Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Refugees flee in the majority to neighbouring countries, last time I checked Syria are not in Europe nor are it's neighbours in the EU.

This is not very hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

People should make their feelings known about this issue to all of their local TDs plus Co. Councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Last time I checked Ukraine is not in the EU either a matter many seem to be ignoring.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I was editing it before you jumped on it.

Refugees flee in the majority to neighbouring countries, last time I checked Syria are not in Europe nor are it's neighbours in the EU.

Discuss.

Again, a large percentage have had their applications processed and still remain in DP.

Not a large percentage. But a decent number compared to those who have been processed, and have left? sure.

Many of those remaining should have been deported and haven't. Or they're not ready to go into the big bad world of providing for themselves, and facing the requirement of renewing their refugee status every three years, facing the real chance that it will be denied.

I'm not advocating for entitlements simply pointing out the hypocrisy at play. But just on the actual point of someone in DP entitlements. My Zero entitlements is in reference to what is being offered to Ukranians, I've absolutely no issue with basic supports but do have an issue with inequality and Hypocrisy.

It's a different scenario. You're merging circumstances. AS claimants come to Ireland to claim Asylum. They apply for that special status. Ukrainians haven't. They've come here as refugees, and are being presented with all these supports. There's a rather strong difference there.

Oh, I agree that there is a double standard at play. Ukrainians are suddenly Europeans, and worth being supported better than Irish people who are in need. They've been elevated to sainthood, with their backgrounds completely whitewashed and collectively held as victims. There's loads of hypocrisy, double standards and agendas at play there.

But don't conflate AS with them. We have issues with our DP and AS systems for other reasons... and in many cases, AS receive the same whitewashing and elevation to sainthood here on boards, as the Ukrainians have from the government.

They certainly get Accommodation, Meals , some medical benefit, they certainly don't get a PPS number, SW benefits or permission to work , indeed those who actually tried to get learner driver permits faced hurdles resulting in a case being brought to the high court and government loosing. They get a basic payment of around €38. 80 per week per adult and €29.80 per child SW payment.

Yadda Yadda Yadda. I don't care. They're AS claimants. They haven't been approved, their claims are suspended, or they haven't moved out of DP on their own steam. Very few of them are what we would originally have considered Asylum cases. The scope of what's considered Asylum has been expanded by politics, the UN and the NGOs for decades. They're not under serious threat for their lives, many of them have the means to support themselves, etc.

IF they were genuine Asylum cases, then they would be grateful for the opportunity to live in a safe place, free from persecution, and everything else would be provided by themselves. But that's not what modern Asylum is... Now, most Asylum is a safe place for economic migrants needing a helping hand to get started.

So, no... in some cases, Asylum is definitely needed, and we should help out.. but they're a minority these days.

• Advertisement

Certainly, so you think it's appropriate for a Government (Ireland) Devoid of a Plan,Resources, Infrastructure, Accommodation and already failing miserably to deal with its own crisis (to many to name) to openly invite Traumatised Refugee's to track across an entire continent via land, sea and air under a false premice of offering appropriate accommodation 🤔

Then when they realise the mess they've created start coming out with quite extraordinary solutions that defy even basic logic 🤔

Makes so much sense really.

I've conflated absolutely nothing, just pointing out basic facts. Those facing deportation is an entirely different matter and I say again a large percentage of processed ligitimate Asylum seekers, now technically Refugee's remain in DP and not out of choice. I form no opinion or judgement on what a basic financial support should be and only pointing out the disparity between what one refugee gets and Another doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

Yikes

imagine waking up and finding out your leisure centre is gone

feel sorry for the guy who has to randomly move his whole gym 😂

to openly invite Traumatised Refugee's to track across an entire continent via land, sea and air under a false premice of offering appropriate accommodation

Most of the ones I know hopped on a short direct flight in Poland. 😕

Also it's quite myopic to think countries are accepting refugees because they are "sound out" and are getting nothing in return.

But no argument from me our governance revels in average, but that can't an excuse for every single crisis. It's that sort of defeatism that maintains the status quo.

It's why 1000s of Ukrainians have already been directly helped by Irish people who recognised their needs can't wait for incompetence to finally sort it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mobius2021

That Arklow story is mad. Had to google it and found this article as well. Sure it's grand, just pay the people out of work from the cafe JobSeeker's, plenty money about. 😄 Absolutely bizarre stuff.

• Advertisement

I've conflated absolutely nothing, just pointing out basic facts.

Nope. You pointed out your opinions (or the opinions of others) on the topic. Again.. there's a difference involved.

Those facing deportation is an entirely different matter and I say again a large percentage of processed ligitimate Asylum seekers, now technically Refugee's remain in DP and not out of choice. 

You can say it as many times you want, repeating yourself, but that doesn't make it true.

I form no opinion or judgement on what a basic financial support should be and only pointing out the disparity between what one refugee gets and Another doesn't.

Sorry, but that's pure rubbish. Each of the posts of yours that I quoted and responded to were judgments over DP, and AS, and the belief that the system was not providing adequate entitlements to those involved.

AS are not "normal" refugees. The people involved could come to Ireland and claim the standard refugee status, but would be lacking the range of supports involved in AS... so, they decided to claim AS instead. They're not the same thing. Different scenarios, different requirements, and different costs to the State. AS was intended as a special case for refugees requiring more attention than the majority who didn't require such.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

The people making these decisions care only about one thing: property prices.

Their property prices.

They no more care about ukrainians, Irish people, the country, the generations of damage than they do about martians.

More people means more pressure means property price increases. That's it.

Every single thing they do, and don't do, leads to property price increases. How many more years do people need of this shameless carry-on before the penny drops?

If you want their attention, go after property.

If they're building buy to let's, to be sold off plans to investment companies who will charge maximum rent, what good is it to you? If it ended up a charred bit of wasteland, you haven't missed out. In fact, now you have their full attention.

Ditto for confiscated buildings, ditto for practically all construction bar a dribble for Irish people. Ditto for stolen amenity, ditto for repurposed facility, ditto for mnc with imported workforces for the sole purpose of tax evasion. And on and on and on.

If you want their immediate attention, go after the single thing they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

The current crop of economic migrants (AKA asylum seekers) who are in Direct Provision should be grateful for how slow the whole processing system is. Think about it - a single person in DP is granted full citizenship today, within say a week, gets a job, starting salary of say €27K He/she has to find & pay a hefty deposit for accommodation plus all other costs of living, taxes, medical, food, clothes etc. Granted there is more to being in gainful employment than the financial reward, but for probably less than nett €90 per week a migrant or indeed an Irish citizen would justifiably ask him/herself is work worth the hassle. I guess it explains why we have so many young, healthy people on the dole and related benefits while 100's of vacancies go without even a single applicant.

This happened a while back, but here's something I learned this morning, no names / Locations.

A Business man who owns a number of hotels (Seasonal) mainly, has just ceased hotel operations, taking no bookings and cancelled many. Now only catering to Refugee's.

Wonderful.........

Here's the Kicker, as these venues are now essentially being run as Direct provision centres (let's not kid ourselves, this is what they are) Staff have been let go as there is now essentially no need for most services beyond occasional room servicing (Also contracted out), Set meal plans now put in place so reduction in kitchen staff, Marketing (why bother) etc etc

I presume this occurring across the country in other Hotels. Seems not to long ago, Hotels were crying out for staff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yet amazing how many "asylum seekers" made the 5000kms trip from Nigeria to Ireland, never mind the dinghy ferries across the Med. And with the notable exceptions of Jordan, Turkey and Lebannon bugger all of the other neighbouring nations in the ME took in the fleeing Syrians.

The not in the EU bit doesn't wash either. Syrians were making their way to from a non EU country to Greece in huge numbers and last time I checked they're in the EU, even if Germany wasn't so sure they wanted them to be.

Syrians fleeing war on Europe's doorstep were refugees in camps in Jordan and asylum seekers coming here, whereas Ukrainians jumped the lable queue in double quick time.

Let's face facts here, uncomfortable though they may be; we've flung our doors wide open, taking in tens of thousands with no checks, medical, criminal or any other, no caps, full social supports, even driving licences FFS and are ploughing millions(likely a billion when the dust has settled) of taxpayers money into these refugees for the foreseeable even though this nation is facing crisis after crisis affecting our own that were apparently intractable three short months ago because a) Ukraine has far better "marketing" than Syria and b) quite simply because they're White, not Brown.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No Opinions (apart on my distain for double standards) just facts were offered, none of which have been proven to be incorrect 🤔

You need to reside in Ireland for at least three years to apply for citizenship. It's not being handed out to AS who don't meet the basic requirements.

While I would agree that those requirements or the standard to meet for citizenship is far too low... let's not exaggerate too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe you missed the part where these were people's workplaces. This isn't a case of moving a gym bag, ha ha. And damned right they should be angry about waking up one morning and being told to move their stuff out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hotels still are. Any that are shedding staff will find it impossible to re-hire them should they want to open later in the season; as those staff will be working for other, open, hotels.

• Advertisement

Perhaps but I wonder, I've my doubts and I say this having spent nearly 30 years in the sector (Thankfully gave it up a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Originally I am from Arklow and that place is not suitable to house refugees.

Ireland does not have the capacity to take in people on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

It would put the cat amongst the pigeons if Joe Public knew how much these hotels were being paid per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The problem is that there are those who seem determined to peddle the view that the movement of refugees fleeing the bombardment of their homes must somehow be subject to the same bottom line thinking of any old policy decision - that it must "make sense" on the balance sheet. They trumpet this as realpolitik, facts-over-feelings realism versus the virtue signalling snowflakes.

But wars and the fleeing of people from them are not the kind of things that sit neatly in the financial statements. Yes, they are an economic burden - of course they are. War sucks. Having to take an economic hit during a time of war sucks. But those who like to present themselves as the champions of facts over feelings seem to forget the facts that Ukrainians are fleeing the bombardment of their homes and sadly (a minute's silence for the profit & loss statement later) these "economic burdens" have to go somewhere.

In Ireland's case, the accountants on here who seem to demand a positive net present value from the arrival of refugees cite the housing crisis -- many I am sure with sincerity, and many with no sincerity at all.

But the housing crisis in Ireland goes far, far beyond the kind of scale of problem which Ukrainian refugees are going to tip over. As is oft repeated by David McWilliams -- we are a sparsely populated country with some of the most expensive property prices (not to mention high property vacancy rate despite current demand). That is a systemic issue - not one driven purely by the ebbs and flows of supply and demand. It is driven by policy that rewards property hoarding, un-entrpreneurial / non-innovative use of property portfolios and the exploitation and fear of change around all this by those who have profited from it. The systemic issue is one which is within our control. It is made by bad policy and can be unmade by good policy. But the war in Ukraine is not about policy. It is something different which requires a different appreciation of economics - one which is more willing to accept the negatives because that is the reality of war - it creates a hell of a lot more losers than it does winners.

The arrival of Ukrainian refugees brings logistic and financial difficulties - but it won't be those refugees who perpetuate the housing crisis, nor will not accepting them do anything to fix it.

Or proven to be correct.. when you claim something to be a fact, surely, you would understand that the onus is on you to prove it?

Oh! did I miss my golden opportunity to shout "provide evidence"?

I've no interest in a tug-a-war with you over DP, since likely you'll dismiss whatever I say anyway. It's pretty standard with those who are so supportive of AS claimants. Anyway, the main points about the difference between AS and Ukrainian refugees aren't affected by your "facts".

If you had an issue with the facts you could refute but didn't, oddly you appear to have agreed partially with what I've said.

Apparently €100 per night, can't say if that's per room or person.

quite simply because they're White, not Brown

Because they are European. Pure Geography.

But Jesus you are obsessed by race. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Have you anything to back up that figure you just quoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thats nothing wait til they wake up and their spare bedroom has been closed due to "emergency powers" :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement