Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think thats the thing we are missing here in terms of giving oruselves credit , normally we are running to defend ourselves that we were without , aidan mccarthy ,mark rodgers , shane meehan david reidy and aaron shanagher after a loss , so after an 8 point win in thurles this is a super result , but yes slightly tainted by poor management on the tipp sideline and a poor performance to match

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Also, wining a big championship game, while Tony Kelly was kept pretty quiet from play

Cathal Malone also relatively quiet

he scored a serious penalty to be fair when brian hogan had made about 3 serious saves before that , but yeah unlike the two covid championship years he wasnt anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

If we could get Rodgers back sometime this summer, he would be a serious addition to that attack. He would work off Duggan and is excellent at moving into space and tapping over a couple of scores. Meehan could too. That said Galvin and young Mounsey did well today and worked hard off the ball. Its also worth noting that Duggan offered much more as a target man full forward than Shanagher did in any game last year. He really has a physical presence up there that Clare have sorely lacked these past two years.

But it's just a numbers game now. Crotty was brought on at corner forward, but we all know he is a half forward. I think Keith Smyth was brought onto the panel, he was just a sub on the u20s (athough he should have started). Very threadbare now. The thing about it is, we need to beat either Cork, Waterford or Limerick, all of which have serious benches to bring on. We're going to be at a disadvantage I think going into the closing stages of those games. But the Cork game next week is a definitely winnable game next week. Particularly if we can start well in the first half (and were usually good at that these past 12 months).

i am arguing on the cork page that next week could be a bad afternoon for us , i just think they have some excellent inside men plus they could really target david mac's pace in the half forward line ,

my arguement in our favor is we probably wont be beaten in the oppositions 45 next week like we were in the 2nd half today , cork have serious forwards we cant give them the chances we gave tipp today next week

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree. We have to win that middle third and make sure were tracking the runners. We're not Limerick but Lohan has our team very game and hardworking, so hopefully we can get pressure on Cork's short game and create turnovers. I think though having Duggan and SOD back this year will be a big help too. Shanagher was very anonymous last year and I expect Duggan to offer more. But I think we will need to start well to compensate for our light bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Congrats on your win today.

For Duggan and O'Donnell to hurl as well as they did after being out of the game for so long was something special. It sums up the character of the side. Some really good delivery into the forwards too. First match rust gone now, if ye can keep improving the consistency of ball into the forwards ye never know where it could take ye.

sound out !!

look its transition in tipp at the moment and in fairness to bonner hes crossed the county looking for players , be it Carrick on Suir or Portroe but i dont think he is tactually aware as the like of cahill , its almost a sin that he chose waterford over his own county ,

we need to get one back over cork , yeah we beat them in the park back in 19 but last year still hurts in my opinion , i still think we would have done damage had we got over the line and god knows we had the chances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

A quick FYI,

The Cork v Clare game will be streamed on GAAGO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great win for Clare but the second half was abit disappointing when Quiligan kept pumping ball down on the Tipp half backs. Clare were wide open on a few occasions in both the first and second half. Cork would be alot more clinical in taking goal chances. But we certainly owe them a beating.

We really struggle to implement our game plan on Cork but now that we know their weaknesses we should have no excuses. I thought Mounsey was very good,very positive type of guy who plays with a smile on his face. SOD was excellent and there's more in him. Ian Galvin will never be a 70 min player and whilst he scored his goal very professionally his attempts at going for 50/50balls were pathetic in the second half...one handed and with zero aggression. Dungannon was good and the backs were good. Cleary will get himself sent off this year if he keeps doing the silly stuff especially against a team like Cork who will be hungry and try to exploit any temperament issues

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Live draws.. started at 7

https://clare.gaa.ie/clare-gaa-tv-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Senior Football to be redrawn

Statement from Kieran Keating below.

It may be a mistake, but they owned up very quickly, which is new.

"I regret to inform that I now realise that I made an error when conducting the final one of our six championship draws last evening, namely the Senior Football Championship. Before drawing the four seeded teams for the three groups, I pulled one of three canisters to determine which group the fourth seeded team would join; i.e. which group would have two seeded teams. I should have checked my notes, as we had already stipulated in our regulations adopted just last week, that the group of 5 (group 1) must have the 2nd seeded team. The Runai did try to alert me to my error, but as we were live streaming | ploughed on with it, not understanding that we already had this set out in the regulations........... thus the process | applied was out of order.

Accordingly we will take down the details of the SFC draw from our website for the time being and reprocess it properly at the May County Board meeting, scheduled for two weeks time (Tuesday May 10th)

I trust this will not inconvenience our Senior Football Clubs too much and apologies again for my mistake."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Clare minor hurlers got the win v Kerry and now face Cork next week.

it would be some turnaround if we got the win, following the 40 point trimming last year!

The Clare minor footballers trailing 2-6 to 0-5 to Tipp at HT in their final round robin of the Munster minor football championship in Shannon. Looks like we are heading out of the provincial championship after our loss v Limerick last week in Rathkeale.

Clare losing by 10 points and heading out of the Munster minor football championship. Real question marks about our development squads, and our S&C of underage teams. Needs to be a thorough review by all stakeholders in Clare football to ensure that there's no slippage in our underage inter-county teams.

Looks like Shane Meehan won't start versus Cork according to Clare FM.

Its forecasted to be wet on Sunday, which may not suit Cork's short game. Need a strong performance from the lads this weekend, this is a backs-to-the-wall situation for Cork.

Big game this. They have had our number for years now. A win this weekend and were in a great position to make it into the AI series.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

This couldn't be a more ideal game for Cork to get back on track, playing a team they've had the Indian sign over for 20 years. Lambasted in hurling circles for their performances over last two games I think they will come out with high intensity, aggression and be unrecognisable from those two last matches. Clare's biggest obstacle is actually getting over what ever hang-up/phobia they have about that red jersey. Psychologically when it comes down to the last 10/15 minutes it seems they don't believe they can beat them [apart from 2013 reply]

Same starting 15 for Clare. Unfortunately Meehan isn’t on the match day panel. However Aron Shanagher is on the bench, I think we will need him on Sunday. Keith Smyth has also made the 26, some rise for him, he was on the u20 bench a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think Cork are in a really difficult place now, two really bad beatings from Limerick and lost the league final in last 3 big games they've had.

That type of experience can really sap the confidence of players and management, and in each other.

They have no home game left and three difficult games. The next three weeks will decide the future of management and quite a few of the players.

Hard to know how Cork react. Waterford in 18 & 19 couldn't buy a win, Cork are in danger of a similar slump, in spite of all the talent in squad and underage system.

It'll be interesting to see how they react

• Advertisement

Clare 1-8 to 1-6 down v Limerick heading towards half-time in the Munster senior football championship. Just got a much needed peno, tucked away by Tubs. We are beyond septic, hope that we can turn this around still.

Clare 1-14 Limerick 1-14. Extra time awaits! C'mon the Banner!!

Clare lose 4-1 on penos in the Munster senior football championship. The final score after extra time was Clare 1-19 Limerick 2-16. Heartbroken here. Well done to the shannonsiders, Billy Lee is doing a remarkable job, fair dues to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Clare are a moderate Division 2 team, no less, no more, they are not a Championship team

agree with this , could have nothing but respect for limerick , in fairness it was a really good game , hard not to be furious over the late free given by conor lane but we had plenty of chances to see the game out and didnt take them , keelan was a huge loss , we need to start giving more game time to the younger lads in the panel too ,

its a case of stick or twist as far as collins is concerned , which is more important in the development of football in the county playing a deacent standerd of football and try and make the county as competitive as possible or relegation in the league and hope for a good run in the championship , in fairness to collins he has won in the region of 11 championship matches , reached the all irealand q/f and twice narrowly missing out of the super 8s i dont think there is much more he could do

unlike say tipperary or cavan we would sink if we ended up back in division 4 , lose a heap of players like we did the last time we were down there so the league is probably more important to us for development going forward

i dont think theres a phobia of the cork jersey , i think we were tactually beaten by them several times ,we threw one Munster final away by incredibly poor shooting against them but we beat them 3 years ago , last year was as close as it could get but we were much more reliant on kelly for scores then this year

i do agree if ever theres a game for a cork backlash it is this so wouldnt be surprised if its another cork win , its 100% win or bust for them if they lose tomorrow they wont make it out of the group in my opinion , where's we will still be presented with opportunities of our own with two more home games to come to progress

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Your last paragraph is interesting, and I agree with it. I see the same in Hurling, where in reality, League is as important for smaller teams (and they all genuinely take is seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Even in the bad old days getting beaten by Limerick was unacceptable. They have the same issues as ourselves being in the shadow of the hurlers. This has the feeling of the end of an era. A few injuries and we are paper thin squad wise. Brennan, Russell, O'Dea, Malone, Doherty, Lillis and maybe Cleary are quality the rest are either over the hill or yet to prove themselves. Collins has stuck with the same backroom team for far too long, that should have been refreshed every second year. The goal keeper situation has been problematic ever since o keefe has been appointed coach for that position. We had an inside forward tonight who got enough chances to win 2 games and missed the lot but yet never got the curly finger. Very disappointing, in fairness they fought like tigers and it was great drama but we were beaten by the Limerick footballers. I think Collins is the best man that has ever been in charge of the Clare football team but his munster championship record is diabolical.

• Advertisement

i would basically consider clare football to be the laois hurlers of the top 16 , in order to keep the development going we need to stay in the top 16 , laois pick up some terrible results at times but they always keep there heads above water and every now and then they become fiercely competitive , collins and chedar plunket are almost identical characters in the sense that they are constantly fighting against the county board to get the best out of the minority sport in the county

i would happily see clare remain compitive over the next ten years at this level then risk everything and have several years down the divisions , as wexford and sligo have proven its not that easy to get back up the divisions after a few bad seasons

Advertisement