Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't Irish people befriend foreigners?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the interests of "the Irish people" could be represented by just one party, there would be no need for other parties or for independents. There is no closed shop. At the next local elections, most places will have around only two candidates per seat. Easy enough to get elected, and that can be the stepping stone to national politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It a complete fantasy anyway there was heroin epidemic in the 80s. Half the country was derelict. That's not too say that uncontrolled immigration hasn't brought it own problems. But Ireland wasnt crime free in the past either. We had no go areas in cities.

The thread is daft as a brush anyway. The OP had been here 3yrs two thirds is that is during a lockdown where socializing was restricted. How many close friendships has anyone made during a worldwide pandemic. Everyone has been stuck with their immediate social group and unable to travel.

I've made no new friends at work. But then I've not been in the office for 2yrs. Seriously.

No I don't. But the current culture has stopped me asking. Everyone is so offended by anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed.

Anyway, none of this applies to the OP who seems perfectly nice and will, I’m sure, make Irish friends in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭jackboy

😂Don’t worry, I’m sure you have a wonderful personality after a few pints.

• Advertisement

Nearly as wonderful as the oddball who spends his evenings judging drunk girls in chippers..

Never mind. I have a habit of going off-topic. Leaving it there.

Most people aren't anti social after a few drinks. Rather the opposite. Most people don't drink too excess either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

When did we have an irishman behead an elderly gay man and another social gay man ever? A young girl murdered cos she was concerned about a child being covered in bruises coming to school. Polish women & other eastern europeans women being beaten within an inch of their lives by their polish husbands. My friend is a nurse and she has seen it in the hospital un believeable. And you ask me why i dont want to befriend foreigners theres 3 reasons already...... I dont accept cultures where violence is just normal everyday behaviour. i accept civilised people and the immigrants we are being given are not top drawer more like the shite that Angel Merkle doesnt want, the dregs the criminals the low IQ dossers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That whole post is absolute BS. Were you to look at Tusla cases in detail and use them as a representative example of the greater population then you would have no Irish friends either. We have an absolute grim history in this country in respect of protecting the most vulnerable.

For every Yousef Palani we have an Alan Hawe or a Mark Hennessey

I concur but i do pick my friends wisely and none of them have ever been on the wrong side of the law !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Would you perchance admit there might be a foreigner somewhere that rises to your high standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some of my closest friends are Aussies so to generalise like that is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭pgj2015

When did we have an irishman behead an elderly gay man and another social gay man ever?

Have you considered looking at other western nations, with similar cultures and history to our own to see if such things have happened? After all, I could point to dozens of abuses in the US, which supposedly shares our values, and typically our attitudes on most things align, but at the same time, have some awful things happen. What about the UK? Similar story there, and in many ways, they're even closer to us culturally..

Polish women & other eastern europeans women being beaten within an inch of their lives by their polish husbands.

I once visited a close friend of mine (male), who had "fallen down the stairs", except for the fact that he lives in a bungalow. His missus beat the crap out of him.. and has done so before. Does that mean that all Irish women are guilty of the same? Nope. Is it indicative of Irish culture? Not really. (Although all the things that don't get spoken about is rather strong in Ireland).

In any case, you're shifting goalposts. You're deflecting away from what i wrote in response to your previous post.

And you ask me why i dont want to befriend foreigners theres 3 reasons already...... I dont accept cultures where violence is just normal everyday behaviour. 

All the examples you provided are not everyday normal behaviour, and in most cases, are condemned within their own culture by the majority. Even in Islamic countries, there is what is promoted and what is actually done.. on a daily basis. They're not the same thing.

Anyway, you might as well stop being friends with Irish people based on the standards you apply to others... but then, that's it, isn't it? You're applying double standards.

i accept civilised people and the immigrants we are being given are not top drawer more like the shite that Angel Merkle doesnt want, the dregs the criminals the low IQ dossers.

Except that Merkel wanted the low skilled workers to meet their demands in manufacturing and other relatively low skilled industries, like their massive hospitality/service industry. So your claim doesn't make any kind of logical sense. By that logic, we would have gotten the majority of skilled/educated workers, as that's what Germany has in abundance.

You're not really thinking your arguments through. We got what mass immigration and our immigration policy provides. A mixed bag. You'd be more accurate blaming our politicians and the civil service for that though.

i agree about our polititions the minister for justice is a toddler and should not hold that office and leo wants a million more people into ireland so he feels at home.....

Yes there might be one but i couldnt be arsed looking as i am fine with my irish friends so whats the problem.. "Irish person likes irish people" whats not to like !! You cant call me racist as i have not been racist. I am just happy in my own little bubble out in the country surrounded by my own land which i will never sell any sites from so i will never have to get on with people who are planted next door and pretend I like them.

What’s not to like about racism? Why not own it? If you claim that awful crimes have been committed exclusively by foreigners, and that immigrants are all sub par, that’s a pretty clear indication of bigotry. Again, why be ashamed of that at this point?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And yet they are all more capable and in office, rather than the silly little twat making dumb comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

leo wants a million more people into ireland so he feels at home.....

I'd say Leo feels very much at home.

HI you three i was awaiting the arrival of the mob...... and just like I expected you are like clockwork all singing from the same hymn sheet. The boards mob are much like thw twitter mob. I like irish people so cancel me !!

aaah thats so nice so loyal so cute you obviously love Leo. Of course you do he s the great liberalizer !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Um, you jumped the gun there, although it's a fairly accurate jump.

I view our politicians as corrupt, inept, and elitist. Not toddlers because that would give them something of a free pass. Considering how much the government pays out in consultancy fees, you'd think they'd be doing better. The minister for Justice is a SJW activist, and a social media whore.

Our politicians jumped on to the virtue driven train of multiculturalism. Diversity is our strength. Apparently. Even though it's failed badly in every western nation, and we're seeing rising social unrest, and economic costs as a result.. but our politicians don't care becasue regardless of what happens their benefits and pensions are secure.

The old adage is truer than ever today about never learning from others mistakes & we have watched as many civilization have been destroyed by multiculturalism & still we strive to make our small island another casuality of the same. I truly feel sad for young babies being born in Ireland and to irish people as they are being born into a robbed culture. I had a blissful childhood nice communities all around helpful kind & trustworthy, irish song music books all you could hope for and i am sorry these children won t have that . Instead they will have exposure to adult themes at an all too early age robbing them of their childhood. I really do not support some of the liberal bullshit we are having forced on us.

Bertie, I do believe that's the first post of yours I've ever completely agreed with you on. I suspect we differ on the specifics, but all's good right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,126 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess you were lucky enough not to go to an industrial school.

Did you ever get to sing

There was an old woman who lived in the woods, A weila weila waila ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I wouldn't say this is a uniquely Irish thing. From talking to people I know who've lived in Nordic countries, Finns, Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians are also very hard to befriend - they tend to make their friends early in life and don't instinctively seek new ones. In fact Scandinavian countries are often ranked as some of the toughest places in the world to integrate into because of that social attitude. I suspect it's probably a trait you'll find across most of Northern Europe (as opposed to the south where people are generally more open).

But one thing that makes Ireland different is that we are approachable on the surface - we're comfortable with small talk and chatting with strangers. That can make us look warm, especially for small interactions, but it's usually skin-deep. We also tend to be very indirect people - we would consider it more important to be polite than to be completely honest for fear of upsetting people. But people from other countries are often way more straightforward and would regard the Irish attitude as insincere.

To be honest one of the strangest things I've noticed about Irish people is that we can actually be very sensitive to criticism (again linked to that indirectness). You can see it on this thread. We often like to hold up "slagging" and our self-deprecating sense of humour but loads of people here seem to react very strongly to criticism or questions about Ireland, especially from foreigners. Add in the overblown reaction every time someone in the British media mistakenly calls an Irish person "British" by accident. It can be a bit over the top to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I am Irish, born and bred, and I don't have a close friend. My mother didn't either and my dad, very much like me, had lots of acquaintances but bemoaned the lack of a real friend.

There were plenty of people who probably would have called me a close friend but, personally, I find people (including me) are just too odd!

Yes, and picking our noses in public isolates us.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

The notion that people in Southern Europe are more open and friendlier is a fallacy. Sure, they are often louder and more garrulous, but the key point is amongst each other. Italians and Spanish aren’t particularly open to foreigners either.

In fact, they are significantly more racist than Northern Europeans; try spending time in Madrid if you don’t speak Spanish. You’ll find that some of your encounters will be fractious, to say the least. The Portuguese are actually quite a reserved people, but generally very humble and genuine. They seem more ‘northern’ in demeanor, than anything else.

The fact is, people don’t give up friendship easily anywhere. It has to be earned through shared connections and sincerity. The super friendly people you meet in developing nations are that way, because they want something from you. That’s not the case in Europe, so it always takes time to build connections with locals.

Thank you its a first on boards for me as mostly no one sees my logic.

• Advertisement

I actually went to a very good boarding school which i loved, so no not an industrial school though i do remember my mother threaten ing to send me to Letterfrack if i didnt behave. It never meant anything until later years when i realized what it was.

I know that song , not a particular favourite i have to say , prefer Carrickfergus it has a lovely lilting melody and the words are so sad. I also loved recitations which are now a thing of the past, particularly The ballad of the tinkers daughter by Sigerson Clifford all part of our rich past.

you are actually normal most irish people keep a tight circle and feel comfortable with that but the new liberals want us all hugging each other in the streets despite the machetes & base ball bats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FeelingZesty

Hi OP,

I am glad that you like it here and have a fondness for the tin whistle. To answer your question I think it could be cultural differences, a person’s personality (intro/extrovert) and if they want a social circle. Also, do they feel like you want a friendship or to just know them to say ‘hello’ to.

In my experience (as an Irish woman) non-Irish people either return to their home countries (and don’t keep contact) or others just use you (for information/help) and then ignore you. It could be my bad judgement in people too, as I don’t have much luck with Irish people either. Basically, treat people how they treat you. I wish you could have witnessed 90s Ireland, where no one had much of anything and you could knock on a neighbours door for some sugar until you got to the shop.

Edit: Just to add maybe online gaming might be a way to meet people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Us Irish men used to proud of beating our wives not too long. I can think of 5 or 6 instances in my area over last 6 months alone. Up until the early nineties you could rape you wife and she could do nothing about it. Us Irish are no angel. I lived abroad for 20 years and got fed up with the Irish stereotypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭iniscealtra

I honestly think it’s the same in any country. My OH’s brother lives in Australia and all his friends are immigrants from various

I have spent Christmas with family, extended family, neighbours and have not seen friends yet. Many Irish people have large extended families. - aunts /uncles / cousins. It takes time to maintain those connections.

All of my friends are Irish now apart from a French friend who lives in France. I worked with my French friend in my early twenties and she moved home with an Irish OH. We kept the connection because they visit family here and I visit them occasionally,

All of my other friends are Irish. I live in my OH’s area but luckily went to university in the nearest city so I know people from college who live here which is great. Other friends are through my OH mostly. a cousin, a sibling, a couple we know, a friend we met at a festival, and someone from work. I am also active in a couple of local clubs and I meet people that way.

I did have French friends but they gravitated towards the city and put their kid in school there, so the friendship dissipated as their focus moved away from the area. They have since moved away and we didn’t keep contact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is not about being Irish, it's about being normal! And nobody wants you to hug anyone, but you are expected to behave appropriately to every other member of society. And being factual and not publishing ridicules comments would definitely help your credibility.

Most people have room in their lives for five to seven close contacts and once those slots fill up, they make very little effort to make room for any others. But in Ireland, unlike most other countries, we have this artificial friendlessness that some mistake for actually friendship. That is why you hear Irish people complaining about how cold other nations.

And this five to seven contacts applies to pretty much everyone. Any Irish person might have their quota filled by the time they are 20 or foreigner might have it filled within a year and have it full of expats. It's just how we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Grey123

Probably well covered. It's not the people but our environment (mostly).

Relatively small country and people tend to move around a lot less so people make school or college friends and keep them. Even if they move to a different city (usually Dublin) they will have friends there from "home" or can head home regularly. There is no nessessity.

When living in Dublin I found it frustrating at times that the aquantances I did have there would head home regularly on weekends and always long weekends. That's the time to turn aquantances into friends. If Ireland was larger going home for the weekend wouldn't be possible for most.

I lived abroad for years and made loads of friends from that country. However many of them didn't grow up or go to school in the city we lived in. This ment that they didn't have family priorities at the weekend or school friends around (maybe a couple who also moved there). So we spend lots of long weekend, Easter and even Christmas together some years. I suspect it would be rare for Irish friends to spend Christmas Day together in Ireland.

As others have said, the suburb living also has a factor, this is even more prominent outside of Dublin where most drive. An after work drink doesn't happen after a busy day etc.

Would be interesting if the OP returned to the thread to confirm if they managed to establish more fruitful connections with Irish people or continues to socialize primarily with other immigrants, assuming s/he is still in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ardatr

Hello all,

I hope all is well with you.

A lot has changed since I started this topic... Even though it doesn't seem like a long time has passed, I can say that my entire perspective on "friendship" and its definition has changed. At this point, I have neither the time nor the motivation to devote to a "long-term" friendship. I had and still have many Irish and other friends. However, none of them are at the depth that I would call a BFF or a long-term friendship. 

I agree with what is written on the subject: Once a certain circle of friends is formed, there is nothing more natural than not needing a new one. On the other hand, if I had to observe the situation specifically in Ireland - which may contain errors in every aspect, it is completely personal - I really love the Irish sense of humour. I can say that I observed their sarcastic tone and positive attitudes that softened and mocked people, even on serious issues.

But first of all, there is a language/accent barrier. Sometimes it can be difficult to follow a casual conversation. And constantly saying "pardon" or "sorry" and waiting for an explanation can be tiring for both parties, and a necessary "connection" cannot be established because it does not fit the flowing style of daily conversation. Which I understood better with the last date I went out with. 

Unfortunately, communication created a major barrier on a date with an Irish man who I felt really high energy with. Both my English and his accent, and my inability to understand him many times, really brought down the high energy. (I take full responsibility here, I continue to do my best about Irish-English) 

In short, it becomes very difficult to establish a deep friendship after a certain age due to the hustle and bustle of life, financial concerns, love life, work and many other reasons that I cannot think of. However, just as you said, it is of course possible to have pleasant conversations with common interests and meet-ups! 

Thanks again!

Advertisement