Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Forgot how good it is

thoroughly enjoyable to watch. The details are outrageous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On your point about Kim, what did you and everyone else think of Jimmy's body language as she was laying into the Kettlemans with the call to the IRS, etc? Most of it was off camera, but we were given a few crumbs. He put his back against the wall and he was almost staring at the floor, then his look towards her outside once she exited after delivering the 'no idea' wallop. I wasn't sure if he was resigned, maybe remorseful, a little ashamed or maybe I'm overthinking it completely. It was powerful scene for that too, not just her interaction.

It felt like she's on the road to the bleakest arc of this final block of episodes and that's been brewing for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This video popped up on YouTube- ‘The Ethics of Better Call Saul’

Detailed stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Just finished epi2 - goddamn i just love this show (Vince/Peter production team), every moment is a joy to experience/appreciate the details in it. This show makes me feel...calm when watching it, just beautiful.

So yes a little bit of 'dumb plot' on the safe and a phone number directly to the motel, ah come on...but i find it funny and scary at the same when the twins knew Nacho has no way to go - the whole thing happened so fast and brutal.

Kim/Saul side is amusing as always - ah please i hope Kim doesnt die in this. It is incredibly sad that this is the final season, every minutes passed i was like oh god please no dont let this finish😂

(and eh aha i see a fellow of boardsie from ER thread - not even in the slightest surprise because i actually know a couple who are into BB/BCS and souls games aha :))

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Saul vs Kevin at the golf club was hilarious.

When the second episode opened with the two women in Nacho's house I was fearing the worst for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That scene is the one that's playing on my mind since I watched the two episodes. Saul almost seemed remorseful or resigned as you say and on watching it initially I thought he gave the money over to the couple in order to ease that guilt.

Saw on Reddit then that the inflatable statue of Liberty is the one over his office in BB so he didn't give the money but bought the Inflatable statue on the cheap from them linking into his "wolves and sheep" comment. This wouldn't tally then with being remorseful as he took advantage of them. Maybe it's part of the final transition from Jimmy over to Saul.

With regard to Kim, she's the one pushing the agenda about Howard so I think she'll do something and go too far leaving her in jail and losing her licence. (I hope she doesn't die).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I took it that Mike put the envelope into the safe on behalf of Gus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Rewatched ALL of BCS before the new series started, as I needed a refresh.

I was disappointed with the opener. Unless I've completely misinterpreted Bob Odenkirks brilliant acting, I always thought the Jimmy and Saul were separate people. I think the way 'Saul' is standing shame-faced in the background when Kim reads the riot act to Betsy is another in a long line of mask slipping events for Saul/Jimmy. I always see the put-upon Jimmy behind the mask - I think I'm too invested!! The 'wolves and sheep' quote was great, referring all the way back to little Jimmy despairing at his Dad's gullibility when he was handing free money to any shyster who passed by.

So... the opening scene showing the tacky living arrangements for Saul (and I don't recall any reference to Saul's home life in BB) doesn't really fit. If that had actually been the back of the office, where 'Saul' spends some down time, I'd have found it more believable. Of course, all was forgiven when the bottle cap fell off the truck. A poignant reminder of simpler, although close to the knuckle, times.

I completely missed the 'teeth' thing. Should have seen it coming when Gus was getting a report from Tyrus which even mentioned confirmation by dental records. I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY want to see Nacho and his Dad on the bus to Manitoba. But sadly, he's just a pawn in Gus's game. The envelope in the safe says that, to me. But I still don't get why they outed Nacho to the Salamancas, well I understand the need to distance Nacho from Gus, but risking getting him caught and tortured seems a bit odd. This needs a re-watch. The great thing is, I can watch an episode twice in one week and still enjoy spotting stuff I'd missed first time round.

On a completely separate note. Yesterday I was watching one of those programmes in which the 'TRUE' story behind UFO's is revealed. Thought to myself "that narrator sounds remarkably like Gus Fring!" IT WAS. So Gus's very precise way of speaking has opened up some new avenues for Giancarlo Esposito.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes & delighted to have it back. A lot of the camera work seems a little indulgent though I must stay - the Goodfella's style opening sequence or angles of shots from below/through a glass etc - a bit OTT in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Need to savour every new episode of this show while it's on. When it's gone it's gone and the BB/BCS era has passed. Best TV shows ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im the opposite, I love the cinematography of BCS and BB before it. It is one of the calling cards of both programs, there is nothing they wont put a camera inside to get a unique shot. Even in the last episode there was a close up shot of rain water dripping from a gutter with Nachos motel in the background, the water dripping added to the sense of Nachos tension while he was desperate to be picked up out of there. I love the little details like that, they really build tension in a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Also love it for the unique shots. Really adds a lot, for me at least

i believe the drip was from an air conditioner suggesting that someone was in the out building

Again, just another cool detail

Even Nacho rushing to get in the truck when it was locked and he had to quickly unlock it. Little details add up and really drag you in

I would be somewhere in the middle on the cinematic montages. If they show things the viewer has to pick out. Builds drama. References past events or gives nods to important future info I am all for it.

But if it is an overly long montage for what feels like the sake of it. It annoys me. Like the one ages ago where we saw Kim and Jimmy brushing their teeth. Constant montages. I understood it was to show distance between the pair but it felt like filler too long.

The one in Saul’s house worked for me. Basically because it was like a settler to get back into it after a long absence. And I knew I had to watch carefully incase I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm just waiting on Tuco Salamanca to make an appearance.

Went back for a second look at both episodes....

"El Camino" diner. All the stuff in the cardboard box - Mesa Verde; Phone shop tennis balls.

Still not gone on the whole Howard take-down idea. I like Howard.

I suppose Mike and crew had to conceal their visit to Nacho's, but by golly, those Salamanca crew were real gunterers, wreck the place and then try to burn it down opening the safe. Did freeze frames to see what Mike did and then realised about the Dad's licence. But... did anyone else think less money was put back then was taken out? IF it happened, can only imagine it needed Gus's blessing. So maybe I'm imagining it. On the other hand, Mike was very surreptitious with the licence....

We know Lalo delayed returning north because Hector told him to get proof. But that proof is now in the hands of the Salamancas, so I think that was Lalo following Jimmy and Kim. - oh, what about "Who's Lalo?" eeeeek!

Anyway, all-in-all a great return with all the panache and attention to detail we've come to love. Oh, and did I mention the drama! Riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It took me like two days to figure out why mike put the letter in nachos safe... And that's why I bloody love this show. There's so much going on, it reminds me of one of those plate spinners.

Found these breakdown videos -

Saul’s house scene -

Nacho escape scene -

Howard Golf/Drugs Storyline -

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm not sure if I could've used a recap but maybe not. I seemed to get back into the story ok.

6.1: This is starting to feel like a solid borderline between Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad. Still have no clue what happens to Kim. Feels a bit like maybe she'll be kept in a lie-low place after Saul ends.. or not I dunno.

Just watched gormdubhgorm's videos. An excellent find, G. "Slippin Kimmy" hehehe. I still think those were balls from the phone shop in that box. And the Saul cardboard cutout in the skip reminds me of Jimmy searching the skip (same type and colour?) outside the Sandpiper Residence, but yes its also highly symbolic.

Roll on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When's the next episode out?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

great to have it back, couldn't take my eyes off of it. Great show.

Nacho in the motel room, great TV...and all the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Just on your last point, Saul mentions being "too comfortable in my mansion and wingtips" when confronted by Walt in "Crawl Space", can we assume he's likely already used to the high life pre BB and simply works in the gutter because that's the only space he can comfortably occupy?

Glazers Out!

Yeah that's definitely possible too. Also remembered that the majority of BB takes place in the span of one year. First episode is his 50th birthday, and his 51st is early in Season 5. So Saul probably only knew and was profiting off his relationship with Walt for less than a year. So yeah, maybe he did have the house and gold toilet before the start of Breaking Bad.

Given that we know Saul lives, and Mike lives, we have to have a hero death rivaling that of Walter in BB in the series finale, for the feels. It can only be Kim, IMO.

At the start of ep1 Lalo shows up injured to a couples house where the man had the ZZ top beard. Lalo asks his wife about her husbands teeth (that Lalo paid for) and we see him with a scissors ready to use it to kill the couple though this doesnt get shown on screen.

Does anyone know was this couple in it before, I cant recall them. And if they were was there reference made to Lalo offering to pay for his new teeth? The insinuation seems to be that Lalo paid for his teeth and got the dentist to give him identical teeth to Lalo so that if he ever needed to fake his own death he would have a person with identical teeth to replace him. Later in the episode iirc Tyrus and Gus are discussing the forensics on 'Lalos' body (which is burnt to a crisp) and Tyrus says the forensic report say it is Lalo and everyone in the cartel thinks the same, presumably becasue of him having the same teeth. Was this a plot point set up in an earlier season or did it just drop into episode 1 of S6?

It wasn't mentioned before, but it just shows that Lalo has had things like this planned in case he needed to fake his own death. He found someone who looks like him (hence why he made him shave off his beard but keep the moustache and soulpatch), paid for his dentistry work (without revealing the reason or that the dentist would have made his dental work match Lalo), and when he needed to fake his death, Lalo killed them. It was never shown or hinted at before, but just demonstrates that Lalo has these backup plans in place.

The cousins also walking straight onto the crime scene at the compound show that they have ties to the police there too, so that was likely also a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

How did Gus know after talking to Hector that Lalo was still alive?

He knows Hector doesn't trust him, and would probably suspect him being behind the attack on Lalo's house. So the fact Hector put out his hand and appeared to be accepting Gus' sympathies was so out of character for Hector that it let Gus know Lalo was still alive. Which I think was intentional on Hector's part too, as he wants to scare Gus.

It's a back and forth they've been playing for years. Hector doesn't trust Gus, and they both want to get rid of the other but are forced to work together under Don Eladio. They just know each other well enough at this stage that the slightest thing out of place raises a red flag. Gus is always exceedingly careful; a hint that Lalo might still be alive means he has to take it as fact. Hector wants Gus to know that he missed his chance and now Lalo is coming for him.

Gus is subtle and careful. Hector is not.

• Advertisement

ah right thanks, I couldnt figure out if the teeth plot line had been referenced before, I dont even think that couple were in it previously. Pretty good plan by Lalo to have someone with identical teeth set up if he ever needed a body double.

Yeah the Mexican cops all went scrambling at the crime scene when the cousins showed up, Id say it was them who brought Lalos body double there to plant and to be photographed by forensics.

Advertisement