Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Certainly doesn't seem accidental no matter what way you slice it; an oil/fuel depot and some sort of military storage facility by the look of things.

From the videos that have appeared it looks more likely to have been saboteurs on the ground; no real evidence of projectiles or aircraft. Whether they were Ukrainian or not would be the question I suppose.

Also interesting that over the past few days there have been several warnings that Russia were planning a false flag in Bryansk.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Detritus70

As a German who lived both in Germany and Ireland I can shed some light on the queueing thing.

Fun fact, my family actually owned a bakery in Germany and one of my many jobs was sometimes behind the counter. People were very mannerly when it comes to queueing. One of the sales girls was on her own when she absolutely had to go to the bathroom. The shop was rammed with people. She asked them to please wait. They did. When the shop was full people would ask each other "where you here first?" and that's normal queueing etiquette here. Things are somewhat different in Ireland.

A woman in a petrol station in Ennis elbowed me out of the way and plonked her shopping on top of mine. The poor girl at the till was so terrified of he, she started scanning her items.

A woman in Dunnes in Ennis moved my shopping cart out of the way at the till while my back was turned so she could get ahead of me. This one could be debatable, if someone disappears for 10 minutes you should absolutely move their trolley. I was gone for 10 seconds.

A guy in Lidl in Shannon started loading his shopping directly behind my last item. My shopping cart was still 3/4 full.

When you want to reverse I to a parking space, people in Germany wait. In Ireland they drive up to the back of you and blow the horn.

People have overtaken me whilst turning into a major road and as I was turning off a major road. It is a daily occurrence that someone will deliberately use the wrong lane at a roundabout or traffic light to skip the queue.

So I'm saying this without judgement or accusation, but queueing and driving in Germany is always a pleasure.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

A new video has surfaced which appears to indicate a missile of some kind striking Bryansk. We can't actually see any projectile but we can definitely hear one and see the explosion:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sounds like a missile or rocket alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Forest fires in Russia are spreading at an exceptionally fast pace this year - the area covered by the fire is twice as large as in the same period of 2021, the Russian branch of Greenpeace said.

In the same period of 2021, 915,600 hectares of land were burnt, while now it is 2.2 million hectares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I expect serious attempts to engage in peace talks this week after Blinken's visit to Ukraine at the weekend. The implications for the west in a prolonged war is becoming increasingly apparent. While Russia will end up weakened, economic turmoil in the west will have major consequences also. Middle Eastern, south American and most Asian countries refuse to join in sanctioning Russia. The invasion is viewed by most people in the world as a European problem. Even in Europe most people are losing interest in the war. For the first time since the invasion occurred it's no longer the main headline on the Guardian web page. Most people have short attention spans.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

What I find extremely amazing the fact that Russia ,itself, is not being counterattacked by Ukraine - so Russia does NOT have to do any active defensive actions on its own territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

You think most people in Europe have lost interest, or is it that the rag press in the UK have lost interest. While it is a European war and a European problem that hasn't stopped other countries responding, such as USA, Australia, Canada.

The fallout of what Russia is doing will hit most countries in the world, so while they aren't looking to get involved they will get dragged into it. Economically this is WW3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In addition to unfortunate cases of spontaneous combustion a railway line has been put out of commission.....natural causes or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is.

What you have though is the unique situation where both sides are denying it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Designed to kill and maim civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Edit (Stupid boards): in reply to joseywhales above not approving Eastern European countries joining eu

If that was the criteria for countries gaining entry to the EU then I doubt the then current members would have allowed Ireland join in 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

That derailed locomotive looks like more like a landslip rather than explosion?

Probably but hey might as well get them a bit more paranoid 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The French election is a pretty big story for a day or so, seeing as LePen didn't win that story will be gone by the end of today as its just back to as we were now.

Yeah because their military have demonstrated that they would be competent enough to mount such an operation NOT!

And that's not even taking into account that their airborne capability has been decimated by Ukrainian forces.

I think we can clearly label this show as Comic Fiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The vast majority of the Russian army is held up in Ukraine and their state television is talking about opening up a new front? What sort of delusional headbangers are these sorts of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Whilst I am certain it is anatomically impossible, I believe there is however a slight risk that if Ukraine ends up in a position where it seized land from Russia after this conflict, I might defy the odds and actually laugh my bollocks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I do think party gate or something else was briefly was top of the guardian homepage as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ukraine need to make push for Moscow… it’s a sitting duck

I think they should help Moldova take back Transnistria once they kick the Russians out of their lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well we (in Western democratic countries) elect our politicians to think deeply and worry about + focus on this big stuff every work-day so we don't have to. Otherwise you'd burn yourself out (for nothing...as you can't affect it much).

Why should we care if countries outside Europe are self interested, consider it all a "European war" and won't back sanctions (or even condemn the invasion in the UN as a bare minimum) to preserve relations with Russia or seek to benefit from knock-down prices of Russian natural resources?

The one thing Europe (EU/EU members) should do about that is look to itself first, take note of the names and remember it the next time they come looking for something in particular (which they inevitably will I expect) and tell them to go and shove it.

BTW there will be no peace I think until Russia is interested in such. There's no sign of that yet and the way they waged war seems to make negotiated settlement harder.

Even if Russia was to turn over an entirely new leaf today, say agree a ceasefire at a minimum and put serious proposals, they are generating a vast amount of hatred and bitterness inside Ukraine I imagine which will make the necessary concessions tougher to swallow.

This is something NATO have been aware of for years regarding the suwalki corridor,and first thing Sweden done when Russia invaded Ukraine was to reinforce Gotland and NATO have reinforced the suwalki corridor.

Sending a nuke over the Baltics to create an EMP wouldnt only affect NATO troops it would affect Russian troops in Kaliningrad as well.

And at the first sign of Russias troop movements,NATOs would send their first response battlegroups thats ready within hours.

Also NATOs baltic fleet,frigates and submarines and Swedens corvettes they need to take out,not to mention airforce.

And i highly doubt Finland is going to sit and watch their neigbours being invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hmm, not quite as impossible as Roy Keane's injunction

but still pretty challenging...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And then US B1 and B2 bombers arrive a couple hours later and take out all that stuff you moved in your cunning plan, not to mention AWACS fly in from outside the EMP zone shortly after and see all that you thought would remain hidden.

Josewhales approves and sharpened the knives.

Absolutely. Ukrainian forces should just rol over the border and mop up the 1,300 Orc troops stationed there. Apparently there is a massive Orc arms dump there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never mind that the effectiveness of an EMP burst very much up for grabs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement