Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Voluntary mask wearing is just about acceptable, even if it's pointless, but enforced mask wearing just needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Try working in the health service - not in patient contact at all, but yet still barriers, stickers, 15minute rules at lunchtime, everything wiped down, social distancing signs everywhere, restrictions on people in meeting rooms, no food allowed in from caterers, etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Antibiotics don't work against viruses like colds, flus or covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ICU went from 44 four days ago to guess what 44 today. It yoyos on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I feel your pain, and I'm not being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

THis is a huge problem nowadays, not just with covid - this cheering on of mental illness is disturbing, what kind of adult children will be in power for the next gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From RTE

The number of people with the coronavirus in intensive care units has risen slightly for a second day.

As of 11.30am, there were 44 patients with Covid in ICU, an increase of five on the same time yesterday.

It compares to 50 last Saturday and 52 on this day two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

Only 532 in hospital.

We’ve ridden the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yep. ICU’s always fluctuates. Still a stable downward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Sorry to hear and I hope this won’t be the case for me. Right now, I feel pretty okay. Just worried about previous issues leaving me immunocompromised.

Do you mind me asking what age you are?

For reference I am 33 year old male and rather sporty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm immunosuppressed, I had Covid in February. I'd a tickley cough for a day and a blocked, runny nose for about 3 days but nothing that ordinarily would have stopped me going about my life as normal.

I'm 41, had both vaccines and the booster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

39 yr old female, quite active.Fairly fit, used to being on my feet all day long, and busy.

Yes, similar, hoping it shifts quickly.I think I would probably have been better to have been hit hard by it early on, it might have lessened the impact at this stage .It's a frustrating experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd be advising to give the drink a miss for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

I got COVID this week. Definitely wasn't like a mild cold. More like a bad flu .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, that's how the health service should always have been run, they were/are hives for disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

My God! This thread has been hijacked by a motley crew of utter hypochondriacs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not in the least.My immediate experience of covid WAS a head cold.It is very frustrating to have something that never laid me low in "sick" terms -like a temperature or headaches, or a chesty cough or whatever else - to be playing havoc with me 2 weeks on, in such a way that I am not outright sick but can't fully function.Truthfully, as an otherwise healthy human, it is annoying as hell.

I am not going to say "you don't want to get this" because I actually think that is a silly statement.Nobody "wants" to get any type of sickness and it is a virus.None of us can avoid getting it.It is quite frustrating that you cannot tell how it will affect any particular person.I am just hoping that between vaccines and multiple iterations over time, it will become far less unpredictable.

Post edited by shesty on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I agree with patient facing stuff, of course.

But admin offices and support staff who have no patient contact I don't think should have to personally. There is very little benefit from it I reckon at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It's not just to prevent spread among patients. It's to prevent cases in staff and further staff shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What I notice is that academics in particular seem to have difficulty lifting back out of this. Academics are often quite detached from reality. Their analysis of a situation absolutely spot on, but they don't understand how the data intersects with people.

Tomás Ryan was one of the most high-profile one of these. Him of the "Let's just move Christmas to June" lunacy.

There was a thread running over the weekend about an increase in cases of hepatitis of unknown origin in children. It's real. It's probably covid-related in some way. But it's also 169 cases in a population of around 150 million children. I saw academics losing their mind over this. "Why are we not taking basic mitigation measures to protect children?". "Because politicians care more about money". "We aren't we improving the air quality in buildings". "There's no profit in it". "Nobody ever thinks of the children".

A complete detachment from the reality that basic mitigation is a busted flush, and that there's the possibility that it was mitigation that caused this hepatitis. Extended periods of low exercise, eating poor food and not mixing, could lead to autoimmune hepatitis. Nope. It's all covid, let's not wait for the data, let's just lose our minds.

I don't think that's true of all academics. Most I've seen are pretty relieved to see a return to normality. Part of the problem with the likes of Tomas Ryan and other ZeroCoviders is that those with more moderate and realistic viewpoints got fed up of them ages and stopped wasting their time debating them. The effect of this they ended up in their own echo chambers surrounded by people who agree with them and tell them they're right all the time. This is made worse by social media where it's easy to block/mute dissenting opinion. They're views are not in touch with reality at all and best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I saw another thread on twitter where someone posted a selfie while sitting on a plane in the USA and not wearing a mask and posted that it’s great to be maskless on a plane again.

One of the mask/restrictions 2022 crowd found it and put it up on his feed. The thread was filled with pure insults towards the guy. Apparently his maskless face was putting them off their dinners because how ugly he looked without a mask etc…

There’s a bigger disease out there than covid me thinks ….

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Margret must have not logged out on Friday & locked the spreadsheet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Thats precisely how I am also. Do your best to avoid it (hand hygiene, mask, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Firstly it's a viral hepatitits , unrelated to inactivity etc as you describe . No evidence as yet that it's a Covid related hepatitis , so whomever you are talking about is reaching there .

Secondly, research and healthcare are now finding so many people turning up with all sorts of Covid related damage which was predicted as " Long Covid " and worse now that they have had the space anddustance to investigate properly and fo longitudinal studies. There is no question but about 30% of infected people are not recovering and are developing novel postviral syndromes , some severe and long lasting, some milder and resolving quicker .

But am not going to waste my time posting any further on this because the thread as it stands is anti science and anti anybody that doesn't agree with the prevailing narrative which appears to be ...its gone now and we should never have taken precautions because it's so mild "!

Where are you going with this " mitigation is a busted flush " ?

Mitigation is what saved us until we got to a milder variant with a population mainly vaccinated .

Anyone that says otherwise is just plain ignorant or looking to annoy people .

I would not have had you in either of those categories .

Yes . Agree with you on this . Cringed when heard that members of ISAG were using the unproven hepatitis claim to further their now proven to be useless zero Covid agenda .

Real scientists and academics are quietly working away not running to the media with unscientific claims .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not sure what it is. They're calling it of "unknown origin", and have variously found Adenovirus and Covid in some cases, and no viruses in others. Maybe it's a range of causes.

Mitigation is now a busted flush in terms of the public at large. FFP2 masks have some limited effectiveness, but standard masks are completely useless and hard core lockdowns demonstrably don't work. Improve air quality may be of some benefit but cannot address the primary location in which spread occurs - private homes.

Mitigation for the public at large worked until Omicron came along. Now we have nothing. We can protect discrete locations like cancer wards and similar, but public spaces and even entire buildings are simply not a possibility.

We have a widely uptaken vaccination programme, effective antivirals and solid booster plan in place. That's all we can actually do now. Nothing else works anymore.

I agree that with Omicron things are different . It has evolved to evade our vaccines for infectivity but not severity . This does not mean that measures in the past while at times being poorly explained and heavy handed " are a busted flush " .

Don't kid yourself , masks work and worked along with other measures. Politics and optics are more important now that less people are ending up in hospital .

Oh and revisionism rules on this thread !

Of course we don't need the measures anymore , that is not what I am saying just disputing the narrative which implied we NEVER needed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I'd really like to know where we stand on COVID, I am 60 plus and WFH since it all kicked off, and basically have gone no where except the odd break in Ireland since then, but I am really getting fed up with the situation and the muddled messaging that we get.

I took first jab in April 21, booster at start of December and now I'm guessing I'll be asked to get another one in the next few weeks. that will be 4 jabs.

Basically, if we are getting jabs every 3/4 months (that's what it averages out for me) should we (plus 60 brigade) not just go back to normal and live life and then just treat Covid as a cold/ mild flu and not even take a test unless we feel we have something more severe? Otherwise aren't the jabs a total waste of time, because if we go nowhere, we won't catch it, even without a vaccine.

Should government not just make a statement to say this is the new flu and explain that people need to take the Covid vaccine as they would a standard flu vaccine by a certain age or according to their own personal vulnerability. In other words it would not be compulsory to take it.

Advertisement