the past. My main worry though is this mounting injury list. I don't know how bad Meehan's hamstring is, but were getting very threadbare now with forwards (Meehan, Rodgers, McCarthy, Reidy, Shanagher all out today). Infairness Mounsey and Galvin did put in a shift for us.

This win and score difference puts us in a good position now. With Waterford losing a game, we won't be out of the championship until the final round of the Munster championship. And we have Cork in Thurles next week and two home games. Plenty to look forward to!

Correct, as it did in 2019. Though, it was through the hammerings we took to Tipp and Limerick that cost us. Very important for Clare that we play 3 tight games versus Cork, Limerick and Waterford, and winning one of them (at least). That would see us through most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Great to see stalwarts like Duggan, Conlan and SoD on form. Some great scores mixed with some very poor shooting.

Tipp certainly feeling the loss of recent big name retirements, headed for a rebuilding phase.

dont tell me Meehan has pulled a hamstring, ?

yep probably out for the rest of the group , thats why i think mounsey did so well he had no prep for it , when you have a lad coming off the bench as first sub from Michael Cusack's in football things are bad but in hurling christ!! .....😉🤣 we are at the bare bones now completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

I presume McMahon plays hurling with Tubber. You often see Conor Cleary club listed as Milltown in the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hayes was brilliant. Discipline in general was good in defence. Cleary after tough start tightened up the defence. Conlon very good in front of him. Duggan and Galvin very prominent in first half. Kelly drifted out of game in second half too. Shane O'Donnell was class, good to see him back. Only Clare third championship win against Tipperary since beating them twice in 1997.

tubber yeah which i imagine is still a fair track from belharbour or carron , look fair play to him we have had loads of lads win county championships in hurling or hurl under age and never get close to an inter county set up it probably should be celebrated not taken the piss out off

would love to see two amalgamations from north and west clare teams enter the club championship at all age groups to enhance the talent in the county , football will always be strong no matter what in them areas so no fear, be nice to give the younger generation the chance too

Amazing how much bad luck we've had with injuries in the forward line. A lot of our forwards are rusty or not used to 70 mins at championship pace, this game will stand to them.

Big doubts ahead of the game over Duggan and SOD and both played well.

In contrast, the defence has been steady and settled, and it really showed today. Very well organized and showed their experience.

• Advertisement

hayes was fantastic , taught the initial tipperary full forward gave cleary a bit of a run around but he was switched later in the game , flanagan was fantastic , hes a guy 3 or 4 years ago that couldnt make the 30 man panel pure heart

the new formats give us a better chance against the more traditional sides though , and quietly i think thurles is not a plus for tipp to play home championship games as other teams raise their game its like croke park and dublin in the late 90s early 2000s

Advertisement