Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

Kept toe-to-toe with limerick in 1st half,but were facing down the barrel of an 8 to 10 point defeat with 10 or 12 mins to go,only 2 goals took bad look off the score board

Difficult to get over excited given amount of players limerick were missing tbh

What we need,and badly is a long range free taker to punish each and every cynical foul from limerick

Tactically we got most of match up correct in defence,and iarlaith daly going off injured and the re-jig required weakened us (why no ian kenny on panel?),as much as cian lynch going off injured did for limerick

We played a brand of hurling largly alien to us,and adopted reasonably well to the task,not too many players can say they took sean finn for several scores from play

We played some great ball in front of hutchinson in particular and scores are easier got from there as it looked as if,upto 7 limerick players would steam back to flood the centre in an obvious tactic to counter waterfords running from deep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mixed emotions after that game. Obviously good to have pushed Limerick to the end (on the scoreboard at least) and only have been a puck of a ball away from a result which is the closest we have got to them in the last few championship years. Aussie and Dessie did well, Jack Prendergast also took his scores well and it was a positive to at least have hit their net twice, something we haven’t done in recent years.

Plenty of negatives also that have to be looked at, not scoring a point in the last 20mins was very disappointing and very uncharacteristic of this team that usually finish games strongly. Disappointing how we just couldn’t live with Limerick in that last quarter and couldn’t win a puck out or breaking ball. Really needed lads to step up then and stop the game slipping away but to be fair when Limerick get going it’s so difficult to stop them. If you try go through them there’s always the risk of being bottled up and losing possession which happened numerous times but if you try avoid contact and go around them (like Cork tried) that doesn’t fare much better.

Hopefully Iarlaith’s injury isn’t too bad and he makes a speedy recovery. Suppose if there’s a “good” time to pick up an injury it might as well be now when we have a three week break. Regroup and get the heads right again to go all out for Cork.

If it’s any consolation, should we meet Limerick again it at least won’t be in their own back yard which is surely worth a few points to them. Probably grasping at straws but obviously preferable to play them in Thurles or Croke Park than the GG. The hardest part about today I think is just that it’s hard to know what we could/should/would do differently if we were to play them again next week. There aren’t many mitigating factors you could point to and claim “things might be different if….”. We had pretty much a full strength team and they were missing a few key players so a lot of disappointment stems from not taking that chance presented and we may not get a better one. It would have been a nice hoodoo to end and finally get one over this Limerick team but hopefully it will come another day in this championship. Hard to see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Anyone else notice the conditioning of the Limerick players? Not saying the Waterford lads are in bad shape but Limerick are like a team of bodybuilders every one of them. Not that it makes you better hurler either but shows the level of focus and discipline within that group that the minimum standard is you get yourself in incredible shape

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

I agree @Cake Man that hard to see how we can beat Limerick after that considering the players they were missing. If Cian Lych stayed on, you'd imagine he would have scored 5-6 points giving that he would have got into the positions that Cathal O Neill did and taken the scores.

The one area where we have never got much off Limerick is their half back line. I think (I don't know how) but if we could win more long puckouts it would give us a more platform but besides for Aussie we don't have many ball winners in the forward line.

On home advantage, I think it helped but not as much as if Lynch had not got injured. I also think if Iarlath hadn't got injured Gillane wouldn't have scored 6 from play.

We still are a bit off Limerick but hopefully we can get closer.

Tadgh would want to up his performance's been very poor the last two games. I believe he will get back to his normal levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

Since when has scoring two goals to reduced the deficit to the bare minimum been seen as some sort of consolidation effort?

Fair enough, they still won and we didn’t score any points in the last twenty, but that shouldn’t detract from the fact that we hit their net twice.

Lessons to be learned for sure, but I’m not despondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When we missed those goal chances in the first half I was thinking 'are ever scoring a goal against these lot'

The Cork game in 3 weeks could define our season. We're definitely not out of the woods yet in terms of finishing top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I disagree, I find it very hard to see Waterford beating Limerick at a later stage. Limerick missing Hayes and Lynch they are two massive additions alone to that team and I felt Limerick were 9-10 points a better team than Waterford last night. Waterford won't score two goals like that next time against Limerick. I wasn't happy to see the Waterford players taking the ball into contact last night, theres only going to be one winner there. I think fast ball into the Waterford forwards is the way to go. I think speed will beat power anytime in a game. Move the ball fast. Anytime Waterford took the ball into contact yesterday they were surrounded and gave away possession and that's as good as giving a score to Limerick and build their momentum. The fact that Tipp could have beaten Waterford last weekend too must be a worry, Tipp matched them for 55 mins before Waterford pulled away. I fancy Waterford to beat Cork and Clare by 5-6 points. I think someone like Kilkenny or Galway will beat Limerick when it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

I think the realism in Waterford was also a result of a poor supporting crowd yesterday evening, it shows that there isn’t the hype that some outside medias are creating about our team been able to beat Limerick and win the all Ireland, according to others outside Waterford and 1 or 2 of our own who are also in the media just drawing attention to themselves, it was all ready in the bag. We know we are the next best to Limerick on form, but we also know how big the gap is, and after yesterday we certainly know.

At no point after scoring goals did we look like pushing on and winning,with both goals being generally againest run-of-play

Good 21 yard free and Great,well worked goal,but we couldnt beat a limerick team minus,casey,flanagan,lynch and hayes and let them get on top for long stages of the 2nd half,

ive enough of heroic defeats,falling at last hurdle,to last a lifetime,i want to see waterford win all irelands,but after yesterday we are no closer than we were last july.coming out of croke park.

Realistically we need be shooting circa 3-30 or 5-25 plus,to be beating this limerick side,we fell along way short and now need to get ourselves back up,to beat cork in 3 weeks otherwise the league title will count for nothing.....we have an absolute mountain of work and improvements to do before we can even entertain taking on limerick again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

They must have put all the season ticket holders in the same section as I was surrounded by Waterford fans.

I think yesterday showed that Limerick are still a better team than us unfortunately. Though for me that means they are more likely to win rather than guaranteed. They deserved to win yesterday but I don't know if they were as far ahead as other posters suggest. Waterford were on top for a lot of the first half and didn't put it on the score board. Limerick were on top for much of the second half in fairness. They had two more wides than us but we missed more goal chances.

Absolutely no complaints on the day, Limerick were too good for us. But if we get to play them again I'd still give us some chance, albeit Limerick would be the more likely victors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I think the trilogy with Limerick is on, no one else will put it up to them except ourselves

I don't know about that, I don't think anyone else will beat them, but for a close game Kilkenny, Tipp or Galway are all capable of having respectable scoreboards vs Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We could have easily scored at least one goal in the first half and another two more in the second half. Some missed frees and drop in intensity in the last 20 minutes leaves a lot of room for improvement. Cahill will have learned a lot more. I agree that Limerick are still the team to beat and favourites for the all Ireland but disagree that yesterday showed Waterford aren’t the team to beat them. I’d fancy us before Galway and Kilkenny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Without being an absolute moaner, of course they’ll have that conditioning. They get everything, and I mean everything that’s required.

Hegarty for example has a gorgeous new Merc. They get their hols to the Bahamas. They get everything 5 star from JP. They’d have no excuse not being in unreal nick

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Looks like Tipperary’s season is over, with Limerick up next. If Clare beat Cork next week, that would also be good for Waterford. Might be a Limerick/ Clare Munster final, despite all the media expert predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Couldn't understand why Kiely wasn't brought out to the half forward line in the second half and put Bennett into the inside line, as he wasn't winning much there.. Also, we need to be making better decisions when on the ball..On the plus side, we scored goals against a limerick side we had failed to do against in three years..we never gave up and hopefully we'll get another craic at them later in the year..Munster is a mine field, so nothing can be takenbfor granted

Ideally we want a Clare win over Cork next weekend. Cork will then be travelling to Walsh Park needing a win

Very possible by Round 5 Limerick, Clare and Ourselves could be through

I'd take 3rd place now tbh but lots of work still to do. Cork or Tipperary winning could turn things around very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

As siad earlier

Clare win against Cork and then know our job and that will be to bury Cork and get our scoring difference up

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

that round robin table is incorrect - Clare at plus 8 and Tipp at minus 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Any idea when tickets will be released for the cork game? Will probably be another ordeal trying to get them

Think this one is right 😃

Stats from last nights game .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

^^^^

Better long range free taker like Byrnes and we dont lose that game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hate these. That definitely doesn’t include blocked shots which bugs me as it’s a hugely important part of analysis that all coaches I’ve been involved with have wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

An interesting star from above is that Limerick only used three subs, one of whom played nearly all the match. Clearly the Limerick bench is not inspiring Kiely. That could be important yet if Lynch’s injury is a high grade tear or if there are suspensions or further injury. I don’t think the AI is the gimme people are predicting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Stat not star!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

The ball is is travelling way too far these days mainly due to the rims being non existent on the sliotars... Players hitting them like tennis balls. Diarmuid Byrnes hits his frees from way out but his technique is actually illegal. A free should be one movement but Byrnes balances it on the hurl longer than should be allowed. I remember years ago there was a period refs were pulling it up but it's a long time since I saw someone penalised for it. Byrnes frees are a major source of scores for limerick... It would be nice if refs actually went back policing this!

Post edited by 5948ai on

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

harsh considering we had 3 all stars sitting in stand plus barry Murphy who would get game time as sub out with a cruciate injury as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement