Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

I find it amusing that someone with no knowledge of the case speaks of the Gardai 'determining' something about it

And yes there was an allegation via a complaint to gardai,which is what was investigated

Thats well known

Pretense in this thread that its not is just fake news,a common thing here an aspect of which is where posters 'forget' parts of the discussion earlier and bring it up again a few days later as if for the first time

The only fact that we know about the investigation is that the Gardai informed varadakars solicitors that they were making no recommendations

We do not know what the Gardai determined

The DPP will determine if there is a case to answer

Those not willing to accept her decision in advance can join the pre decision dissing of her appointment and pedigree by the promoters of the allegations if they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭notsocutehoor

It looks like a jack hammer or pile driver is required!

Of course we know that the Gardai determined that there was some merit in the case, you don't need need to be a legal eagle or a rocket scientist to figure that one out, if the Gardai determined that there was absolutely no merit in the case they would have thrown it out without consideration, Ms Pierse would never have seen it, this is how the system works and it's not rocket sciece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

A lot of rocket science.

This case is high profile. The Gardai could be sending it to the DPP so they have had a 3rd party review. You can imagine the uproar if the Gardai just threw it out. So better to send all findings to the DPP, let her review and throw it out. Then when the uproar happens they can say they went above and beyond the requirement to make sure everything was above board. This could be the case, it might not be.

As ever we now seems to have a load of people who are experts on how the legal system works in Ireland, last week they had a degree in another topic. Better off just waiting and seeing what happens, at least the Gardai and DPP can't be accused of not been thorough

That could possibly be the case, but if it is it's the Gardai shirking their responsibilities, which is not how the system should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How do you know that the Gardai determined that there was some merit in the case?

There are other alternative possibilities. One would be the political one, that the Gardai believe that there is no merit in the case, but want to make sure that they have full backing from the DPP for that stance. Or that they don't want the political outcry from the online brigade if they dismiss it. Or that Cosgrave has threatened a judicial review if they don't send it to the DPP so they do it.

Not saying any of those are true, but they are all possibilities and put a different gloss on the situation than the one you are desperate to paint. So unless you have a piece of paper from the Gardai with an opinion on it, you are just speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gardai are not legal experts, and this type of offence is as technically complex as you generally get.

So it's most likely a mixture of things, at the core of it would be both the admissions/statements from Varadkar about the fact that he provided the document, and the desire from Garda top brass to avoid a PR issue.

If the Gardai dropped it without going to the DPP, you're basically inviting independent legal experts to publish lengthy commentary about why they shouldn't have dropped it and whether this speaks to favouritism in the force.

Most likely from day 1 the decision had been made to hand this to the DPP for expert oversight no matter what the Gardai believed the outcome to be.

In principle, the Gardai shouldn't defer to the DPP unless they think there's a good case, but as I say in reality the Gardai are not legal experts and often have to defer to the DPP on complex cases.

Varadkar has the benefit of being about the only person who can say they have obtained legal advice on this (everyone else has to keep quiet until the case is resolved), and it seems unwise to dismiss his confidence out of hand, just because he's under the spotlight. If his legal advice told him he was going to be in trouble here, I don't think he would claim innocence and brazen it out. More likely in that case to try and strike a deal, hands up, contrite, error in judgement, and make it go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Clearly some are missing a number of facts that didn't require proof . Take aside wether a leak is illegal or not. There's the missing phone data, the way the documents were couriered, the friendship (albeit Leo saying it wasn't has close as the good doctor would have us believe), the fact the information was given to an organisation not essentially involved with negotiations etc etc etc.

Gardai felt it appropriate to interview various parties also but even leaving all this aside if after an inordinate amount of time and investigation they found nothing , they could have just closed the matter. Instead (perhaps more as cover) they forwarded the file to the DPP, that in itself is telling and I'm quite surprised given the file has barely landed, sources within FG exuding confidence.

This is more than just about leaking/ Sharing of sensitive information, which let's not forget Leo has admitted too and apologised for, there's a number of matters and sequence of events that the DPP has to consider, if what occurred amounted to a criminal offence or Not.

Despite the repeated attempts to say this is a nothing to see here story, the "Facts" suggest otherwise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

All fine and dandy, but they have spent over a year (?) investigating this, did they decide from day 1 we can't be ar3ed here, this is for the DPP, over to her, and just leave it hanging around the office for a year. If this is what they did then it's an abuse of the system, as is sending a case that they have determined has absolutely no merit to the DPP.

How do you know "how the system should work"?

We have DPP etc all in place to support the Gardai, I would expect the DPP has legal degree's etc which a lot of Gardai would not have.

Well no, they gathered statements and data from phones and whatever else they felt they needed. We also heard that the case was frustrated by Cosgrave and his gang frequently calling to make new statements with "new" information.

Investigations take time and Gardai assigned to cases are working on a number of them at a given time. As there is no public risk here, then there is no great urgency, so the case may very well have sat idle for weeks at a time while the Gardai assigned to it were looking at more urgent cases.

Like I say, this is a complex case. The Gardai don't have the legal knowledge to determine "absolutely no merit". The Gardai and the DPP want to prosecute cases that they think they can win. Sometimes that's pretty straightforward. Often times that requires a deep legal experience and understanding of how a case is likely to go based on the evidence presented.

• Advertisement

If you thought about it could you have a fair go at figuring out how the system should work, a helicopter view, and you shouldn't need legal degrees etc to figure it out

😂

What a load of tosh, you are aware that just because the Gardai send something to the DPP it doesn't automatically mean it goes to court?

As I already said having an independent review a case like this is good due diligence. Two relevant points below.

Does the DPP investigate crimes? No. An Garda Síochána (the Gardaí) investigate crimes. When the Gardaí investigate a serious crime, they send a file to the DPP. The DPP will then decide what charges, if any, to bring. 

. Is the DPP independent? Yes, the DPP is independent when making decisions. This means that no-one – including the Government or the Gardaí – can make the DPP prosecute a particular case or stop the DPP from doing so.

Of course it doesn't mean that if the Gardai send something to the DPP it automatically goes to court - have you been reading and understanding what I posted, if so I'd appreciate you pointing out to me where I say that it did.

I can't figure out how to remove stuff from a post before responding, must sign up for the course

But speaking of tosh - When the Gardaí investigate a serious crime, they send a file to the DPP - I presume you can figure out what is factually wrong with that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

"This type of offence is as technically complex as you generally get."

It's not complex at all.

Did circulate a confidential document? I think we know the answer to this bit.

What laws make it an offence to circulate confidential material? Maybe this..........?

Section 7 (2) of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018 makes it an offence for an official to “use confidential information” for corrupt reasons.

“An Irish official who uses confidential information obtained in the course of his or her office, employment, position or business for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person shall be guilty of an offence.”

If it was a lowly civil servant it would be already cut and dried I'd imagine.

I'd be interested in precedence in the leaking for confidential government material.

Gardai also send files to the DPP that have no conclusion before during or after they're sent

Its amusing but also telling that a post here implies guilt out of this process

Hopecasting a prosecution from what I can see which of course in my view is disrespectful at a minimum

We absolutely DO NOT know if the document was covered by the official secrets act

It is only alleged that it was

This was all discussed in this thread

TLDR The document was already being circulated and discussed outside of cabinet

Thats a flaw in the OSA allegation

The corruption allegation seems to be did Varadkar gain

Ah well then. Some randomer on boards says it's really simple and he's definitely guilty. Case closed, so.

Fvck sake.

Lots of you lads would make the worst jurors.

That statement I coped from the document I linked on the DPP. Which was written by the Office of the DPP.

Are you saying it is incorrect? because if so you claim to know more about the legal process in Ireland than the Office of the DPP

Edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

There's one thing certain here folks, Leo won't be prosecuted and will be Taoiseach as scheduled later this year.

Wow. Why don't you address the post and not the poster? Care to highlight some of the complexities maybe? We are all randomers on boards no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pretty much what that poster quoted/said was covered on the radio a few months back.

They never said it was simple, what was said was that Leo has committed a crime. The severity of the crime is what is being called into question. It is illegal to share/leak a confidential document, but if it was done for any benefits/advantage then it is an awful lot more serious.

I would imagine the more difficult part to prove would be if there were any benefits or advantage to him leaking it.

"for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person".

OK. Explain to me the proof that Leo acted "corruptly" and provided the document for the purpose of gaining an advantage for himself or someone else. "Corruptly" means acting with improper intentions. Advantage is of course something tangible and not, "His friend liked him a bit better" or "MOT was able to be better prepared".

As a consequence, you will need provide me the explanation to why as a member of government he wouldn't be permitted to provide this document to a relevant interested party.

...for the purpose of corruptly obtaining a gift, consideration or advantage for himself or herself or for any other person..

Not sure why you quoted me there.

But to correct the poster above, it does not necessarily have to be a tangible or pecuniary nature. It can of course also be intangible or non-pecuniary.

It is illegal to share/leak a confidential document,

Is it? I think you'll find it's not illegal to share a confidential document, otherwise it would make it very difficult to produce confidential documents.

Whether sharing of a confidential document was illegal depends entirely on who it was shared with and the purpose for which it was shared. "Leak" is not a legal term, and exactly the same, "leaking" a document is not automatically illegal. Providing confidential meeting minutes to a person who was not at the meeting is "leaking", but that doesn't mean it is illegal or even wrong.

it does not necessarily have to be a tangible

Tangible: Clear and definite; Real.

That is, it cannot be a potential or theoretical advantage. There has to be a demonstrable gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Nearly 2 years on and still nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

"Tangible: Clear and definite; Real.

That is, it cannot be a potential or theoretical advantage. There has to be a demonstrable gain."

an undue advantage may be money, a loan, shares in a company, a holiday, food and drink, sex, enrolment in a school for an official’s child, or a promotion, as long as it places the official in a better position than he/she was before the commission of the offence.

There are many ways to determine advantage or benefits, it is not limited by tangibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement