Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

The problem is that there are those who seem determined to peddle the view that the movement of refugees fleeing the bombardment of their homes must somehow be subject to the same bottom line thinking of any old policy decision - that it must "make sense" on the balance sheet. They trumpet this as realpolitik, facts-over-feelings realism versus the virtue signalling snowflakes.

Ahh yes, because all the refugees are fleeing the bombardment of their homes? Um.. would you be aware of how many refugees left before the Russian advance (or its effects) reached them? People have been urged to leave before the Russians reached them.

Except "we" have a rather long history of not thinking of the bottom line. It's one of the reasons that the country is such a mess.

But wars and the fleeing of people from them are not the kind of things that sit neatly in the financial statements. Yes, they are an economic burden - of course they are. War sucks. Having to take an economic hit during a time of war sucks. But those who like to present themselves as the champions of facts over feelings seem to forget the facts that Ukrainians are fleeing the bombardment of their homes and sadly (a minute's silence for the profit & loss statement later) these "economic burdens" have to go somewhere.

So, you're championing feelings over facts then? yeah.. that's worked out so well over the last few months, hasn't it?

But you're deflecting in any case. While dismissing the concerns about economics, you completely avoid dealing with those concerns.

Where does the money come from to provide all this help? Are we cutting into the magic tree again? Where and how do we house all these refugees? How do we ensure that Irish people in genuine need are not bypassed (because their needs won't suddenly be paused to adjust to your feelings).

Show me how the economic or hard practical considerations have been taken into account, or accommodated (without sacrificing the future in the process), and I'll happily join you on the emotional train of zero responsibility.

The rest is more of the same deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

What do people in DP need a basic pay of almost €40 pw for, plus almost €30 for each child? Just curious, as there are NO bills to pay, no food needed to be bought, no outgoings....€40 per adult and €30 per child per week as pocket money would be absolutely fabulous in this house anyway, because right now, there is nothing spare....

Not even slightly..

Leaving all this there. We've reached that point where further discussion becomes useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

And who did Sutherland bring along to meet his Bilderburg pals, Simon Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Plus food I would think.

You cant cook in a hotel room, so food will be provided and paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ahh yes, because all the refugees are fleeing the bombardment of their homes? Um.. would you be aware of how many refugees left before the Russian advance (or its effects) reached them? People have been urged to leave before the Russians reached them.

About 5% according to the BBC.

• only 5% had left their homes in anticipation of the invasion, with the vast majority fleeing either at the start of the war or when it reached their area

It's another sense of utter shock when you speak to them that they have, never in a million years did they think a country with such close ties would engage in a full scale invasion, there was disbelief even when the missiles rained down at 4am at the start of it.

Also the majority of Ukrainians who have left their homes are still in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Ukrainian refugees in centres such as Millstreet and the one in Roscommon are getting €203 per week and getting their food provided also plus they've no bills to pay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Refugee business must be more lucrative than coffee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Your obsessed with avoiding reality, every day banging on about "racism".

It's weird. 😕

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hang on, I thought I was the racist in the multicultural threads, but me suggesting racism could be in play here is avoiding reality? Sorry I won't have what your smoking.

But yet again you avoided my points like the plague. Syrian refugees were turning up in their hundreds of thousands in Europe, in the EU. Fact. Or did the Greeks imagine it? Did the Germans? Did the Swedes? Did we even hint that the Irish government and people would open our doors to 200,000 Syrians over the course of a decade? Bollocks we did, yet we have for Ukrainians in a month and you simply have no answer for that other than "it's in Europe".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They probably wont have an incentive to go home except to visit maybe in the future. Ukraine had a bad economy with working people paid poorly probably on average around 450 euro per month. They could almost get that after a couple weeks here on the dole for free. So we need to look to the long term for this, and if we are putting them in remote places, they will have difficulties getting full time jobs probably. I dont see how anybody on the dole refugee or not, has an incentive to work partime, as the dole is equivalent of a part time salary except for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I used the word "Apparently" but am fully aware of what a room rate to include full meal service is.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You do realise they are only entitled to stay for 12 months (but that may be extended to 3 years). This is being driven by the EU, not Ireland. The EU has placed no cap on the number of refugees it will take. Ireland is simply reflecting what the EU is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Two hotels that I'm aware of are being paid €135.00 per day/night per room, that's assuming 2 occupants per room. That's €945.00 per week. Both hotels are 3 star, but I assume the no. of stars are not relevant in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

So will we see deportations then after the inevitable extension to 3 years or how does that process work. Or will it just be tied up in appeals until citizenship is gained by some method?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was mentioned earlier in this thread. We have also seen a couple of figures as to how much all off this will "cost" Ireland - that at one stage was €36k per refugee per annum but then became €500m per 10,000 refugees which works out at €50k per refugee per annum, but that includes all costs, including social welfare payments, medical costs, schools etc

€100 per night is €36k per year - I would suspect someone took that €36k previously mentioned and divided by 365 days. Hence I'm not sure that €100 per night has much of a basis - €100 per day for all costs per refugee (accommodation, social welfare, schools etc) would be in line with that

Equally I suspect all these figures remain very rough and ready estimates, particularly as housing someone in a hotel is clearly going to cost a lot more than housing them in Garristown barracks.

Maybe direct your question at the EU? They are the ones driving this

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes agreed and I used the word apparently, I'm sure there are discounted, Blocked booked rates etc but food costs and services also have to be factored in. But point taken.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Again with racism. 😕

It's very simple, there is a potential there for 10s of millions of people to flee a country in Europe (worst case scenario), which would overwhelm the neighbouring countries where traditionally the vast majority of refugees who leave congregate, it's a tactic Putin is using to destabilise these countries, most of whom are in the EU.

The 2 mostly likely scenarios then are the neighbouring countries close their borders further escalating a massive humanitarian crisis inside the country that is a tiny bit busy trying to fight off Soviet expansion or they "forcibly move" on who enters their territory. Thus creating a far bigger crisis for the rest of Europe.

I'm sorry but no amount of the usual internet edgelordism will change that stark reality.

But someone is racist something something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, to be fair, I don’t quite see it as being beyond the realms of understandability that one would pre-emptively flee a coming invading army, nor do I think it to be a pre-requisite for showing compassion for a fleeing person that they must first have waited for a missile to hit their house before they up and leave. The logical alternative seems incredibly unrealistic — that a person should be expected to wait until the very last moment, literally as tanks trundle down their street, to be seen as validly fleeing a war (at which point, transport options might be exhausted and the road out increasingly dangerous).

And no, I’m not really championing feelings over facts — I’m simply restating the facts. The war in Ukraine is a fact. That people flee war is a fact. That those people have to go somewhere is a fact. That this presents difficulties and economic burden is a fact — but that those difficulties do not change the fact that something has to be done about the fact. It’s facts all the way here man, and just as well as one might say that facts shouldn’t care about your feelings, it’s equally true right now to say that the facts of war in Ukraine don’t care about the facts of the economic burden of refugees in Ireland. And the bottom-line fact remains that there isn’t really anything we can do about those facts that’s going to present the kind of net positive outcomes that some here seem to think we should demand from a crisis of war.

You're saying that I’m avoiding the economics but I’m addressing head-on the economic argument that seems to be at the forefront here — the housing crisis — and pointing out that this crisis runs far deeper than being materially affected on a long term basis by Ukrainian refugees. The housing crisis requires systemic overhaul in Ireland in respect of the power of the landowning class versus those who own little to none — from planning, to NIMBYism, to the hoarding of property etc etc. Admitting or not admitting Ukrainian refugees, while it may pose material short term issues (it will cost money, getting accommodation will be problematic), is not the primary long term material variable for the future of housing in Ireland.

That is not to hide the negative effect of refugees arriving in large number — but if you’re waiting for the thesis with the tidy planning, the cash flow charts, the logistical perfection of how Ireland deals with the unexpected invasion of a huge country of 44 million people in modern Europe then I don’t think you’re being as realistic as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Ah someone is having a laugh off the Irish citizens in this country at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I heard over the weekend that due to a bottleneck in vetting that only around 200 Irish families had taken in Ukrainian refugees so far.

Mad that this thread has nearly 1500 posts if that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

I’m aware of that, they paid them off to stay quiet and not cause a fuss but that’s a terrible thing to do. The guy who owns the whole gym though, imagine having to move an entire gym with no notice. Equipment is really heavy. Same for the woman who owns the spin studio

I think it’s terrible, there should be outrage over that

I imagine they chose it because of the shower facilities? Terrible to do that do the community though, especially with arklow being a small town

That’s terrifying. I’m sure the Seizing of holiday homes will come first though.

mobile home parks would be a good option if they paid people to let them stay for a month or two. Nobody really uses their mobile home until late may/early June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Problem is though that once you have given up your holiday home, you probably wont get it back if you want it back.

Wouldnt surprise me either if someone gave their spare room to a refugee but they didnt get on that they cant then get them moved on.

Its a total shambles.

Theyve done the same to property investment. Loose talk made the outlook too bleak that noone wants to enter the market except huge companies. Same now is going to happen with housing refugees. Ask for a guarantee that they will be moved within a few days if you dont get on with them. If you get that guarantee, in very clearly worded text, then go ahead with it. If you dont, stay well away. Imagine being stuck with someone you dont get on with in your own house and you cant get them to leave.

Wicklow County Council has initiated the set-up of emergency contingency beds temporarily at Coral Leisure Centre Arklow.  The Swimming Pool and Gym Facility at the Centre remain open.

Imagine being stuck with someone you dont get on with in your own house and you cant get them to leave.

Why wouldn't you be able to get them to leave?

• Advertisement

Oh okay I didn’t see that. Still the owner of the spin studio was told to move her equipment immediately. That’s a pretty ruthless thing to do, especially after businesses have lost so much due to the lockdowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement