Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭User1998

Just bring it to a local independent garage and get them to carry out any necessary NCT repairs. If you had of got the breaks done by the main dealer it would be substantially more than what an independent would charge so your still saving money despite the €28.

If you don’t mind complaining then you might as well but I’m not sure what they would offer you if your not willing to go back to them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seeing a lot of number plates with chunky numbers in relief - is there some reason why someone would put them on? Do they think it confuses ANPR?

Terrible looking imo, with the EU symbol in black and white. Like a cheap photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

4D gel plates I think they're called.

Just an aesthetic, I'm sure the people that paid for them like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s mainly the same sort of person who would have gotten German plates a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

German plates aren't cool with the youths anymore so they've moved onto the "4d" and gel number plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I was going to buy some wiper blades on mister auto but it says for left hand drive vehicles. But if you buy two wipers that at the correct length surly that’s the same for RHD vehicle just the wipers swap sides or am I missing something here ? As in a wiper blade will fit on the left or right side or is it they would end up being upside down and not work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You just reminded me of the time I got wiper blades in Halfords for my BMW e39. I was fitting them and it said drivers side and passenger side, fitted them anyway without even thinking and sure enough I had them the wrong way around. Where ever Halford had purchased them wiper blades it was for a European car. So I just switched them around and it was fine. So yea you should be fine but don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I looked into it further it doesn’t seem to matter if you have the old style wipers but the aero type are not symmetrical ie are different top and bottom so can only go on either LHD or RHD. I found the RHD version of the ones I was looking for on a different site and bought them there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Is the cars & coffee at Bray no longer a thing?

Think there was issues with insurance or something, last I'd read about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Ruined by yobs late last year (donuts, etc.) so the organiser gave up.

They started to have to park cars to slow people exiting do the classic 'car show exit' as well after some ***** put his RX7 into a hedge a few months before the pandemic hit.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

put his RX7 into a hedge a few months before the pandemic hit

Was that not even longer ago. As I remember someone on here had just got a RX8 and he said he was talking to other RX8 owners about that incident at some meet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Its always some group of tools, the same happened to the one at Carrickmines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Maybe I've gotten my timelines messed up....I'm sure there's a secret Whatsapp or telegram group where the responsible owners are organising meet ups.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

It is still a thing, first Sunday of every month 10am until 12 or 1pm. Coffee delights Southern cross bray. The old organisers from backroads.ie stopped running them but someone on Instagram kept promoting same dates. The numbers vary a lot but typically 20+ cars, much more on good summer days.

The same event in Dundalk on same day has 200+ cars and more parking space. Much more popular with Marshall's in high Viz.

The crash at bray was an RX8, there was video of the actual crash and it went viral worldwide.

There is typically a few rx8s at the bray meets, sometimes rx7s and rarely the odd exotic old rotary, along with many other things. This month's theme is 4x4

If you log in here you can see photos if some exotics on recent Bray meets

http://www.backroads.ie/forum/car-related/show-n-shine/934724-c-c-in-bray-2022/page6#post955097

@zg3409 OK good to know people are still attending. I went up a few weeks ago and there wasn't a single car there. I'll go to the next one and see what its like.

I was behind a very smokey Ford Focus today. I had to roll up the windows it was pretty bad. The whole time behind him I was thinking how the hell did that pass the NCT. Who ever was driving it drives slow and weird by pressing accelerator and releasing all the time as I could see the smoke every time they pressed it. I obviously release the pedal myself but this person was on and off on straights which I thought was weird.

This is from April 3rd meet. I am sure on first Sunday of the month there were cars there. It's often quiet after noon, but 11am would be peak crowd.

I seen this fúcker again today. Well I seen the smoke before I seen him. There I was driving along and next thing loads of smoke he was driving towards me and I was like is that him again and sure enough it was him. He really needs a NCT to get that car off the road.

• Advertisement

I need a bit of help. A light came on in my engine bay. I'm not sure what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it’s a VW then orange is more a caution, if it’s red it’s serious and you shouldn’t drive it.

Everyone knows yellow and orange warning lights aren't important

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Thats the low fuel indicator.....put some Petrol on it

I either met them, or a friend this morning on the way to work.

Couldn't see the car properly with traffic and the smoke screen they were kicking up. Had to let the windows down to get the smell out of the car, not ideal before 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I walked to the shop at our local petrol station. A mother and her son filled up and went in to pay and the son grabbed a can of coke. Must have been inside less than a minute.

Meanwhile a chap pulled up outside behind her car at the pump and started blasting the horn. When the mother & son emerged there was much hand-waving and shouting. Another chap got stuck in and pretty much told what's his problem??

Now nobody should be losing the head over something so minor. Sure enough the chap filled up and drove into a parking space and then went inside to pay. What an amazing citizen not blocking the pumps but still feels entitled to shout at strangers.

Do the good posters here leave the car at the pump and pay up or is that unacceptable? To be honest I never thought of it before. I leave the car at the pump, I will have paid in a less than a minute. Or is this a cardinal sin?

I leave my car at the pump either I'm getting fuel or not, the petrol station I use doesn't actually have any parking spaces

I leave my car at the pump too. Never heard or really seen someone fill and then drive to a parking space. Also would it not mess up the counter in the shop when you go to pay as someone would reset it before you pay and the cashier would have to believe you when you say how much you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ah here, do you not think they have the technology to keep track of fill ups. I rarely post here anymore but I couldn't help bite when reading such horsesh*te.

• Advertisement

Great contribution to the thread. Long time lurker small time poster. Lurking everyday at the posts but will not post anything just to look cool. New boards is sh*te so I will lurk all the time and not post just to prove a point. And don't feed me sh*te that today is your first time to check boards.ie in months yea right. On here everyday, trying to look cool.

Advertisement